EV and more environmentally health future?

Eduard the weeb

38 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Electric cars may seem more environmentally friendly but you're just burning the gas elsewhere and although the car may not have many emissions, the power plant sure does.

Power plants have a higher fuel to electricity conversion rates and can incorporate technology to make them cleaner then the car burning the fuel its self. This is even considering power line transmission loss.  Plus, electric cars do not carry around large quantities of oil for lubrication.  A portion of this oil leaks or dumped directly in to the environment.  Fuel and oil spills from accidents regularly happen in my area.  Solid state batteries expected in the future should address the battery safety issues and environmental concerns in the future. 

On 1/9/2018 at 9:35 AM, johnukguy said:

Electric cars will be the mainstream within fifteen years, at least in the EU and outside of the US. The US is often way behind with such things so it may well take longer there.

US internet speeds compared to pretty much anywhere in asia other then north korea

me lost at my own thread because I don't know much about cars lol

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

why you think so?

The battery technology is not very good, charging stations would have to been added to nearly every parking lot and parking space, the electricity is STILL produced not using environmentally friendly methods. Having electric cars has no purpose when the methods used to produce electricity are not environmentally friendly.  

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's not even remotely true.

Anyone outside of America that knows anything about cars, knows that is true.

11 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

God you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ok, if you ever have the possibility try a Ford Fiesta that's made for America and one that's made for the European market and then tell me how that is.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Anyone outside of America that knows nothing about cars, knows that is true.

Fixed.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

The battery technology is not very good, charging stations would have to been added to nearly every parking lot and parking space, the electricity is STILL produced not using environmentally friendly methods. Having electric cars has no purpose when the methods used to produce electricity are not environmentally friendly.  

to be fair. power from coal is still better than the combustion engines. and electric cars are very popular. how many times do you drive more than the maximum range of an electric car? or anyone for that matter

EDIT: And of your going that far. arent you going to have a 30 minute break somewhere to eat. all you need really is wallplug charging and regurarly placed charging spots along highways where there are food stops

Edited by GoldenLag
more stuff

yo guys please don't argue about how know what the truth is America and every other countries has people who know alot and don't know a bit about cars.

@NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle

the US it self pretty much made the truck industry and those are considered great and most militarizes only use US brand vehicles for combat and that speaks to how good and tough they are if almost every modern military uses or copies them because off that 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

to be fair. power from coal is still better than the combustion engines. and electric cars are very popular. how many times do you drive more than the maximum range of an electric car? or anyone for that matter

EDIT: And of your going that far. arent you going to have a 30 minute break somewhere to eat. all you need really is wallplug charging and regurarly placed charging spots along highways where there are food stops

*41 mile one way commute*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

If the miles are good and they try to push for more electric charging stations then yeah.

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Ok, if you ever have the possibility try a Ford Fiesta that's made for America and one that's made for the European market and then tell me how that is.

They're built the same bruh, I've been in both.

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Under the hood, they're identical.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I see that you're from America, so I presume you drove American cars, if so then I agree with you simply because the Americans cannot build cars.

Tesla, the current poster-child, is from America... let that sink in.

17 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

No they're not.

I see that you're from America, so I presume you drove American cars, if so then I agree with you simply because the Americans cannot build cars.

If not, then you're still clinging to the old mentality of those who think that real drivers are only those who drive with a manual gearbox.

Manual gearboxes have absolutely no advantages over automatic ones, unless the automatic is poorly made which in some cars it is.

The only reason they still exist is because they're cheap to produce.

What? Some of the best cars on the market today are American... 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

*41 mile one way commute*

70 mile range on the Nissan Leaf 2012. Charge while working............. a lot of places have plugs at their parking lots. The 2017 model claims to have 150 mile ranges. Though assume battery degredation and some other losses. you could expect 120-130 guaranteed range. 

The Range of the cars is getting very good, not to mention the infrastructure is adapting. If the Goverment in [insert your countries here] deside to speed up the building of infrastructure and slightly subsidizes the cars you could expect very good infrastructure in a 5-10 year time. Thats at least whats happening In Norway where Electric is very viable even on longer commutes due to readily avavible charging location at their work. Some cities are more than 400 km away from eachother, but a 30 minute stop to eat and thats no issue. 

The electric car might not be the best choice for you atm, but seeing the advances made the few years its very reasonable to assume that it will in the near future

On 1/9/2018 at 5:38 PM, arnavvr said:

What? Some of the best cars on the market today are American... 

Except from the Tesla, and the Tesla is a very nice car. There is very few good or amazing cars in america compared to Europe, China, Japan and other countries. It might have to do with the differenc in number of manufacturers, but I would have an electric Nissan instead of an electric Ford or Tesla, but thats just my opinion.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:01 PM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Manual gearboxes have absolutely no advantages over automatic ones

hmmmmmm then why do race cars have manual trans?

1) they are stronger

2) they can deal with very high HP and Torque

3) they are better with fuel milage

On 1/10/2018 at 2:45 AM, Canada EH said:

hmmmmmm then why do race cars have manual trans?

1) they are stronger

2) they can deal with very high HP and Torque

3) they are better with fuel milage

why have a transmission at all when you can have a generator and an electric engine powering the wheels

Example: https://www.koenigsegg.com/regera/

or any hybrid car ever (dont quote me, there may be some hybrid car without an electric transmission)

The gearbox is heavy and an waste of energy. (i dunno the convertion rates to electric and back or the energyloss in the transmission. doesnt change that the gearbox eats some power)

And when it comes to handling horsepower its just a matter of being willing to design a gearbox to handle it. Most large horsepower cars have manual due to the appeal of sports cars. (im talking 500 hp+)

Race cars need to be abke to change gear at the will of the driver.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:58 AM, GoldenLag said:

Race cars need to be abke to change gear at the will of the driver.

yes, its more then that tho

On 1/10/2018 at 2:51 AM, GoldenLag said:

electric

actually its called a motor not an engine, and yes you dont need a typical transmission to go electric. The gear box alone wastes a ton of energy, its for torque to propel heavy vehicles, even direct drive ebikes have gearing, its the wheel, a smaller wheel nets you higher torque and slower speed, but you can only go so far for a smaller wheel because then you comprimise the ability to roll over objects. If you are talking mid-drive ebike, then the gearing is in the gears you use on the motor, on the crank and on the rear freewheel or cassette. Most all diy'ers who convert a vehicle to electric on a budget are using used forklift motors. The major cost is of course the battery. That is why for us hobbyists the more ev's on the road the better because something as simple as a broken controller they tend to sell it on, its the typical first worlder problem, but we hobbyists can snap up their batteries for uber cheap and do what we want with them.

On that note, when it comes to repairs, electric is ultra easy to diagnose and fix compared to a internal combustion vehicle. On one hand you have a handful of items, the battery, the battery management system, wiring, controller and motor. The list of regular automobile parts is endless and you need to know each component and have a chest full of 100 or so tools, whereas the electric vehicles requires some wires to fix say phase or halls, a 60+W soldering iron and a small toolbox of a dozen or so tools. If a FET smokes and dies, you can replace that easily enough, if a hall sensor breaks its an uber easy fix. Compared to a rear main seal job, cracked cylinder head, a critical sensor costing hundred of buckaroons.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:22 PM, Eduard the weeb said:

@NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle

the US it self pretty much made the truck industry and those are considered great and most militarizes only use US brand vehicles for combat and that speaks to how good and tough they are if almost every modern military uses or copies them because off that 

well a close look at some modern militaries show that, 1. they almost allways use selfmanufactured trucks, see Germany, France and Sweden and their neighbors use vehicles from their neighbor country, see Norway. You could argue that they are copies, but there are only so many ways you could manufacture trucks and there is supposed to be some sort of standardization in the NATO alliance. It makes sence due to logistics of war.......... And people buying from the US is often related to them having a oversized budget and buying long investments makes sence from them. Sadly trucks arent a part of that. at least in the mentioned militaries. 

On 1/10/2018 at 1:25 PM, Canada EH said:

actually its called a motor not an engine

i knew something was wrong with the word electric engine........ couldnt put my fineger on it

On 1/10/2018 at 1:25 PM, Canada EH said:

.........yes you dont need a typical transmission to go electric........

That is what is quite great about the electric motor, its really a lot better than the typical mechanical transmission. But there is no question combustion engines are here to stay, but things like hybrid cars or electric transmission is bound to be more common with the years. 

electric motors in the wheels is a thing

electric motor as apart of the fly wheel is a thing

On 1/7/2018 at 8:56 PM, Eduard the weeb said:

So recently there has been a really big push for electric cars and the future of them is looking more and more bright, so I was wondering wat up guys think about them

--SNIP--

Personally, I think that the current state of electric cars is great, but the concept and development in its' current form is kind of disappointing because we could have been miles ahead if the Oil & Gas Industry and GM themselves hadn't deliberately discontinued the EVI from the 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 8.1.2018 at 5:56 AM, Eduard the weeb said:

So recently there has been a really big push for electric cars and the future of them is looking more and more bright, so I was wondering wat up guys think about them, and maybe more ways to help reduce climate change 

like making meat harder to make EX pork or beef more expensive then chicken 

or

having higher priority of the national budget spent on helping reduce climate change and making stronger fines for things like littering or other things.

My own opinion 

Hide contents

so I really like the idea of cutting out gas to help the environment, but I know there is alot of better ways like getting rid of use once things like coffee cups at coffee shops, plastic bags at X store, takeout containers, and more is really were we should start because that effects the environment alot and if people bought more multiple use thing that replaced those one time things it would help with the fight against climate change alot.

another thing I think that should be started is in the increase of more renewable resources 

I think a good idea would be is if in more tropical places they began putting more there in rebuilding, like for EX if there is a hurricane that wipes out alot of power then getting solar panels down would make it so more people would have power and it would be healthier for the environment. 

you really want to hear my opinion? cause its not good. oh well here i go:

summary

Spoiler

it's too late. let that sink in a second. im not calling it a conspiracy theory but i think people in power are just too uneducated about the stuff because all the "environmentally healthy" stuff that gets support and funding isnt actually helping one bit but only ruining the economy.

i used to support it all yeahy electric cars and solar panels and all that but now ive come to find its all pointless were doomned and its our own fault.

electric cars

Spoiler

heres what im on about: electric cars sound good in theory lets not burn fossil fuel and use electric power but that electric power often times come from big coal power plants already. i read somewhere (cant remember where) that we only produce like 8% more power than we use so now we have people crying for the government to shut down coal plants and nuclear reactors but at the same time if everybody got an electric car tomorrow where do you think all that energy should come from. "well lets use wind and solar" is an answer i get usually but even if we could produce enough energy only using those methods the price would be way higher than now and nobody would be willing to pay that and if nobody pays for it then theres no money to build and expand said system. and i havent even mentioned that the prodution of the batterys needed for an electric car produces so much co2 that you would have to drive it for 120 000 km just to get even compared to a regular gas engine. plus tesla recently bought up virtually all stock of those types of batterys so now theres a shortage on the market and price inflation and so on.

solar

Spoiler

solar energy baiscally same thing although i havent readed that deep into it but i believe theres still a period of time such panels need to run before balancing out their production cost of co2 and by that time its almost time to replace them. but could be wrong.

litering

Spoiler

as far as litering goes thats just people being the stupid sheep they are. look at all the uneducated and i might dare say uneducatable. those people will do what they want and dont give a shit.

public transport

Spoiler

i think we should expand pubic transportation greatly. it may not be that much greener but the amount of people you can transport by train counter that. and altough we might not like it we should all stop driving cars if not necessary. like completely. i know its not gonna happen but there is no environmentally neutral mode of transportation right now.

food

Spoiler

also we should probably all become vegetarian (im serious) if we stopped eating meat and fish completely as a mankind just think of how much less farming we would have to do. im told those giant cow and pig farms produce alot of gas as well but havent really looked into it.

escape

Spoiler

or lets just make mars or some other planet livable and only send the greenest hippies and all the tree lovers up there and let the rest of us die in the grave we dug ourselves. if were honest with ourselves we deserve it.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

21 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

you really want to hear my opinion? cause its not good. oh well here i go:

summary

Reveal hidden contents

it's too late. let that sink in a second. im not calling it a conspiracy theory but i think people in power are just too uneducated about the stuff because all the "environmentally healthy" stuff that gets support and funding isnt actually helping one bit but only ruining the economy.

i used to support it all yeahy electric cars and solar panels and all that but now ive come to find its all pointless were doomned and its our own fault.

electric cars

Reveal hidden contents

heres what im on about: electric cars sound good in theory lets not burn fossil fuel and use electric power but that electric power often times come from big coal power plants already. i read somewhere (cant remember where) that we only produce like 8% more power than we use so now we have people crying for the government to shut down coal plants and nuclear reactors but at the same time if everybody got an electric car tomorrow where do you think all that energy should come from. "well lets use wind and solar" is an answer i get usually but even if we could produce enough energy only using those methods the price would be way higher than now and nobody would be willing to pay that and if nobody pays for it then theres no money to build and expand said system. and i havent even mentioned that the prodution of the batterys needed for an electric car produces so much co2 that you would have to drive it for 120 000 km just to get even compared to a regular gas engine. plus tesla recently bought up virtually all stock of those types of batterys so now theres a shortage on the market and price inflation and so on.

solar

Reveal hidden contents

solar energy baiscally same thing although i havent readed that deep into it but i believe theres still a period of time such panels need to run before balancing out their production cost of co2 and by that time its almost time to replace them. but could be wrong.

litering

Reveal hidden contents

as far as litering goes thats just people being the stupid sheep they are. look at all the uneducated and i might dare say uneducatable. those people will do what they want and dont give a shit.

public transport

Reveal hidden contents

i think we should expand pubic transportation greatly. it may not be that much greener but the amount of people you can transport by train counter that. and altough we might not like it we should all stop driving cars if not necessary. like completely. i know its not gonna happen but there is no environmentally neutral mode of transportation right now.

food

Reveal hidden contents

also we should probably all become vegetarian (im serious) if we stopped eating meat and fish completely as a mankind just think of how much less farming we would have to do. im told those giant cow and pig farms produce alot of gas as well but havent really looked into it.

escape

Reveal hidden contents

or lets just make mars or some other planet livable and only send the greenest hippies and all the tree lovers up there and let the rest of us die in the grave we dug ourselves. if were honest with ourselves we deserve it.

Solar panels are still under development, and yes i believe there is a certain running time before it is better thant coal, but that is rather short in comparison to the lifespan of these panels. with the advent of thinner pannels its bound to get a lot cheaper to manufacture.

In terms of the animal industry we should end all meat prouction and all Metane from cows and such should be harvested and burned into CO2 instead. 

In terms of ruining the economy it can be said that funding into green energy and alternative solution like Thorium instead or uranium and shutting down coal plants would create new jobs and industry. offcourse its not given this will save the economy, and give the people who lost their jobs, new jobs.  quick economic swing is expected to hurt a lot. Thats why most plans span 50 years of time. The subsidies some countries give to Coal power is making coal able to outcompete greener solutions like Uranium. Its not wierd the powerplants are still burning coal when new and greener energy cant fit onto the electricity net. a massive expansion of infrastructure would create a lot of jobs. Its never too late, with solar and battery production ramping up and the signs of shortages  (which are tempting markets for entreprenours) its a good step in the right direction. If we manage to get Communist China in on the change we could really turn the tables in a relativly short time, seing as they are communist and they could rappidly change the country. This offcourse would need international funding and we cant expect per say "CO2 neutral" Norway to sit there and do nothing. 

Its thinking that its too late or being pessimistic that we arent able to fix the mess that we are in that disscourages a lot of people. People thinking their economy will die as a resoult. there are a lot of countries that cant do this on their own, (and the US or Russian Or China isnt one of them), therefore we need international focus to do this properly without leaving someone behind and then blaming them for not following.

In my opinion offcourse, but electricity is the feuture

On 1/8/2018 at 4:56 AM, Eduard the weeb said:

So recently there has been a really big push for electric cars and the future of them is looking more and more bright, so I was wondering wat up guys think about them, and maybe more ways to help reduce climate change 

like making meat harder to make EX pork or beef more expensive then chicken 

or

having higher priority of the national budget spent on helping reduce climate change and making stronger fines for things like littering or other things.

My own opinion 

Reveal hidden contents

so I really like the idea of cutting out gas to help the environment, but I know there is alot of better ways like getting rid of use once things like coffee cups at coffee shops, plastic bags at X store, takeout containers, and more is really were we should start because that effects the environment alot and if people bought more multiple use thing that replaced those one time things it would help with the fight against climate change alot.

another thing I think that should be started is in the increase of more renewable resources 

I think a good idea would be is if in more tropical places they began putting more there in rebuilding, like for EX if there is a hurricane that wipes out alot of power then getting solar panels down would make it so more people would have power and it would be healthier for the environment. 

Great in concept but battery technology hasn't caught up with the idea. The range is appalling and the recharge time is stupidly long; it's a step BACKWARDS, not to mention it's no more economical int he grand scheme of things when it comes to making the batteries

7 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

Great in concept but battery technology hasn't caught up with the idea. The range is appalling and the recharge time is stupidly long; it's a step BACKWARDS, not to mention it's no more economical int he grand scheme of things when it comes to making the batteries

the more reason to invest in quickchargers around the world. 40% charge on a 24 kw/h battery on a nissan leaf in 15 min is not bad. The creation of batteries are becoming a lot better with the years. cost is being lowered and the viability for most people is as good as any combustion car, except its cheaper. you charge at home, and you very rarely need to stop by the gas station. for people in the city, this is the ultimate car. 

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Solar panels are still under development, and yes i believe there is a certain running time before it is better thant coal, but that is rather short in comparison to the lifespan of these panels. with the advent of thinner pannels its bound to get a lot cheaper to manufacture.

In terms of the animal industry we should end all meat prouction and all Metane from cows and such should be harvested and burned into CO2 instead. 

In terms of ruining the economy it can be said that funding into green energy and alternative solution like Thorium instead or uranium and shutting down coal plants would create new jobs and industry. offcourse its not given this will save the economy, and give the people who lost their jobs, new jobs.  quick economic swing is expected to hurt a lot. Thats why most plans span 50 years of time. The subsidies some countries give to Coal power is making coal able to outcompete greener solutions like Uranium. Its not wierd the powerplants are still burning coal when new and greener energy cant fit onto the electricity net. a massive expansion of infrastructure would create a lot of jobs. Its never too late, with solar and battery production ramping up and the signs of shortages  (which are tempting markets for entreprenours) its a good step in the right direction. If we manage to get Communist China in on the change we could really turn the tables in a relativly short time, seing as they are communist and they could rappidly change the country. This offcourse would need international funding and we cant expect per say "CO2 neutral" Norway to sit there and do nothing. 

Its thinking that its too late or being pessimistic that we arent able to fix the mess that we are in that disscourages a lot of people. People thinking their economy will die as a resoult. there are a lot of countries that cant do this on their own, (and the US or Russian Or China isnt one of them), therefore we need international focus to do this properly without leaving someone behind and then blaming them for not following.

In my opinion offcourse, but electricity is the feuture

although i do not share it, i do like your optimism. maybe i am pessimistic but thats just me and how ive always been.

i just cant imagine all this change happening under capitalism

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3