Next Scrapyard Wars

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Next scrapyard wars 

they go to an actual scrap yard and make computers out of the stuff already there, if none of the contestants can build a computer out of scrap metal they build swords and battle to the end so its a mix of battle royale, the winner takes all assets of the dead opponents xD

luke may actually win for once lol

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

luke may actually win for once lol

he won the last one

3 minutes ago, explorer.exe said:

he won the last one

it was a team win doesn't count lel :P

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

11 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

it was a team win doesn't count lel :P

he also won the second or third one

(the watercooling one that linus had an really poor idea of passive cooling)

3 hours ago, explorer.exe said:

he also won the second or third one

(the watercooling one that linus had an really poor idea of passive cooling)

2nd

oh I thought he lost that one I guess I never finished it or something idk.

15 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Next scrapyard wars 

they go to an actual scrap yard and make computers out of the stuff already there, if none of the contestants can build a computer out of scrap metal they build swords and battle to the end so its a mix of battle royale, the winner takes all assets of the dead opponents xD

Sounds more like a CSF video!

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

• 2 weeks later...

You remember them suggesting that having a $0 budget wouldn't work because they would just get GTX 1080s thrown at them, and get asked for them back after the show?

No asking back. You have to donate the hardware genuinely, no BS. Every piece of hardware gets a full shoutout in the final show And both builds gets auctioned off for charity. So you'll get a real interesting build AND no guilt about pushing people to donate valuable gear to the show.

Done.

Should be a timed build once everything's purchased.

J2C did a timed build on brand new parts, 1 hour for him!

Dunno if it should be no prebuild or not.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:40 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on where you look, I see 970s and 980s on my local listings for ~150-200.

Agreed. For me a 980 ti is 250 and a Titan x is also 250 so yeah, it depends

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

Nah man, I like my idea better:

Best Windows 98 system for under 98 bucks in light of the 20th anniversary of the OS.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 hours ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

980Tis for $250! Titan X for $250!Where da hell do u live coz I'm coming!

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

1 hour ago, SimpleTechVids said:

980Tis for $250! Titan X for $250!Where da hell do u live coz I'm coming!

South Louisiana, also an unopened Asus 1070 for 400

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

"But can it play Crysis"

All hardware that came out after 2010 is banned. FreeGeek is off-limits (because otherwise that's all they would use). Bonus points for using hardware released before 2007 (when Crysis was released) in the final build.

The aim is to get as close to 60 FPS at a certain graphics setting (TBD) as possible.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

17 hours ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

Haha nice. I saw a Titan Xp for $750

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 2/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, Fetzie said:

"But can it play Crysis"

All hardware that came out after 2010 is banned. FreeGeek is off-limits (because otherwise that's all they would use). Bonus points for using hardware released before 2007 (when Crysis was released) in the final build.

The aim is to get as close to 60 FPS at a certain graphics setting (TBD) as possible.

I was thinking of another idea for making it challenging in the GPU department. ;) There'd be no limit on the graphics card budget or age, BUT...

• The video card must be passively cooled (no water cooling or fans allowed), bonus points for no heatsink at all,
  • it must be single-slot (counting the heatsink if used, not just the back-of-case bracket), and
  • It cannot use supplemental power (no PCIe power cables, for example).

Also, no cheating by using a server case with high airflow.  (I've heard that some 200+ watt workstation GPUs are passively cooled, intended to be put in rackmount cases with high-speed channeled airflow or something like that.)

The system should be virtually silent, or at least below ambient noise level (when all other noise making equipment in audible range is powered off) under full load.  Noise level compliance should be measured within 0.2 mm of the loudest part if the system (or the equivalent of having your ear in direct physical contact with the fan shroud, the side shielded from the fan blades). :P

2 minutes ago, Aremis said:

Naw next scrapyard wars is the cheapest dual socket machine possible AND they have to hackintosh it.

They already did a cheap dual socket gaming rig, the only real difference would be making it a hackintosh which wouldn't be the best idea for a gaming rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They already did a cheap dual socket gaming rig, the only real difference would be making it a hackintosh which wouldn't be the best idea for a gaming rig.

Yeah but gaming rigs get boring.  Make something hacky not just "my DX9 is better than your DX9".  They don't even test OpenGL so as far as I care scrapyard wars isn't that important past showing how to use craigslist / kijiji

That is a great idea, I think the one with the most profit should win !

Otherwise, maybe $1500 budget would be better, with transport and the raises of prices.

• 1 month later...

They should have a roadtrip season.   Start at one location, say Vancouver, and must race to another city, say LA  They get points for how quickly they can find components and arrive at the destination as well as for the quality of their builds.  Would make the finding of components all the more interesting.  I also think having three teams would be great despite the extra time in editing.   Also when is the new season?  

On 1/31/2018 at 10:53 AM, aisle9 said:

A mining-oriented Scrapyard Wars would have a horribly boring performance section. I'd love to see a retro Scrapyard Wars, with P4/Athlon 64 era stuff and a budget of $100 CAD, but we all know that would pretty much mean that both teams go to Freegeek and never leave.

I would want to see a video where they still make best pc with unlimited budget but the items have to be used

1 hour ago, FlightKid said:

I would want to see a video where they still make best pc with unlimited budget but the items have to be used

That would be really, really easy.

www.ebay.com

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:33 AM, AMDPRO said:

Computers will mine on a cryptominer(both on the same one) and the winner would either be the one with the most profits or best ROI time (let me know which would be better in comments)

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

Better idea, they hunt down parts, etc etc....  and see who can flip their pc for the highest % profit.

With a catch, that it has to meet certain marks benchmarking. Oc allowed. 

13 hours ago, aisle9 said:

That would be really, really easy.

www.ebay.com

well it would stillbe a good competition between the two teams