Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

The type SH shipped with the wheels in the photos, the base model shipped with these wheels:

QeqvC4T.jpg

oh yeah, forgot about those... haha

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

5 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

The type SH shipped with the wheels in the photos, the base model shipped with these wheels:

QeqvC4T.jpg

i actually prefer these rims. they look like throwing stars in motion if its stopped on a frame.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Obligatory "LS Swap" comment.

The LS is about 200lbs lighter than a 2JZ... Just saying.

1UZFE Maybe?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

oh yeah, forgot about those... haha

My friend had them on his 97, but they were plastidipped black

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Conclusion for the Mazda exchange. 

Short of it, I couldn't pull the trigger. The Mazda3 that they showed me was nice, and no doubt was a nice drive, I already became attached to mine. Though financially it makes little sense to stay my hand,  I just couldn't do it. The interior, the exterior, the electronics, and controls, even the transmission stick was just too different than what I'd grown used to. 

Transitioning from the Volvo was easy enough as it was on deaths door and had little option. But sitting in the driver's seat of this one felt completely wrong to me. In the end, I chose to keep the Mazda3 I originally purchased. 

I do feel rather horrible for wasting the salesperson's time, however, I am grateful they went through this trouble. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i actually prefer these rims. they look like throwing stars in motion if its stopped on a frame.

I prefer the type SH wheels. The base model ones aren't bad, but if I wanted sawblades I'd go for C4 Corvette wheels, the owner Ian actually put that in my mind

Here's with the C4 wheels:

2Mw622l.jpg

Also here we go with some Cobra wheels which I also really like:

DjAcHws.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Conclusion for the Mazda exchange. 

Short of it, I couldn't pull the trigger. The Mazda3 that they showed me was nice, and no doubt was a nice drive, I already became attached to mine. Though financially it makes little sense, I just couldn't do it. The interior, the exterior, the electronics, and controls, even the transmission stick was just too different than what I'd grown used to. 

Transitioning from the Volvo was easy enough as it was on deaths door and had little option. But sitting in the driver's seat of this one felt completely wrong to me. In the end, I chose to keep the Mazda3 I originally purchased. 

I do feel rather horrible for wasting the salesperson's time, however, I am grateful they went through this trouble. 

:(( you could've had nice features like usb and even alloys and other stuff. but i don't understand how even a gearshifter would be different across trims of the same year.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

:(( you could've had nice features like usb and even alloys and other stuff. but i don't understand how even a gearshifter would be different across trims of the same year.

Different year. 2013 vs 2014 and 5 speed vs 6 speed. The interior was also darker, and felt quite cramped. 

Also, albeit beside the point,  would I make more decisions with my own financial benefit in mind, I'd probably be a much richer person right now, sad to say. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Different year. 2013 vs 2014 and 5 speed vs 6 speed. The interior was also darker, and felt quite cramped. 

Also, albeit beside the point,  would I make more decisions with my own financial benefit in mind, I'd probably be a much richer person right now, sad to say. 

oh i thought you got a same year mazda 3, but a different trim with a skyactiv engine and some more features.

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

what. the. fuck.

i'm starting to think this guy has too many cars. first his e39 m5 (what he started the channel with), then a first gen gallardo, pre facelift, and then he also has a 2016 mercedes s550, and now this, a 200k supercar. i'm wondering where this guy gets all the money to afford all these cars.

I have never really liked him. not sure why. just perfer  shmee

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

huh, didn't know gates made water pumps. i thought they only made belts, which btw are very high quality. i have a gates timing belt on the protege and it has really lasted a while since i installed it last year or two i think.

i wish i had a set of ratcheting metrics. i only got standard ratchet wrenches and i'm kinda annoyed since i use my metric ones way more often.

Yeah gates makes good timing stuff.

5 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Pretty much all cars after the mid 80's or so is all metric.

My standards get most of their use on lawn mowers, snowblowers etc. 

Not necessarily. Like a SBC, SBF, and LA engines were still standard and used into the 2000s (with the 4.3l up to 2013). A lot of suspension stuff was still standard from all 3. 

Diffs still have standard size bolts. 

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Good news! We never will. 

@vetali symptoms of failing heater core vs symptoms of failing evapor core vs symptoms of failing ac box? Also can a 16 pound radiator cap cause a heater core on a 15 pound system to fail?

Heater core will leak on the floor, evaporator core will leak refrigerant unless you mean the drain is plugged, AC boxes don't normally fail and leak water. And no.

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Which ironically is closer to 1.5"x3.5" but that's a whole different convo.

But I agree that people put altogether too much energy into their favorite particular unit of measure. 

When it means you have to buy two sets of tools, I'm pretty passionate about my favorite. 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

So after a very long conversation with my dad who drove here from work to drop off lunch for me. We talked mostly about the condition of the bottom end and getting all the gasket material off. Did lots of scraping. I scraped that thing for hours and spent a good hour wiping things down. Never worked so hard for something as simple as a gasket lol. But I'm making progress. 

Got out the cylinder head on. Head bolts torqued down in sequence and in steps too. Oiled the head bolts before I put them on as well. 

So nervous that it won't work right now after I put everything else back on and back together 

Need a die grinder man... I got my surface cleaned in 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

okay, so the fill bolt won't come off. it's in a bad spot and it's hard to fit a ratchet in there and get good leverage. can I just fill it thought the check bolt and be done with it? (I haven't drained the tranny fluid yet just in case this happened)

If its like other hondas, its gonna be torqued to 9001 ft lb. They are really hard to break loose. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

@FuzzyYellow Isn't your Accord named Alice?

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@vetali thank you! Got a call from the dealer and wound up being a leaky rear window that was causing water to puddle of all things. Glad I took it in because I never would've found it. 

Yeah I saw the post but still decided to reply in case you were curious. 

I hate finding interior leaks. Most of the time I'm not confident enough to condemn something to the fault. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

7 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I have never really liked him. not sure why i enjoy watching shmee

i mean his most interesting videos were his earlier videos involving his nice e39 m5. that's the main reason i subscribe to him. he's got a nice ass m5. i'm not sure if there's another popular youtuber out there who owns a beast of a car like these.

17 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I prefer the type SH wheels. The base model ones aren't bad, but if I wanted sawblades I'd go for C4 Corvette wheels, the owner Ian actually put that in my mind

Here's with the C4 wheels:

2Mw622l.jpg

Also here we go with some Cobra wheels which I also really like:

DjAcHws.jpg

not gonna lie, white wheels on a white car do something to me. i just love white wheels on a white car.

i mean his most interesting videos were his earlier videos involving his nice e39 m5. that's the main reason i subscribe to him. he's got a nice ass m5. i'm not sure if there's another popular youtuber out there who owns a beast of a car like these.

not gonna lie, white wheels on a white car do something to me. i just love white wheels on a white car.

I love that white car, he replaced the 5G Prelude badges with the cursive 4G badges and it looks great

Here's the video on it:

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I love that white car, he replaced the 5G Prelude badges with the cursive 4G badges and it looks great

Here's the video on it:

ok now im actually interested in preludes. but one thing's stopping me. it's a coupe. just not practical in daily use.

Someone threw the front end of a 4G Prelude on a 5G. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's well done, but ehh. The 4G is my least favorite gen.

dOzYC97.jpg

2bqsNty.jpg

zSacQBr.jpg

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ok now im actually interested in preludes. but one thing's stopping me. it's a coupe. just not practical in daily use.

I've looked into how much they are out west, they're definitely a lot cheaper in California than in the midwest. Maybe you could look into buying one, then buying a sedan of some nature? I do have a few friends that have only had coupes and they say it's really not that bad. My friend James has only owned 2 door cars. He's already had a Sunfire, Prelude, Cobalt SS, GMC Sierra Grande (different but still), Firebird, and now he owns a 5.0 Foxbody

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

That thing is very pretty. Those cobra wheels... As in Mustang Cobra right? If so that's amazing. 

Yep, Mustang wheels. If I ever find some for sale on my local Craigslist I'll definitely try to buy them if I get the car

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Yep, Mustang wheels. If I ever find some for sale on my local Craigslist I'll definitely try to buy them if I get the car

really? i'm quite surprised the cobra wheels have the same bolt pattern of the mustang, unless the prelude adapted mustang hubs onto it.

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've looked into how much they are out west, they're definitely a lot cheaper in California than in the midwest. Maybe you could look into buying one, then buying a sedan of some nature? I do have a few friends that have only had coupes and they say it's really not that bad. My friend James has only owned 2 door cars. He's already had a Sunfire, Prelude, Cobalt SS, GMC Sierra Grande (different but still), Firebird, and now he owns a 5.0 Foxbody

i mean, my dad's gonna only let me insure one car of mine under the policy. so 2 cars is a no go. but if i do end up buying an m5, i still have a 4 door backup, the protege, or corolla, in case my car ends up in the shop for planned or unplanned things.

really? i'm quite surprised the cobra wheels have the same bolt pattern of the mustang, unless the prelude adapted mustang hubs onto it.

i mean, my dad's gonna only let me insure one car of mine under the policy. so 2 cars is a no go. but if i do end up buying an m5, i still have a 4 door backup, the protege, or corolla, in case my car ends up in the shop for planned or unplanned things.

Maybe look into a Prelude before you go get your M5, it'll be way cheaper to run and maintain at a young age, insurance will be better on you, and it's really a fun fwd car, they handle pretty damn great as well. They'er really underrated cars

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@RevoltTrain possible wallpaper?

image.png

Oh boy. Goals here guys, goals here

28 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

@FuzzyYellow Isn't your Accord named Alice?

yep

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah gates makes good timing stuff.

Not necessarily. Like a SBC, SBF, and LA engines were still standard and used into the 2000s (with the 4.3l up to 2013). A lot of suspension stuff was still standard from all 3. 

Diffs still have standard size bolts. 

Heater core will leak on the floor, evaporator core will leak refrigerant unless you mean the drain is plugged, AC boxes don't normally fail and leak water. And no.

When it means you have to buy two sets of tools, I'm pretty passionate about my favorite. 

Need a die grinder man... I got my surface cleaned in 10 minutes.

If its like other hondas, its gonna be torqued to 9001 ft lb. They are really hard to break loose. 

I finally got it. took a full sized breaker bar though. :/

the Synchromesh fluid really helps though. gearbox feels a lot smoother. :)

17 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Someone threw the front end of a 4G Prelude on a 5G. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's well done, but ehh. The 4G is my least favorite gen.

I'd love it if it were the other way around. 5G front end on a 4G. I don't like the rear of the 5G.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

yep

I finally got it. took a full sized breaker bar though. :/

the Synchromesh fluid really helps though. gearbox feels a lot smoother. :)

I'd love it if it were the other way around. 5G front end on a 4G. I don't like the rear of the 5G.

So if I got the car, not only would we be Honda family, but both cars would be named Alice as that's what Ian named the Prelude already. Funny how that worked out :D

I really like the back of the 5G Preludes, but I used to not be a big fan of them. Not a fan of the 4G Prelude at all, other than the dash board. Looks like a space ship inside of them

I know this video shows the dash off pretty nicely. Also using the H22A4 from the 5G

14 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Maybe look into a Prelude before you go get your M5, it'll be way cheaper to run and maintain at a young age, insurance will be better on you, and it's really a fun fwd car, they handle pretty damn great as well. They'er really underrated cars

idk. to me, the m5 looks way better, especially with halo lights, it's much more fun to drive, plus its a lot more comfy, being a bmw. and i know the cost to maintain it is high, but i'm willing to dump a bit more money to maintain it.