Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 2/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, the gamer that is bad said:

i might make a solid aluminum 527

imagine putting a 527 in a modern mustang, that would just be stupid

On 2/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, the gamer that is bad said:

the school pays for all materials we use so i might make a 527 Delorian because i like the look

deloreans are slight slow

so the school would pay to make a b18, thats just why

On 2/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, JoaoPRSousa said:

Since I still haven't posted it, this has been my ride for the last few months. It's my brother's car but since he's in the UK studying I've been driving it.

It's a '97 525tds. So basically, an E39 with an oil fryer as an engine. The old ass M51 turdobiesel anchor, 2.5L I6, no power, a bit of torque, enough to get me around at least.

Oxford green on some style 122s from an E60, came with the car when he bought it. Possibly the most basic ass spec you can get in an E39 (if you disregard the 525td, no s, no intercooler, less power, I don't even want to know just how bad that one is) BUT with a sunroof, no other extras lmao. Cloth interior is also a big plus, even tho it's poverty spec, I MUCH prefer it.

IMG_20201017_141320.thumb.jpg.32c57f644448dfd69419f76327a13dba.jpg

(vertical shot because I'm a retard and don't have much else currently)

Honestly, I don't think I'll do much to this car, as it isn't even mine and I'd rather save up and buy an E34 (there's one lurking in the garage where I currently live, 520i Touring, and I'm dying to buy it of whoever's having it sit gathering dust) than modify this thing which will eventually be handed down to my parents or be sold even.

I've thought about blacking out the chrome with something (as long as it isn't gloss, fucking disgusting) and maybe try to get the wheels to be more gunmetal instead of just silver. A set of lowering springs would probably be sweet, but we'll see. More recently, I've came across Alpina E39s and well, I looked for Alpina replica wheels, not much luck there, when it comes to this chassis at least. Replica Alpina boot spoilers are also pretty much non existent, so Idk. (replicas because ya boi's broke af)

Polisher is in the to buy list tho.

Also, this car has pretty much the same powertrain and the exact same color as the first car I ever drove, an E34 Touring 525tds, my dad's, if anyone remembers how that story went (long story short, stolen, powertrain yanked off, thrown into the woods). So there's some sentimental value to this one.

i mean i like how bmw's look and stuff, but here in the states people are like, GERMAN ADHADIAHDIA, since germany is so damn faraway, basically parts are like 5 million dollars, so having a bmw that isn't reliable and with all this german breaking tech is a disaster, mercedes is worse, that's my and my friends experience at least, and browsing forums, the car blows up here, not literally but its big money pit to buy bmw here, or IM COMPLETLY WRONG

Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

imagine putting a 527 in a modern mustang, that would just be stupid

yah or delorian i want to see the look on a cocky corvette owner when a delorian destroys him

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

yah or delorian i want to see the look on a cocky corvette owner when a delorian destroys him

and remeber, put on some hoosiers, just make it look horendous and sleeper

Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

and remeber, put on some hoosiers, just make it look horendous and sleeper

that defats purpose of hoosier just ut on sport compound from hoosier, and yeet the tran outta there, put in big boi, and smoke the shit

7 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Since I still haven't posted it, this has been my ride for the last few months.

IMG_20201017_141320.thumb.jpg.32c57f644448dfd69419f76327a13dba.jpg

Think thats the first picture you've posted of it full stop isnt it? Looks pretty smart, oxford greens definitely one of the better colours bmw came out with

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

Looks pretty smart, oxford greens definitely one of the better colours bmw came out with

yes

33 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Think thats the first picture you've posted of it full stop isnt it? Looks pretty smart, oxford greens definitely one of the better colours bmw came out with

At least here it is. It's definitely grown on me.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

15 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

At least here it is. It's definitely grown on me.

sorry to ask but what exactly do you like about the car? i really aint the bmw car guy

@#$$#$@_@#&&&¡!!!!!! Stupid seized bolt and nut on top of this Jeep trans for the selector shaft arm.

20210212_165911.jpg

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

@#$$#$@_@#&&&¡!!!!!! Stupid seized bolt and nut on top of this Jeep trans for the selector shaft arm.

Ain't never seen a multipiece bolt before.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

No, I definitely sawed this one!

but slight change of topic guys, are german cars reliable, this aint really apply to europe where german parts evreywhere, but here in us they cost way more, are they reliable, as i i found a 328i for $4.5k

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Expensive to buy and expensive to fix relative to say Japanese cars. 

japanease cars like, hmm lets see here since you got a b18c1, the spark plug replacment is $2, the belt is $0.20, the oil change $10, polish of engine $4, theres nothing to fix the these engines except when they blown 

7 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

japanease cars like, hmm lets see here since you got a b18c1, the spark plug replacment is $2, the belt is $0.20, the oil change $10, polish of engine $4, theres nothing to fix the these engines except when they blown 

I can rebuild the entire cooling system on my Miata for like $250 (maybe less too) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

31 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

but slight change of topic guys, are german cars reliable, this aint really apply to europe where german parts evreywhere, but here in us they cost way more, are they reliable, as i i found a 328i for $4.5k

While German cars tend to feel a lot more solid and just “high quality”,  they sure do cost a lot when stuff breaks. Also they overcomplicate things which drives up costs for both parts and labor.

if you DIY everything it’s usually not too bad but it can be a lot harder to do, and you may have to buy special tools to do certain things. And often what seems like a simple job on most other cars can take hours. 

Newer ones are better since they standardized more things. (Like my dad’s C7 Audi A6 I think is a pretty solid car, just avoid some of the extra options as they might have some of their own problems (though nothing that harms the drivability really).

if you do want that 328i, id heavily research and plan on immediately doing preventative maintenance on any frequently known issues whatever generation you’re looking at. So odds are you won’t have to worry about too much for a while. Look at it as part of the price of the car. It could very well be $1500 of work up front but it’s worth it. 

and always prioritize functionality over looks and mods. Those are luxuries. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can rebuild the entire cooling system on my Miata for like $250 (maybe less too) 

thats why tuners are tuners, it doesnt cost like $20k for a engine rebuild, 

examples

to restore a honda eh3 si in USA, condition: blown motor, missing valve cover, spark plugs, distibutor, cables with it, belt, accelator or something i forgot, 2 pistons are damaged, old oil, Flat tires, dmaged rims, basiclly done for brakes, suspension damage FR, bumper FR area dmage, FR light damage, 

lets assume that the car was in that shape because it sat in junk yard after the FR got medicor damage, slightly damaging frame( so only need minor repair) and the area body work was finished.

i say that the price would be around $5000 for all the parts, because where i live honda d16 parts are just cheap, and hondas also have cheap bodywork

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

While German cars tend to feel a lot more solid and just “high quality”,  they sure do cost a lot when stuff breaks. Also they overcomplicate things which drives up costs for both parts and labor.

if you DIY everything it’s usually not too bad but it can be a lot harder to do, and you may have to buy special tools to do certain things. And often what seems like a simple job on most other cars can take hours. 

Newer ones are better since they standardized more things. (Like my dad’s C7 Audi A6 I think is a pretty solid car, just avoid some of the extra options as they might have some of their own problems (though nothing that harms the drivability really).

if you do want that 328i, id heavily research and plan on immediately doing preventative maintenance on any frequently known issues whatever generation you’re looking at. So odds are you won’t have to worry about too much for a while. Look at it as part of the price of the car. It could very well be $1500 of work up front but it’s worth it. 

and always prioritize functionality over looks and mods. Those are luxuries. 

it says in description i selected manual because european manuals tend to actually hold up better than their auto's because manual is SO common in poland atleast.

Description, 278k miles, well maintained, the engine is clearly not been clean in years it dirty but evreything looks fien with no rust or damage, i would only get a 328xi for a drift car if i had like drift team or championship, that aint happening

3 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

examples

to restore a honda eh3 si in USA, condition: blown motor, missing valve cover, spark plugs, distibutor, cables with it, belt, accelator or something i forgot, 2 pistons are damaged, old oil, Flat tires, dmaged rims, basiclly done for brakes, suspension damage FR, bumper FR area dmage, FR light damage, 

lets assume that the car was in that shape because it sat in junk yard after the FR got medicor damage, slightly damaging frame( so only need minor repair) and the area body work was finished.

i say that the price would be around $5000 for all the parts, because where i live honda d16 parts are just cheap, and hondas also have cheap bodywork

Sounds like you blow up a lot of engines

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Sounds like you blow up a lot of engines

thats a example of what i say is a normal junk car not mine, mine is well maintained, just waiting for the damn throttle sensor to deliver

EDIT: mine is a 1998 civic ex auto

5 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

examples

Financially, it doesn’t make sense to invest $5000 in a car that’s worth $2-3k though. 

one incident on the road like if someone crashes into you you’re money is just gone.

It’s just as bad if not worse as buying a new car. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Financially, it doesn’t make sense to invest $5000 in a car that’s worth $2-3k though. 

one incident on the road like if someone crashes into you you’re money is just gone.

It’s just as bad if not worse as buying a new car. 

yes, but this is like a car you usually find on copart, i would only pay that much if it was some damn SiR from japan or had a b16 i can rip out

EDIT: that would make sense, if you had like a ready vtec, or ls b16 or b18 swap you want to switch into the car, if you had a LS b18 swap for example, you can just convert it to vtec, then that eh3 would make sense to buy for like $500 so you can have a nice project car, hope i can point that out

Edited by FakeFBI

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

oh brother i take a hiatus from this place and i come back to this.

are you dissapointed, 

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less. 

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 hours ago, techswede said:

German cars are more expensive to fix. But you fix them less. 

Keep on top of maintenance and its fine.

ye, good point but some german models like the mercedes models hae like some plasti in tire some ac problems and also can ride rough and cost a billion dollars to get a new pair of tires. but bmw is better just because they are much higher quality, audi idk haven't really browsed forums and stuff to know about problems