Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

dayum dad, where do you get all theese cars from????

he has a 1994 sw20 (mr2) wich he is working on to geit it running and then he will either sell it or the 86.

(most likely going to sell his 86 because the value of mr2`s has really dropped while the 86 is climbing in value)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

59 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so i saw a bmw m4 in white today, and it did look absolutely gorgeous because it had stripe along the front of the car, and it looked amazing.

so imagine a white m4 like this

but with the strip like this on the front. same exact location.

7887a1d8a0f9e65c9e9c29799342ba30.jpg

too big in my opinion...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

6 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

dayum dad, where do you get all theese cars from????

he has a 1994 sw20 (mr2) wich he is working on to geit it running and then he will either sell it or the 86.

(most likely going to sell his 86 because the value of mr2`s has really dropped while the 86 is climbing in value)

he should definitely do a 2GR swap on that(assuming it's non-turbo). it's actually lighter than the stock 4 cylinder version.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

wow. that's a sucky situation. can you jump start it? it might run long enough to move it. hopefully it isn't far?

Tried jumping for an hour and a half with the donor vehicle redlined for half of that time.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Could jump it and run it on the alternator. Or with the cables still attached. Kinda jankey.

Or just put it in neutral and push it. They aren't that heavy. Grandad and I push the s10 around all the time so we don't have to start it and shut it down all the time. 

Ever see an alternator so good when you roll a window down your lights dim? Have to move it uphill a bit. Kinda looking for the least effort way to do this.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Tried jumping for an hour and a half with the donor vehicle redlined for half of that time.

Ever see an alternator so good when you roll a window down your lights dim? Have to move it uphill a bit. Kinda looking for the least effort way to do this.

wow. that's crazy. could you hook up another battery without putting it fully in place?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

wow. so why can't america just give up the standard units and just join the rest of the world with metric in everything else? i mean if manufacturing in america uses metric, then everything else should convert to metric. besides, metric is a much more uniform standard, with units of 10. the standard system is arbitrary for everything, from temperature to mass to volume in terms of units. i mean, seriously 32f for freezing and 212 for boiling water? where the hell did that come from?

Because it'd be very, very expensive and a massive waste of time. And the whole thing about Fahrenheit is a long story why the ranges are like that.

5 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

wow. that's crazy. could you hook up another battery without putting it fully in place?

I would need a several feet of bungee cord because the hood wouldn't be able to close and I would have to hold the battery down some way to prevent it from falling in to the serpentine belt since the battery tray ends at the battery and there's a gaping hole next to it, anything bigger would flop over.

mustang engine bay.jpg

Also I found this picture, did someone seriously procharge a V6 Mustang..?

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

@AlwaysFSX yeah it's really cool. That dude in blue has a video on it. I actually quite like the v6 mustangs. They're kinda silly but I'd take it over a 4 banger. 

Really? I've never seen it before, got a link?

Thought you meant the junk 2V V6. :(

I wouldn't know. I just know its got 6 uppy downy things and says mustang. :P

Omg

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

?

That's one way of talking about the engine :P

Transmission fluid came!IMG_20160713_171922871.jpg

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Nice choice! I wanted Delco branded Dex 6 to change mine but didn't have time to wait for shipping. :/ 

thanks! the Friction modified stuff is supposed to solve the notchiness/grinding 3rd gear issues that the 7th gen accords have.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

too big in my opinion...

then what do you think is a good size? because i think that's much better than stripes running the entire length of the car.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So after a very long conversation with my dad who drove here from work to drop off lunch for me. We talked mostly about the condition of the bottom end and getting all the gasket material off. Did lots of scraping. I scraped that thing for hours and spent a good hour wiping things down. Never worked so hard for something as simple as a gasket lol. But I'm making progress. 

Got out the cylinder head on. Head bolts torqued down in sequence and in steps too. Oiled the head bolts before I put them on as well. 

So nervous that it won't work right now after I put everything else back on and back together 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, techswede said:

The bar is set at MK5 golf level. So even a bicycle would probably be worth it xD 

don't trash the mk5 golf's dude, they are actually a really good car lol

Looking to purchase an old merc w124, would prefer v8 model but who knows what will pop up. v8 - turbo build would be mint for a bag setup'd merc

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

It is. I personally think its a bit bold but more tasteful than the full length ones

definitely. it doesn't need a lot for a bmw m4 to look good. but i like mine with a liberty walk kit.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

So after a very long conversation with my dad who drove here from work to drop off lunch for me. We talked mostly about the condition of the bottom end and getting all the gasket material off. Did lots of scraping. I scraped that thing for hours and spent a good hour wiping things down. Never worked so hard for something as simple as a gasket lol. But I'm making progress. 

Got out the cylinder head on. Head bolts torqued down in sequence and in steps too. Oiled the head bolts before I put them on as well. 

So nervous that it won't work right now after I put everything else back on and back together 

i'm always worried about a big project, especially on the engine, worried it's not gonna start. i remember the one time i (curiously stupidly) swapped the intake and exhaust cam positions and this was the first time i did a timing job. and we ended up blowing some shit open.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

not sure if there are anyone from England here but if there is, I have a question. Why do you use mpg if you fill up with liters and measure your distance in kilometers?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You got the mating surface clean though right? Thats what it sounds like

Yep. That's why I spent hours scraping and wiping lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think they do litres per 100k and then convert that to kpg and here they'll convert that to MPG.

no they use mpg. i am sure of it

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/