Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

19 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Meet the new shed

20230402_115758.jpg

Just like my old shed, been a great work car over the years, sadly going to brake it soon due to that idiot Mayor

Pete

On 10/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, Neroon said:

Well I finally got it, everything got fixed, sadly between my migraine and it being rush hour right now (17:15 here) I ain't driving around, but will be driving around tonight.

Btw I got some plans for this car, as it looks rather standard right now. I want it wrapped with something between yellow and orange, with black accents, it will be a while before I do that, because I really want to get info as to where I should get it done, and what modifications I want to do. To be clear, any modification will be minor, and I absolutely will not lower it.

20221027_164442.thumb.jpg.1630e915831d9e6d70b26ba9ff148bda.jpg

20221027_164455.thumb.jpg.04dbd13a8dc39723f7f6617274e7565c.jpg

It's been a while since I posted this, and wanted to give an update. I finally got it sprayed. I originally wanted it wrapped, but there were a few reasons not to.

The main one was the fact I went with different bumpers + sideskirts, I wanted the M sport ones, and they are almost impossible to get second handed, but there are great replicas for these cars. They however only have primer, and reputable wrappers told me that you don't really want to wrap on that. So if I needed to get it all sprayed, I figured I might as well look into getting it all sprayed, especially since then you get the inside of the doors etc all done as well. Basically unless you start stripping the car or look inside the engine bay, you won't see it's original colour.

Aside from the aforementioned parts, I also added a spoiler, got new side blinkers (smoked LED), gloss black grill and mirror caps. 

I'm gonna get the chrome around my windows wrapped gloss black, painting just wasn't an option, gonna get 18 inch OEM BMW wheels, and paint them gloss black as well, and gonna replace the tips of my exhaust, they just don't look that great anymore. I also got a front spoiler, but that will be placed underneath soon, gonna be fairly simple. It's about accent, I do not want to lower my car, especially not where I live. And yes it will lower it by about 1cm in the middle of the bumper (which is the mostly likely part to get damaged with speedbumps - though I've never had that issue so far with this car)
Inside I do want to wrap the trim pieces, once I get in a wrapping shop, I will see if they got something that closely matches the car, and get that for the inside. That I will definitely do myself.

So it's a work in progress still, but work and investment wise, I'd say I'm about 80% done.

1096532091_WhatsAppImage2023-03-17at14_30_18.thumb.jpeg.484054c7b14307cde5018ee70a238462.jpeg

Got pretty much completely stripped, which was apparently quite difficult because a lot of the rubbers are glued to the car, due to it being a convertible.

20230323_161516.thumb.jpg.edc5d907b8c5aab061ecb8925396cc22.jpg

They did primer, white basecoat, 3 layers of yellow, because it's a tough colour to get an even finish. Then 2 layers of clear.

20230402_1431542.thumb.jpg.10d05a5673be46c5a7c3b3648201915b.jpg

20230402_1431432.thumb.jpg.82bf1e7bb8007221893e948004e6714c.jpg

I goes from a bright yellow with a tint of orange, to something much darker depending on the light.

I've driven it twice now, and man I got a lot of attention. What's the great part is that most people tell me they would never get a yellow car, and my colleagues saying they didn't know what to expect, but they all love how it came out, that if you go yellow, this is the one.

This is btw Atacama Gelb/Yellow which was a specialty colour for the BMW Z4 like 10 years ago.

Depending what your interior colors look like there's some really nice and durable wood grain textured vinyl in darker colors that can look amazing when used correctly and really 'class up' the interior.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

It's been a while since I posted this, and wanted to give an update. I finally got it sprayed. I originally wanted it wrapped, but there were a few reasons not to.

The main one was the fact I went with different bumpers + sideskirts, I wanted the M sport ones, and they are almost impossible to get second handed, but there are great replicas for these cars. They however only have primer, and reputable wrappers told me that you don't really want to wrap on that. So if I needed to get it all sprayed, I figured I might as well look into getting it all sprayed, especially since then you get the inside of the doors etc all done as well. Basically unless you start stripping the car or look inside the engine bay, you won't see it's original colour.

Aside from the aforementioned parts, I also added a spoiler, got new side blinkers (smoked LED), gloss black grill and mirror caps. 

I'm gonna get the chrome around my windows wrapped gloss black, painting just wasn't an option, gonna get 18 inch OEM BMW wheels, and paint them gloss black as well, and gonna replace the tips of my exhaust, they just don't look that great anymore. I also got a front spoiler, but that will be placed underneath soon, gonna be fairly simple. It's about accent, I do not want to lower my car, especially not where I live. And yes it will lower it by about 1cm in the middle of the bumper (which is the mostly likely part to get damaged with speedbumps - though I've never had that issue so far with this car)
Inside I do want to wrap the trim pieces, once I get in a wrapping shop, I will see if they got something that closely matches the car, and get that for the inside. That I will definitely do myself.

So it's a work in progress still, but work and investment wise, I'd say I'm about 80% done.

1096532091_WhatsAppImage2023-03-17at14_30_18.thumb.jpeg.484054c7b14307cde5018ee70a238462.jpeg

Got pretty much completely stripped, which was apparently quite difficult because a lot of the rubbers are glued to the car, due to it being a convertible.

20230323_161516.thumb.jpg.edc5d907b8c5aab061ecb8925396cc22.jpg

They did primer, white basecoat, 3 layers of yellow, because it's a tough colour to get an even finish. Then 2 layers of clear.

20230402_1431542.thumb.jpg.10d05a5673be46c5a7c3b3648201915b.jpg

20230402_1431432.thumb.jpg.82bf1e7bb8007221893e948004e6714c.jpg

I goes from a bright yellow with a tint of orange, to something much darker depending on the light.

I've driven it twice now, and man I got a lot of attention. What's the great part is that most people tell me they would never get a yellow car, and my colleagues saying they didn't know what to expect, but they all love how it came out, that if you go yellow, this is the one.

This is btw Atacama Gelb/Yellow which was a specialty colour for the BMW Z4 like 10 years ago.

Not gonna lie .. the color suits the car 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

Depending what your interior colors look like there's some really nice and durable wood grain textured vinyl in darker colors that can look amazing when used correctly and really 'class up' the interior.

Interior is all black. I had wood grain vinyl in an old car of mine, which was ok, but never truly liked it. This car feels a lot more modern, so while the right wood in the car can look great, I'm going with something yellow. There is a yellow carbon look wrap that I might try getting. It's not available where I live, so depending on how a gloss yellow looks, I may or may not get this one.

IMG_3760_1024x1024@2x.thumb.webp.f541205a45f5bedfc82bc46190bd3372.webp

12 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Not gonna lie .. the color suits the car 

I think so as well obviously. I looked through images a lot, and saw some with either atacama yellow or speed yellow from BMW, and they had all black trim pieces as well, and it just looked right.

51 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Interior is all black. I had wood grain vinyl in an old car of mine, which was ok, but never truly liked it. This car feels a lot more modern, so while the right wood in the car can look great, I'm going with something yellow. There is a yellow carbon look wrap that I might try getting. It's not available where I live, so depending on how a gloss yellow looks, I may or may not get this one.

IMG_3760_1024x1024@2x.thumb.webp.f541205a45f5bedfc82bc46190bd3372.webp

I think so as well obviously. I looked through images a lot, and saw some with either atacama yellow or speed yellow from BMW, and they had all black trim pieces as well, and it just looked right.

I was just going to say I bet that would look great if you wrapped the trims in black or got some oem shadowline ones. I just bought a E92 a few days ago for a daily. 

Pete

I'm not a fan of gloss interior but it can look good. If they have that in satin or matte....yes!

On 3/27/2023 at 2:09 PM, Bitter said:

Ford floating grounds anyone? Both A pillars.

JHC, how old is that Ford "product" to be rusted out like that?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

JHC, how old is that Ford "product" to be rusted out like that?

2007 I think

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

2007 I think

Unreal....

rust in a "modern" car is simply unreal...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unreal....

rust in a "modern" car is simply unreal...

Salt belt says hi. Ready for the scrap yard in 5 years.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Hell you can scrap it before your lease is up for a lot of vehicles.

14 hours ago, vetali said:

5? your cars last that long? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 4/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, vetali said:

That maps thing just shows near me, was confused when there were no dealers in Washington/Oregon with Mcgrath lol.

Mine shows Insurance Agents and Surgery Experts within one of the hospital networks. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

20 hours ago, vetali said:

Good thing I get thru half a fleet of cars over that same time period 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Think my car just needs a completely new wiring harness. It has decided that it's going to refuse to start again...unless I get a jumper cable and bridge the battery's earth to the engine mount. Then when it has started, the battery only reads 11.9V (and sits at 12.6V engine off, the alternator is definitely still works). 

Guess the two jerryrigged 4 gauge earths (one to starter, one to engine mount) is just not enough to "supplement" the (corroded to hell) 2 gauge 😕 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just run new grounds to the trans, engine, and body. Should be fine.

Both of these pictures are the same cloth seats in the front of this car I've been working on. They're both cloth.

20230410_102225.jpg

20230410_102218.jpg

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Both of these pictures are the same cloth seats in the front of this car I've been working on. They're both cloth.

20230410_102225.jpg

20230410_102218.jpg

Hazmat suit required ....

Pete

Lets see if i put the bike down with the correct fuel in the tank or im looking forward to an injector cleaning......

(Here regular 95 octane sadly has a mandatory percent of ethanol in it which can and will make a mess over time, i have to buy the more expensive 100 octane fuel that uses something to replace that cancer which doesnt have the same nasty properties...)

Who knows what lurks inside the hearts of neglected engines.....the borescop knows!

Photo_20230417144107.jpg

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

Who knows what lurks inside the hearts of neglected engines.....the borescop knows!

Spoiler

Photo_20230417144107.jpg

What the hell is that? :old-woah: