Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, IKnight said:

I meann, the only upside to the Audi is AWD and a bit nicer interior. I think all the downsides far outweigh that. Naturally, though, a nice Audi would be better. And sure, TT and A3 may be a bit "girly" but tbh I don't care. If it makes me happy, who cares what others think about it.😛  

And dw, not gonna go for a Ford. 😂

Saabs are cheaper though, and parts are plentiful. And damnnn, your insurance is even worse?

Volvos feel a bit boring, but yeah solid cars. Old BMWs and Mercs scare me though.😛  

Remember .. my car is a 2015 ... and its full coverage ... plus im not 25 ... and its my 1st car and i had my license for around a year.

you are dumb if old BMW and MB scare you ...

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Remember .. my car is a 2015 ... and its full coverage ... plus im not 25 ... and its my 1st car and i had my license for around a year.

you are dumb if old BMW and MB scare you ...

Makes sense it's expensive then hahha. 

Well I wouldn't be scared if I knew people took care of them. But by the point an old BMW/Merc is cheap enough for me to buy, it'll already have been owned by 3 other idiots who've done questionable things to it 😛 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

3 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Makes sense it's expensive then hahha. 

Well I wouldn't be scared if I knew people took care of them. But by the point an old BMW/Merc is cheap enough for me to buy, it'll already have been owned by 3 other idiots who've done questionable things to it 😛 

the thing its .. its the same for literally any car brand ... so why the fuck not just get a 10 owner octavia RS that seems perfect on the surface but is a run down rust bucket that's been to the moon and back 100x times? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

the thing its .. its the same for literally any car brand ... so why the fuck not just get a 10 owner octavia RS that seems perfect on the surface but is a run down rust bucket that's been to the moon and back 100x times? 

You're not wrong in saying that that applies to every brand. All I'm saying is that typically (as always there are exceptions, and I'm sure you can somethimes find nice well-cared for examples) if you compare a BMW and Skoda of the same vintage, in the same price range, the Skoda typically has fewer miles, less rust, and a far better service record. Naturally, that's because the Skoda is less desirable for one reason or another, but I don't really care if its a 4 pot vs 6 pot, or has a bit less leather, or whatever else the BMW may have thats better. I want something that's kinda fun, and which I won't have to worry a great deal about.

Also I can run the plates of a car and see how many miles it had on it at every inspection, whether it passed or failed the inspection, and the number of owners. 🙂  

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Case in point: Here's an Octavia RS which probs needs a new timing belt, but has had it done atleast one, a good service book, new service, new registration, 2 keys, winter and summer times, and a detail for 2,000 euros. 

https://www.blocket.se/annons/vastmanland/skoda_octavia_combi_rs_1_8_t_180hk/92790641

And heres the history.

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/UMU313

Even better: Heres a Mk2 which has been serviced, had the timingbelt done, and had reg done recently. Also comes with 2 sets of wheels and tires, and a 6 month warrenty. 

https://www.blocket.se/annons/orebro/skoda_octavia_combi_rs_2_0_tfsi_200hk/92615128

History: (3 owners excluding car dealers, and which was serviced at Skoda until 2013)

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/XOS050

Edit: Meanwhile this seemingly nice 5 series had 3 owners just in 2020, with the last owning it for just 3 months before putting it up for sale. Also has a cloth interior (not my thing), and is a 1997 compared to the 04 Skoda in the same price range).  

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/bmw_523i_lagmilare/93563270

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/DFC774

16 minutes ago, IKnight said:

You're not wrong in saying that that applies to every brand. All I'm saying is that typically (as always there are exceptions, and I'm sure you can somethimes find nice well-cared for examples) if you compare a BMW and Skoda of the same vintage, in the same price range, the Skoda typically has fewer miles, less rust, and a far better service record. Naturally, that's because the Skoda is less desirable for one reason or another, but I don't really care if its a 4 pot vs 6 pot, or has a bit less leather, or whatever else the BMW may have thats better. I want something that's kinda fun, and which I won't have to worry a great deal about.

Also I can run the plates of a car and see how many miles it had on it at every inspection, whether it passed or failed the inspection, and the number of owners. 🙂  

4pot BMWs are usually not that nice hence why im saying i6 

2 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

4pot BMWs are usually not that nice hence why im saying i6 

Meant the Skoda being 4pot vs BMW a 6pot. Wouldn't get a 4pot BMW either. 😛 Also a 6pot uses far more fuel, and would be more expensive to ensure. 

6 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Meant the Skoda being 4pot vs BMW a 6pot. Wouldn't get a 4pot BMW either. 😛 Also a 6pot uses far more fuel, and would be more expensive to ensure. 

correct inline 4  just aint horse pushin, the inline 6 actually have decent power and torque, but how can you get like 19 mpg/30.57 kpg on a damn inline 6 no turbo, probably because bmw tuned it that way to get most power

On 2/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, FakeFBI said:

correct 4 pot just aint horse pushin, the inline 6 actually have decent power and torque, but how can you get like 19 mpg/30.57 kpg on a damn inline 6 no turbo, probably because bmw tuned it that way to get most power

Which begs the question of, why go with a 6pot BMW which has 170bhp when you can get a Skoda with a 4 pot pushing 180bhp (210 with a tune)?

Might help if you read what we wrote. 😛 If only you knew how much @PandaCopyRightand I can bicker lmao.... 

Which begs the question of, why go with a 6pot BMW which has 170bhp when you can get a Skoda with a 4 pot pushing 180bhp (210 with a tune)?

well i was thinking getting a car for poland because i used to travel there a lot (hence me polish), now i have to decide, get some d15 vtec, some cool si or sir car from honda, or i just get a skoda, i don't think poland in very restrictive about tuning, ithink it just costs a fortune to do so, but there is people that do so since i've seen a accord euro r myself.

on the "help if you read what we wrote" i read 4 posts and gave up, theres a humongus essay to read me aint in mood to

EDIT: familys summer house has garage if your wondering

1 minute ago, FakeFBI said:

well i was thinking getting a car for poland because i used to travel there a lot (hence me polish), now i have to decide, get some d15 vtec, some cool si or sir car from honda, or i just get a skoda, i don't think poland in very restrictive about tuning, ithink it just costs a fortune to do so, but there is people that do so since i've seen a accord euro r myself.

Might be talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't it be wiser to go for the car which has a large number of oe and tuning parts available locally, rather than a Honda? 🙂

5 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

on the "help if you read what we wrote" i read 4 posts and gave up, theres a humongus essay to read me aint in mood to

And how do you think this thread got to 6024 pages? 😉

1 minute ago, IKnight said:

Might be talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't it be wiser to go for the car which has a large number of oe and tuning parts available locally, rather than a honda

i havent actually explored polish tuner market, so idk what to buy there

1 minute ago, IKnight said:

And how do you think this thread got to 6024 pages? 😉

and i came on like the 5080 page maybe even 5050 page

1 minute ago, FakeFBI said:

i havent actually explored polish tuner market, so idk what to buy there

and i came on like the 5080 page maybe even 5050 page

Page 4815 was my first post heh.  

Page 4815 was my first post heh.  

wow, noice

12 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

wow, noice

Ikr I'm so cool 😎😎 /s

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

Case in point: Here's an Octavia RS which probs needs a new timing belt, but has had it done atleast one, a good service book, new service, new registration, 2 keys, winter and summer times, and a detail for 2,000 euros. 

https://www.blocket.se/annons/vastmanland/skoda_octavia_combi_rs_1_8_t_180hk/92790641

And heres the history.

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/UMU313

Even better: Heres a Mk2 which has been serviced, had the timingbelt done, and had reg done recently. Also comes with 2 sets of wheels and tires, and a 6 month warrenty. 

https://www.blocket.se/annons/orebro/skoda_octavia_combi_rs_2_0_tfsi_200hk/92615128

History: (3 owners excluding car dealers, and which was serviced at Skoda until 2013)

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/XOS050

Edit: Meanwhile this seemingly nice 5 series had 3 owners just in 2020, with the last owning it for just 3 months before putting it up for sale. Also has a cloth interior (not my thing), and is a 1997 compared to the 04 Skoda in the same price range).  

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/bmw_523i_lagmilare/93563270

https://biluppgifter.se/fordon/DFC774

Damn. I'd do some nasty shit for that first Octavia, have a thing for MK1 Octavia VRS's (probably because we had a slot car of a WRC one).

That E39 isn't really all that bad. It's better to have a old but decent cloth interior than a just old leather interior (which usually looks like shit). I certainly wouldn't mind a 523i for that price. My brother paid 2750€ for the 525tds 🙃

49 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Debatable. If you have a 4 pot (which generally makes less power, if we're not comparing turbo 4 pot Vs inline 6, which is just the case) trying to move a heavier car, the 6 spot would sweat less and probably be more efficient at it. Gotta keep that in mind.

40 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Might help if you read what we wrote. 😛 If only you knew how much @PandaCopyRightand I can bicker lmao.... 

The M52 engines were a bit restrained because of emissions bs. If you get an M50B25 intake manifold for the M52B25, you free up like 20 ponies. In comparison, the M50B25 makes 20 something more horsepower then it's successor of the same displacement, the M52B25, so, there's some power to be had there. Just need to know where to look. Also, you're comparing a 4 pot turbo to an NA inline 6... Two very different engines. Both in terms of induction and actual layout and size.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Damn. I'd do some nasty shit for that first Octavia, have a thing for MK1 Octavia VRS's (probably because we had a slot car of a WRC one).

That E39 isn't really all that bad. It's better to have a old but decent cloth interior than a just old leather interior (which usually looks like shit). I certainly wouldn't mind a 523i for that price. My brother paid 2750€ for the 525tds 🙃

Yeah that Skoda is niiiice. 

E39 wasn't bad, but you can probs see why I view the Skoda as a better buy hahahah. 

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Debatable. If you have a 4 pot (which generally makes less power, if we're not comparing turbo 4 pot Vs inline 6, which is just the case) trying to move a heavier car, the 6 spot would sweat less and probably be more efficient at it. Gotta keep that in mind.

Yeah I overgeneralized and oversimplified a fair bit, but combined fuel economy is like 2l/100km better with the Skoda iirc. 

12 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

The M52 engines were a bit restrained because of emissions bs. If you get an M50B25 intake manifold for the M52B25, you free up like 20 ponies. In comparison, the M50B25 makes 20 something more horsepower then it's successor of the same displacement, the M52B25, so, there's some power to be had there. Just need to know where to look. Also, you're comparing a 4 pot turbo to an NA inline 6... Two very different engines. Both in terms of induction and actual layout and size.

And yeah I'm sure you could mod it and free up some ponies but I wouldn't really be up for doing anything except for a mod, both from an economic and legality standpoint. 

Honestly they're very different cars, and it's hard to "compare" them. It basically comes down to which one you like more, and what you want from a car. :old-smile: 

3 hours ago, IKnight said:

French cars ain't my thing either, nearly every one I've sat (in except for the new 508 Peugeot) felt cheap and flimsy. 

I mean, for cheap fun tho you can't really go wrong with a French hot hatch 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ (I may be biased tho 😂😂)

LRM_EXPORT_46533289605408_20181128_121535667.thumb.jpeg.d1838022903a40fbabc3b6dee71e16e5.jpeg

20200829_115219.thumb.jpg.dc47063b9fdec6037a834f7bc779f20a.jpg

3 hours ago, IKnight said:

Man in retrospect I sound way too whiny.

Is that a new thing with you?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

turbo 2.0 4 pot will use roughly same fuel as a 2.5 6 pot.. just sayin

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I mean, for cheap fun tho you can't really go wrong with a French hot hatch 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ (I may be biased tho 😂😂)

~snip!~

Is that a new thing with you?

Me whining? Nope. 

Me being self aware of my whining? Abso-fucking-lutely 😛

6 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Can't fight facts. E39 523i combined efficiency is 9.4 – 10.7 l/100km. Skoda is 7.8 l/100km. 

9 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Me whining? Nope. 

Me being self aware of my whining? Abso-fucking-lutely 😛

Can't fight facts. E39 523i combined efficiency is 9.4 – 10.7 l/100km. Skoda is 7.8 l/100km. 

thats whats its rated at .... i doubt youll get that fuel efficiency with the skoda

Just get a Mazda Capella or Toyota Corolla. Undervalued cars that last a long time.

20 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Just get a Mazda Capella or Toyota Corolla. Undervalued cars that last a long time.

they are all rusted to shit usually

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

so true, my fathers thinking fo buying a wrx wagon, its in pristine condition for like 4k, i think he hasnt bought it because we have a 2 car garage

16 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

they are all rusted to shit usually

depends, i still am confused why i cant find a corolla gts in the usa, where they were fucking sold