A computer programmer from Ohio was indicted for spying Mac users for 13 years

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Code can even infect linux, that on its own is impressive.

Not really.

5 hours ago, Phentos said:

since Mac OS and Linux are fairly closely related (both based on Unix).

OSX is Unix through and through, but Linux's basis in Unix is extremely shallow: Linux is supposed to only deliver similar results as BSD but completely avoid the proprietary and patented/patent pending methodology behind it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

28-year-old Phillip R. Durachinsky

So, is that his current age? Because that means he started all this when he was 15.... in 2003...

When I was that age i was still eating glue and mu- erimean what? 

Seriously, guys an asshole but man is that smart

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So, is that his current age? Because that means he started all this when he was 15.... in 2003...

When I was that age i was still eating glue and mu- erimean what? 

Seriously, guys an asshole but man is that smart

I think so. But man he's only 2 years older than me and he was able to craft a spying malware at the age of 15. Meanwhile, back when I was 15 I was fighting with my parents when the telephone line because dial up internet sucks and I still eat on candy and chocolate and watch a few anime. xD

Maybe instead I should've just studied Metasploit in Kali Linux instead at that age

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

no wonder things like this happened to PCs 20 years ago xD

payload_I_love_you-641x330.gif

Its sad that the effort put behind emails then is as absent as with current spam :P (Sure they may use different and more ingenious exploits, but the coat of paint is still crap)

So much effort to report on such a small topic.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When was the last time someone managed to spy on unsuspecting people using their Mac for 13 years, collecting vast amounts of data which will cause him to face numerous charges , remained undetected by all these users and was created by a single person , not a government agency or hacking group?

It is a sizeable topic.

8 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

no wonder things like this happened to PCs 20 years ago xD

payload_I_love_you-641x330.gif

That person sent that to themselves, using another one their e-mail accounts. Much like this

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

You are just mad because it contain security flaws in OSX arnt you? 

Security flaws in any OS are a given. I’m just surprised at the effort put into the post on a topic like this. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Security flaws in any OS are a given. I’m just surprised at the effort put into the post on a topic like this. 

I am glad when people spend time on news articles. But again, you only bring this up because its apple related. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

you only bring this up because its apple related. 

I’m sure 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am glad when people spend time on news articles. But again, you only bring this up because its apple related. 

He'd be complaining the post doesn't go far enough if it was about Windows

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hey I lived there

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’m sure 

Why else would you complain about a nicely written news article. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Why else would you complain about a nicely written news article. 

I didn’t complain, I only said it was a lot of effort for such a small topic. 

Im not arguing against the content of the post. 

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

He'd be complaining the post doesn't go far enough if it was about Windows

?

How would the malware actually get on user's Mac OS? According to the article about the permission to install, should the user not have been alerted of this? Surely there must be some smart people out there? (aka people who use linustechtips.com) ;)

you: see you

me, an intellectual: Copper

8 hours ago, tjcater said:

Its sad that the effort put behind emails then is as absent as with current spam :P (Sure they may use different and more ingenious exploits, but the coat of paint is still crap)

My dad's PC is actually one of the millions who got infected by the ILOVEYOU virus back in the day which is very simple as it's mostly a single strip of code kinda like the one below and all it can do is replicate annoyingly unlike malware today which are very destructive.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

2 hours ago, linus69 said:

How would the malware actually get on user's Mac OS? According to the article about the permission to install, should the user not have been alerted of this? Surely there must be some smart people out there? (aka people who use linustechtips.com) ;)

No one knows as the DOJ hasn't given details. I'm guessing it's the typical social engineering via visiting an infected site or injecting the malware within webpages and later using drive by download attack. 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

By so much effort you mean I typed a long commentary on the subject matter? And I don't think a security issue that lasted for 13 years especially cyberespionage isn't something to be ignored notwithstanding the fact that the source code is compatible to both macOS and Linux and cybercriminals can take advantage of the source code and make it more nefarious next time. It's just like the Shadow Brokers dump that lead to WannaCry and NotPetya/ExPetr. 

It's a sign that A.) Mac users need to run an anti-virus in their computers and B.) Apple needs to step up their security by adding a built in AV just like Windows Defender.

Any OS is vulnerable to malware if the user actively downloads and installs it.  What people tend to forget is malware can also sneak in without you even realizing it using an exploit.  I think this is the kind people mean when they say "Macs don't get viruses", since (true or not) there is a perception that Unix-based systems don't have, or have far fewer vulnerabilities than Windows.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure every system has been vulnerable at some point or another in the last decade, so the most amazing thing about this isn't that it could happen but that it went undetected for so long.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

My dad's PC is actually one of the millions who got infected by the ILOVEYOU virus back in the day which is very simple as it's mostly a single strip of code kinda like the one below and all it can do is replicate annoyingly unlike malware today which are very destructive.

Good thing it was harmless, but dang those numbers (For spam mail that is). It annoys me that most spam emails with these types of attachments are so poorly written yet work well enough. (The message, not the exploit) Why can't spam authors write better spam ?

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

No one knows as the DOJ hasn't given details. I'm guessing it's the typical social engineering via visiting an infected site or injecting the malware within webpages and later using drive by download attack. 

By so much effort you mean I typed a long commentary on the subject matter? And I don't think a security issue that lasted for 13 years especially cyberespionage isn't something to be ignored notwithstanding the fact that the source code is compatible to both macOS and Linux and cybercriminals can take advantage of the source code and make it more nefarious next time. It's just like the Shadow Brokers dump that lead to WannaCry and NotPetya/ExPetr. 

It's a sign that A.) Mac users need to run an anti-virus in their computers and B.) Apple needs to step up their security by adding a built in AV just like Windows Defender.

in before "apple already does better than MS with gatekeeper and if you don't get third party software from just the app store, you're holding it wrong" defence

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Good thing it was harmless, but dang those numbers (For spam mail that is). It annoys me that most spam emails with these types of attachments are so poorly written yet work well enough. (The message, not the exploit) Why can't spam authors write better spam ?

Spam emails nowadays are much more clever unlike ILOVEYOU which will just annoy you. Let's say you own a company and you're currently hiring new employees. Me as an attacker can craft a job application that looks legit attached with either a word document containing a macro or a PDF file that contains a .exe inside which serves as the fake CV. Then I make a burner email from protonmail and send it to your human resources. Once the HR opens my fake job application including the attachment, the malware I made could either deliver a ransomware payload which will spread through the entire corporate network or an espionage malware to sniff login credentials and personal information just like in the OP or exploit CVEs such as SMB or Kerberos and later sell what I collected to the highest bidder or send your company to bankruptcy.

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

in before "apple already does better than MS with gatekeeper and if you don't get third party software from just the app store, you're holding it wrong" defence

If only the Mac App Store is as bountiful as the iOS App Store. If the guy was using a vulnerability to deliver his spying malware, then it's an oversight from Apple for having an unpatched vulnerability persist for 13 years.

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Let's say you own a company and you're currently hiring new employees. Me as an attacker can craft a job application that looks legit attached with either a word document containing a macro or a PDF file that contains a .exe inside which serves as the fake CV. Then I make a burner email from protonmail and send it to your human resources.

I guess I'm not the target of decently made emails :P Most of mine usually are fake student aid/loans, medicine/insurance, or some crappy I love you or want to get laid. A third of them have weird have weird text formatting issues, others have crappy assets that are worse than something I could put together in a matter of minutes (Like seriously, it seems like most of these non targeted emails were done by children), then comes those that scream "I didn't even try to convince you to open this attachment". Sucks for me being an undesirable target ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Me as an attacker can craft a job application that looks legit attached with either a word document containing a macro or a PDF file that contains a .exe inside which serves as the fake CV. Then I make a burner email from protonmail and send it to your human resources. Once the HR opens my fake job application including the attachment, the malware I made could either deliver a ransomware payload which will spread through the entire corporate network or an espionage malware to sniff login credentials and personal information just like in the OP or exploit CVEs such as SMB or Kerberos and later sell what I collected to the highest bidder or send your company to bankruptcy.

Asides for the last part, basically what happened in my company last year. Thankfully, the system we use for resumes is isolated from anything important.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.