Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, techswede said:

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

That may be true for the initial part of the vehicle life but as they age that certainly changes with more things going wrong more frequently.

Just now, Bitter said:

That may be true for the initial part of the vehicle life but as they age that certainly changes with more things going wrong more frequently.

yes, that 4.5k bmw i was talking bout, it had 278k miles, it had a manual though, had a inline 6 atleast, but i say the series 5 v8 is better because that they got diesel version of that v8, so its like 400lb of tourqe i think for the most powerful v8

2 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

ye, good point but some german models like the mercedes models hae like some plasti in tire some ac problems and also can ride rough and cost a billion dollars to get a new pair of tires. but bmw is better just because they are much higher quality, audi idk haven't really browsed forums and stuff to know about problems

Not sure what you're trying to say with the "plasti" in the tyre.
Haven't heard much about AC problems in newer mercs,
They ride real well,

Its not like mercedes only lets you buy specific tyres after you bought a car from them.
BMW and Merc are equal brands. Audis are alright.
Source. Friends, Personal experience and over a decade in a mercedes owners club. 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Well not necessarily. You can certainly have the bad luck of buying a model where there are things that will go wrong due to poor design. 
But nowadays every car is so packed full of technical garbage that you'll be screwed no matter what you get after a while.

Track record wise german cars are reliable. 90s audis had some issues. 2000s Mercs were not perfect either. Nor were 90s BMWs.

But every market had issues at some point. 
As for newer models we simply don't know yet. 

Its going to be interesting to see how Mercedes's 24v system fares and how mounting the turbos basically inside the engine will turn out in the end.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

14 hours ago, terrytek said:

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

Welcome back. What’s wrong? 

Im just glad we’re finally having some real activity here for once lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Welcome back. What’s wrong? 

Im just glad we’re finally having some real activity here for once lol

"For once"
I leave for five minutes and yall get past 150k replies

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

"For once"
I leave for five minutes and yall get past 150k replies

Wouldn’t be the car thread without being the record holder for replies. 

gotta keep posting! Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Not sure what you're trying to say with the "plasti" in the tyre.
Haven't heard much about AC problems in newer mercs,
They ride real well,

Its not like mercedes only lets you buy specific tyres after you bought a car from them.
BMW and Merc are equal brands. Audis are alright.
Source. Friends, Personal experience and over a decade in a mercedes owners club. 

Well not necessarily. You can certainly have the bad luck of buying a model where there are things that will go wrong due to poor design. 
But nowadays every car is so packed full of technical garbage that you'll be screwed no matter what you get after a while.

Track record wise german cars are reliable. 90s audis had some issues. 2000s Mercs were not perfect either. Nor were 90s BMWs.

But every market had issues at some point. 
As for newer models we simply don't know yet. 

Its going to be interesting to see how Mercedes's 24v system fares and how mounting the turbos basically inside the engine will turn out in the end.

Both BMW and Mercedes have had nagging oil consumption, timing chain, and PCV problems for a long time now and they're all problems that crop up at moderate to high miles and tend to repeat because the replacement parts aren't really any better than what's on there. Sometimes I'll run across one in excellent condition with high miles but most of them I see (Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes) with over 90K miles are in very poor condition if they're from the past 10 years or newer.

Also why do German cars always smell like a box of hot crayons when you leave them out in the sun? Disgusting!

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Both BMW and Mercedes have had nagging oil consumption, timing chain, and PCV problems for a long time now and they're all problems that crop up at moderate to high miles and tend to repeat because the replacement parts aren't really any better than what's on there. Sometimes I'll run across one in excellent condition with high miles but most of them I see (Audi, BMW, VW, Mercedes) with over 90K miles are in very poor condition if they're from the past 10 years or newer.

Also why do German cars always smell like a box of hot crayons when you leave them out in the sun? Disgusting!

Must be the German glue 

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wouldn’t be the car thread without being the record holder for replies. 

gotta keep posting! Lol

Honestly i don't think anyone will catch up at this point 🤣

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Haven't heard much about issues like that. But i'll look into it.

Edit. So i've returned.
Oil consumption is most likely due to the PCV clogging/failing around 60k. on mercs at least. Still not the end of the world.
M272 and 273 engines do seem to have timing chain issues. defective balance shafts in the former. Poor tensioners in the latter. So avoid those

Also haven't experienced the crayon smell. But i've heard about it a couple of times. My guess is that its some kind of treatment on some interior component.

Edit 2. Seems like there is a thermoplastic coating on the insulation that can give off a crayon like smell when heated

1 hour ago, techswede said:

This. Don't forget to fill up your AdBlue tanks and to replace your particulate filters, kids.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

This. Don't forget to fill up your AdBlue tanks and to replace your particulate filters, kids.

You're what and what? We don't burn oil here except in big trucks with nearly unregulated emissions or redneck pickup trucks. Our cars are gasoline thanks to GM in the 80's ruining the reputation of diesel for decades to come by taking a regular gas V8 and making it just barely able to function as a diesel engine for a brief period of time that sometimes extended past warranty but often did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) had been unable to certify the diesel V8 for sale in the state in 1979 and early 1980, as the test cars issued to CARB broke down before the tests could be completed. Of the nine cars supplied to CARB, all suffered engine problems and seven had transmission failures.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You're what and what? We don't burn oil here except in big trucks with nearly unregulated emissions or redneck pickup trucks. Our cars are gasoline thanks to GM in the 80's ruining the reputation of diesel for decades to come by taking a regular gas V8 and making it just barely able to function as a diesel engine for a brief period of time that sometimes extended past warranty but often did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

That said I like the ~3 ish liter turbo diesels they are putting in some pickup trucks and such now. I think that’s a great idea. Fits the vehicle perfectly 

Spoiler

is back, my conclusion on german cars

expensive buy, expensive fix, expensive german shit tech that literally don't fucking need even for a luxury 540i or something

they are still cool cars if you maintain them, but if your some guy in your early 20's avoid the car, it is money you don't have that yet depending on your job, i don't think people have 50k a year jobs yet, so it makes sense if your some car enthusiast, get a honda civic, mazdaspeed, any other cheap reliable tuner car, (wish could say miata but appreciation killed prices) 

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

That said I like the ~3 ish liter turbo diesels they are putting in some pickup trucks and such now. I think that’s a great idea. Fits the vehicle perfectly 

i love cummins even though im jdm enthusiast, because they sound good, have mega torque, and are just fitting for a dodge ram hauling a heavy ass trailer

Sad day bois. Saab has been sold 😪

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

17 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

expensive buy, expensive fix, expensive german shit tech that literally don't fucking need even for a luxury 540i or something

they are still cool cars if you maintain them, but if your some guy in your early 20's avoid the car, it is money you don't have that yet depending on your job, i don't think people have 50k a year jobs yet, so it makes sense if your some car enthusiast, get a honda civic, mazdaspeed, any other cheap reliable tuner car, (wish could say miata but appreciation killed prices) 

or just buy a lexus, lol. it's a little dull but it's luxurious and because you can buy them off older folk, they are well taken care of.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, techswede said:

-snip- 

sorry for snipping everything, it is literally huge

lemme explain the "plastic" so basically on the inner frame of the tire, they have this bendable plastic metal mix i think its like a tire supporter, if you run on smooth roads its fine, but once you daily rive on bumps then the tire "plastic or whatever" starts to bend and dent, causing the car to get extreme bumpiness, i actually dont know if it causes bumpiness, but i don know that bump roads can cause the damage as ie seen it myself at a mechanic shop

also i ain't in favor of 2 spark plugs per cylinder, because then i'm pretty sure that it can cause engine to mistime the spark ignition, or if one fails in car while riving, it could just break the engine completely because you don't know that 1 stop working and then 2 spark plug concept just bad, but same could happen with 1 spark plug per cylinder, but its more noticeable. 

The ac problem(once saw on reddit), i not saying this is omon, but this could happen to soe mercedes ecu idk what caused this issue, i just say a reddit where his ac would only blow hot air all time and he couldn't stop it blowing so he put a metal like tubing or like box tubes you can say, an redirected air to different sport because he didn't want to pay 12k for a whole ac rebuild

lemme say this before i get roasted, i literally never owned a bmw, mercedes, or audi, or porsche, these are problems i found on blogs, videos, reddits, forums, etc, easy to find issues just py browsing forums (like for example i was browsing d16 forums and i found 1000whp d16.)

19 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

they are still cool cars if you maintain them, but if your some guy in your early 20's avoid the car

Watch me buy an E34 at 21/22 then xD

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

or just buy a lexus, lol. it's a little dull but it's luxurious and because you can buy them off older folk, they are well taken care of.

i just realized that theirs a million 2jz lexus's for cheap, but they all automatic mega sad

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Watch me buy an E34 at 21/22 then xD

your decision, i say europe has a mega bigger chance of maintaining them because germany is like right there.

1 minute ago, FakeFBI said:

i just realized that theirs a million 2jz lexus's for cheap, but they all automatic mega sad

and non-turbo lol. 

But they last a while if you take care of them lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

and non-turbo lol. 

But they last a while if you take care of them lol

and realized that the only non chonker lexus's are the is300 and sc400, the gs is like mega chonk

EDIT: guys i found these cool altezza/is 300 wallpapers, (these are not mine, but they are very nice)

wp7074533.jpg

wp6789770.jpg

8 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

sorry for snipping everything, it is literally huge

lemme explain the "plastic" so basically on the inner frame of the tire, they have this bendable plastic metal mix i think its like a tire supporter, if you run on smooth roads its fine, but once you daily rive on bumps then the tire "plastic or whatever" starts to bend and dent, causing the car to get extreme bumpiness, i actually dont know if it causes bumpiness, but i don know that bump roads can cause the damage as ie seen it myself at a mechanic shop

also i ain't in favor of 2 spark plugs per cylinder, because then i'm pretty sure that it can cause engine to mistime the spark ignition, or if one fails in car while riving, it could just break the engine completely because you don't know that 1 stop working and then 2 spark plug concept just bad, but same could happen with 1 spark plug per cylinder, but its more noticeable. 

The ac problem(once saw on reddit), i not saying this is omon, but this could happen to soe mercedes ecu idk what caused this issue, i just say a reddit where his ac would only blow hot air all time and he couldn't stop it blowing so he put a metal like tubing or like box tubes you can say, an redirected air to different sport because he didn't want to pay 12k for a whole ac rebuild

lemme say this before i get roasted, i literally never owned a bmw, mercedes, or audi, or porsche, these are problems i found on blogs, videos, reddits, forums, etc, easy to find issues just py browsing forums (like for example i was browsing d16 forums and i found 1000whp d16.)

1 Wait. Do you mean run flat tyres?. those are optional

2. Nissan did twinspark in the 80s. Hell multiple manufacturers have done it. It works well enough

3. One fault does not condemn a whole company.

I'm not saying mercs are the best cars in the world even though carl benz invented the automobile
I'm just saying all cars have faults. 

Aren't you forgetting about the Mazda Protege?

ok i guess your right that cars have faults but does not effect whole company, but in parts of usa, german ca are just plain expensive and sometimes conditions of weather, temperature, and climate can decide those things,