Arrests and prison sentences to be handed out to Chinese PUBG cheaters

Mattson

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/tencent-cracks-down-on-cheats-in-world-s-top-selling-video-game?

PUBG is a game that is very dear to me.  It is the first game where I was sold on the concept alone without even seeing game footage.  100 people dropped onto an 8km x 8km map and the winner is the last one left alive.  It is the first game in over 10 years that moved me to upgrade my hardware to be able to handle it.  

I've had an absolute blast.  However one thing that has completely turned me off from the idea are the cheaters.  It is so infuriating to make it to 2nd place and then when you watch the replay the person who beat you is obviously cheating.  Emotionally I cannot think of another game like this... and the emotional reactions the game elicits come from your inadequacies as a player rather than faults in the code... the best kind of emotional reactions.

However cheaters elicit a rage with a source external from the game and they ruin the experience for everyone.

In PUBG about 60% of the player base is chinese and the overwhelming majority of the cheats are coming out of China.  

Bluehole, the creators of PUBG, are teaming up with Tencent(think Chinese Steam but 10 times as big) to pursue cheaters.  China has laws against people disrupting online networks, to quote the article:

"People convicted of disrupting computer networks face five years’ imprisonment or more under Chinese law. "

Since the partnership with Tencent 120 arrests have been made in relation to Chinese cheaters and those numbers are only going to go up in the future.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think 5 years of hard labor is an appropriate response to cheating in online games?

I don't like it as it is in essence being arrested for violating a EULA, EULA's should never be legally binding. Fortunately its in China, not the west (yet).

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, Mattson said:

Do you think 5 years of hard labor is an appropriate response to cheating in online games?

Yup if not death by hanging!image.png.f85b7638cacd485dd332ef1e92b3baaa.png

Countries have laws, cant say one law in Canada is better then the next law in China, that is wrong!

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't like it as it is in essence being arrested for violating a EULA, EULA's should never be legally binding.

It's not though... the arrests are, according to chinese law, causing disruption to online networks... which hacking certainly does.  They, as the article states, have a direct impact on new player retention and there are stats and graphs backing this up.

Just now, Mattson said:

It's not though... the arrests are, according to chinese law, causing disruption to online networks... which hacking certainly does.  They, as the article states, have a direct impact on new player retention and there are stats and graphs backing this up.

The law is written so loosely anything could qualify, and to me sales do not matter from a criminal standpoint, hence the EULA mention.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Great! Now, implement China region lock into the game.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

sales do not matter from a criminal standpoint,

wow

lots of crimes are done to increase sales and are outright criminal just like this new chinese law.

Heck CEOs and company owners in China are put to death all the time!

You are looking at it from a free Canadian citizen standpoint.

Chinese law is Chinese law it needs to be enforced

Its like North Americans decrying about Islamic countries laws, yet they still drive on Islamic gas.

Another aspect of harsh sentencing is to deter others from committing similar offences. China is over populated so a few hundred in work farm prisons is nothing!

37 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

Great! Now, implement China region lock into the game.

Watch your mouth or else Greene will accuse you of xenophobia

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

To be fair the people who cry for region locking are extremely xenophobic in their reasoning and it becomes readily apparent when you probe them and question them.

EDIT:  Full disclosure, I'm all for region locking but I don't call the whole of China 'men without honor or morals' like most of the people I've engaged on the subject tend to do.

2 minutes ago, Mattson said:

To be fair the people who cry for region locking are extremely xenophobic in their reasoning and it becomes readily apparent when you probe them and question them.

How is high latency ruining the game for everyone a xenophobic argument? Not my fault if China is on the opposite side of the planet 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

How is high latency ruining the game for everyone a xenophobic argument?

Read the edit I made... I realize there are valid arguments on the subject.  But my experience, after talking to my fair share of people on this subject, I find more xenophobic people than reasonable people.

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

How is high latency ruining the game for everyone a xenophobic argument? Not my fault if China is on the opposite side of the planet 

In the case of PUBG I don't think latency is due to the Chinese, or at least not entirely... but splitting servers per region is a common practice so I don't see why not.

14 minutes ago, Mattson said:

EDIT:  Full disclosure, I'm all for region locking but I don't call the whole of China 'men without honor or morals' like most of the people I've engaged on the subject tend to do.

Many (if not most) multiplayer games have separate region servers to reduce connection lag and offer a smoother experience, it's nothing new and it has nothing to do with racial hate (usually).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey @Mattson, just to fully adhere to our Tech News and Reviews format, can you put the quote from the source in quotes?

Like this

"People convicted of disrupting computer networks face five years’ imprisonment or more under Chinese law. "

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Many (if not most) multiplayer games have separate region servers to reduce connection lag

They do.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

it's nothing new and it has nothing to do with racial hate

I never said it wasn't and never said they do.

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

3 minutes ago, Mattson said:

Language barrier (this is critical in a communicative game), higher latency and higher susceptibility to cheating (60% of the game's player-base is from China; most of the cheats originate from there) are the three main reasons I would like to see a region lock put in place.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Steam should take note.. VAC bans are just a slap on the wrist

IDK about arresting people, but games are super laid back about cheaters and most find it pretty easy to repeat the cheat account after account if it comes to that

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes I had to look it up. So that word is basically racist, xenophobia is racism!

It's actually a bit more complex than that.  Generally speaking, if the hate is due to biological factors its racism but if the reasons for the hate are due to cultural or nationalistic reasons its xenophobia.

2 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

Language barrier (this is critical in a communicative game), higher latency and higher susceptibility to cheating (60% of the game's player-base is from China; most of the cheats originate from there) are the three main reasons I would like to see a region lock put in place.

The first reason is the reason why I'm all about the region lock... random matchmaking is basically pointless.  You get chinese people who can't speak English.  What I do in these situations is drop hot and broadcast to proximity chat that my teammate is Chinese.

1 minute ago, Mattson said:

but if the reasons for the hate are due to cultural or nationalistic reasons its xenophobia.

Based on what you typed, I would argue that point, but wont get into it here. Maybe we are both partly right, maybe Im wrong. Its my job to google the true definition if I so want to.

Well that seems a bit hard even from China for a crime that's not really directly causing anybody to lose money (Making the game less desirable is tangentially related at best)

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Its my job to google the true definition if I so want to.

Do whatever you want... xenophobia usually is connected with racism but there is a clear distinction.

1 minute ago, Mattson said:

Do whatever you want... xenophobia usually is connected with racism but there is a clear distinction.

Definition - Xenophobia refers to dislike or fearing unknown or something that is different from you.

Nationalism and Cultural is racism!

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well that seems a bit hard even from China for a crime that's not really directly causing anybody to lose money (Making the game less desirable is tangentially related at best)

What are you talking about... did you not see the graph?  The amount of owners of the game has increased but the amount of concurrent players has remained stagnant.

-1x-1.png

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Xenophobia refers to dislike or fearing unknown or something that is different from you.

What... that's not xenophobia... that's straight up fear.