Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

What do you mean one cars worth?

Enough carbon fiber to make a car.

Enough carbon fiber to cost the same as a car :P

Shit if I wanted to spend $40k on carbon fiber I could make 3, it isn't THAT expensive.

Shit if I wanted to spend $40k on carbon fiber I could make 3, it isn't THAT expensive.

No. Not expensive at all :lol:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Do you have some super secret project going on?

No, I can say if you want. But it's going to take quite a long time to finish it. Even just starting is going to be a while. Just taking the time to figure out weave, epoxy, prices, molds, tools, etc.

No, I can say if you want. But it's going to take quite a long time to finish it. Even just starting is going to be a while. Just taking the time to figure out weave, epoxy, prices, molds, tools, etc.

Oh. You were just being so vague that's all.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Enough carbon fiber to make a car.

I dont mean to be pessimistic but if you are unsure on your epoxies a whole car project is over your head. 

I have used thousands of dollars worth of carbon, and made probably close to 100 different layouts and I wouldn't attempt a whole car. The mold work alone is enormous.  

Edit to sound like less of an ass: You really really need to start small and simple. Something like a simple wet layup on a sheet of glass then pulled under vacuum will help you learn a ton. Unfortunatly, you will almost certainly screw up your first attempt. It's simple, but the little things make a big difference. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I dont mean to be pessimistic but if you are unsure on your epoxies a whole car project is over your head. 

I have used thousands of dollars worth of carbon, and made probably close to 100 different layouts and I wouldn't attempt a whole car. The mold work alone is enormous.

Let him have some fun ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

His wallet won't laugh tho.

Oh. You were just being so vague that's all.

:P

I can see why you'd say that.

I'm not unfamiliar with carbon fiber, I've worked with it before many times doing some semi-large projects. I've just been asking around what they think should be done to compare opinions.

Molds can be hard to make, but I've got the patience and the resources to make it a loooot easier. Why use clay when you can just make a plastic mold out of the car you can take apart? :D (essentially)

Let him have some fun ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

His wallet won't laugh tho.

;) It won't dip in to any funds that are important. I've made sure that enough money will be set aside for this.

I'm pretty bummed out that now that the weather is becoming warmer, I have no school, I have a driver's license and a car I won't be able enjoy it to the fullest. It's even the first summer I have a car.

I'm pretty bummed out that now that the weather is becoming warmer, I have no school, I have a driver's license and a car I won't be able enjoy it to the fullest. It's even the first summer I have a car.

Huehuehue

I still have 2 or 3 long summers to wait to have a car so yeah. FML

You should take your car out to a desert. At least that's something we do here when we're bored. :D

Huehuehue

You guys make me feel lucky that I have my own truck. Then I realize life sucks at the moment. :P

Huehuehue

Don't you get 50cc or 125cc bikes in Portugal. Those kept me entertained when I was younger.

Sometimes very entertained because Finland doesn't lack terrain to dirt bike in.

@AlwaysFSX Yes, to the famous Finnish deserts.

But maybe if I feel like it I could drive some nice machinery in the army and get a free lorry license while I'm at it.

Though they tend to favour people with past experience.

:P

I can see why you'd say that.

I'm not unfamiliar with carbon fiber, I've worked with it before many times doing some semi-large projects. I've just been asking around what they think should be done to compare opinions.

Molds can be hard to make, but I've got the patience and the resources to make it a loooot easier. Why use clay when you can just make a plastic mold out of the car you can take apart? :D (essentially)

I've never used clay molds, repeatability is important and clay doesn't really offer that. I have used primarily fiberglass molds and when I could CNC'ed aluminum molds are even better. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Don't you get 50cc or 125cc bikes in Portugal. Those kept me entertained when I was younger.Sometimes very entertained because Finland doesn't lack terrain to dirt bike in.

125cc when 16. Tho, my father is scared. He didn't buy a bike for my brother, so he might not buy one for me. And I know how to ride a 125cc since I was 13.

And he used to ride a 1100cc like a maniac. -____________-

And yes, that 1100c is being kept in the garage ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Don't you get 50cc or 125cc bikes in Portugal. Those kept me entertained when I was younger.Sometimes very entertained because Finland doesn't lack terrain to dirt bike in.@AlwaysFSX Yes, to the famous Finnish deserts.But maybe if I feel like it I could drive some nice machinery in the army and get a free lorry license while I'm at it.Though they tend to favour people with past experience.

I think what I said got lost in translation.. xD

I've never used clay molds, repeatability is important and clay doesn't really offer that. I have used primarily fiberglass molds and when I could CNC'ed aluminum molds are even better.

What I'm planning to do (subject to change) is dismantle vehicle A, spray what needs to be molded in fiber glass, and go through the process of recreating it in cf for the new vehicle.

I know it can be done, as I've seen it before. It's just time consuming work.

Thankfully though I can create straight 1 to 1 molds with little effort. The hardest part to do will be the undercarriage because of design, it'll need to be two parts bolted together I think but I won't know for sure until I start the process.

I thought I got your point. It was to take my car to some fun place. Or was it not?

I thought I got your point. It was to take my car to some fun place. Or was it not?

It was :D

It was :D

Good :P

The desert part was some sarcastic reply since I've never even seen a desert.

Good :PThe desert part was some sarcastic reply since I've never even seen a desert.

Aww it's so beautiful here before the sun rises..because you can't see how shit the city is. :lol:

What I'm planning to do (subject to change) is dismantle vehicle A, spray what needs to be molded in fiber glass, and go through the process of recreating it in cf for the new vehicle.

I know it can be done, as I've seen it before. It's just time consuming work.

Thankfully though I can create straight 1 to 1 molds with little effort. The hardest part to do will be the undercarriage because of design, it'll need to be two parts bolted together I think but I won't know for sure until I start the process.

It can be done (in some cases) but its usually not a good idea to simply duplicate a steel car in CF.

CF is stronger than steel in tension but much much less capable in compression. Since cars are generally designed around a steel unibody this isn't a big deal, but if you want to replace the material with CF a lot of analysis work absolutely must be done to ensure that the new structure can actually handle the forces. If you simply duplicate in CF it will fail. You will not simply have a lighter stronger version of the old car. 

People can make carbon fiber cars because they are designed from minute one to be carbon fiber, never steel like normal cars.

It can be done (in some cases) but its usually not a good idea to simply duplicate a steel car in CF.

CF is stronger than steel in tension but much much less capable in compression. Since cars are generally designed around a steel unibody this isn't a big deal, but if you want to replace the material with CF a lot of analysis work absolutely must be done to ensure that the new structure can actually handle the forces. If you simply duplicate in CF it will fail. You will not simply have a lighter stronger version of the old car. 

People can make carbon fiber cars because they are designed from minute one to be carbon fiber, never steel like normal cars.

Oh don't worry, I'm very well aware of this. Most of the money spent will be for prototypes to be sent for crash testing. I've been looking at doing some physics simulations with kinds of corrugation and bracing and seeing where that leads me. Pretty much all of my time will be spent on safety design above everything else. I have about a years worth of time for planning, don't intend to start this until the beginning of next summer.

@terrytek mazdaspeed 3's are awesome.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I love older nissan navara pick ups a lot.

But damn this makes me want to get a ford

62946362.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"