Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I have to start packing in 4.5 hours but I can't sleep. Rip me dude. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

ladyfriend and I are spending the day together. 

RIP this man

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The gear selector has slop in it. Should be nutral. I'll try to fiddle with it tomorrow but the ladyfriend and I are spending the day together. 

It wasn't /in gear/ because when you put the gearshift into forward it will launch half the barrel out of the drum. But theres also not a click into nutral. Just a big deadzone. However the engine started by key so the safety switch was happy?

also the lever is in the same spot as last time and last time the prop could turn free with no clicking. 

To be honest the levers have enough deadzone not mounted to the side of the boat you could drive a truck through them. 

Called it :P 

Definetly slack in the gear selector assembly , and since the engine vibrates like a mother , the gears could be contacting each other for a split second , thus creating the noise you hear . 

Best thing to do would be to take it apart again , and fix the slack . If you have plans for the engine , worst thing that could happen is for the gearbox to get destroyed . 

If not , try to get it in gear , and then run it like that on idle for 10ish minutes . The whole mechanism could be full of crap from sitting for so long . 

Dont know how these larger outboards do the actual gear changes , but the smaller Tomos outboards i worked on had a simple but genius solution : the crank and the output shaft were linked by a spring . If the prop hit something , the crank / other parts wont get damaged , but the spring will snap . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

No shit. Its a decent trade. I get kisses. 

Okay. Good to know. I'm gonna pull the controller open and post pics to gain an attempt to figure out where the slack is coming from. I also hooked up the tack and harness and it didnt do shit. So hopefully in two days we'll have no more gears grinding on the dogs, and a functional tach. 

I guess you want the tach for peace of mind ?

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Not going to lie, when I do start building credit when I get my first credit card it will be quite tempting to not try and put in an app for a loan for like a 2018 Chevy Equinox. Seems like an all around decent car.

I mean I can buy my mom's Kia Soul from her in 2019 for like 6k and not have a loan which would be plenty for her to put down on the same year equinox and this would be after the 2020 model year would be out for the Equinox so.

But idk I really like that Equinox and she would be more than fine not having a car payment for awhile so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

But I think most of you here would say the Equinox is an overall better car than the Soul anyways. Just sucks new cars are such a bad value. I suppose an option would be to get a 2018 Equinox right after the 2019 model year drops. Because then the dealer will be trying to get rid of that inventory to make space for the new year.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

6 hours ago, vetali said:

No school is the best option. 

That'd get me an ass whoppin.

6 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I have to start packing in 4.5 hours but I can't sleep. Rip me dude. 

Where are you going? I must've missed it.

6 hours ago, vetali said:

RIP this man

He'll be happy until he checks his wallet. ;)

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

You're actually spending time with a puppy, calling it now. :P

7 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Why is that horrible for your car? Isn't it essentially idling to warm?

idling to warm = rich for longer = more fuel in oil = more wear long term

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Not going to lie, when I do start building credit when I get my first credit card it will be quite tempting to not try and put in an app for a loan for like a 2018 Chevy Equinox. Seems like an all around decent car.

I mean I can buy my mom's Kia Soul from her in 2019 for like 6k and not have a loan which would be plenty for her to put down on the same year equinox and this would be after the 2020 model year would be out for the Equinox so.

But idk I really like that Equinox and she would be more than fine not having a car payment for awhile so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

But I think most of you here would say the Equinox is an overall better car than the Soul anyways. Just sucks new cars are such a bad value. I suppose an option would be to get a 2018 Equinox right after the 2019 model year drops. Because then the dealer will be trying to get rid of that inventory to make space for the new year.

don't take out a loan for your first car...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Different scenery calls for pictures, including the most recent addition to the family

20170814_123853.jpg

20170814_123911.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

19 hours ago, techswede said:

e49bd3a5-72d9-4380-bfab-d720b2961c92.jpg

*Tim Allen grunts*

Top things those tires are thicker than:

1. A bowl of oatmeal

2. Molasses

3. Blood

4. A snicker

5. My tires

6. The tension between US and NK

7. My last GF

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

57 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That'd get me an ass whoppin.

Where are you going? I must've missed it.

You're actually spending time with a puppy, calling it now. :P

Helping a friend move to Indy

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Neil got some wheels off a newer Chevy truck so he could get sticky tires for his "race truck" in the near future. (He's going to go down in overall diameter as well to get a gearing advantage for autoX... Those trucks are geared suuuuuper long by default lol)

Hilarious. But I love it lol

He's also has plans to swap in a V8 and a manual transmission at some point. 

Meanwhile the eclipse he bought for $300 is going to be used for some $1000 car competition he told me about. I forget the name...

@vinyldash303

IMG_3781.jpg

Spoiler

he needs to get an LSD for it though....

Problem with a truck is no weight in the back so on every single corner it just spins the outside wheel and you go nowhere... stickier tires would help with that of course but I think he'd see some serious gains with an LSD

@warmmilk I rode in it a few times last autoX... amazing how much better a truck feels when lowered. doesn't feel top heavy at all like they normally do. It did feel like autocrossing a couch though and it was hard to get used to how much slower it was than my miata... it's like autocrossing in slow motion

but it's interesting because it gives you so much more time to pick a good racing line... it's almost helpful??

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Neil got some wheels off a newer Chevy truck so he could get sticky tires for his "race truck" in the near future. (He's going to go down in overall diameter as well to get a gearing advantage for autoX... Those trucks are geared suuuuuper long by default lol)

Hilarious. But I love it lol

He's also has plans to swap in a V8 and a manual transmission at some point. 

Meanwhile the eclipse he bought for $300 is going to be used for some $1000 car competition he told me about. I forget the name...

@vinyldash303

IMG_3781.jpg

It'd be kinda interesting seeing a big truck autocrossing lol. And what do you mean v8 swap and manual? wouldn't it already have a v8?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Shes just inflicting you with the mark of the succubi

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

It'd be kinda interesting seeing a big truck autocrossing lol. And what do you mean v8 swap and manual? wouldn't it already have a v8?

nope, he has the same (4.3?) V6 that's you can also find in @vinyldash303's S10 in it right now lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

nope, he has the same (4.3?) V6 that's you can also find in @vinyldash303's S10 in it right now lol

really? i thought all sierras/silverados came with a v8, regardless of cab/bed configuration or trim.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

really? i thought all sierras/silverados came with a v8, regardless of cab/bed configuration or trim.

not the old one's, no.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

not the old one's, no.

They still have v6 options, and used that old 4.3 until 2013. 

1 minute ago, vetali said:

They still have v6 options, and used that old 4.3 until 2013. 

wow. didn't know that. never have seen a modern one with a V6 lol

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Weren't they updated after whatever generation? 

Yeah, another 4.3 but based off the LS platform, rather than a 30 year old SBC platform. 

you'll hear this from me once:

If bitcoin crashes down; sacrifice some of your money and get yourself some while it's cheap.

Thank me later.

It has so much potential to crash really hard soon... The charts look like the typical pattern of a bubble. if it follows that, it could very well go to $700 ish again..(I can be wrong. This is all a big "IF", im not saying it for sure will)

and long term it will probably end up way higher than the $4200 it is now. Get yourself a bitcoin or two and forget about it (but don't lose it/them!)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Helping a friend move to Indy

Ahh, I do recall seeing that.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

he needs to get an LSD for it though....

Problem with a truck is no weight in the back so on every single corner it just spins the outside wheel and you go nowhere... stickier tires would help with that of course but I think he'd see some serious gains with an LSD

@warmmilk I rode in it a few times last autoX... amazing how much better a truck feels when lowered. doesn't feel top heavy at all like they normally do. It did feel like autocrossing a couch though and it was hard to get used to how much slower it was than my miata... it's like autocrossing in slow motion

but it's interesting because it gives you so much more time to pick a good racing line... it's almost helpful??

I need an LSD too...

careful about calling a truck slow, @vinyldash303 might drive out and prove you wrong :D 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

55 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I need an LSD too...

careful about calling a truck slow, @vinyldash303 might drive out and prove you wrong :D 

your miata doesn't have a LSD?

haha you mean he wishes he could drive out and proove me wrong.. Oregon is so far lol

Spoiler