Toys R Us Closing its doors in the UK same fate expected for US stores

Rupe

All Toys R Us stores in the UK will close in the next six weeks following the chain's collapse into administration.

Attempts to find a buyer for the US retailer's 100 stores in the UK have failed.

The article also goes on to say

The US parent company filed for bankruptcy in September and reports suggest it may start closing its 800 stores in the US as early as this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43401674

Sad news, I remember going into Toys R Us as a kid and seeing the shelf of bey blades, having to pick my favorite, good times.

Personally I believe this is very likely due to the rise in online shopping. The article also names other high street chains that are struggling at the moment. The only reason to get something in store these days is if it is an item that one likes to see/try first like clothes. Or they need it now! Otherwise next day delivery, stores just cannot beat that convenience.

Sorry if this is not techy enough for tech news but I do believe this closure is partly due to online shopping and they did sell allot of tech

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

I guess it's time to grow up.

R.I.P. my childhood.

23 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I guess it's time to grow up.

R.I.P. my childhood.

But I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid...

Reminds me of the old commercials and their song/jingle. Never see their commercials anymore, the internet has killed them in more than one way. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

The real reason behind their decline is more related to what entertains the kids of today, AKA apps and other non-physical items (as well as poor financial choices by Toys-R-Us management). Kids nowadays don't want toys nearly as much as they used to. See this vid for a good explanation:

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I remember going there and everything being twice as expensive as Walmart so I never got to buy anything. They always had fun toys but I think the only thing I ever actually bought from Toys R Us were Amiibos, a year ago

Back in the day I got my Yu-Gi-Oh cards and little dinosaur toys from there..?

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

There's still Toys“R”Us in Canada, at least for now.

That said, I haven't set foot in there since Christmas shopping 2 years ago... only to realize everything I had bought was also available at Walmart for much cheaper, so I promptly returned everything.

Toys“R”Us, just like Sears was, is expensive as hell, I don't expect them to survive much longer if they don't lower their profit margin a little to be competitive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

How is this worthy of a topic on tech forum ?
Were they selling good robots ?!

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Toys"r"us is still alive and kicking here in Sweden. That said I'm not that impressed with my local store. High prices and lacking in every aspect apart from Lego. 

3 hours ago, Thony said:

How is this worthy of a topic on tech forum ?
Were they selling good robots ?!

Toy R Us at my place sells Gundam figure and Transformers, maybe some bionicles

WHAT!!!!!!!!!?

Toys R Us in Canada is aways busy, ALWAYS!

They should close certain low profit stores.

Most people just go to Walmart but if you want something that Waltons doesnt sell then its good. TRU Saved my ass last Christmas.

I don't know how I feel about this... As someone who probably will be a parent in the next decade or so, going to toy stores to pick out toys is such a good way to bond with your kids. It's something you just can't get from looking and ordering on Amazon.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Sears/KMart is right behind them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have some very fond memories as a child of picking the little paper for games like Metroid, Blaster Master and Ninja Gaiden 2 and then waiting for them to bring up the brand new NES cartridge goodness, sad to see them go but such are the times.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dunno about now but they were terribly overpriced when I was a kid in the mid-90s. Only games were like 10$ more expensive than elsewhere...

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Sears is long gone, they even auctioned off the store shelves LMFAO

34 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sears/KMart is right behind them. 

I'm surprised (not really) that people are jumping on the "AMAZON RUINED TOYSRUZ!!" bandwaggon. 

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Sears is long gone, they even auctioned off the store shelves LMFAO

No the company still exists at least here in the States. Sears has stores open, and sears owns Kmart. Which also has stores open. Every year they close at least 100 if not more stores however. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

Toy R Us at my place sells don't care and irrelevant, maybe some bionicles

Which ones?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It was always a worthless store.

Always had to hunt down a cashier and when you did there wasnt anybody working it, and if they were they were on their cell phone.

Then you had to walk through the reeking perfume aisle, thats like Shoppers Drug Mart where they force you to walk through that shit, expensive useless perfume that is liquid gold for profit.

Atleast with Toys R Us if you have money, you can let your child choose by letting them loose. Walmart has no selection.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Which ones?

uhh, not really a fan of bionicles (more of gundam for me), so i don't know what type you're looking for(and what i'm looking at) but yea there's bionicles in there

RIP my childhood.

I remember getting all my N64 games, and my N64 there.

These are sad days we live in. Going to be somewhat hilarious to see how businesses handle no one being able to afford their products because no one has a job or a job that allows them to buy things that are not necessities.

Fast Food will be the first to suffer.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

12 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Toys"r"us is still alive and kicking here in Sweden. That said I'm not that impressed with my local store. High prices and lacking in every aspect apart from Lego. 

If I remember right Toys "r" us in Scandinavia isn't actually Toys "r" us, it's another company that have the licence to use the name on their stores.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking