Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, vetali said:

Sounds like its not.

Unless you had your  AC checked by a tech i wouldnt be so sure, we also have brutal hot summers but not once did it cause the AC in my car to not work....

17 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Unless you had your  AC checked by a tech i wouldnt be so sure, we also have brutal hot summers but not once did it cause the AC in my car to not work....

I'll schedule an appointment with myself.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 hour ago, vetali said:

But thats illegal

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, vetali said:

What the fuck do you know about cars? I bet you drive at 4000RPM, and that causes premature wear to your engine, I'll have you know.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

What the fuck do you know about cars? I bet you drive at 4000RPM, and that causes premature wear to your engine, I'll have you know.

Hey have you gotten your engine rebuilt yet?

4 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

the pistons only go halfway up at that rpm so in theory it should last twice as long you should know this having blown up 2 engines

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

the pistons only go halfway up at that rpm so in theory it should last twice as long you should know this having blown up 2 engines

He replaces his piston return springs every year so he’s good. Engine barely does any work 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

He replaces his piston return springs every year so he’s good. Engine barely does any work 

i prefer to just change the fluid every time i drive the car past 12mph, takes a while to get to work some days if the traffic is real bad

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hey have you gotten your engine rebuilt yet?

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

you should know this having blown up 2 engines

house-party-belt.gif

Can't even side with me for 2 seconds smfh

Rebuild shop still hasn't done jack shit to the block so here we are...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

house-party-belt.gif

Can't even side with me for 2 seconds smfh

Rebuild shop still hasn't done jack shit to the block so here we are...

smh my head

Just got a new hood on my car, might as well share a pic of it

PXL_20220605_002210552.thumb.jpg.cb2e637a237428b8cc3fbfac9a0fc267.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

So, the low beams on the 2016 HR-V are atrocious. My blinkers are brighter. I cannot see anything, thank God I live in a relatively well lit area. Why? Because Honda thought it was a good idea to have the same bulb be the running lights, the low beams, and the high beams. And be an incandescent bulb. My 2005 F-150 had brighter low beams than the Honda has high beams. My mother's 2012 Mazda 3 has LED projection lamps essentially, that swivel with your steering wheel so your headlights point where you are going, not where your car is now.

image.png.19fcbfaba33930e0c7a045837ae431cf.png

My father's 2013 Toyota Highlander (when it had incandescent bulbs) was passible. You could actually see the light produced from the headlights when it was pitch dark outside.

image.png.b9fce188da2cb15374334b2bf4ddca6e.png

What happened to Honda?

image.png.04ba88529f75c4df18cdbc00607dce62.png

This is in 2016!! Both major competitors have had better headlights for 3 years at this point!

If you look at reliability charts, they have dropped to roughly 6th place, with Toyota and Mazda in first and second. The thing that makes Toyota so great, is the attention to detail, the overbuilt engines and bodies, and the genuine care for the quality of their products. As far as I am aware, Honda was the same, and their vehicles do still last a long while, but 300,000 miles is 1/2 of 600,000 miles, and the 2002 Honda Civic that came into the shop while I was an intern had its timing belt break because the owner didn't have it replaced, and it was an interference engine. The CVT in my Honda has at most 300,000 miles. I'm at 130,000. I have roughly half of the life of my vehicle left. I appreciate the massive fuel savings I get from it, I appreciate the reduced complexity compared to a traditional transmission with 10 speeds (to approximate the technically infinite number of gear ratios a CVT can produce). And yeah, it's kinda fun. It makes my anaemic 140hp and 130 ft-lbs of torque feel like a lot more (at low speeds). But is that worth the reduced lifespan? Are the environmental savings caused by having said fuel efficiency capable of offsetting sending that car to the junkyard at only half of the miles older cars could achieve? Are the cost savings worth the cost of a replacement transmission when it fails? 

I am not experienced enough to answer these questions, and the first part of this is mostly speculation from I made from the information I have, but interaction with these ideas would be instrumental in my growth as a "car guy".

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

man only once a year? ... they need to be replaced once a month for the proper longevity

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

So, the low beams on the 2016 HR-V are atrocious.

Shoulda stepped up to a touring then.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Shoulda stepped up to a touring then.

My dad's 2013 Toyota Highlander has the cheapest trim level. His headlights were much better (when they were incandescents)

The headlights on the Mazda 3 were standard for all trim levels. 

Still sounds like a Honda issue to me.

Also, Honda's trim levels were LX EX and EX-L, none of those are anything close to "touring". (I have the LX, which is the cheapest trim level, but so is Limited for toyota, and again, they had much better headlights standard for all trim levels)

On 6/2/2022 at 8:33 AM, BrandonT.05 said:

Question to those of you from the US, and more specifically Michigan. 

I am finding very mixed results on this topic so I wanted some clarification. I am not 18 and have a level 2 GDL (Graduated Drivers License). Can I still pull a trailer if I'm not 18? I see a lot of stuff about laws for class R endorsements and CDL's but not anthing about driving with a smaller trailer as a minor. 

If any of y'all know it'd be very much appreciated cause I just wanna pull my boat trailer and don't know if I can do so legally. 

A bit late to the party, but I will say, I've never had an issue with anything I've pulled in either Michigan or Indiana (Live right on the stateline)

As far as my understanding is, as long as you've got your license, not a permit, anything a 19 year old can haul, a 16 year old oughtta be able to haul

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

8 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

My dad's 2013 Toyota Highlander has the cheapest trim level. His headlights were much better (when they were incandescents)

The headlights on the Mazda 3 were standard for all trim levels. 

Still sounds like a Honda issue to me.

Also, Honda's trim levels were LX EX and EX-L, none of those are anything close to "touring". (I have the LX, which is the cheapest trim level, but so is Limited for toyota, and again, they had much better headlights standard for all trim levels)

Again, if you cared about headlights you should've got a touring.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/hr-v-4-door-suv/2021#headlights

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Again, if you cared about headlights you should've got a touring.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/hr-v-4-door-suv/2021#headlights

Bruh that's the 2021.

image.thumb.png.b0f30b900f6a71ef4e014de4c206277a.png

Really thought you did something there. And if I really cared, I would have got the car I got anyways (BTW, the car I got is a 2016 Honda HR-V), because it's the only decent price I've seen for a reliable safe vehicle.

11 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Bruh that's the 2021.

image.thumb.png.b0f30b900f6a71ef4e014de4c206277a.png

Really thought you did something there. And if I really cared, I would have got the car I got anyways (BTW, the car I got is a 2016 Honda HR-V), because it's the only decent price I've seen for a reliable safe vehicle.

Alright, I will paint it pretty simple for you because my sarcasm and lack of empathy for your poor purchasing decisions aren't translating well over text. Just slap some HIDs in there and call it good. Then when I see you oncoming I'll just flash you with my OEM LED headlights and permanently burn your retinas because I actually researched before purchasing unlike you.

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

Then when I see you oncoming I'll just flash you with my OEM LED headlights and permanently burn your retinas because I actually researched before purchasing unlike you.

Dude, I'm freaking 17. I needed a vehicle to maintain my job. I was under a rush, first off, second, I cannot take out a loan, nore do I make enough for a $21K+ vehicle. The vehicle I purchased was $12K, and even then, It's gonna take me 5 years to pay it off. Find me a used vehicle within a 3 hours drive of Carmel, IN that I could purchase immediately (before said deal gets snatched up by faster customers, which has happened to me before) that is the same or better deal. That means = to or less than 130K miles, 2016 or newer, perfect maintenance record, no crashes (other than minor cosmetic damage) reported, reliable, fuel efficient (27 or more MPG), small SUV or larger, AWD, for equal to or less than the price of mine. I cannot "step up" to a Touring. Nor would that be worth the money. The headlights are a minor thing, but it is clear that Honda is losing their touch. If somehow the other two of their main competitors, Toyota and Mazda, were capable of putting much better lights in equivalently priced vehicles, AND Honda didn't respond for at least 3 years, then it's Honda's fault. Not mine.

Are you even aware that the prices of cars, especially cars with 30MPG+, are up 30% or more? I can't afford to lose $5k when the market crashes, let alone the 10% or more you lose by simply driving it off the lot. image.thumb.png.33c7e5d543e4b8c9d315b1c6225c5f62.png

This is the headlight rating for the 2016 HR-V. Notice the bright red that, I'm assuming you know this, but in case you don't, stands for "poor".

49 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Dude, I'm freaking 17. I needed a vehicle to maintain my job. I was under a rush, first off, second, I cannot take out a loan, nore do I make enough for a $21K+ vehicle. The vehicle I purchased was $12K, and even then, It's gonna take me 5 years to pay it off. Find me a used vehicle within a 3 hours drive of Carmel, IN that I could purchase immediately (before said deal gets snatched up by faster customers, which has happened to me before) that is the same or better deal. That means = to or less than 130K miles, 2016 or newer, perfect maintenance record, no crashes (other than minor cosmetic damage) reported, reliable, fuel efficient (27 or more MPG), small SUV or larger, AWD, for equal to or less than the price of mine. I cannot "step up" to a Touring. Nor would that be worth the money. The headlights are a minor thing, but it is clear that Honda is losing their touch. If somehow the other two of their main competitors, Toyota and Mazda, were capable of putting much better lights in equivalently priced vehicles, AND Honda didn't respond for at least 3 years, then it's Honda's fault. Not mine.

Are you even aware that the prices of cars, especially cars with 30MPG+, are up 30% or more? I can't afford to lose $5k when the market crashes, let alone the 10% or more you lose by simply driving it off the lot. image.thumb.png.33c7e5d543e4b8c9d315b1c6225c5f62.png

This is the headlight rating for the 2016 HR-V. Notice the bright red that, I'm assuming you know this, but in case you don't, stands for "poor".

Bruh I just keep it simple.

if your poor or need to save a bunch of money you buy a cheap beater under $6k and call it a day. In a lot of cases if it’s made it 15 years, it can make it a few more. You’ll have to be tolerant/accepting of minor broken things though, you’re in money saving mode.

if you’re well off then just get whatever makes you happy that you can reasonably afford.

if you’re somewhere in between then you’re somewhere in between.

it does make sense in a lot of cases to buy something that has already gone through most of its depreciation tho, especially if you like German cars in the US. 

Remember that no matter what you drive it’s costing you money. So hopefully you use the car to make money (which if you have a job, is true)

also no car is perfect they all have their downsides in some shape or form, in your HR-V’s case that seems to at least be the headlights 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

29 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Snip snap

Basically my plan for the exploder, throw a lil light bar down there for back country roads and call it good

hqdefault (1).jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

33 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Shhhhh. No need to mention that mistake. I loved that thing, it had character. This Honda... feels almost clinical in comparison. Obviously no big deal, and I don't want to complain about the drive feel, just stating how each vehicle felt to drive.

39 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

buy a cheap beater under $6k and call it a day.

That... may or may not have been what I did. Turns out the repairs totalled more than it was worth, surprisingly, it wasn't the spark plugs, it was the exhaust manifold. The studs broke off in the engine ( I knew it was gonna happen, so it wasn't the mechanic's fault), repairs were estimated to be $3k, on top of the $2k in repairs I already did (lower control arms replaced, new alternator, other things that I forget). I would have run it for ages, but sadly my parents, specifically my mom, said that I would die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning while going 60 on a highway, which is illogical. I told her so, but to her, this repair was necessary. I didn't think so, but mother knows best, and she's the one with the good credit score that is eligible for a loan. That old thing had character, and while the improvements are nice, I'm gonna miss Louis (King of the Blues, Louis Armstrong lol, it was blue). It cost way more to run, especially given the maybe 10mpg I got while driving according to that hypermiling forum (and staying safe, I'm not stupid, over inflating your tires to 55PSI is the dumbest shiz I have seen). I get an average of 45mpg+ on the Honda, so it will pay for itself. It also has a warranty because it was Certified Used, not a super good one, but for a used car? I'll take anything. Plus, you can't forget the autonomy I get when my parents trust the vehicle to protect me when someone else wrecks into me, and are happy with the decision. I can go just about anywhere now. No snogging, but that's because I'm autistic and miss every advance I do get. So no curfew either lol. 

39 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

also no car is perfect they all have their downsides in some shape or form, in your HR-V’s case that seems to at least be the headlights 

It's just... Shockingly bad. image.thumb.jpeg.6f965621b0974c4bf859f32d002b57d1.jpeg

I balanced that to what my eyes see, my camera obviously is going to adjust to make it as bright as possible. It's a tad bit darker, but not by much. It's also blurrier, because of compression and the super low light levels making the exposure suuuper long, long enough to blur because of my pretty shaky hands.

I do like that it is an easily solvable problem, and that it is the only problem, except for detailers removing the sticker that says when to get your next oil change, so I don't know when to do it. I was just so shocked when I genuinely couldn't tell if they were on or not, or if they were burnt out.