Arrests and prison sentences to be handed out to Chinese PUBG cheaters

Mattson
Just now, Vandy190 said:

Jail time really? I understand being angry about cheaters in a game but punishing someone for up to 5 years of their life is overkill. The punishment for this should be the loss of access to the game through an account / IP ban. This is just morally wrong.

Account/IP ban? PUBG for example you can get for a few dollars in China. IP ban? Well there are thousands of cafes you can go to to play game. They can't IP ban every Interest cafe in China.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Glad cheaters are finally being put away behind bars :) I would have been fine with someone coming and punching them in the face but 5 years in prison is okay too.

3 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

In a multiplayer game, yeah, it's wrong and can/does hurt the game, but it doesn't actively hurt anyone (and the game is still doing fine sales wise), so I believe any punishment related to it should be limited to within the game - such as a perma-ban/separate server/or some other restriction.

Okay, so you agree that cheating is wrong.

Now I ask, what authority determines if something is wrong?

1 minute ago, Mattson said:

Okay, so you agree that cheating is wrong.

Now I ask, what authority determines if something is wrong?

I mean, I usually rely on common sense and logic. I think I see what you're getting at though - that China has the right to determine what is right/wrong/lawful/illegal in their own country - but I couldn't care less what others (in this case, China) perceive to be wrong. If China as a bullshit law that enables them to arrest/imprison people who cheat in video games, I'm simply saying that law is bullshit and shouldn't exist or be enforced. Not that China has to care about what I think, obviously.

What this basically comes down to is I don't feel that the moments of frustration people feel when playing with cheaters are worth even a week (let alone years) of said cheater's life being taken away.

No that's not what I was getting at... I wanted to see if I was dealing with a moral relativist so I could tell which argument protocols to engage.

7 minutes ago, Mattson said:

No that's not what I was getting at... I wanted to see if I was dealing with a moral relativist so I could tell which argument protocols to engage.

Apologies if I misinterpreted where you were going. By the way, what is a "moral relativist"? Never heard that term before.

6 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

I mean, I usually rely on common sense and logic. I think I see what you're getting at though - that China has the right to determine what is right/wrong/lawful/illegal in their own country - but I couldn't care less what others (in this case, China) perceive to be wrong. If China as a bullshit law that enables them to arrest/imprison people who cheat in video games, I'm simply saying that law is bullshit and shouldn't exist or be enforced. Not that China has to care about what I think, obviously.

What this basically comes down to is I don't feel that the moments of frustration people feel when playing with cheaters are worth even a week (let alone years) of said cheater's life being taken away.

You need to know that some people don't really care about the law if it was just a fine, cause they can easily pay it off. Jail time on the other hand, it's different. It puts fear into these people and make them realized that no amount of money you have is going to help them get their asses out of a long term jail sentence.

Taking drinking and driving as a example. If a drunk driver only has to pay a fine when they kill someone, then it doesn't really help them realized, that killing a person has serious consequences. All they think is, pay off that fine and continue with their driving behavior.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

You need to know that some people don't really care about the law if it was just a fine, cause they can easily pay it off. Jail time on the other hand, it's different. It puts fear into these people and make them realized that no amount of money you have is going to help them get their asses out of a long term jail sentence.

Taking drinking and driving as a example. If a drunk driver only has to pay a fine when they kill someone, then it doesn't really help them realized, that killing a person has serious consequences. All they think is, pay off that fine and continue with their driving behavior.

I agree with everything you just said. However, cheating isn't really something that needs to be punished at all outside of the game itself - people are still going to cheat, it simply will continue to happen. Cheating doesn't hurt anyone in the long term, and it doesn't feel like its something people need to realize has serious consequences - because it shouldn't. Putting people in jail should be reserved for those who are dangerous to innocent people and/or society, not those who simply annoy you. This is just my opinion though.

15 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Cheating doesn't hurt anyone in the long term, and it doesn't feel like its something people need to realize has serious consequences - because it shouldn't.

heyyyy, I just found a new signature... thanks

2 minutes ago, Mattson said:

heyyyy, I just found a new signature... thanks

???

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

How is high latency ruining the game for everyone a xenophobic argument? Not my fault if China is on the opposite side of the planet 

To be fair, you do not need region lock to counter that. You need better servers. There was a point when Russians didn't have a server in cs go and they ended up flooding western Europe with shitty latencies, the solution has been to build them server in Russia for them to have decent alternatives. Region locking it would prevent me to come and play with them with higher latency, just because I want to play with people there, which is a nice bonus to have.

3 hours ago, Mattson said:

What are you talking about... did you not see the graph?  The amount of owners of the game has increased but the amount of concurrent players has remained stagnant.

-1x-1.png

That graph by itself proves nothing, it may just show that pubg is a trend and that many people want to try it out and are not sold on the idea, and that older players start to see some fatigue on the gameplay and go back to something else.

So.. My theory is to farm Ai players so that I can earn in game currency to purchase lootbox cosmetic items to then sell in the Steam Marketplace. Making more than what was spent on the original investment. #profit

14 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

I agree with everything you just said. However, cheating isn't really something that needs to be punished at all outside of the game itself - people are still going to cheat, it simply will continue to happen. Cheating doesn't hurt anyone in the long term, and it doesn't feel like its something people need to realize has serious consequences - because it shouldn't. Putting people in jail should be reserved for those who are dangerous to innocent people and/or society, not those who simply annoy you. This is just my opinion though.

That's nothing for you to worry about. There are different type of jails, for a wide range of offenses.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

That's nothing for you to worry about. There are different type of jails, for a wide range of offenses.

Off to the gulag with you!

54 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

China is a different beast. Strict rules and punishments in order to force social control of a population. (Cannot be related to communism at all... /s) But your view on what is wrong doesn't match their rules or social/cultural norms.

22 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Off to the gulag with you!

China is a different beast. Strict rules and punishments in order to force social control of a population. (Cannot be related to communism at all... /s) But your view on what is wrong doesn't match their rules or social/cultural norms.

No not the gulag. To the escalator!

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 hours ago, Mattson said:

To be fair the people who cry for region locking are extremely xenophobic in their reasoning and it becomes readily apparent when you probe them and question them.

EDIT:  Full disclosure, I'm all for region locking but I don't call the whole of China 'men without honor or morals' like most of the people I've engaged on the subject tend to do.

My issue would be the language barrier. I don't want to end up in a raid in an MMO with someone who doesn't understand what I am saying and vice versa.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No. It is a video game. This is not cheating at poker, this is not cheating at the stock market, this is not cheating with safety standards. This is cheating to be the better player in a video game.

The former are justifiably punishable legally. The latter isn't, because it's a video game. Jailing people for multiple years for cheating at a video game, where the only tangible impact is annoying a 14 year old across the world, is a super dangerous precedent. 

They aren't causing damage to life or limb or property or finances. They're cheating at a video game. It is ridiculous to be legally punished for that in excess of a IP or account or other in-game anti cheating mechanism.

If you cheat at Monopoly at board game night, should you be thrown in prison for 5 years? No, that's stupid. PUBG is a game, a popular one, but a game. Not a livelihood.

13 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

No. It is a video game. This is not cheating at poker, this is not cheating at the stock market, this is not cheating with safety standards. This is cheating to be the better player in a video game.

The former are justifiably punishable legally. The latter isn't, because it's a video game. Jailing people for multiple years for cheating at a video game, where the only tangible impact is annoying a 14 year old across the world, is a super dangerous precedent. 

They aren't causing damage to life or limb or property or finances. They're cheating at a video game. It is ridiculous to be legally punished for that in excess of a IP or account or other in-game anti cheating mechanism.

If you cheat at Monopoly at board game night, should you be thrown in prison for 5 years? No, that's stupid. PUBG is a game, a popular one, but a game. Not a livelihood.

The premise is that cheating is affecting the revenues of said company, which would be affecting peoples' livelihood.

16 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Technically it is tampering with someone else's property.

Remember, when you purchase a game you don't suddenly own the game. you merely possess the right to play said game in accordance with the end user license agreement.

While I don't agree with this kind of punishment being handed out (just more examples of how communist regimes are always a bad thing), I can somewhat understand the reasoning behind it.

Personally I don't care that much either way. Far as I am concerned PUBG is just another game for aderall addicted, hyper competitive try hards who take the fun out of everything, so I'm tempted to agree with those saying "don't do this" because I enjoy seeing the PUBG fanbase have to deal with their own kind.

But at the same time I'm more than willing to say that the government of China should not have the ability to do this, nor should it exist as it currently does to begin with.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

China stop being backwards xD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well I dont believe in prison time for such a thing, but a $1500 fine sounds reasonable to me.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

but a $1500 fine sounds reasonable to me.

What punishment would you suggest for someone who doesn't pay the fine?

Just now, Mattson said:

What punishment would you suggest for someone who doesn't pay the fine?

Community service for a year

The geek himself.

12 hours ago, laminutederire said:

To be fair, you do not need region lock to counter that. You need better servers. There was a point when Russians didn't have a server in cs go and they ended up flooding western Europe with shitty latencies, the solution has been to build them server in Russia for them to have decent alternatives. Region locking it would prevent me to come and play with them with higher latency, just because I want to play with people there, which is a nice bonus to have.

they already have Chinese and korea/japan servers. they just play in the US because it gives them an advantage with 400ms ping. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs