Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

14 hours ago, The_russian said:

Because I don’t want to die when someone is texting while driving and swerves into me.

that can still happen with a car btw 😂
just need a very unlucky situation

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

10 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

or just drive a miata and be next to some guy in a lifted truck

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Oh yeah it can still happen, but it’s a lot more unlikely for several reasons including being easier to see in a bigger car and having more protection. Knowing the idiots in my town and my luck, I just know it’s going to end badly if I start riding.

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Last day of my current job. Feels weird 

Does this mean we can no longer harass you for bottles of hot sauce?

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Does this mean we can no longer harass you for bottles of hot sauce?

Yes, sorry 😐 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

or just drive a miata and be next to some guy in a lifted truck

Read on reddit about some guy that was/is an EMT and responded to a low speed (I think it was 25mph) rear end accident. Dudes laptop went flying and somehow hit him in the back of the neck and severed his brain stem. Laptop straight up BSOD'd the dude.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Read on reddit about some guy that was/is an EMT and responded to a low speed (I think it was 25mph) rear end accident. Dudes laptop went flying and somehow hit him in the back of the neck and severed his brain stem. Laptop straight up BSOD'd the dude.

Holy crap of all the ways you can die 

yep, don’t keep loose items in your car. Put everything in its place 

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

My sub is held by 1200lb threaded inserts, 3 them.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah it weirds me out when I am hauling stuff, but I figure if thats the way I'm gonna go then so be it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yes, sorry 😐 

I'm very disappointed.

12 hours ago, vetali said:

Seen that in an accident before, it's fucking gnarly what loose things can do. I always put stuff in containers / away.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm very disappointed.

Seen that in an accident before, it's fucking gnarly what loose things can do. I always put stuff in containers / away.

At least I can buy more sauce now than I could before 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

We expect shipments within 6-12 work days.

Its 2021.

Its on back order.

Had a Ford 500 in with an alternator charging at 18.7 volts. That's nuts!

51 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Had a Ford 500 in with an alternator charging at 18.7 volts. That's nuts!

Did it fry anything? My record is like 16.something volts.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, vetali said:

Most independent shops have access to TSBs.

TSBs do not inform about everything that may or may not need attention. Back then a shop without the right equipment would have to pay the dealer to send someone to flash the car. I don't miss that BS just to get a Master Power Window Switch to function correctly.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

53 minutes ago, vetali said:

Did it fry anything? My record is like 16.something volts.

Nah, it's an 07 that was in about 3 weeks ago from a shop around the corner. She came in to them with a battery light on, they replaced the alternator, battery light came back on a few days later, warrantied the alternator, a few days after that she showed up at us as a referral from one of our long time customers. All I had was an alternator barely charging, battery light on after the car was running a few minutes, and a P0622. Did all the testing from Ford for the code, seems like a bad alternator, last step is to plug it back in and see if the problem and code are still present...they're not. It's magically working fine now. Drive the crap out of it twice. 3 weeks go by, she shows up saying batt light came on and the whole dash shut off. It's still warm, I fire it up and confirm this. Later it's cooled off, it's normal until it starts to warm up and volts start creeping. Ended up at 18.7 volts in data while we were running it looking at things. I still had the testing I printed out, I'm in the habit of keeping it handy and writing down my work flow as I work through it so I can easily tell what's different if something comes back. Boss and I went through it real quick together, this time it ends in replace alternator. Through the course of testing and plugging and unplugging and plugging it's back to barely charging. Next morning I had to recharge the battery, we talk to the original shop and customer, they're gonna run with our suggesting to put in a Ford alternator since there's a superseded part number for it (and about 5 different 120A alts for it) so that when it ends up at the dealer the first thing they'll want to do is throw in their own Motorcraft alt well it'll be a step ahead and already have their alternator in it. I'm betting it ends up being a bum computer and that this last alt is actually bad because it was still overcharging with the 3 wire connector unplugged, it was self energizing like something inside was shorted.

If it ends up at Ford and Ford wants to bitch about putting an alternator in it then the customer gets to shove the invoice in their face showing them it's already got their alternator in it and they'd better warranty their own bad part. Ooo we got to do that once with the CJD dealer! Had a crap ass Jeep Compass from another of our very good long term customers, went for a flash update after getting a new trans and then wouldn't start. Service called and said 'there's no drivers left in the trans, they're all burned up and it killed the computer' We told them 'sucks for you, it's your trans we just put in that killed that computer and funny cause we already did the quick learn and drove it 10 miles to you' Ended up sitting there for a month, turns out Chrysler had released bad software that bricked the PCM when they flashed it and tried to learn the key to the PCM for theft. The service manager and my boss got into it pretty bad over the phone, guy was a total dick to us and my boss told him off, didn't know my boss used to work for the dealer before they changed names and moved down the road so he knew all the old timers over there. A bit of a ruckus, we still joke about it. I remember over hearing 'yeah well I'll call you an asshole' and I was like 'oh damn, shit just got real'.  /rant

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nah, it's an 07 that was in about 3 weeks ago from a shop around the corner. She came in to them with a battery light on, they replaced the alternator, battery light came back on a few days later, warrantied the alternator, a few days after that she showed up at us as a referral from one of our long time customers. All I had was an alternator barely charging, battery light on after the car was running a few minutes, and a P0622. Did all the testing from Ford for the code, seems like a bad alternator, last step is to plug it back in and see if the problem and code are still present...they're not. It's magically working fine now. Drive the crap out of it twice. 3 weeks go by, she shows up saying batt light came on and the whole dash shut off. It's still warm, I fire it up and confirm this. Later it's cooled off, it's normal until it starts to warm up and volts start creeping. Ended up at 18.7 volts in data while we were running it looking at things. I still had the testing I printed out, I'm in the habit of keeping it handy and writing down my work flow as I work through it so I can easily tell what's different if something comes back. Boss and I went through it real quick together, this time it ends in replace alternator. Through the course of testing and plugging and unplugging and plugging it's back to barely charging. Next morning I had to recharge the battery, we talk to the original shop and customer, they're gonna run with our suggesting to put in a Ford alternator since there's a superseded part number for it (and about 5 different 120A alts for it) so that when it ends up at the dealer the first thing they'll want to do is throw in their own Motorcraft alt well it'll be a step ahead and already have their alternator in it. I'm betting it ends up being a bum computer and that this last alt is actually bad because it was still overcharging with the 3 wire connector unplugged, it was self energizing like something inside was shorted.

If it ends up at Ford and Ford wants to bitch about putting an alternator in it then the customer gets to shove the invoice in their face showing them it's already got their alternator in it and they'd better warranty their own bad part. Ooo we got to do that once with the CJD dealer! Had a crap ass Jeep Compass from another of our very good long term customers, went for a flash update after getting a new trans and then wouldn't start. Service called and said 'there's no drivers left in the trans, they're all burned up and it killed the computer' We told them 'sucks for you, it's your trans we just put in that killed that computer and funny cause we already did the quick learn and drove it 10 miles to you' Ended up sitting there for a month, turns out Chrysler had released bad software that bricked the PCM when they flashed it and tried to learn the key to the PCM for theft. The service manager and my boss got into it pretty bad over the phone, guy was a total dick to us and my boss told him off, didn't know my boss used to work for the dealer before they changed names and moved down the road so he knew all the old timers over there. A bit of a ruckus, we still joke about it. I remember over hearing 'yeah well I'll call you an asshole' and I was like 'oh damn, shit just got real'.  /rant

If I remember right unplugging the signal wire to a Ford alternator causes it to full field.... maybe thats really old ones, but seems like I remember doing that when I used to get them. Honda alternators usually start screaming like a bad idler or PS pump. Can be misleading. Unplugging the 4 pin on a Honda causes the alt to completely stop working. I always unplug the 4 pin when testing for belt area noises to rule out an alternator. I've been slid on several K series where you think its an idler but it ends up being a water pump, ac compressor, or alternator. You can spin the diagnostic wheel on those lol. Usually only the AC compressor and idlers make noise without belt tension. Water pump is very difficult to isolate and is the most difficult to replace, especially on elements.

I think you mentioned that jeep story. I luckily haven't had an issue reprogramming lately. We are usually good for a few bricks every year due to failing USB cables. Getting a ton of HRVs in for their CVT recall reprogramming lately.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

Its 2021.

Its on back order.

Fuck.

17 hours ago, vetali said:

If I remember right unplugging the signal wire to a Ford alternator causes it to full field.... maybe thats really old ones, but seems like I remember doing that when I used to get them. Honda alternators usually start screaming like a bad idler or PS pump. Can be misleading. Unplugging the 4 pin on a Honda causes the alt to completely stop working. I always unplug the 4 pin when testing for belt area noises to rule out an alternator. I've been slid on several K series where you think its an idler but it ends up being a water pump, ac compressor, or alternator. You can spin the diagnostic wheel on those lol. Usually only the AC compressor and idlers make noise without belt tension. Water pump is very difficult to isolate and is the most difficult to replace, especially on elements.

I think you mentioned that jeep story. I luckily haven't had an issue reprogramming lately. We are usually good for a few bricks every year due to failing USB cables. Getting a ton of HRVs in for their CVT recall reprogramming lately.

If I recall there is a tab you can ground/touch with a screwdriver around the back of the case that does cause it to full field - Or maybe I'm thinking older AC Delco here.

I've always heard Jeeps were bad for having electrical issues and saw the same with my mom's old Cherokee.
The Insturment panel one day decided to cluster fuck itself making it a cluster fucked cluster (Imagine that).
Never did work properly again after that.

18+ v's eh?
I've always seen batteries when charged to THAT extent in voltage start smelling like a fart, swell up and sometimes go "Bang" when you applied a load to it.....
Or just blow up if it got too hot period.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to pull a battery "Smokin-Joe Hot" out of a hole in a piece of equipment and had to let it cool down before I could do much anything else with it.
Normally I had to pull it hot to get the machine back in service ASAP and I'd set aside until the next morning, no way I was putting that in my service van to rattle around in the back and get sparked off internally (BOOM).

Come back in the morning, pick it up, double-check the machine and so on to be sure it was ready......
And a few of those batteries were still warm after sitting somewhere off to the side overnight to cool down.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, vetali said:

I probably did mention it, pretty sure they're still getting the stink out of the loaner they had to give the guy...very smelly family.

I can't recall which way a ford alt goes but either way 18V is pretty bad lol. Thankfully it seemed like the modules had some kind of over voltage shut down protection. Told the other shop to let us know how it goes, I'll probably follow up with them in a few weeks just to sate my curiosity.

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

it was still overcharging with the 3 wire connector unplugged, it was self energizing like something inside was shorted.

Maybe it was using the old system where the alternator can power itself, by us laymens called it 9 diode alternator.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Maybe it was using the old system where the alternator can power itself, by us laymens called it 9 diode alternator.

It was supposed to be computer controlled! GenMon, GenCmd, and Ign are the three wires I think. Or the 3 data PID. I don't know.

Did some work on her this morning.
Although there is still alot of work ahead, she runs and that's a win for me.

Short video of the test run on my channel:
https://youtu.be/NnUIzERj27o

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.