Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

any wallet friendly upgrades one could perform on a 2004 volvo v40 1.9 diesel?

Air filter? I dunno.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

For the last couple of years Honda and Toyota have lost their quality.

How do you back this up?

My mom has a 2015 Toyota and it's great and does everything it's supposed to. Much better than our 2007 Toyota and the 1997 & 1995 ones naturally.

My parents only buy Toyota's lol.

System: Thinkpad T460

Please tell me this isn't so. Honda I can believe, but Toyota? Those things have a reputation for being bullet proof.

Honda and toyota has been in a slow decline ever since the early 2000s. But like a Hondas Dyno chart it feels like it will get higher rate. For example the 8th gen si needed a transmission replacement in 50k or less.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Please tell me this isn't so. Honda I can believe, but Toyota? Those things have a reputation for being bullet proof.

As far as Honda, the 2012 civic was awful and they had to change a bunch for 2013. Early 9th gen Si got recalled due to piston rings not sealing enough. The new Fit was poorly assembled in early production, doors hitting fenders while opening and bad paint work. I haven't heard much bad about the new Accords. 

That said, I'd still take any of them over a newer Toyota. They're like rental car quality, early 2000s GM interior bad. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

I never said they were worse off then other big brands. But they have come down to their level.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

As far as Honda, the 2012 civic was awful and they had to change a bunch for 2013. Early 9th gen Si got recalled due to piston rings not sealing enough. The new Fit was poorly assembled in early production, doors hitting fenders while opening and bad paint work. I haven't heard much bad about the new Accords. 

That said, I'd still take any of them over a newer Toyota. They're like rental car quality, early 2000s GM interior bad. 

Hey hey now, the new Toyotas are still good. And they have improved styling, MASSIVELY. The Camry, especially, has come a long way since 1982. And Toyota trucks are still rugged and dependable, even today.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hey hey now, the new Toyotas are still good. And they have improved styling, MASSIVELY. The Camry, especially, has come a long way since 1982. And Toyota trucks are still rugged and dependable, even today.

You can get a current Accord with a 6 speed. You haven't been able to get a manual Camry for a while. Now with Honda dipping back into the sport compact market, Toyota has nothing to compete because they're too focused on eco shitboxes. The new tCs are crap compared to the previous gen even. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

You can get a current Accord with a 6 speed. You haven't been able to get a manual Camry for a while. Now with Honda dipping back into the sport compact market, Toyota has nothing to compete because they're too focused on eco shitboxes. The new tCs are crap compared to the previous gen even. 

The tC isn't even crap. It's still nice and sporty. And i'm pretty sure the Corolla still has a manual box for sporty people.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I mean, if all you can complain about is the interior... they didn't sell you the car without letting you look at the inside.

And I have not heard of any major problems with Toyota's lately. And having been in Toyota's since 80's Toyota's I still don't question their reliability. 

Does a company have to make sporty cars to be good? Toyota never advertised Camry's or Rolla's as "sports cars"

Does a company have to make sporty cars to be good? Toyota never advertised Camry's or Rolla's as "sports cars"

Well technically the newest Corolla is kinda sporty. Even the E120 XRS was sporty.

The tC isn't even crap. It's still nice and sporty. And i'm pretty sure the Corolla still has a manual box for sporty people.

Compared to the old one? The styling is worse and the interior is somehow much worse. Which the original tC had a meh interior. You can't compare a Corolla to an Accord. Toyota is just rolling on the fact that they're reliable and people will buy it regardless. I'm pretty harsh against modern Toyota because the standard older Toyota set. Now it feels Americanized. 

Well technically the newest Corolla is kinda sporty. Even the E120 XRS was sporty.

the corolla is supposed to be sporty. But its also supposed to be an economical small car for your average citizen... its a weird mixed-role car.

Luckily my 8th gen has independent rear suspension and is one of the more sporty corolla's providing you get the S model (which I upgraded my struts too). Pretty fun little car now. Just not powerful at all, wish I had the manual the automatic is a slush box

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Compared to the old one? The styling is worse and the interior is somehow much worse. Which the original tC had a meh interior. You can't compare a Corolla to an Accord. Toyota is just rolling on the fact that they're reliable and people will buy it regardless. I'm pretty harsh against modern Toyota because the standard older Toyota set. Now it feels Americanized. 

Styling? Worse? I call bullshit. It still looks as great or even better than the previous tC

Styling? Worse? I call bullshit. It still looks as great or even better than the previous tC

I disagree, but its opinion. The first gen looks awesome while the newer ones look like Toyota was trying too hard to shake off the image that the tC was a girls car. 

I disagree, but its opinion. The first gen looks awesome while the newer ones look like Toyota was trying too hard to shake off the image that the tC was a girls car.

That's what I always thought and still think about the tC. Want a sports car? Buy an FRS.

That's what I always thought and still think about the tC. Want a sports car? Buy an FRS.

Too bad its subaru. 

Too bad I don't care

If need be, I can give you a few reasons why you should.

For starters.

If need be, I can give you a few reasons why you should.

For starters.

Haven't heard of any problems from the "4U" so far

http://www.revvolution.com/blog/2014/03/tearing-down-and-assessing-the-fa20-4u-gse

You can carry on driving the boxer hate train though and those 4 cylinders did have head gasket issues but you know about that if you buy the car. Or you can avoid it and buy something else. 

The new supra tho

The new supra tho

It actually has a really really good look. I want it to feature another inline 6 to go along with the Supra spirit.

Haven't heard of any problems from the "4U" so far

http://www.revvolution.com/blog/2014/03/tearing-down-and-assessing-the-fa20-4u-gse

You can carry on driving the boxer hate train though and those 4 cylinders did have head gasket issues but you know about that if you buy the car. Or you can avoid it and buy something else.

"One thing SCR noticed during disassembly was the excessive use of sealant–Subaru used an absolute ton of it. While Subaru did their best to make sure the engine wasn’t going to leak any oil, it certainly made it difficult to disassemble. SCR had to cut the sealant, working all the way around the perimeter of the part just to separate it. This proved VERY time intensive to separate and clean the components of all the sealant."

Great news. I wana see them after a few more years though. If they end up lasting into the high mileage then the BRZ and FRS are going to be heavily sought after in the used car market. Fortunately I think they sold enough that they wont be insanely expensive... kinda like the Miata. 

The new supra tho

It actually has a really really good look. I want it to feature another inline 6 to go along with the Supra spirit.

wat. New Supra? This is news to me. Is it gonna compete with the NSX or be its own?

"One thing SCR noticed during disassembly was the excessive use of sealant–Subaru used an absolute ton of it. While Subaru did their best to make sure the engine wasn’t going to leak any oil, it certainly made it difficult to disassemble. SCR had to cut the sealant, working all the way around the perimeter of the part just to separate it. This proved VERY time intensive to separate and clean the components of all the sealant."

Great news. I wana see them after a few more years though. If they end up lasting into the high mileage then the BRZ and FRS are going to be heavily sought after in the used car market. Fortunately I think they sold enough that they wont be insanely expensive... kinda like the Miata. 

wat. New Supra? This is news to me. Is it gonna compete with the NSX or be its own?

It isn't confirmed. we just meant the concept that might become the spiritual successor.