Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Hopefully they spontaneously combust from not being able to be obnoxious af

To be fair the so called "pop"s' are a pretty normal thing for engines, well unless you start applying some dumb stuff like cutting fuel to the engine and overly restrictive exhaust. For example here is my previous bike (factory original minus the exhaust) after it got the open exhaust(road legal OFC):

Even my stock ass Celica does a lil burble sometimes if you go from WOT to closed throttle at high RPM, usually if you just are about to touch fuel cut or upshift without lifting right at fuel cut. I think the ECM might pull timing for the shift to soften it on the trans, I never looked into it much but that's pretty normal.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

More CAN'TBUS shenanigans.

At first glance it seemed like the wires got rubbed off, but after enlarging im not sure. Looks like a combination of  some sort of cut and exposed to physical stress.....

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

At first glance it seemed like the wires got rubbed off, but after enlarging im not sure. Looks like a combination of  some sort of cut and exposed to physical stress.....

Copper got work hardened at the single point of flex then snapped.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

More CAN'TBUS shenanigans.

Looks to me like the door is easier to open and close now /s

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Looks to me like the door is easier to open and close now /s

I told the boss I'd drive it around like a Jeep.

Thoughts for the moment:

-I'd love to see a car brand change up their exteriors every year (like how it was done in the 1960's).  I don't care if you keep the interior the same for 10+ years.  Keep the sheet metal skeleton the same, and change up stuff like the headlights, bumpers, fenders, skirts, etc.

-Polaris needs to bring back the Victory brand as all electric.  Victory may be superfluous with Indian in the stable, but they don't have an EV brand--and that's a solid use for a much beloved, much maligned brand; and they badly need to be competing in this segment.

Houston, we’ve reached rocky landscapes 

15F10640-797B-4D60-9E17-866B2733BADA.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, IPD said:

-I'd love to see a car brand change up their exteriors every year (like how it was done in the 1960's).  I don't care if you keep the interior the same for 10+ years.  Keep the sheet metal skeleton the same, and change up stuff like the headlights, bumpers, fenders, skirts, etc.

Good luck with that

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

34 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Good luck with that

I know.  Toyota thinks they should just keep the same, boring shit going for 20 years.  And amazingly, people are still lining up to buy it.  madness.

47 minutes ago, IPD said:

I know.  Toyota thinks they should just keep the same, boring shit going for 20 years.  And amazingly, people are still lining up to buy it.  madness.

Yeah the r&d cost and risk (what if it’s hated?) associated with redesigns means they won’t happen too often. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

38 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah the r&d cost and risk (what if it’s hated?) associated with redesigns means they won’t happen too often. 

True.  But I wasn't talking about skeletal sheet metal.  I was talking about things like bumpers and headlights.  And that's the kind of stuff that gets changed up easily with captive imports and badge engineering--in order to save costs. 

28 minutes ago, IPD said:

in order to save costs. 

You know the most cost saving measure on large scale production would be to.. not change things that don't need to be changed?

It felt like the Camaro got some sort of refresh every year, but I don't think it was good. The Camaro's design kinda sucked and the only way for them to have maintained any kind of excitement around that car was to refresh it.

It would be cool to see frequent updates but at this point it's just wasteful, both economically and environmentally. Like FSX said, if a car is designed well then it shouldn't really need changes anyway. But with the advent of electric cars and more modular car design, we probably will see more "updates", especially through third-party developers.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You know the most cost saving measure on large scale production would be to.. not change things that don't need to be changed?

Then why ever refresh a car at all?  Why not sell the exact same 911 as was sold in 1969?

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

Then why ever refresh a car at all?  Why not sell the exact same 911 as was sold in 1969?

Because things did need changing

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

38 minutes ago, IPD said:

People would eat that up if it was a 69 Porsche looking body with modern power train abs chassis.

36 minutes ago, Bitter said:

People would eat that up if it was a 69 Porsche looking body with modern power train abs chassis.

Well I always did feel that Porsche fans have no accounting for aesthetic taste....

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Because things did need changing

Sure.  So why change things that DON'T need changing?  Like fiddling with infotainment?  Or moving button locations?  All of the chintzy shit that screams "we're changing things for the sake of changing them"--rather than out of necessity?

16 minutes ago, IPD said:

Sure.  So why change things that DON'T need changing?  Like fiddling with infotainment?  Or moving button locations?  All of the chintzy shit that screams "we're changing things for the sake of changing them"--rather than out of necessity?

Because thats what the market wanted? Brands dont just do stuff for the fun of it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 6/7/2022 at 5:14 PM, bcredeur97 said:

What’s better? That or a Chevy bolt 

For that specifically? Leaf. It is a really underrated chassis, and even stock, handles very well for what it is. The Bolt is noticeably worse for handling and chassis rigidity.

Carving forest backroads with a stock 2018 Leaf during my trip to Oregon:

As a car/an EV though? Definitely the Bolt, considering it's significantly better range and active cooling for the battery. The defective batteries have been recalled and are getting replaced, so ones that have been won't just blow up. 

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Aerodynamics and safety design takes precedent over vehicle design. Actual styling comes second with influence from what people will find attractive at the time of release.