Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yeah that's some migratin' copper ions right there I tell you what. I've seen stuff like that bridge circuits plenty of times. You're gonna need to clean up all of that, get it dry, pack everything with di-electric grease, and keep your fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062Y599K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these are what I use at work.

Yeah I don’t have anything that small… 

what I did didn’t solve my issue; but maybe I need to get those to clean it better:

also had a hard time with the base of the male side of the connector, just couldn’t quite get a brush all the way down there 

88438D54-EDF9-4F89-B8CC-E8613586708D.jpeg

E2A9896C-B5DE-443F-8894-5A7D5B8391DB.jpeg

i actually did this to every single plug in that box even though I have no other issues. They all had some corrosion or something one way or another. 

also made sure those seals were seated correctly… it’s supposed to rain tomorrow

im like so paranoid now I kinda want to cover that whole fuse box in a plastic bag xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah I don’t have anything that small… 

what I did didn’t solve my issue; but maybe I need to get those to clean it better:

also had a hard time with the base of the male side of the connector, just couldn’t quite get a brush all the way down there 

88438D54-EDF9-4F89-B8CC-E8613586708D.jpeg

E2A9896C-B5DE-443F-8894-5A7D5B8391DB.jpeg

Buy that set of tools I linked, or if there's a cheaper version of them. They're diamond abrasive coated so you can pinch and scrub terminals and then insert into connectors to scrub the female side. As far as cleaning in the socket you'll probably need some battery cleaner, then some contact cleaner, then some shop air to blow it all out. You may need some cotton swabs to get in there? You might be making a visit to the junkyard to pull a wire harness and fuse block at some point...

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Buy that set of tools I linked, or if there's a cheaper version of them. They're diamond abrasive coated so you can pinch and scrub terminals and then insert into connectors to scrub the female side. As far as cleaning in the socket you'll probably need some battery cleaner, then some contact cleaner, then some shop air to blow it all out. You may need some cotton swabs to get in there? You might be making a visit to the junkyard to pull a wire harness and fuse block at some point...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295355351394

at least this exists.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Take a look at the rest of the connectors for damage, that's not a very expensive part thankfully and hopefully in better shape. I wouldn't be surprised to find you've got worse rot on the bottom side of those connectors where you haven't looked yet.

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yeah that's some migratin' copper ions right there I tell you what. I've seen stuff like that bridge circuits plenty of times. You're gonna need to clean up all of that, get it dry, pack everything with di-electric grease, and keep your fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062Y599K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these are what I use at work.

Thanks for the heads up on that tool, I do quite a bit off jetski work unpaid mostly lol and that looks like it will come in very handy.

Pete

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

Thanks for the heads up on that tool, I do quite a bit off jetski work unpaid mostly lol and that looks like it will come in very handy.

They have a whole line of cleaners like that for different types of terminals. I LOVE their diamond cutoff/grinding discs!

https://ipatools.com/

Nothing crazy, but I finally threw this Pioneer headunit in the Explorer. had this thing 9 years at this point 

Can't beat it for the price, definitely got my money outta it 

PXL_20230108_201514919.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

M140i will be going soon. With s second little one on the way it's time to up-size. Currently leaning towards an M340i touring. 

Moody train station and relatively clean car 

PXL-20230109-073939167-2.jpg

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

Need to replace discs before MOT (annual inspection), have gone with 2-piece to save money. These discs are big!

For reference, my hands fit L size gloves.

20230109_153145.thumb.jpg.826d39ebb0cee0f56e5c3861afb5fd03.jpg

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

On 1/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, bcredeur97 said:

I'ma go buy a 4runner with 400k miles

https://www.autotempest.com/details/vast-2788705806563927035 

Wowee! Gotta say, I had a 2000 RAV4 that my dad did regular repairs on for me for a couple of years. Made it to 210k before becoming crippled in New England weather. 400k sounds pretty steep to me, but at least you can have more trust in those Texas roads. 

Besides that speed hole on the drivers seat it looks pretty mint! Free Pioneer too! I had a JVC in that RAV4, it was awesome. USB port + MagSafe car mount for my iPhone gave me way more power than any of those awful compulsory head units in cars from the 2010s. 

Let me know how it goes!

4 hours ago, MicrowaveGaming said:

Wowee! Gotta say, I had a 2000 RAV4 that my dad did regular repairs on for me for a couple of years. Made it to 210k before becoming crippled in New England weather. 400k sounds pretty steep to me, but at least you can have more trust in those Texas roads. 

Besides that speed hole on the drivers seat it looks pretty mint! Free Pioneer too! I had a JVC in that RAV4, it was awesome. USB port + MagSafe car mount for my iPhone gave me way more power than any of those awful compulsory head units in cars from the 2010s. 

Let me know how it goes!

I was actually joking, I'm so sorry if I got you excited. Forgot the /s 

My touareg is broken so that's why I was joking about buying that haha

Though that said, that car is actually pretty clean for 400k. A lot better than I would expect

Spoiler

The 30,000 mile 1964 JetStar has finally been started, we were waiting on the title. Needed a coil and some points, carb looks pretty boned so we ran it off brake cleaner (our stuff is heptane I think) for a couple minutes to make sure it was hitting on all 8 cylinders and despite the poor fueling it ran pretty good, fairly smooth. Blew a whole lot of rust and carbon from the tailpipe and smoked pretty bad but cleared up. Should be nice to see this thing actually run with a good carb on it!

are motocross bikes in the motor bike class?

i have a 2004 RM 125

ja its the bike travis panstrana won on!

12 minutes ago, Scorpion_3381 said:

are motocross bikes in the motor bike class?

i have a 2004 RM 125

ja its the bike travis panstrana won on!

Close enough for me lol. I don't do less than 4 wheels personally but I like anything with wheels.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Close enough for me lol. I don't do less than 4 wheels personally but I like anything with wheels.

I was stuck in traffic today on a 3 lane highway and got passed by a big-bearded man on a bicycle with a 2 stroke attached to it on the shoulder.

it seems so much weirder now that I put it in text.

Spoiler

I've been fighting the new truck urge. My daily driver is a 2016 F150 that I've had since 2018. Just hit 60,000 miles (100k KM) this summer. My work rotations are great for keeping vehicles low mileage. Needs a new drivers side CV axle and a windshield. Could use all new fluids too just to give it a "fresh start." 

Then I started thinking about lift, tires and exhaust. About twice a winter we get enough snow that when my plow guy comes I get high centered on snow in my driveway and have to be drug out. I could have it on 35s for less than what I'd put as a down payment on a newer truck. Since a truck is necessary for me, and I wouldn't want to go smaller than the 150(with a Ranger or a Maverick) that puts me into trucks the same size or bigger. Diesel makes sense, if nothing else for more bed space, towing and fuel mileage. However when I sat down and did the math, my 05 Duramax would have only saved about $200 in fuel costs since I got the 150. 

I did get the go ahead from the old lady to do it too. She's more on the fence about exhaust, and I am too so that's not a "do with everything else" part. Plus I'd just end up swapping it myself. So that puts me doing it in spring or summer when my shop isn't frozen. 

All because I need new tires. I did a really good job at keeping this truck stock. Only added a 10" sub to it after I got it then told myself I'd keep it bone stock. Payments are basically done and could be ended at any time so it would be nice to have no car payment as well.

Spoiler

IMG_20181220_121844.jpg

image.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

@IkeaGnome Thanks for reminding me I need to work on my truck's front end stuff once it's warmer.... Or at least warm and dry enough to do it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

30 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

@IkeaGnome Thanks for reminding me I need to work on my truck's front end stuff once it's warmer.... Or at least warm and dry enough to do it.

That's what I'm waiting for. Warm. I've got a 32x42 detached shop that I just can't keep warm enough in the winter to work. I need to build the bed on my Toyota and replace some syncros in the front transfer case. Shop has a wood stove, but it's not quite enough for a high ceiling shop of that size. In winter when I have to work in there, it's common to have the wood stove going and a diesel torpedo heater. I can't be asked to also mix in fumes from welding with that mix.  

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

-snip-

Hey look, my co-worker/trainee/apprentice. Cool.

Hey that's awesome! He's very skilled 🙂

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Hey that's awesome! He's very skilled 🙂

Yeah, smart guy and a good learner. I'm 'plaster guy' lol😅

So I was considering getting a motorcycle but considered some scooters since they might be more comfortable in the seating position.
Talking to an experienced mechanic, in the car world, Honda and Toyota are like the 2 most reliable/long lasting brands. Both are Japanese.

However, when it comes to motorcycles, I have very little idea.
I was researching and to my knowledge the big 3 japanese brands are Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. All 3 are supposedly the most reliable brands according to several youtubers.

What do you think about the Japanese motorcycle and scooter manufacturers? Am I sleeping on some companies that match or exceed in reliability?

Doing some light shopping, I came across the Yamaha Zuma 125.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/2022/zuma-125

There's a 2022 and 2023 on the website. Both seem very similar. (Which is good imo.)

There's a few videos on youtube, but I was curious to get more "community" words on the subject. I doubt half of you have even seen one of these lol.

I don't care for going fast. I just like the low gas usage and ability to more or less keep up with traffic.

I think the Zuma looks pretty schnazzy, but I could basically care less haha. It's a tool that's function should outweigh any form.

I intend to do all of the maintenance myself and figured a motorcycle or moped would be easier to work on than a car because I don't own a lift. Plus I think it's easy to find a mechanic that will do the job just fine, but to find someone who will pay all the appropriate attentions and do a 110% job... I think that's very hard to come across. Especially these days.

EDIT:
If I'm not mistaken... scooters don't shift like a motorcycle so it will be very easy to drive and not worry about. IE they're automatic if they have multiple gears.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

So I was considering getting a motorcycle but considered some scooters since they might be more comfortable in the seating position.
Talking to an experienced mechanic, in the car world, Honda and Toyota are like the 2 most reliable/long lasting brands. Both are Japanese.

However, when it comes to motorcycles, I have very little idea.
I was researching and to my knowledge the big 3 japanese brands are Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. All 3 are supposedly the most reliable brands according to several youtubers.

What do you think about the Japanese motorcycle and scooter manufacturers? Am I sleeping on some companies that match or exceed in reliability?

Doing some light shopping, I came across the Yamaha Zuma 125.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/2022/zuma-125

There's a 2022 and 2023 on the website. Both seem very similar. (Which is good imo.)

There's a few videos on youtube, but I was curious to get more "community" words on the subject. I doubt half of you have even seen one of these lol.

I don't care for going fast. I just like the low gas usage and ability to more or less keep up with traffic.

I think the Zuma looks pretty schnazzy, but I could basically care less haha. It's a tool that's function should outweigh any form.

I intend to do all of the maintenance myself and figured a motorcycle or moped would be easier to work on than a car because I don't own a lift. Plus I think it's easy to find a mechanic that will do the job just fine, but to find someone who will pay all the appropriate attentions and do a 110% job... I think that's very hard to come across. Especially these days.

EDIT:
If I'm not mistaken... scooters don't shift like a motorcycle so it will be very easy to drive and not worry about. IE they're automatic if they have multiple gears.

Hey, I'm a motorcyclist myself. Currently own a 2004 Yamaha fz6 fazer. I'm not an expert but I'll try to help as best as I can. 

Yeah so for the most part bike wise there are 4 big Japanese brands - Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki, they are usually the ones to go for reliability wise. 

But if you are looking for 125ish cc or smaller then they are more or less China or India made bikes no matter the brand and reliability can suffer as well. 

Scooters usually don't require any shifting mainly cause of a cvt transmission, but there are also bikes with dct transmissions and also some with cvt that also don't require shifting. (Honda has like 3x bikes with dct currently if I'm not wrong). 

Scooters for the most part feel like sitting on a comfy chair when even the most upright bikes can feel weird or uncomfortable to some. There are cruiser style bikes that also lean you backwards so you need to explore the styles to see what fits you by going to dealers and sitting on the bikes or even just ask the staff what they would recommend for you, as for the most part they ride themselves and in my experience want to help new riders. 

And basically comes down to what kind of speeds and riding you want to do and your budget...

If you also want it to be a fun toy I'd recommend a bike (not that scooters can't be fun just bikes tend to be more universal in that aspect ) ... Kawasaki ninja 400 or Honda cbr500r comes to mind... 

If you need just around town and nothing for highway speeds a 125 scooter like the yamaha will do just fine and the fuel economy will be great ... (or if you want cheapest most fuel efficient motorised mode of transport) 

If you want commuting but may need highway speeds I'd recommend a larger cc scooter like the Suzuki burgman 400 so you are not revving the nuts out of a 125 to keep up with traffic (though burgman scooter fanbase can be a tad overprotective at times). 

Hope this helped! 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

After all day of trying to figure out how to disassemble the fuse box of which I have 0 instructions for(FSM does not cover it at all). I gave up. I Fixed the fan on the Touareg. Not proud of what I did to do it. 

but it’s nothing that isn’t un-doable. 

sorry next owner in advance. 

if it weren’t for the person who didn’t seal that fuse box gosh darn it would be fine 

no pictures. Sorry. Too embarrassed. Maybe after i get rid of it 

Spoiler