Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

I drive a 325i, and am in the San Francisco Bay Area (on the peninsula). Just filled up at ~ $4.19/gallon

I actually really like the beater civic i just bought for gas mileage. $20 gets me almost 400 miles here lol

and I need to drive a lot so it really helps.. keeping the miles off the miata too

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Storytime: Back when I was first learning to drive stick shift, I was having some trouble getting the timing right on releasing the clutch to pull away smoothly, and I had gotten into the habit of releasing it a bit later so as to make sure I didn't stall. Around this time, I was returning from the store with my dad and was stopped at a traffic light; still having trouble with the timing with the clutch/gas, I unintentionally revved the engine up to about 5k rpm but didn't release the clutch so the car didn't launch forward. Unfortunately, when I turned to look at my dad's face of disapproval for my small, albeit noisy, mistake, I realized that there was a police car literally right next to us. Luckily, they didn't seem to care too much and the only thing that was hurt was my ego...

There was also the time where I stalled three times while I was at a stop sign because I didn't notice that I left the car in 3rd gear, fun times.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Eh, they're not bad. No melting, no cracking, how's AFR?

No idea lol. It was just running a little sluggish lately, so I was checking some things. I doubt I could check that. I've got a code reader from some snap-on brand that's all. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 hours ago, veldora said:

No idea lol. It was just running a little sluggish lately, so I was checking some things. I doubt I could check that. I've got a code reader from some snap-on brand that's all. 

I forget, what car is this?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I forget, what car is this?

It's just my protégé lol. But when it's down on anything you can tell, because you always use all the power it has. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

13 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

There was also the time where I stalled three times while I was at a stop sign because I didn't notice that I left the car in 3rd gear, fun times.

starting in 3rd is not that difficult, but for people who sometimes have difficulties with 1st (aka while learning) ... i see how it can be issue :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

4 hours ago, veldora said:

It's just my protégé lol. But when it's down on anything you can tell, because you always use all the power it has. 

Haha amen to that. The AC in my 626 slows me from 70 to 60 when it comes on if I don't add throttle.
Cleaned the MAF recently?

bay area gas+toll prices and the m3/SS's gluttony are one reason for why I'm biking to work now.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Haha amen to that. The AC in my 626 slows me from 70 to 60 when it comes on if I don't add throttle.
Cleaned the MAF recently?

Never. Didn't know it needed cleaned lol. Ive just been doing typical 100k mile maintenance. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Is this a Vibe check?

IMG_20191001_130820.jpg

Nice Corolla

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

22 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

Storytime: Back when I was first learning to drive stick shift, I was having some trouble getting the timing right on releasing the clutch to pull away smoothly, and I had gotten into the habit of releasing it a bit later so as to make sure I didn't stall. Around this time, I was returning from the store with my dad and was stopped at a traffic light; still having trouble with the timing with the clutch/gas, I unintentionally revved the engine up to about 5k rpm but didn't release the clutch so the car didn't launch forward. Unfortunately, when I turned to look at my dad's face of disapproval for my small, albeit noisy, mistake, I realized that there was a police car literally right next to us. Luckily, they didn't seem to care too much and the only thing that was hurt was my ego...

lets not talk about the number of times I accidentally grinded reverse in the miata when I first got it lol

It's so hard to get into reverse on the 6 speeds. one of the well known quirks :/

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Click Clock Click Clock Click Clock Click Clock

video0(1).mov

Is your dashboard cupholder in good shape?

Even if it is. Don't put any big drinks in it. Rely on the one behind the ignition. The other is quite flimsy and easily can break 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

@pinksnowbirdie

Having fun with the Jekyl/Hyde of a turbo on an automatic yet?

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Don't have to deal with clutch in clutch out all the time in heavy traffic, still fast enough to have fun

9 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Even if it is. Don't put any big drinks in it. Rely on the one behind the ignition. The other is quite flimsy and easily can break 

Yup that cup holder is in pretty good shape.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

@pinksnowbirdie

Having fun with the Jekyl/Hyde of a turbo on an automatic yet?

Haven’t driven it personally lol but it seems fine

i rode in it and it’s fine if not pretty good

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

21 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

image0.jpg

seems fine lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Can't wait to get new tires for the rims I got! It seems that the stock 185 tires are just thin enough to let the wheels spin, so upgrading to 225s should be great for the Corolla. Also, I'm having trouble deciding what engine I would get if I were to do a hypothetical engine swap; something like a 4A-GE or 2ZZ-FE would be nice, but I kinda want something that is turbocharged and could reach ~300hp pretty easily, so a 3S-GTE is definitely an option. Any ideas?

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16