Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Right. The gearing for the 4L60e is 3.06:1 in first to 1.6:1 in 2nd, and 1:1 in 3rd, and 0.7:1 in 4th.

When doing up hill overtaking in the passing lanes to and from the valley, all I have to do is push on the gas and the tranny will come out of lockup, then I can just move the prndl from D to 3 and it will take 3rd, and then I just have to put my foot in it and away I go if its in a good mood. If its not in a good mood it will run out of power at about 76 or 80 and I'll just pass as many as I can. Usually I'm making the drive at an odd enough time to where there's only a few people in front of me. 

The passing lanes are on both (going uphill) sides of the canyon. One of them has a windy section that leads to a short straightaway, dividing into two lanes. I can carry enough speed out of the corner that overtaking here isn't usually a problem.

The other uphill passing lane (opposite direction) however turns severely halfway in, with the passing lane on the inside. If the other driver is a reasonable human and goes to the outside lane (5% of the time), overtaking is very easy here as I can take a wider turn and keep on the gas. On the other hand, if the other driver is a jerk and won't go into the right lane (95% of the time), attempting a pass on the outside becomes a perilous endeavor as I lack room to keep on the gas during the turn. Even in 2nd, I don't have the power to accelerate fast enough out of that turn to make a safe overtake as the lanes converge into one directly after.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Y'all should buy some turbos.

Want to buy me some forged engine internals too so I don't nuke it?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

stock 2.0s can handle small amounts of boost. They are overbuilt motors.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Video should start at 1:09 @terrytek

Thats a 4,000 rpm tire spinning twin turbo setup on a 6.4. in a close to 7,000 pound truck. Jeezuz

I believe that's called "torque."

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Where's the fun in that?

51 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

What do you mean "bump" when the AC is on?

Do you mean like when the compressor cycles, the idle dips because it doesn't have the same momentum?

yes.... compressor comes on.. the idle valve is supposed to open up a little more so the rpm bumps up to compensate for the extra load. 

mine doesn't do that. It just stays the same.. sometimes it even dips.

I blame the JDM ecu... I dont think the idle valve is barely dirty and I checked the resistance on it and it was fine. Considering it's fine otherwise... i doubt there is anything wrong with it.

idling with the A/C off of course is silky smooth. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

my idle is all over the place with the ac on. 

at least my ECU doesn't think it's for an automagic transmission anymore lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I got bored so I went to NerdWallet to see how much insurance would cost an 18 year old that has worked towards an average-good credit score and StateFarm seems to be the cheapest. 

My god insuring a 2013 Fusion SE for what I presume would be full coverage according to their drop down. Low end $280, high end... well let's just say a lot more.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

unrelated to car stuff, but @bcredeur97 

Spoiler

f41d9bef10.jpg

I splurged a bit today before its time to upgrade the PC after the holidays. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

23 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

0:53 i see a dieselllllll

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

8 hours ago, vetali said:

Reveal hidden contents

f41d9bef10.jpg

Nice. Enjoy your new phone! I'm sure the battery life is going to be nice lol

Spoiler

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Haha, the S10 is the same way. 1st takes you to 35 at 5,000, 38 if it is excited and lets you go to 5,150, and 2nd takes you 70 or 75 IIRC. 3rd will take you all the way to the limiter, not that I ever get up there at all, but people on the S10 forum say that supposedly on flat ground, if you pull the ABS fuse and have a wide open enough area, you can get all the way up to 130 before it will take 4th and run out of power.

2nd pulls really strong actually, but 1st you can actually feel the nose lift up a little bit if you manually shift it. Kinda neat how 1st will chirp the tires but 2nd will feel the best.

For the Accord, 1st at WOT is useless. It roasts the tires with traction control off, and with it on it engages and turns it into a dog.

goes to about 40-45 though.

second really glued you though. It just goes to 60. Hard shifts chirp into second

thrid is good for about 85. I’ve been too chicken to text the tops of the other 3 gears.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wanna talk battery life? :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Thats pretty much why I got a plus. Not 100% sure if I like it yet though. Its difficult to do the gesture to go back with one hand. I have 15 days to try it and return it for a normal 8 if I don't like the phone. 

This was my 6s when I'd go to lunch. Its battery was toast 

2578d506f1.PNG

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Video should start at 1:09 @terrytek

Thats a 4,000 rpm tire spinning twin turbo setup on a 6.4. in a close to 7,000 pound truck. Jeezuz

Holy shit, that thing is crazy, like it's hard to imagine how much power that makes.

8 hours ago, vetali said:

Hide contents

f41d9bef10.jpg

Nice. What capacity?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Holy shit, that thing is crazy, like it's hard to imagine how much power that makes.

Nice. What capacity?

64gb

I would of went with a 128gb if it existed. 256gb is really too much for me unless I shot tons of video at 4k. Also that'd shoot me to just 50 dollars south of an iphone x (not that I'd get one anyway, but if you are taking that much video you may as well get the phone with a better camera)

Spoiler

96d9e9e468.PNG

Thats my 6s after 2 years. I will say, there is legit little to no difference in OS feel with the new a11 over the a9 in my 6s. The 6s is still a good phone to buy today aside from the camera. The non physical home button I love/hate. Love how it feels and how much easier it is to "press", hate how I can't press it with my fingernail to wake without unlocking to see notifications. Now I gotta learn to hit it with a finger I don't have a touch ID for lol. 

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

Thats pretty much why I got a plus. Not 100% sure if I like it yet though. Its difficult to do the gesture to go back with one hand. I have 15 days to try it and return it for a normal 8 if I don't like the phone. 

This was my 6s when I'd go to lunch. Its battery was toast 

-snip-

do you use the "reachability" thing they have (double tap home to bring down the screen)?

lol my 6S was worse sometimes...

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

do you use the "reachability" thing they have (double tap home to bring down the screen)?

lol my 6S was worse sometimes...

I never did on my old one, I do it often now if I'm trying to one hand.

Underrated difference between the plus and small phones is the weight. This thing is heavy lol. 

20 minutes ago, vetali said:

64gb

I would of went with a 128gb if it existed. 256gb is really too much for me unless I shot tons of video at 4k. Also that'd shoot me to just 50 dollars south of an iphone x (not that I'd get one anyway, but if you are taking that much video you may as well get the phone with a better camera)

Hide contents

96d9e9e468.PNG

Thats my 6s after 2 years. I will say, there is legit little to no difference in OS feel with the new a11 over the a9 in my 6s. The 6s is still a good phone to buy today aside from the camera. The non physical home button I love/hate. Love how it feels and how much easier it is to "press", hate how I can't press it with my fingernail to wake without unlocking to see notifications. Now I gotta learn to hit it with a finger I don't have a touch ID for lol. 

Well of course the OS feels the same regardless of 2 gens of processors, it's still super optimized. Apps will feel so much faster though with that new chip.

16 minutes ago, vetali said:

I never did on my old one, I do it often now if I'm trying to one hand.

Underrated difference between the plus and small phones is the weight. This thing is heavy lol. 

At least it feels like a solid phone (hopefully lol)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Well of course the OS feels the same regardless of 2 gens of processors, it's still super optimized. Apps will feel so much faster though with that new chip.

No, not really in most. It feels about the same. 

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

really? i mean it blew out the last gen chip in benchmarks, i thought real world it would be better.

43 minutes ago, vetali said:

When the 6S came out I knew it was going to be good for a long time....

Why I wanted to keep mine really long... Just change the battery every now and then. 

Rip that plan.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

really? i mean it blew out the last gen chip in benchmarks, i thought real world it would be better.

Benchmarks are just that, benchmarks. ios 11 is really buggy and likely isn't getting much better in 11.1. I wish apple would just forgo ios 12 and focus on ironing out issues for a year. The one year cycle has created a lot of bugs that are unable to get fixed. Its snowballing at this point. 

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

When the 6S came out I knew it was going to be good for a long time....

Why I wanted to keep mine really long... Just change the battery every now and then. 

Rip that plan.

nvme storage really was the biggest feature. Software is too buggy to really show the new hardware potential aside from high horsepower apps. 

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Benchmarks are just that, benchmarks. ios 11 is really buggy and likely isn't getting much better in 11.1. I wish apple would just forgo ios 12 and focus on ironing out issues for a year. The one year cycle has created a lot of bugs that are unable to get fixed. Its snowballing at this point. 

nvme storage really was the biggest feature. Software is too buggy to really show the new hardware potential aside from high horsepower apps. 

So did you buy your phone through a carrier, or did you buy it straight from the Apple Store?

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

So did you buy your phone through a carrier, or did you buy it straight from the Apple Store?

Retail from a verizon store, really the only place I could purchase one locally. Don't wana go to Tacoma and deal with JBLM traffic.

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Wanna talk battery life? :P

Yeah but your phones like 6 freaking inches. 

Even my note 4x makes to to minimum 50% by the end of the day. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.