Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

"One thing SCR noticed during disassembly was the excessive use of sealant–Subaru used an absolute ton of it. While Subaru did their best to make sure the engine wasn’t going to leak any oil, it certainly made it difficult to disassemble. SCR had to cut the sealant, working all the way around the perimeter of the part just to separate it. This proved VERY time intensive to separate and clean the components of all the sealant." Great news. I wana see them after a few more years though. If they end up lasting into the high mileage then the BRZ and FRS are going to be heavily sought after in the used car market. Fortunately I think they sold enough that they wont be insanely expensive... kinda like the Miata.    wat. New Supra? This is news to me. Is it gonna compete with the NSX or be its own?

It was at the auto show in Detroit in January

wait, boxer engines have oil leak problems? Any reason why its common @vetali ??

What other problems do boxer engines have? (im kind of new to them) I've heard they are very reliable but apparently that isn't the case?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"One thing SCR noticed during disassembly was the excessive use of sealant–Subaru used an absolute ton of it. While Subaru did their best to make sure the engine wasn’t going to leak any oil, it certainly made it difficult to disassemble. SCR had to cut the sealant, working all the way around the perimeter of the part just to separate it. This proved VERY time intensive to separate and clean the components of all the sealant."

Great news. I wana see them after a few more years though. If they end up lasting into the high mileage then the BRZ and FRS are going to be heavily sought after in the used car market. Fortunately I think they sold enough that they wont be insanely expensive... kinda like the Miata. 

"SCR speculated Subaru didn’t want to use a composite gasket as it becomes a failure point. Subaru has a fairly good track record to support their decision, though, as all EJ-series Subaru motors have sealant in between the block halves, and you hardly ever hear about leaking there. It’s basically two machined surfaces with sealant: so there’s no way it can develop a leak unless there’s been excessive force or improperly applied."

That's what they ditched the carbon comp for...

System: Thinkpad T460

wait, boxer engines have oil leak problems? Any reason why its common @vetali ??

What other problems do boxer engines have? (im kind of new to them) I've heard they are very reliable but apparently that isn't the case?

The first gen EJ engines were notorious for oil leaks. I think mostly because of failed head gaskets.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The first gen EJ engines were notorious for oil leaks. I think mostly because of failed head gaskets.

and those were used in the mid-90's subaru's or ? 

My question was sort of concerning the GT86/BRZ/FR-S family. Do those have problems or was @vetali just hating the boxer engines? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My question was sort of concerning the GT86/BRZ/FR-S family. Do those have problems or was @vetali just hating the boxer engines? 

Well probably because they're a bitch to work on. I believe that's why.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It isn't confirmed. we just meant the concept that might become the spiritual successor.

It was at the auto show in Detroit in January

Ok well if they bring back an I6 then I'm hype. 

Yes on the EJ25s. I'm sure there is some science-y explanation as to why they leak like oil sitting in the galleries at sealing points constantly. I also in general hate working on them. It takes me 30 minutes to time a timing belt on one of those... I HATE them and I always get it wrong my first try. Even during a reseal where you pull the motor and do it on an engine stand I mess it up. Meanwhile I can time a Toyota in less than 5 minutes. 

"SCR speculated Subaru didn’t want to use a composite gasket as it becomes a failure point. Subaru has a fairly good track record to support their decision, though, as all EJ-series Subaru motors have sealant in between the block halves, and you hardly ever hear about leaking there. It’s basically two machined surfaces with sealant: so there’s no way it can develop a leak unless there’s been excessive force or improperly applied."

That's what they ditched the carbon comp for...

I've never seen one leaking from the half. Its always oil pan, rear main, front seals, headgasket, or valve covers. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Yes on the EJ25s. I'm sure there is some science-y explanation as to why they leak like oil sitting in the galleries at sealing points constantly. I also in general hate working on them. It takes me 30 minutes to time a timing belt on one of those... I HATE them and I always get it wrong my first try. Even during a reseal where you pull the motor and do it on an engine stand I mess it up. Meanwhile I can time a Toyota in less than 5 minutes. 

I've never seen one leaking from the half. Its always oil pan, rear main, front seals, headgasket, or valve covers. 

IDK, it might be sourced from BMW since they're the only company i know now that still uses inline 6s. Toyota's legendary inline sixes died off a long time ago. Maybe they will create a new one exclusive to this car? That'd be pretty cool.

Yeah older ones, I've never seen the Toyoburu in our shop... but they're just now starting to get popular here. 

One thing I can say that is good about the engine in them is that it uses Toyota's GDI+PFI system. It eliminates the issues of carbon buildup on normal GDI systems.

IDK, it might be sourced from BMW since they're the only company i know now that still uses inline 6s. Toyota's legendary inline sixes died off a long time ago. Maybe they will create a new one exclusive to this car? That'd be pretty cool.

I'd be okay with either.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Yeah older ones, I've never seen the Toyoburu in our shop... but they're just now starting to get popular here. 

One thing I can say that is good about the engine in them is that it uses Toyota's GDI+PFI system. It eliminates the issues of carbon buildup on normal GDI systems.

I'd be okay with either.

I honestly would prefer a Toyota inline 6. I wasn't a big fan of BMW's 6s. Their V8s i felt were much better. Especially the S62 on an E39 M5 with a muffler delete. It sounds raw.

I honestly would prefer a Toyota inline 6. I wasn't a big fan of BMW's 6s. Their V8s i felt were much better. Especially the S62 on an E39 M5 with a muffler delete. It sounds raw.

1jz?

1jz?

More like 2JZ block and 1JZ head. So 1.5JZ is more like it. :D

More like 2JZ block and 1JZ head. So 1.5JZ is more like it. :D

Nope.. 1j.. ;)

Nope.. 1j.. ;)

I'd rather have a stronger bottom end. The 2JZ seems to fit that well. And i would fit a 1JZ head instead

I'd rather have a stronger bottom end. The 2JZ seems to fit that well. And i would fit a 1JZ head instead

Ryan tureck has been abusing the shit out of that car for 3 seasons now..

replaced the exhaust on my car (full system) including a new header. It's a 2002 mazda protege 5 for anybody interested. 

It is a Mazad, so I'll give you a pass... But next time go for a muscle car. 

Here is my car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWxsvytWP0

They're still butter smooth. 

What if, and probably not gonna happen... what if they put a Lexus 3.5l motor in it?

Well Subaru is figuring out the gasket problems as the newer one's don't suffer as much as the late 90's early-mid 00's. We can only wait and see how the 4U does. And I would love it if Subaru just put a v6 in a Legacy or a i4 in a BRZ just for the sake of being easier but it isn't going to happen.

Well Subaru is figuring out the gasket problems as the newer one's don't suffer as much as the late 90's early-mid 00's. We can only wait and see how the 4U does. And I would love it if Subaru just put a v6 in a Legacy or a i4 in a BRZ just for the sake of being easier but it isn't going to happen.

Hood line would have to be changed too much to put an i4 in there. Unless they slant it like the s2k. 

Hood line would have to be changed too much to put an i4 in there. Unless they slant it like the s2k. 

Sure, I wasn't literally saying drop a 4 cylinder in it. That wasn't the point.

Just saw a bmw m3 (1997) convertible lowered, all 4 wheels were bent inwards, the owner ruined the car so much, he couldn't get it over speed humps without slowing it right down, why would you ruin a car like that?!?

This might be a nice point to show my wheels (found a good open spot to take some pics)

5cf90943b3.jpg

cf6b816216.jpg

fe190b5110.jpg

fa8539d9e4.jpg

6d89ae859d.jpg

We got this car way back in '06 secondhand... The previous owner hadn't used it that much and she handled real well... Up to now the only problems we had were failed brakes, dead ignition coil, and a dead O2 sensor... And that was over the course of 10 years of heavy use...

She's got battle scars all over and most of them were not even our fault nor were they avoidable...

All in all a very nice and reliable car... If you treat her right and drive her properly, she can keep pace with cars above her class...

I'm wanting to give her a better clutch, shifter, and flywheel... and maybe a gearbox swap with a Miata...

Also can anyone help me ID my engine? It's either a Mazda B6 1.6L or a Z6 1.6L (with Ford branding)... I'm not entirely sure...

1bede779ff.jpg

This might be a nice point to show my wheels (found a good open spot to take some pics)

5cf90943b3.jpg

cf6b816216.jpg

fe190b5110.jpg

fa8539d9e4.jpg

6d89ae859d.jpg

We got this car way back in '06 secondhand... The previous owner hadn't used it that much and she handled real well... Up to now the only problems we had were failed brakes, dead ignition coil, and a dead O2 sensor... And that was over the course of 10 years of heavy use...

She's got battle scars all over and most of them were not even our fault nor were they avoidable...

All in all a very nice and reliable car... If you treat her right and drive her properly, she can keep pace with cars above her class...

I'm wanting to give her a better clutch, shifter, and flywheel... and maybe a gearbox swap with a Miata...

Also can anyone help me ID my engine? It's either a Mazda B6 1.6L or a Z6 1.6L (with Ford branding)... I'm not entirely sure...

1bede779ff.jpg

That looks like the same 1.6 in the Mazda PRotege. But just rebranded.

They're still butter smooth. 

What if, and probably not gonna happen... what if they put a Lexus 3.5l motor in it?

You mean like a V6? Not sure if i like it. And besides, it's not a Lexus motor, it's sourced from Toyota, so it's technically still toyota.