Next Scrapyard Wars

Hello all, 

with the new mining series that Linus is working on, and the growing similarities between all the scrapyard wars, I want to throw the idea out their for a new scrapyard wars

$1000 budget

No new hardware

Computers will mine on a cryptominer(both on the same one) and the winner would either be the one with the most profits or best ROI time (let me know which would be better in comments)

All in all this would be an epic scrapyard wars and I really hope they make it.

Let me know your thoughts bellow

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

If GPU price trends continue, $1000 would be barely enough to make decent mining machine even in the used market.

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If GPU price trends continue, $1000 would be barely enough to make decent mining machine even in the used market.

Depends on where you look, I see 970s and 980s on my local listings for ~150-200.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on where you look, I see 970s and 980s on my local listings for ~150-200.

True, I was only looking at the 10-series. 

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

True, I was only looking at the 10-series. 

Anything Polaris or Pascal is really inflated. Except for that one Titan Xp I found for $750, that was an insane deal...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Except for that one Titan Xp I found for $750, that was an insane deal.

What was the catch? That sounds too good to be true.

A mining-oriented Scrapyard Wars would have a horribly boring performance section. I'd love to see a retro Scrapyard Wars, with P4/Athlon 64 era stuff and a budget of $100 CAD, but we all know that would pretty much mean that both teams go to Freegeek and never leave.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

that sounds horribly boring

how bout a scrapyard wars where both machines just have a loading bar and whichever finishes first wins.....

I disagree, I see the part hunting as the most interesting part. This would be alot better than having to pay for transport.

Mining numbers are no differnet from gaming numbers. thier all numbers. you could even compare differnet currency minings

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

5 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

Mining numbers are no differnet from gaming numbers

except that mining is boring , you just sit there and watch the machine do nothing while gaming is actually fun becuase you're playing a game.

just as a concept it's boring

like which machine can render video the fastest , it's not fun or interesting to actually watch the render happen , it's just work. 

Just now, emosun said:

except that mining is boring , you just sit there and watch the machine do nothing while gaming is actually fun becuase you're playing a game.

just as a concept it's boring

like which machine can render video the fastest , it's not fun or interesting to actually watch the render happen , it's just work. 

Alot of people don't watch scrapyard wars just to watch them game on the PC's. Scrapyard wars is about the building of the PC itself

6 hours ago, AMDPRO said:

Alot of people don't watch scrapyard wars just to watch them game on the PC's. Scrapyard wars is about the building of the PC itself

Building a machine to do what the majority of viewers don't do is just not a good concept for (what can best be described as) an entertainment show.

it would be like a file server building challenge

i really wish they would just be done with the whole mining thing

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I think part of the problem is that it boils down to... get a motherboard with as many pcie slots as possible, some risers, and best gpus. There’s very little more too it.

With mining, aesthetics, CPU, ram, and storage doesn’t matter, or at least only in a lower power requirement way. The PSU only matters because it needs enough power, but it’s scrap yard wars quality and reliability aren’t factors.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

I have actually found their recent videos on it a bit informative.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

It's what people are interested in now.

And please, Linus, keep warning people off of mining. It's only lowering the difficulty curve for me, and my little nest egg of zcash is growing quicker than ever.

I'd watch Scrap Yard Wars regardless of what the gimmick for the show was.  A mining theme would be fine with me as long as its still the same concept as previous iterations of the show.  The problem is that they'd probably not be able to find any parts right now.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

:( The jealousy is real.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 1/31/2018 at 7:33 AM, AMDPRO said:

Hello all, 

with the new mining series that Linus is working on, and the growing similarities between all the scrapyard wars, I want to throw the idea out their for a new scrapyard wars

$1000 budget

No new hardware

Computers will mine on a cryptominer(both on the same one) and the winner would either be the one with the most profits or best ROI time (let me know which would be better in comments)

All in all this would be an epic scrapyard wars and I really hope they make it.

Let me know your thoughts bellow

I actually think for one like this - for an extra challenge ... the GPU *has* to be brand new, AND it can NOT be a GeForce or a Radeon (gaming) card. :P  Quadros, FirePros (or Radeon Pros), Teslas - cards like that would be fine.

Speaking of workstation GPUs, that got me wondering, with the gaming cards so inflated in price, if there were any workstation GPUs that might be comparable price to performance.  It looks like the Quadro P2000 and GTX 1060 6GB are fairly close, as well as the RX 580 and Radeon Pro WX 7100.  The Quadro P4000 isn't all that far behind the GTX 1070 Ti, either, and the Vega Frontier Edition looks to be within spitting distance of the GTX 1080.

I used passmark for the benchmarks, since I don't know what site has aggregate (if that's the right word) gaming benchmarks for as many cards as Passmark has.  They have the ATI Rage 128 Pro and NVidia RIVA TNT2 from 1999, for example, as well as tons of other gaming and workstation cards.  (Come to think of it, though, I see no Teslas on there.)

On 1/31/2018 at 7:53 AM, aisle9 said:

A mining-oriented Scrapyard Wars would have a horribly boring performance section. I'd love to see a retro Scrapyard Wars, with P4/Athlon 64 era stuff and a budget of $100 CAD, but we all know that would pretty much mean that both teams go to Freegeek and never leave.

I'd love to see Retro too, but P4 / Athlon 64 is too new for my taste - not challenging enough in setting it up. :P (Supporting USB & PCI which were the original plug-and-play that made things easier - no-go for retro for me.)

Rather, the system should have ISA slots, serial ports (and 5-pin DIN for keyboard), MFM hard drives, DIP chips for RAM, etc.  No PCI or newer, no USB (or PS/2 for keyboard/mouse) or newer, no IDE or newer, no SIMM or newer allowed.

Oh, and for a bit of extra challenge? ;) They'd recruit some younger kids to be the ones actually putting the systems together and setting up the OS and software & drivers and all that stuff.  The kids would preferably have been born AFTER the original iPhone and Core 2 CPUs were released, but at the oldest should not have been born before PCI Express 1.0 and SATA 1 were released. :D

LMG staff would of course be VERBALLY coaching them, but would not be allowed to touch anything except in an actual emergency, until they're ready to actually run the games / benchmarks / etc.  (In this case, an emergency means someone is in danger of being hurt, it does NOT mean one of the PARTS is about to be killed.)

On 1/31/2018 at 9:54 AM, AMDPRO said:

And for me, I also enjoy seeing the adventure of SOURCING the parts. :D

On 1/31/2018 at 4:07 PM, emosun said:

Building a machine to do what the majority of viewers don't do is just not a good concept for (what can best be described as) an entertainment show.

it would be like a file server building challenge

I'd actually like to see a NAS/backup server build.  For example, it would have to support at least 144GB ECC RAM, use a standard ATX style case (not a custom rackmount case), and all the parts and software (not including the storage) would have to cost, combined, no more than a single 6TB or 8TB NAS hard drive.

I have another challenge for Linus and crew, although this would be for something else other than Scrapyard Wars.  (Some of the criteria would be based on SYW, though.)  Considering the current prices of GPUs and RAM ...

They would have to build an entirely NEW system, using only NEW parts.  The budget would be $300 (from SYW 1), and THIS time it would INCLUDE peripherals AND operating system (and no cheating with k*ng*in, g2*, r/h*rdwar*swap, etc).  The budget would include sales tax and shipping, and the cost BEFORE mail-in rebates would have to fit in the budget.  (If possible, it should also include transportation & food & other things, like the one recent SYW season included.)

7 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'd love to see Retro too, but P4 / Athlon 64 is too new for my taste - not challenging enough in setting it up. :P (Supporting USB & PCI which were the original plug-and-play that made things easier - no-go for retro for me.)

Rather, the system should have ISA slots, serial ports (and 5-pin DIN for keyboard), MFM hard drives, DIP chips for RAM, etc.  No PCI or newer, no USB (or PS/2 for keyboard/mouse) or newer, no IDE or newer, no SIMM or newer allowed.

Oh, and for a bit of extra challenge? ;) They'd recruit some younger kids to be the ones actually putting the systems together and setting up the OS and software & drivers and all that stuff.  The kids would preferably have been born AFTER the original iPhone and Core 2 CPUs were released, but at the oldest should not have been born before PCI Express 1.0 and SATA 1 were released. :D

LMG staff would of course be VERBALLY coaching them, but would not be allowed to touch anything except in an actual emergency, until they're ready to actually run the games / benchmarks / etc.  (In this case, an emergency means someone is in danger of being hurt, it does NOT mean one of the PARTS is about to be killed.)

I threw a dart at the wall on the P4 era because, frankly, a Windows 98 Scrapyard Wars would be boring as hell for most of the audience. They wouldn't know anything about the hardware other than "it's old" and they wouldn't recognize the games. P4 era, particularly if restricted to Socket 478 systems, is sufficiently old to get the retro point across while still being new enough that most viewers will have some understanding of what they're looking at. 478 boards still used DDR RAM, they used IDE drives and for the most part had AGP slots, but all of those things are easy enough to understand or explain. They could also handle games that the audience today would recognize, but face the challenge of running them on the original (or older) hardware.

There's also the issue of hardware availability. There's a lot of Socket 478/939 stuff still out there in good, working condition, and a lot of it can still be easily found on Craigslist, Letgo and OfferUp. An AGP graphics card worth buying would probably be the hardest find, and those are still out there at thrift shops, secondhand shops, certainly at the aforementioned Freegeek. If you start going back to the days of slotted CPUs, ISA cards and SCSI drives, you start running into serious supply problems very quickly.

The kids idea, while kind of nifty in theory, probably wouldn't work. Those boards are finicky enough in their twilight years that a kid banging on them while trying to get the AGP card to fit, figure out how an IDE bus works or get a Socket 478 cooler off would probably be the end of them and leave a very unsatisfying "dual loser" ending.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:40 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah there around $275-350 on my Listings. which considering the state isnt horrible but still Use to get em new 3 years ago at that. 

But 3x970 isnt a great mining rig. 

MOST PROFITS!!!

they have 1 full month

when their money run off they can use the mined money to buy more hardware (probably 10x the mined money)

imagine if someone uses hard drive mining hahahaha

on the end they benchmark by how many hashes/s they can do on pre-selected coins

Next scrapyard wars 

they go to an actual scrap yard and make computers out of the stuff already there, if none of the contestants can build a computer out of scrap metal they build swords and battle to the end so its a mix of battle royale, the winner takes all assets of the dead opponents xD

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing