New build. What can I improve?

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
46 minutes ago, lleu said:

Budget (including currency): 4k ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: various games, web browsing, maybe streaming but probably not. 

Other details: Gave my last computer to my brother when I went over the road as a truck driver.  Now I'm home on the weekends so I need a new one. Looking to game at 1440 or 4k in some titles.  The motherboard listened is wrong, pc part picker does have the project zero board for some reason.  I'd really like to use that unless there's a compelling reason why I shouldn't.   I love the look of the tower 300 case, that's the only part listed that I won't consider changing.  Any other suggestions are welcome! 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kVxkBL

The Project 0 board won't work in the case, it needs special holes to plug everything on the back, only a few cases are compatible with it 

I won't use aluminium TP  as it's conductive, and really the 7800X3D don't even need an AIO, I would at least get a cheaper one (Arctic LF3, TR Frozen Notte etc)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: various games, web browsing, maybe streaming but probably not. 

Other details: Gave my last computer to my brother when I went over the road as a truck driver.  Now I'm home on the weekends so I need a new one. Looking to game at 1440 or 4k in some titles.  The motherboard listened is wrong, pc part picker does have the project zero board for some reason.  I'd really like to use that unless there's a compelling reason why I shouldn't.   I love the look of the tower 300 case, that's the only part listed that I won't consider changing.  Any other suggestions are welcome! 

9 minutes ago, lleu said:

I'd really like to use that unless there's a compelling reason why I shouldn't.

Case compatibility. These Project Zero or BTF boards have pretty mediocre case compatibility as of now, so unless you're willing to go at it with a dremel to make it fit in the case, this motherboard probably isn't going to fit just eyeballing photos of the Tower 300. These cables don't improve the look of the system enough to justify going through it IMO. 

Alright, as for everything else:

1. This AIO is way more expensive than it needs to be. You don't really need an AIO for a 7800X3D as that chip is so easy to cool, and so you can save money by going for a 240mm AIO instead or just going for a cheaper AIO that will be better anyway like the Arctic Liquid Freezer series. 
  2. Don't get aftermarket thermal paste, the stuff that comes with the cooler will be more than good enough. 
  3. I wouldn't really recommend the Corsair Vengeance RGB unless you're very heavily invested in the Corsair RGB ecosystem, there are plenty of kits that are just as good that will save you a bit of money as well. 
  4. The Samsung 990 Pro has been known to have some issues, so unless you're getting a killer deal on it I'd probably try to avoid it. You also really don't need a drive this fast, there just isn't a noticeable difference outside of actual professional work. 
  5. If you're just going to be gaming, it's worth at least looking at going AMD instead. The 7900 XTX is a bit faster in traditionally rastered games than the 4080, though not by much, while being about $100 cheaper. 
  6. Not personally that big a fan of those fans. The Arctic P12 RGB is both cheaper and performs better, they just make more sense IMO. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBgK9c

This system is about $500 cheaper without really sacrificing anything. 

only real critique i have is the ssd as its pretty horrible value and you can get a cheaper ssd with equivalent performance like the verbatom vi7000g for 87$ less or you can get a much faster ssd like the crucial t700 for 76$ more cause the 990 pro isnt fast enough to justify >50$ more compared to ssds with comparable performance and anyone that actually needs a fast ssd would go for a gen 5 like the crucial t700 not a slow gen 4 like the 990 pro

board may also have compatibility issues with the case if the case isnt designed for it

not gonna go over value as you clearly have more than enough cash to simply do whatever the hell you want without giving a crap so i only go over glaring issues and otherwise build seems to have none (psu has a 10 year warranty, gpu albiet abit lacking for this budget is fine, cpu is top of the line for gaming)

46 minutes ago, lleu said:

The Project 0 board won't work in the case, it needs special holes to plug everything on the back, only a few cases are compatible with it 

I won't use aluminium TP  as it's conductive, and really the 7800X3D don't even need an AIO, I would at least get a cheaper one (Arctic LF3, TR Frozen Notte etc)

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

the 7800x3D chip, isn't that hard to cool for the most part, but if you care about aesthetics you can use AIO,

you can get good quality 35$ Air Tower cooler for 7800x3D.

The RAM price can go down to 90-100$ for 32GB of DDR5

The MB can be as low as 150$.

And as @RONOTHAN## has in his build, Arctic case fans reasonably priced and still good. Same with AIO decent performance for cheap, cheaper than mine.

Also you don't need special thermal paste with this CPU, new coolers should come with pre-applied paste or container that has just enough paste for the one time applying.

Finally GPU and SSD, XTX can be cheaper or faster, it has 24GB VRAM which is better for high resolutions and graphics.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($344.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III A-RGB 69.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-6 4 g Thermal Paste  ($6.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B650M-A WIFI II Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($226.02 @ MemoryC)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($916.75 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake The Tower 300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32.0" 3840 x 2160 240 Hz Curved Monitor  ($849.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3205.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-23 09:33 EDT-0400

And then if I use cheapest parts possible while using all your criteria, it's going to be this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($344.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($149.69 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($94.97 @ B&H)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($233.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($916.75 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake The Tower 300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32.0" 3840 x 2160 240 Hz Curved Monitor  ($849.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2914.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-23 09:36 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I won't use aluminium TP  as it's conductive

apparently it's not conductive if you read the description of the paste, but special paste isn't much useful for x3D chips anyways, unless you're overclocking

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Case compatibility. These Project Zero or BTF boards have pretty mediocre case compatibility as of now, so unless you're willing to go at it with a dremel to make it fit in the case, this motherboard probably isn't going to fit just eyeballing photos of the Tower 300. These cables don't improve the look of the system enough to justify going through it IMO. 

Alright, as for everything else:

1. This AIO is way more expensive than it needs to be. You don't really need an AIO for a 7800X3D as that chip is so easy to cool, and so you can save money by going for a 240mm AIO instead or just going for a cheaper AIO that will be better anyway like the Arctic Liquid Freezer series. 
  2. Don't get aftermarket thermal paste, the stuff that comes with the cooler will be more than good enough. 
  3. I wouldn't really recommend the Corsair Vengeance RGB unless you're very heavily invested in the Corsair RGB ecosystem, there are plenty of kits that are just as good that will save you a bit of money as well. 
  4. The Samsung 990 Pro has been known to have some issues, so unless you're getting a killer deal on it I'd probably try to avoid it. You also really don't need a drive this fast, there just isn't a noticeable difference outside of actual professional work. 
  5. If you're just going to be gaming, it's worth at least looking at going AMD instead. The 7900 XTX is a bit faster in traditionally rastered games than the 4080, though not by much, while being about $100 cheaper. 
  6. Not personally that big a fan of those fans. The Arctic P12 RGB is both cheaper and performs better, they just make more sense IMO. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBgK9c

This system is about $500 cheaper without really sacrificing anything. 

I've checked the compatibility of the project zero board, while the case isn't listed as officially compatible, the board does fit properly. 

The AIO is more for asthetics than anything else.  I went with a thermaltake because I need reversable fans and I'm not aware of another company that does them. 

I'll nix the thermal paste. 

The ram was mostly another asthetics choice but I know it's also a trusted brand. I'm definitely open to other options though. 

The ssd came down to my limited knowledge. 

I was thinking about swapping to the 7900xtx because I do plan on doing some pcvr gaming and I've heard that it's the better choice.  My reasoning for the 4080 was ray tracing though. I'll give the 7900 another look. 

I'll take a look at those fans. 

I really appreciate the in depth review, thank you so much! 

26 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

The case isn't listed as officially compatible, but I've watch a build guide using it and it does work. 

26 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

precisely, the MSI website does include list, and Thermaltake 300 is not on the list:

image.thumb.png.abe7573f598ec0132f91bbcbe780c8fe.png

2 minutes ago, lleu said:

I've checked the compatibility of the project zero board, while the case isn't listed as officially compatible, the board does fit properly.

the board doesn't fit, the CPU power intake will get blocked, you will get 0 ways to plug in power:

image.png.2ff228312896924b2f39df98b2cbde76.png

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Just now, lleu said:

The case isn't listed as officially compatible, but I've watch a build guide using it and it does work. 

really? are you sure it used the project zero board with backwards 8pin CPU connectors?

current PC:

PCs I used before:

7 minutes ago, lleu said:

There are some tight fits, but yes, it works. https://youtu.be/uBZM-iSup1A?si=1I2M1fPR1bLA2OQB

alright, if you're up to wrestle with the tight fits and stuff and struggle of building it that way, then sure the MB can work,

if you have any more questions feel free to ask, lot of simple things I've covered in my first comment

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

alright, if you're up to wrestle with the tight fits and stuff and struggle of building it that way, then sure the MB can work,

if you have any more questions feel free to ask, lot of simple things I've covered in my first comment

I appreciate the responses!  I'll definitely be taking another look at my build and considering quite a few of your suggestions.