Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Skodaaaaa

Soda

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Untitled2.png

talk about wheel-to-wheel xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 hours ago, warmmilk said:

you go girl!  :D 

kinda surprised about the camaro, not that it handles well but that it does so well in autox being so wide... having a narrow car is a big advantage in autox...  and PS4 tires are pretty sticky actually, they come close to 200tw tires.  but they lose grip as they get hot...  so if the guy had a tire sprayer to cool them down between runs he's not giving up as much as you might think

that must be the crazy GTI @Rappalores was talking about haha

it's not even a GTI, so to speak. :D

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h

off topic but... just picked up a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR

been wanting to try one for a while.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The temptation to give them hundreds of dollars is real.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

The temptation to give them hundreds of dollars is real.

I got a used one... so it wasn't so bad *shrug*

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That's exactly what I put in my house around August, it's been 100% since then. I mounted it to the ceiling of my living room (central area of the house) and it has no problems covering my house.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That's exactly what I put in my house around August, it's been 100% since then. I mounted it to the ceiling of my living room (central area of the house) and it has no problems covering my house.

how are speeds? Done any local transfers of files or anything to see where it maxes out at real-world?

I don't care a ton... just want something better than the 30 mbit/s we get over our old Wireless-N AP's lol

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

how are speeds? Done any local transfers of files or anything to see where it maxes out at real-world?

I don't care a ton... just want something better than the 30 mbit/s we get over our old Wireless-N AP's lol

I don't have a laptop to transfer files wirelessly, so I really haven't done any of that, but I have 100MB/S internet service and often see 115+MB/S rates from that. I don't see any difference in speed tests between my phone on WiFi and the desktops on LAN. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I don't have a laptop to transfer files wirelessly, so I really haven't done any of that, but I have 100MB/S internet service and often see 115+MB/S rates from that. I don't see any difference in speed tests between my phone on WiFi and the desktops on LAN. 

nice. we have gigabit so I most def will see a difference... but 30 mbit/s is kinda unacceptable lol

that and my family complains about the wifi so i'd like to make it better. this seemed to be the best option.

I did want the UAP-AC-PRO just was a bit more expensive and I *think* the LR model actually does have longer range than even that one. Rather the range so I can hopefully get the house down to only 1 AP rather than 2. (which btw we have two random AP's -- no auto switching between the two. terrible UX)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Rappalores said:

it's not even a GTI, so to speak. :D

don't be a h8tr :D 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

nice. we have gigabit so I most def will see a difference... but 30 mbit/s is kinda unacceptable lol

that and my family complains about the wifi so i'd like to make it better. this seemed to be the best option.

I did want the UAP-AC-PRO just was a bit more expensive and I *think* the LR model actually does have longer range than even that one. Rather the range so I can hopefully get the house down to only 1 AP rather than 2. (which btw we have two random AP's -- no auto switching between the two. terrible UX)

I'm jealous of you gigabit service, I could get that but they want $180/mo for it. 

This will certainly be a huge improvement over your current setup. I can get my WAN in my detached garage through two walls of steel siding, which I find pretty impressive. 

Once I build a shop a bit farther back on the lot, I'll add another one in there to really cover all the lot. 

7 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

don't be a h8tr :D 

Why would I be? I really like German cars :P

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm jealous of you gigabit service, I could get that but they want $180/mo for it. 

This will certainly be a huge improvement over your current setup. I can get my WAN in my detached garage through two walls of steel siding, which I find pretty impressive. 

Once I build a shop a bit farther back on the lot, I'll add another one in there to really cover all the lot. 

hmm if that's the case I may even not have to put it in the center of the house like I was planning on doing. saves me a trip to the attic and running wires and stuff lol

I'll see. I also have a friend who was interested in getting one because he's tired of his Netgear Nighthawk that he spent a lot on barely working so I'm actually gonna bring it over to his place and set it up there so he can try it first.

and yes gigabit is very nice. Can download stuff so fast over wired.... had to make a PFsense router out of a SFF dell optiplex originally to get the full speeds xD

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

hmm if that's the case I may even not have to put it in the center of the house like I was planning on doing. saves me a trip to the attic and running wires and stuff lol

I'll see. I also have a friend who was interested in getting one because he's tired of his Netgear Nighthawk that he spent a lot on barely working so I'm actually gonna bring it over to his place and set it up there so he can try it first.

and yes gigabit is very nice. Can download stuff so fast....

"Stuff"... Yeah... I hear you...

:ph34r:

Meanwhile I am happy that my parents upgraded from a "6000er line" to a "VDSL 50" one. I had like 600 kb/s DL speed then and it improved to around 4.5-5.5 mb/s on Steam. Would be interesting to see how much an ever faster connection would be.

Spoiler

image.png.54b775ce3c3719cd8e234f0ce0ba1299.png

What I don't understand: it should be 50/10 on down/up but it's more or less 33 on both...

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

"Stuff"... Yeah... I hear you...

:ph34r:

yeah like video games... I can just delete video games to free up space and not care because I can literally download them in 5-10 minutes at most lol

Spoiler

how you know your aero works

@chaozbandit  

@bredeur97  <-- why this bs not work?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

3 hours ago, Rappalores said:

Meanwhile I am happy that my parents upgraded from a "6000er line" to a "VDSL 50" one. I had like 600 kb/s DL speed then and it improved to around 4.5-5.5 mb/s on Steam. Would be interesting to see how much an ever faster connection would be.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.54b775ce3c3719cd8e234f0ce0ba1299.png

What I don't understand: it should be 50/10 on down/up but it's more or less 33 on both...

I never get full either. Or well rarely do. It's funny, mine will have variances of 100 mbit/s and that's /normal/.

My speed variance is more than what most people even have xD

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

how you know your aero works

@chaozbandit  

@bredeur97  <-- why this bs not work?

Pretty much! Rooster tails are awesome when you have a proper diffuser and flat floor.

Also you spelled it wrong @bcredeur97

2017-WEC-FUJI-LMP1 Toyota TS050 [7] (3).jpg

2017-WEC-FUJI-LMP1 Toyota TS050 [7] (5).jpg

2017-WEC-FUJI-LMP1 Toyota TS050 [8] (3).jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

8 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Pretty much! Rooster tails are awesome when you have a proper diffuser and flat floor.

Also you spelled it wrong @bcredeur97

lol oops

I just got an 06 Civic SI as my first car. I've driven for years but never manual.

There's no way to Google it (I tried) so I'm asking the question here: When you park, do you put it in gear before or after you shut off the engine? Does it matter?

I used to be quite active here.

42 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

lol oops

it's k. that is really cool though. I'd def say the aero is working xD

14 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I just got an 06 Civic SI as my first car. I've driven for years but never manual.

There's no way to Google it (I tried) so I'm asking the question here: When you park, do you put it in gear before or after you shut off the engine? Does it matter?

shouldn't matter. Tho I normally park on flat ground and my car will start without clutch depressed (I did this to squeeze all the life out of the thrust bearing that I could, per flyin miata's recommendation) so I just leave mine in neutral most of the time... only in gear if I think it can roll anywhere

I'd probably do it after though. just so I don't have a dumb moment of putting it in gear, and then letting go of clutch before turning car off lol

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's k. that is really cool though. I'd def say the aero is working xD

shouldn't matter. Tho I normally park on flat ground and my car will start without clutch depressed (I did this to squeeze all the life out of the thrust bearing that I could, per flyin miata's recommendation) so I just leave mine in neutral most of the time... only in gear if I think it can roll anywhere

I'd probably do it after though. just so I don't have a dumb moment of putting it in gear, and then letting go of clutch before turning car off lol

Manual Saabs you have to put it in reverse before it will let you take the key out if the ignition (with the key being in the center there's no steering wheel lock) 

So either way it should be okay

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB