Apple Rises to Become World's Fourth-Largest PC Maker With Around 20M Macs Sold Last Year

Cuzza

All that with having the microphone on the back of iMac.

In 2017 Mac sales increased to nearly 20 million (19,661 units shipped), according to the latest estimates shared by research firms IDC and Gartner.

The roughly 19.6 million total is based on Apple's reported Mac sales of 13.9 million units in the first three calendar quarters of the year, while IDC and Gartner estimate Apple sold another 5.4 million to 5.7 million Macs in the fourth quarter. We'll know exactly how many Macs were sold in 2017 when Apple reports its next earnings results on February 1.

Source: MacRumors.com
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/12/apple-sold-around-20m-macs-in-2017/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=front

Hmm. I'd have thought it'd be higher.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's actually quite impressive considering it is a hard market to break and it wasn't that long ago that they were in the "other" category not even having enough market share to warrant a mention.   I would assume (yes that's right I assumed), that with the general trend of laptops getting cheaper (people not needing bigger faster better) that Acer have lost their market edge (being cheap).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Who's number one?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Now where is that Mac mini refresh? ?

I consider it as one of the best home theater PCs assuming a lot of your media is in iTunes but instead of buying a separate Apple TV, a Mac mini can hit two birds with one stone. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Please update your thread to match the pinned requirements

14 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Who's number one?

HP are no. 1 followed by lenovo then dell then apple and lastly acer/asus in a statistical tie. 

Actually looking at the stats, what happened was acer and asus lost 8% and 11% market share respectively while apple gained 7.3%.  So it was as much acer and asus having issues as it was growth on apples part.   Not to take the wind out of apples sales as they did grow market share. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple has a bit of an advantage in the PC market: because it focuses almost exclusively on high end consumers, its shipments aren't as volatile as with the PC brands that have to compete on price and serve businesses (who are notorious for holding on to PCs for as long as possible).  So it may never achieve the heights of HP or Dell, but it also doesn't tend to see wild swings.

Say whatever you want about apple, but the company produce straight out the best hardware design and build out of the competition especially the new macbook pro. I find people using mac also don't seem to have any problem after 3+ years of usage compared to windows laptop.

I probably wouldn't ever leave windows for my desktop since I play games but I'm strongly considering getting a macbook pro 13" since nothing is as good

Of course! With all the crap happing with Windows 10 it was bound to happen. Not wanting to deal with Windows 10 on a device that’s even more important than my Desktop was the main reason I bought a 13” MacBook Pro. 

That and also the new Macs are visually sexy and their ad campaign for the Mac (while limited for some reason) is very effective and probably brought a lot of people over.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Of course! With all the crap happing with Windows 10 it was bound to happen. Not wanting to deal with Windows 10 on a device that’s even more important than my Desktop was the main reason I bought a 13” MacBook Pro. 

That and also the new Macs are visually sexy and their ad campaign for the Mac (while limited for some reason) is very effective and probably brought a lot of people over.

Um, if you look at the figures, acer only had to hold there sales and they would have been in front of apple, same with Asus. HP gained more market share than apple. It's got nothing to do with windows and more todo with consumers buying more in the top teir brackets.

Just now, mr moose said:

Um, if you look at the figures, acer only had to hold there sales and they would have been in front of apple, same with Asus. HP gained more market share than apple. It's got nothing to do with windows and more todo with consumers buying more in the top teir brackets.

Ummmm, ok? Did I say anything about Apple stealing market share from anyone? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Ummmm, ok? Did I say anything about Apple stealing market share from anyone? 

Yes,

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Of course! With all the crap happing with Windows 10 it was bound to happen.

If you are not insinuating people are buying macs because there is "crap happing with windows" sic. then I don't think there is any other way to interpret that statement.

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

Say whatever you want about apple, but the company produce straight out the best hardware design and build out of the competition especially the new macbook pro. I find people using mac also don't seem to have any problem after 3+ years of usage compared to windows laptop.

I probably wouldn't ever leave windows for my desktop since I play games but I'm strongly considering getting a macbook pro 13" since nothing is as good

They make good latops but to say they are the best would be an opinion and one that many would disagree on. Honestly their newer laptops really suck for the price and that compared to previous apple pricing which has always been kinda overpriced. I mean the build quality is there but the hardware inside is mediocre for how much you have to spend on it.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you are not insinuating people are buying macs because there is "crap happing with windows"

People have always bought Macs to get away from Microsoft, hell thats why it was created. 

You are damn right people are buying Macs because of Microsoft, they always have been. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

People have always bought Macs to get away from Microsoft, hell thats why it was created. 

You are damn right people are buying Macs because of Microsoft, they always have been. 

Please,  you didn't read the article or look at the figures, you made a comment that isn't based on anything other than emotionally driven assumption and now you expect me to believe your initial assumption is right because you think people only buy macs to get away from windows? Even though the figures don't suggest that at all.  It's a growing market.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly their newer laptops really suck for the price and that compared to previous apple pricing which has always been kinda overpriced. I mean the build quality is there but the hardware inside is mediocre for how much you have to spend on it.

Ehh would have to disagree. While true that the new Macs are more expensive that’s for a valid reason, their component performance outside of CPUs dwarf the 2015 models, they have TouchBars now, and a lot of creature comfort upgrades. The price increase is justified even if you might not like it, it obviously didn’t stop the platform from growing. 

As for the components you are going to be hard pressed to find a Laptop with the same build quality and sleekness with better specs. 

And you don’t have to spend money on anything, I prefer the Mac and am willing to pay for it. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ehh would have to disagree. While true that the new Macs are more expensive that’s for a valid reason, their component performance outside of CPUs dwarf the 2015 models, they have TouchBars now, and a lot of creature comfort upgrades. The price increase is justified even if you might not like it, it obviously didn’t stop the platform from growing. 

As for the components you are going to be hard pressed to find a Laptop with the same build quality and sleekness with better specs. 

And you don’t have to spend money on anything, I prefer the Mac and am willing to pay for it. 

Yeah I honestly don't see how any of those features are even useful. I mean they should have put in a better gpu even if it increased the already expensive price because at that point the extra price would be marginal. 

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

now you expect me to believe your initial assumption is right because you think people only buy macs to get away from windows?

Then why do people buy Macs? Is it because they cost more? Or is it because macOS offers something Windows doesn’t. 

I’d bet money it’s the ladder. 

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Even though the figures don't suggest that at all. 

Do market figures tell you why someone bought something? I thought that if they focused on why you bought something that would require surveys and data. 

Now I don’t have any data to backup my emotionally fueld position but it makes logical sense to me. 

Give consumers a choice and they will choose, many people have decided to go with the Mac for only one possible reason. It’s not design, there are plenty of computers with just as good looks. So all that’s left is the OS and the brand and the attraction associated with those things compared to Windows and Microsoft. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean they should have put in a better gpu even if it increased the already expensive price because at that point the extra price would be marginal.

Why would they? FinalCut doesn’t need a powerful GPU to make Premiere on PC seem like a snail running on significantly better hardware. 

Apple puts in practical hardware, they don’t fill out spec sheets to brag about. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why would they? FinalCut doesn’t need a powerful GPU to make Premiere on PC seem like a snail running on significantly better hardware. 

Apple puts in practical hardware, they don’t fill out spec sheets to brag about. 

Damn autocorrect. I meant cpu not gpu. My phone autocorrects to gpu every time I type cpu. 

Then why do people buy Macs? Is it because they cost more? Or is it because macOS offers something Windows doesn’t. 

I’d bet money it’s the ladder. 

horses for courses,  People buy different machines for all sorts of different reasons.

Do market figures tell you why someone bought something? I thought they focused on why you bought something and that requires surveys and data. 

But you assumed this new data meant people were moving from windows. Now you understanding the figures don't say that right

Give consumers a choice and they will choose, many people have decided to go with the Mac for only one possible reason. It’s not design, there are plenty of computers with just as good looks. So all that’s left is the OS and the brand and the attraction associated with those things compared to Windows and Microsoft. 

For gods sake, people just chose what's best for their needs.  I was not the one making assumptions about people leaving windows in this thread, you did that all by yourself.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

But you assumed this new data meant people were moving from windows.

I assumed people were deciding to not buy a Windows Laptop, that doesn’t mean people had them already and are switching. In fact all it means is that some people just don’t want to deal with Windows anymore, and that’s true. 

Yeah I saw an increase of Mac sales and assumed they took a peice of the market from someone else, but even if they didn’t they still grew their market for some series of reasons. One of which is probably the reason I gave about people not wanting Windows anymore. 

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I would assume (yes that's right I assumed), that with the general trend of laptops getting cheaper (people not needing bigger faster better) that Acer have lost their market edge (being cheap).

But that doesn't explain the increase in demand for ludicrously expensive fashion statements.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But that doesn't explain the increase in demand for ludicrously expensive fashion statements.

“People are just spending more money” I believe is the reason he gave.