Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Meh, I like I4s, I6s, V8s, and V12s; V6s and V10s dont sound as nice to my ear. Then again, I'm weird. 

V10s sound like a strange V8.

Just now, NavyCuda said:

I used to believe that but an inline 6 and some v6s can sound decent.  V12 Twin turbo diesel engines sound fantastic.

I think 4 cylinder engines sound better than sixes. They just sound like junk, need to muffle most of the noise coming out of it to get any decent sound.

Just now, NavyCuda said:

I can't stand V10s and i5s.  Only things worse than i4s.  Boxer 4s are pretty terrible sounding too.

Sounds like a lawnmower and smells like oil? Subaru.

Between the VG30ET and the 7M-GTE, they changed my opinion of the sound of six cylinders.  Before them it was V8 or nothing.

I was raised on AMC V8s primarily, with some exposure to the big 3.  The 360 AMC had a very unique sound for a V8 of that era.  The big surprise was how good the 360 was on propane.  The Ford Y-Block in a '55 T-Bird sounded like a huey at low RPM.  The flathead Ford, all 90horsepower is a fantastically smooth engine, rivaling my Nissan V8, but was so smooth it almost didn't sound like a V8.

you guys are all idiots... good sounding engines sound good and bad sounding engines sound bad.  there are great sounding 4 bangers and there are horrible sounding V8's... simple as that.  

I know we're not supposed to insult anyone on here, but saying something like "all 4 bangers sound like shit" makes you an idiot (on this subject)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

5 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

you guys are all idiots... good sounding engines sound good and bad sounding engines sound bad.  there are great sounding 4 bangers and there are horrible sounding V8's... simple as that.  

I know we're not supposed to insult anyone on here, but saying something like "all 4 bangers sound like shit" makes you an idiot (on this subject)

I agree. For example, Toyota makes great sounding v6 and v8s, but their i4s sound like garbage to me. Chevy v8s sound good, but I hate the sound of Chevy v6s. (all my opinion) 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

5 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I can understand and appreciate what you're saying, minus the insult, I don't think anyone appreciates that.

However, engine configuration does generally (there are some odd balls out there) dictate the firing offset, which is plays a large role in the sound a car makes. Of coarse there are other contributing factors out there, but to ignore some of the fundamental differences because you don't agree with the opinion is does not make you more correct. 

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

no need to be an asshole about the whole thing

^^^ As you, so eloquently put it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

26 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I agree. For example, Toyota makes great sounding v6 and v8s, but their i4s sound like garbage to me. Chevy v8s sound good, but I hate the sound of Chevy v6s. (all my opinion) 

dude, have you seen @bcredeur97's corolla autox vids? his car sounds surprisingly good!  and lotus elise/exige, use a toyota 4 banger...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Well if you're going to fling insults, all that does is prove you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

From the purely sound point of view the 4 cylinder has too much of a gap between each ignition event, making for an sound that lacks harmony.  The six cylinder has that time gap reduced just enough that the engine can sound smooth.  Oddly though, the i3, with a larger gap seems to be more harmonious than the i4.

The firing order of a non-flatplane V8 causes for bumps in the sound that not only stand out but add to the harmony produced.

A V12 is about as smooth sounding as an engine can get.  Something about the sound of the V10 lacks harmony but I can't put it into words, because mathematically it should sound almost as smooth as a v12.

25 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Atmos I have yellow fog lights, blue hose clamps, and rally armor mud flaps, and decals on my s10. Am I a ricer yet?

Edit: forgot he picture of the hose clamps. But I do have a picture of the blue brake calipers.

The mud flaps might be just a bit rice though. ;):D

8 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Well if you're going to fling insults, all that does is prove you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

From the purely sound point of view the 4 cylinder has too much of a gap between each ignition event, making for an sound that lacks harmony.  The six cylinder has that time gap reduced just enough that the engine can sound smooth.  Oddly though, the i3, with a larger gap seems to be more harmonious than the i4.

The firing order of a non-flatplane V8 causes for bumps in the sound that not only stand out but add to the harmony produced.

A V12 is about as smooth sounding as an engine can get.  Something about the sound of the V10 lacks harmony but I can't put it into words, because mathematically it should sound almost as smooth as a v12.

honestly, a v12 or even an inline 6, since it's technically half a v12 block, can be as smooth as you can get.

40 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

for me any inline 4 with a nice exhaust kit from the headers back can sound good, if you spend some good money on them. american v6s to me also sound like garbage. but i absolutely love the sound of a twin turbo 6 cylinder or a naturally aspirated or supercharged german v8. those sound amazing. and toyota v6s and v8s sound great too. so it's subjective. everybody has their own different opinions.

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

You can sure, hell I have plenty of fun in my 3.2tl, but spending hundreds and even thousands on exhaust kits, suspension mods, and ruining a daily driver car so you can have fun is just stupid. Put that money aside and soon enough you'll have enough to get a car or bike that you can really have some fun in.

If you haven't driven a purpose built performance car, then you might not realize the difference in just pure enjoyment you can get from driving. There's a reason even a staunch supporter of automatic transmissions in a daily driver like myself caves the second you mention anything about sports cars.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't "want" one, but it makes far more sense to turn that cooler over for a better component to actually improve performance.

that's bullcrap really. i have a 2002 mazda protege es at home with 260k on the odometer, and even though it's a bit old, it's aged well. it still feels as fun as hell to drive, it's got a 5 speed stick, so it's still got an old fasho type of transmission, adding to the fun factor, and i plan on a few mods, like some stiffer springs (can't go full coilovers because i just replaced the struts 30k miles ago), a new set of headers, some 17 inch rims from a different mazda, and a racing beat catback exhaust. seems like a lot of money for such an old car, but its still a fun ass car to drive, and i want to continue owning this car for a while.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Never heard a bad sounding V8, just a bad exhaust system on one. :P

I have... When I bought my Q45 it was only running on 5 cylinders!

The VH45DE uses the exact same injectors as the VG30DETT so I had a drawer full of used injectors to choose from.  Tested resistance and the spray pattern of each, taking the best ones and putting them in my rail.

2 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

I have... When I bought my Q45 it was only running on 5 cylinders!

The VH45DE uses the exact same injectors as the VG30DETT so I had a drawer full of used injectors to choose from.  Tested resistance and the spray pattern of each, taking the best ones and putting them in my rail.

well only because it wasn't designed to run on 5 cylinders silly :P but seriously, the 5 cylinder engines in Audi cars actually sound good. same with any volvo model with a 5 cylinder engine. they do sound good.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well only because it wasn't designed to run on 5 cylinders silly :P but seriously, the 5 cylinder engines in Audi cars actually sound good. same with any volvo model with a 5 cylinder engine. they do sound good.

Any VAG 5cylinder sounds boss IMO, especially when turbo'd and using a 2.5" resonated pipe

Off topic: its my last day here at my current work. Start back at my states Fire/Police/SES/Forensics infrastructure again on monday. Better pay, potential project car?

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

I'm gonna get a picture of it as soon as I can, but recently I purchased a 1965 OLDSMOBILE cutlass convertible!!! It's my new baby, It needs a lot of repairs since it has been sitting in a garage since 1969... Nothing body wise, just that an engine sitting for that long is bound to need repairs!

Just now, BirdyBlue007 said:

I'm gonna get a picture of it as soon as I can, but recently I purchased a 1965 OLDSMOBILE cutlass convertible!!! It's my new baby, It needs a lot of repairs since it has been sitting in a garage since 1969... Nothing body wise, just that an engine sitting for that long is bound to need repairs!

wow, driven for only 4 years, and sat in a garage for >40 years? i don't think that car can run at that point, unless you replace the engine. because i'm pretty sure things would have seized up long ago.

yeah @terrytek it'll probably be a lot of work, but i've got a lot of family who are down to help, I'll post a picture when I can! It's in pretty good condition body wise! It wasn't left in the elements which is good at least... 

It could still run.  My grandpa had a model A that would sit for decades at a time and then fire right up with fresh fuel and a charged battery.

44 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Atmos I have yellow fog lights, blue hose clamps, and rally armor mud flaps, and decals on my s10. Am I a ricer yet?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edit: forgot he picture of the hose clamps. But I do have a picture of the blue brake calipers. 

image.jpeg

only if you lower and slap a gt wing on it. 

Theres a big difference between gearing out a truck for better use, and slapping a race exhaust and radials on an ACCORD or CIVIC. 

Its almost like people cant read, i was talking about the kinds of people who slap either drop fart can exhausts or run straight pipes on their accord/civics/camery, or the people who spend out the ass to lower, install spoilers, race exhaust kits, and just in general fuck up their daily drivers. 

A perfect example. I went to highschool with my senior year a kid who drove himself to school in a 2dr civic, but he had it lowered, running straight pipes, with shitty cholo rims and a ricer wing. He had fucked it up so badly it scraped on every speed bumb in the parking lot, and required a push to start. You dont look gangster having your friend pushing your shitty riced civic across the school parking lot so you can drive home. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

only if you lower and slap a gt wing on it. 

Theres a big difference between gearing out a truck for better use, and slapping a race exhaust and radials on an ACCORD or CIVIC. 

Its almost like people cant read, i was talking about the kinds of people who slap either drop fart can exhausts or run straight pipes on their accord/civics/camery, or the people who spend out the ass to lower, install spoilers, race exhaust kits, and just in general fuck up their daily drivers. 

A perfect example. I went to highschool with my senior year a kid who drove himself to school in a 2dr civic, but he had it lowered, running straight pipes, with shitty cholo rims and a ricer wing. He had fucked it up so badly it scraped on every speed bumb in the parking lot, and required a push to start. You dont look gangster having your friend pushing your shitty riced civic across the school parking lot so you can drive home. 

takeyari-japan-s-crazy-bamboo-spear-exhaust-fetish-for-bosozoku-cars-96473_5.jpg

lmao he a star in his riced up shitbox that struggles to hit 60mph

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

26 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

@terrytek I'm not disputing that, just pointing out that a V8 can sound shitty!

A V8 with all cylinders firing doesn't sound like shit, it's almost impossible. The only thing that can ruin the noise is lack of displacement and bad exhaust. :P

23 minutes ago, BirdyBlue007 said:

You lucky son of a bitch. :D

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oh hell yeah. But they're 

Rendered Image

I can't even read that..

8 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

You might wanna hope a certain someone doesn't see this post :P

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I'm gone for a day and this place gets violent and hectic as hell. Everyone just chill. Even if you don't agree with what someone wants to do to their car doesn't mean attack them, or get shitty online.

The cars in my area have a huge variance, there's 1200HP Daily driven Evos and Subarus, and there's ricers, there's LS swapped WRXs, Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos, you name it, it's in my area, that's what happens when you have around 400K people in a couple of cities. Let people be, it isn't your car or your money. Chill.

Why can't we all just be kind and be friends here?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

14 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

i mean, i hate this trend, of thinking they can make their exhaust into shapes like these, but it's their car. let them be them. i could care less what they do with those bosozuku style cars.

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Why can't we all just be kind and be friends here?

Because fuck you and your opinion /s