Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I've heard good things about continental ContiSport's but I can't give a firm recommendation on them as I've not personally run them on my car.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, Ross Siggers said:

I've heard good things about continental ContiSport's but I can't give a firm recommendation on them as I've not personally run them on my car.

Theyre good but they dont last long. Mate got thru a pair in 4500 miles on a 133 twingo.

2 hours ago, Purp_Juice said:

When it comes to tyres (Tires) what are people's go to choice? 

Currently looking at YOKOHAMA ADVAN FLEVA V701's - has anyone had any experience with these? 

What car are they for?

Personally recommend Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s, brilliant tyres but quite pricey depending on size

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

27 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Theyre good but they dont last long. Mate got thru a pair in 4500 miles on a 133 twingo.

What car are they for?

Personally recommend Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2s, brilliant tyres but quite pricey depending on size

For my 1 series - 255 rears 225 fronts

Yh the Dunlops are a bit out of my budget. 

7 hours ago, warmmilk said:

do you know what happened to the canjam guys having to retire realy?

I've never come across a cop like that.... kinda jealous...

They had low oil pressure after the first run and didn't want to blow up the block. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

7 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Well I only need 10% of the gas I normally do if my car is tuned for E90 ;) and there probably plenty of diesel going around. But you bet your ass I’m gonna be driving a gas car in 2060. Nothing replaces the sound or smell

This is why i'm never buying electric until i'm forced to. I can't give up the sound of a good gas motor, nor could I pass on the smell of gasoline.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

there would be no benefit of making synthetic gasoline when you could simply use something simple like ethanol.

it is just not realistic because the only reason gas is affordable is that the oil thats used to make it is basically free and the only cost is pumping it out of the ground.

if the oil would have real costs to produce we would all be going electric by now simply because gas would have never been affordable enough.

.........lol

I can't even begin to undo that. Ethanol has a way lower energy density than gasoline and is a waste of useful farming space. If we could bring the time to make a barrel of synthetic gasoline down, it's a better solution for ICEs. Ethanol is a joke and should be banned, stuff is worthless.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Great for making power as long as you’re okay with -5 MPG

Just use something that's not a waste of space like growing corn is.

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

.........lol

I can't even begin to undo that. Ethanol has a way lower energy density than gasoline and is a waste of useful farming space. If we could bring the time to make a barrel of synthetic gasoline down, it's a better solution for ICEs. Ethanol is a joke and should be banned, stuff is worthless.

so what kind of synthetic fuel are you referring to then?

hopefully not the commonly mentioned kind based of coal and natural gas but in liquid form.

Ethanol IS simple as its easy to produce, store and transport, yes it does have a lower energy density but the process of forming longer chained hydrocarbons with a possibly higher energy density already consumes energy which is making it less efficient again.

the only reasonable alternative would be diesel made from vegetable oil which has a similar energy density as regular diesel but also takes up farm land to produce.

we will have to accept the fact that our fuel reserves are not unlimited and we will at some point have to settle for something else thats renewable.

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

hopefully not the commonly mentioned kind based of coal and natural gas but in liquid form.

Ethanol IS simple as its easy to produce, store and transport, yes it does have a lower energy density but the process of forming longer chained hydrocarbons with a possibly higher energy density already consumes energy which is making it less efficient again.

the only reasonable alternative would be diesel made from vegetable oil which has a similar energy density as regular diesel but also takes up farm land to produce.

we will have to accept the fact that our fuel reserves are not unlimited and we will at some point have to settle for something else thats renewable.

Actual gasoline.

And the process of making it destroys land.

4 hours ago, Purp_Juice said:

For my 1 series - 255 rears 225 fronts

Yh the Dunlops are a bit out of my budget. 

what 1 series

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

On 10/22/2018 at 1:15 PM, chaozbandit said:

Cops are car people too, and those are usually the good ones

Cops are actually so nice when it comes to cars. When you are overtaking here they don’t catch you for speeding. Nearly shat my pants when I was going 140 in the overtaking lane around a corner and there was a cop.

11 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

Ethanol would be great because you can fill up your car, clean your windows and have a drink all at the same time.

I was looking up some specs on my car, and I learned that the suspension setup has Macpherson struts up front and trailing arm suspension in the rear. Does anybody know the benefits or drawbacks of having a setup like this, or what it might be good at?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

45 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I was looking up some specs on my car, and I learned that the suspension setup has Macpherson struts up front and trailing arm suspension in the rear. Does anybody know the benefits or drawbacks of having a setup like this, or what it might be good at?

MacPherson strut is essentially the most basic front suspension. It uses one lower control arm, connected to the bottom of the wheel hub, and one shock connected to the top of the wheel hub. The spring can either be located in a coilover type on the strut, or separate, between the frame/k-member and the lower control arm. It's a good all around suspension. Easy to manufacture (and cheap), does well in most cars, and even performs well enough that some prefer it in certain motor sports. Trailing arm is kind of a general term though. It refers to the rear axle (whether live or independent) being connect via control arms that mount in front of the axle, which is where you get the term "trailing" from. What car do you drive?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

53 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

MacPherson strut is essentially the most basic front suspension. It uses one lower control arm, connected to the bottom of the wheel hub, and one shock connected to the top of the wheel hub. The spring can either be located in a coilover type on the strut, or separate, between the frame/k-member and the lower control arm. It's a good all around suspension. Easy to manufacture (and cheap), does well in most cars, and even performs well enough that some prefer it in certain motor sports. Trailing arm is kind of a general term though. It refers to the rear axle (whether live or independent) being connect via control arms that mount in front of the axle, which is where you get the term "trailing" from. What car do you drive?

Thanks for the info, I drive a 1992 Toyota Paseo.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

I talked to someone not too long ago who was building a Paseo... I don't know if it was here of in Shroud's discord.

1 hour ago, thegreengamers said:

Thanks for the info, I drive a 1992 Toyota Paseo.

They're built in enough that there's probably a forum for them, or at least a section in a toyota racing forum most likely

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Purp_Juice said:

123D mate 

Contipremiums or regular sport maxx rts

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Cheers for the suggestions - gone for the Sport Maxx RT2s 

3 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

it's so weird how you europeans have different tire branding/names from us.

It's like I can't recommend anything because it's all different over there.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm guessing its all down to marketing really. 

Google would have helped me find our equivalent. 

3 hours ago, Purp_Juice said:

I'm guessing its all down to marketing really. 

Google would have helped me find our equivalent. 

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah but even so it doesn’t make much sense... whatever

[Under Construction]

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

I talked to someone not too long ago who was building a Paseo... I don't know if it was here of in Shroud's discord.

They're built in enough that there's probably a forum for them, or at least a section in a toyota racing forum most likely

I have used the Toyota forums a bit, but most of the threads I've seen are from before 2010 and it's hard to find anything recent that's related to Paseos. I'll check again soon though. What I really want to do is to take out the automatic transmission and replace it with a manual since that will make it more fun, lighter, and faster; the only problem with that is the conversion can be kind of complicated and expensive...

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC: