Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ah shit man that sucks. You couldn't have like dragged some scuff pad across the cam lobes and journals when no one was looking?

I am gonna call them about some very light scoring on two followers to see what happens but I assume if it passes the finger nail test then they won't do anything. Other than that its immaculate with no carbon build up. I checked the vtec solenoid on the front bank and there was nothing in the screen. Rear one is a pita even outside of the car. The copper is very fine but obvious when draining the oil.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

12 hours ago, vetali said:

Its getting a new short block for a low end knock + copper glitter in oil

Naw thats fine, within tolerance that is - BMW engineers

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 10/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Aria384 said:

And are there good sites to buy a used car if the budjet limit is $500?

Facebook marketplace? Or any other website where they sell used goods.

But as a warning, and it was mentioned before. But $500 cars are often a real gamble. If you live somewhere where they require inspections. Then if it was inspected recently. Then you can at least use it on the road right away. And know that it's at least somewhat road worthy.

Either way. Just make sure that you give it a good once-over before spending any money. And be aware that you will likely spend that $500 several times over in the first year or two.

9 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Naw thats fine, within tolerance that is - BMW engineers

Rod bearing clearance spec = it'll wear in.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ouch, place that would tune my intake likes to use these with a plug n play harness.

https://www.motorsportselectronics.com/products/link-g4-fury?variant=13557499588

That's a spicy ECU, but that's also some OEM level shit as well.

I'm a believer in Link.  After watching BOM use it on Project Binky (the greatest car build of all time)--I am convinced of its utility.

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Rod bearing clearance spec = it'll wear in.

They make their own tolerances

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Do you think it will ever be feasible and more importantly, prudent, to sell an electric car in Siberia? Or Alaska for that matter? 

This is the 500lb elephant in the room. People talk big about electric cars, praise them up and down just as the sun rises and as it sets, but conveniently (and consistently) forget the hidden, tucked away flaw that cold weather will destroy your EV's range by significant margins. Just think and try to Imagine, for a moment, if cold weather reduced your vehicles petrol range by 35% 😄😄😄

Why winter saps your electric car's driving range (axios.com)

Now the major question is raised before us: Is it cold or heat that is an EVs worst enemy? The upside of choosing a cold climate as the worst nightmare for your EV is somewhat mitigated by the fact that there are, in high probability, less battery explosions / battery fires in a cold climate. So they have that going for them. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

5 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Do you think it will ever be feasible and more importantly, prudent, to sell an electric car in Siberia? Or Alaska for that matter? 

This is the 500lb elephant in the room. People talk big about electric cars, praise them up and down just as the sun rises and as it sets, but conveniently (and consistently) forget the hidden, tucked away flaw that cold weather will destroy your EV's range by significant margins. Just think and try to Imagine, for a moment, if cold weather reduced your vehicles petrol range by 35% 😄😄😄

Now the major question is raised before us: Is it cold or heat that is an EVs worst enemy? The upside of choosing a cold climate as the worst nightmare for your EV is somewhat mitigated by the fact that there are, in high probability, less battery explosions / battery fires in a cold climate. So they have that going for them. 

EV's still work in cold climates. You just need to have realistic expectations. It's all about having the charging infrastructure. If you're able to charge your vehicle both at work, and at home. Then you'll have zero issues with the cold and range.

So if you look at a Ford Mach-E with the small battery and AWD. Then it's sold with an estimated range of 360 km's. Cut that down by a third, and you still have over 200 km's of range. Which is more than plenty for daily use IF you are able to charge it on the daily.

EDIT: Even if we look at the graphs YOU PROVIDED. Then EV's have no issues with the cold. Especially if they have a heat pump. Which is common for EV's that's sold in Northern climates. And you're even able to pre-heat the cabin while it's plugged in, meaning that you lose zero range.

image.png.c9e481bc34031322579b241c87537027.png

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Have you ever considered presenting a topic in good faith instead of "I really hate this one thing and I'll be damned if I don't prove myself right"

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Have you ever considered presenting a topic in good faith instead of "I really hate this one thing and I'll be damned if I don't prove myself right"

My take about it is this:
I hate this one thing, that being EV's - The end.

If that isn't simple enough for someone, that's their problem, not mine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

It's OK to hate something just because you don't like it lol. I hate CVT's. Even if they do make sense in some situations.

You just have to agree to disagree with everyone else...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's OK to hate something just because you don't like it lol. I hate CVT's. Even if they do make sense in some situations.

I don't like CVT's either and from personal experience with their tendency to go bad/fail is why.
Gimmie a manual any day of the week.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Just set them on ignore, they're just trolling to be a troll. They're not worth your time to talk to because they're not here to engage in conversation they're just here to shout about how they're right and everyone else that doesn't exactly agree is wrong wrong wrong. They're not here to be part of community, they're here to make a scene. If we ignore them, they will go somewhere else. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they're onto some other wacky demonic satellite space laser bunk too.

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

My take about it is this:
I hate this one thing, that being EV's - The end.

If that isn't simple enough for someone, that's their problem, not mine.

I respect that.  I just ask that you and anyone who feels similarly--respects that my opinion is that <$10,000 EV Motorcycles should be a market with a lot of selection.  IDGAF about EV cars.

5 hours ago, IPD said:

I respect that.  I just ask that you and anyone who feels similarly--respects that my opinion is that <$10,000 EV Motorcycles should be a market with a lot of selection.  IDGAF about EV cars.

I'm with you on that last.

Don't care for anything EV aside from golf carts but I do respect your preferences of course.
If you want a bike that's an EV, go for it and the same goes for an EV vehicle in general but know I personally don't care for them.

It's your choice and you're entitled to it.

Y'all you sure do talk a lot about something that you don't care about.

7 hours ago, vetali said:

Y'all you sure do talk a lot about something that you don't care about.

shots-fired.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It's on, it runs, I have a high idle to figure out. I'm leaning towards a problem with the throttle body based on some preliminary fiddlin last night, I'll look at more tonight.

IMG_20221023_211906.jpg

Almost every time I've had high idle it's just a TPS screw (or whatever they're called).  YMMV though.

42 minutes ago, IPD said:

Almost every time I've had high idle it's just a TPS screw (or whatever they're called).  YMMV though.

Maybe, plate looked pretty closed and TPS voltage looks good.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, bcredeur97 said:

It's just the road trip thing. Is a car really a car if I can't take the "traditional" road trip in it? For example, if you want to go cross country, this is what your trip is going to look like, with every stop being 15-45 minutes to recharge! That's a decent amount of pit stops...

image.thumb.png.00fffaa274c0be3e8a7942ecc26e1762.png

I don't hate EVs. My only problem is that people praise EVs like they were hand delivered from God himself. 

This is not the case. Electric cars have SEVERE limitations, just doing my point to point them out, since this is a car discussion thread. 

Point being electric cars still have a long way to go before the platform can be considered "mature". 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

It's just the road trip thing. Is a car really a car if I can't take the "traditional" road trip in it?

Damn I guess I should stop taking my 3,200 mile road trip every weekend.

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

My only problem is that people praise EVs like they were hand delivered from God himself.

Who tf? lol

3 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

It's just the road trip thing. Is a car really a car if I can't take the "traditional" road trip in it? For example, if you want to go cross country, this is what your trip is going to look like, with every stop being 15-45 minutes to recharge! That's a decent amount of pit stops...

-snip-

I don't hate EVs. My only problem is that people praise EVs like they were hand delivered from God himself. 

This is not the case. Electric cars have SEVERE limitations, just doing my point to point them out, since this is a car discussion thread. 

Point being electric cars still have a long way to go before the platform can be considered "mature". 

Not that this is totally on topic, but when I drove the Touareg to Lake Tahoe, My stops looked something like this (this may not be exact... Had a little trouble remembering):

Pretty much got fuel wherever I had to either eat or rest for the night, didn't stop just for fuel usually. Except right before crossing into CA and the one fill up outside of Yucaipa, because CA fuel is so expensive. The stop near my destination was actually in Nevada, lol.
image.thumb.png.fce8e2021ff35ab336a9eeb168c209d6.png

Arizona was so hot (around 112F) that I tried to keep the tank a little fuller. Because of the paranoia that comes with owning a Bosch CP4 Fuel pump.

Was it worth driving? No. Am I glad I did it? sure! Plane next time tho.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

shots-fired.gif

OoooF!!!!
"Ya got me....." 😵
--------------------
Went out today and spent some $$ on freon (Stocked up) for my Altima and other rides too - The Altima may or may not have a bad AC compresssor and right now all I can do is try it.
It's been said at least with some models you can turn it by hand, this one I can't but I also tried doing that with the wife's Rogue too, I can't turn it by hand either and I know it works.

So.... Gonna vaccum it down, add the correct amount of freon and see if it works or not and I will be using the stuff with UV dye to find the leak it's had for awhile now and fix it if all else is OK.
If not I'll do the compresssor replacement along with fixing the leaks and so on. At least now I don't have to be in a hurry to get it done but at the same time I need to be making progress with it.