Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

damn, you're having your house built?

Soon, yeah.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Soon, yeah.

nice. and i doubt you need an 11 foot tall garage in order to fit a 2 post lift. adam lz managed to fit one in what looks like an ordinarily sized garage.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

13 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

I like this

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

31 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So slick and shiny. :)

I found a Swedish brother ?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

nice. and i doubt you need an 11 foot tall garage in order to fit a 2 post lift. adam lz managed to fit one in what looks like an ordinarily sized garage.

Bendpaks start at 113" of height. ~9'4" add in the height a car or SUV can get over that 11ft is the minimum recommended height. 

There are probably some shorter options but they limit the lift height. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Bendpaks start at 113" of height. ~9'4" add in the height a car or SUV can get over that 11ft is the minimum recommended height. 

There are probably some shorter options but they limit the lift height. 

I would get one that has the over head brace. You need more ceiling clearance, but you aren't tripping over something across the ground. 

There are tons of lift configurations now days though. Most of them all can lift cars pretty well. Its just when you get into trucks is where the different designs show their compatibility or incompatibilities with all the weird frame designs.

Just don't get flip up pads unless you want to die. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Just thought of something

If you do end up getting a '13 or '14 (or even if you get a '15+) I recommend replacing the rear motor mount. It's really easy and while it doesn't eliminate wheel hop or torque steer, it helps (especially the 13's and 14's, they changed it in 15 and according to others, performance improved)

I'm looking into places that could maybe do a Limited slip diff swap which should all but eliminate both issues.

Accidently backed a Honda pilot into a wall :/ was looking back and used the mirrors. Damn it :/

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

I would get one that has the over head brace. You need more ceiling clearance, but you aren't tripping over something across the ground. 

There are tons of lift configurations now days though. Most of them all can lift cars pretty well. Its just when you get into trucks is where the different designs show their compatibility or incompatibilities with all the weird frame designs.

The ones with the top brace are 143" tall so you need a 14 ceiling which adds about $10k to the garage, so that's not happening. Going from 9' to 11' only adds ~$1500.

TIL the Diablo 6.0 uses headlights from a Z32 300ZX

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Accidently backed a Honda pilot into a wall :/ was looking back and used the mirrors. Damn it :/

at work? or like in general?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The ones with the top brace are 143" tall so you need a 14 ceiling which adds about $10k to the garage, so that's not happening. Going from 9' to 11' only adds ~$1500.

Is this some sort of a customisable, but pre made package garage then, if 14" ceiling is that much more.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

2 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Is this some sort of a customisable, but pre made package garage then, if 14" ceiling is that much more.

I'm not sure I understand the question here. The house will be built based on an existing floor plan but to my specifications, so customization are fine. However some things add cost and are reflected. An 11' ceiling means they use 12' 2x6s for the garage framework which are common and cheap, but a 14' ceiling required 16' 2x6 and those are not common and much more expensive. Plus the 11' ceiling puts the roof line inline with the houses roof, a 14' ceiling would make the garage roof taller than the house, so more trusses are needed. It all adds up to adding very significant cost. 

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

at work? or like in general?

At work

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

What a way to go.

12 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Keep the building the same, just dig in to the ground another three or four feet. ;)

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

At work

RIP, is it just a scratch kind of thing or more serious?

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm not sure I understand the question here. The house will be built based on an existing floor plan but to my specifications, so customization are fine. However some things add cost and are reflected. An 11' ceiling means they use 12' 2x6s for the garage framework which are common and cheap, but a 14' ceiling required 16' 2x6 and those are not common and much more expensive. Plus the 11' ceiling puts the roof line inline with the houses roof, a 14' ceiling would make the garage roof taller than the house, so more trusses are needed. It all adds up to adding very significant cost. 

That's pretty much what I meant. 

I don't know about the states, but here it is common to use sort of DIY kits with very little custmisation. You can also obv hire someone to build it too.

But it's also common to design a house/pay an architect to design and build/get it built. Like the one I live in is some oddball 1,5 story design some architect designed in the 60's.

In these cases the price increase from going to, lets say 3m high to 4m high isn't very substantial.

Hard to explain as I'm no builder, but I hope this clears up something.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

RIP, is it just a scratch kind of thing or more serious?

Well I was going 1mph since I had to parallel park it in a tight ass spot. Mirrors showed and when I was looking back out the side window it didn't look like it would hit the small concrete wall that's a foot high. Well backed into it. Has scuffs and a nice crack because it had the weight of a full sized SUV behind it.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Well I was going 1mph since I had to parallel park it in a tight ass spot. Mirrors showed and when I was looking back out the side window it didn't look like it would hit the small concrete wall that's a foot high. Well backed into it. Has scuffs and a nice crack because it had the weight of a full sized SUV behind it.

Damn. :/

19 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

TIL the Diablo 6.0 uses headlights from a Z32 300ZX

i'm just glad they got rid of the ugly ass air bag after the refresh. that first gen airbag was god almighty ugly, and i thought that was super dangerous, because it looked super close to someone's chest.

7 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

At work

yikes. how is the owner gonna react, or has reacted?

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i'm just glad they got rid of the ugly ass air bag after the refresh. that first gen airbag was god almighty ugly, and i thought that was super dangerous, because it looked super close to someone's chest.

yikes. how is the owner gonna react, or has reacted?

No idea the service manager takes care of that. 

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Damn. :/

Tell me about it. All big cars no will be going to C lot and not B lot if there is only parallel spaces left. My boss was super chill about it though. Just don't do it again be more careful next time and I did the right thing by telling him right away.

14 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

That's pretty much what I meant. 

I don't know about the states, but here it is common to use sort of DIY kits with very little custmisation. You can also obv hire someone to build it too.

But it's also common to design a house/pay an architect to design and build/get it built. Like the one I live in is some oddball 1,5 story design some architect designed in the 60's.

In these cases the price increase from going to, lets say 3m high to 4m high isn't very substantial.

Hard to explain as I'm no builder, but I hope this clears up something.

Here most houses are built to standard plans by a developer, but most developers will also sell houses based on their standard plans with some changes to suit the customer; this is the route I'm looking at. Otherwise if you want something very different you can get a plan drawn up by an architectural firm and bring it to a general contractor for them to build; my parents did this with their cabin a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Otherwise if you want something very different you can get a plan drawn up by an architectural firm and bring it to a general contractor for them to build;

Custom plans cost so much..

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Custom plans cost so much..

Yeah, that's not the cheapest way to get things done.