Tech Goals for 2018?

dizmo
34 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd take a gander at a 27" monitor before you get one, I bought one thinking I'd love it but I ended up hating it. Not sharp enough. I don't like most games on the Switch, but even I'm tempted to buy one just to play Zelda!

Good to know. BUT I used to use a 32" old school LCD TV as a monitor, and it was sharp enough for me. I would feel that the PC monitor might be slightly better. Also, if Pokemon does come to the Switch is a definite buy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/3/2018 at 2:48 AM, seon123 said:

Resist the urge to buy a new case.

Resist the urge to buy a new mouse.

Resist the urge to buy a new mouse pad.

Resist the urge to buy a new keyboard.

Resist the urge to buy an SSD.

Resist the urge to spend money on F2P games.

Resist the urge to buy a new CPU cooler.

So this will be me when I see a good sale on anything

Hide contents

634c7c77f0bed385a99710088f82b4ef--random

Yeah, same with me.  I need to slow down on hardware hoarding.

Instead, most of my goals this year is to finally get my lazy butt around getting a CCNA cert, Microsoft OS cert, and take that darn HAM technician test so I get my license to operate on those bands.  Plus, maybe get back to an Uni and get my Bachelor degree (unless I can land an IT job on a base).  Those the few goals I can say are related to tech, the rest are other interest and hobbies.  Especially, get myself back into drawing and painting regularly.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Mine is to go 4k or 1440 144hz.

New tablet as mine crashes when I stream on demand content for so long. It's running some god awful Intel processor.

Try to get my hands on a second VEGA 64 reference card to cross fire.

Mod my h500p with a mesh front and underglow. 

Get started steaming games because I'm playing them anyway and I have the PC for it.

New phone, maybe. Currently running a Sony Xperia x performance.

Link rgb lighting in the room my pc is in to match my desktop glow.

Also wouldn't mind some hardline in my system this year.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Damn that's not too shabby at all. I can't wait to start my ITX build next year.

Yeah i'm extremely impressed & I have all fans doing <1k RPM and my idle temps are in the mid 30's for both my GPU & CPU, and it is currently at the height of summer here in Australia.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Good to know. BUT I used to use a 32" old school LCD TV as a monitor, and it was sharp enough for me. I would feel that the PC monitor might be slightly better. Also, if Pokemon does come to the Switch is a definite buy. 

Haha, yeah then you should definitely be fine with a 27" monitor :P

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Mine is to go 4k or 1440 144hz.

New tablet as mine crashes when I stream on demand content for so long. It's running some god awful Intel processor.

Try to get my hands on a second VEGA 64 reference card to cross fire.

Mod my h500p with a mesh front and underglow.

Get started steaming games because I'm playing them anyway and I have the PC for it.

New phone, maybe. Currently running a Sony Xperia x performance.

Link rgb lighting in the room my pc is in to match my desktop glow.

Also wouldn't mind some hardline in my system this year.

Hardline is so sexy! I've wanted to try something like that for a while but the maintenance aspect turns me away from it.

This year Sony is finally updating their lines with a newer design language. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

1 hour ago, Virus__ said:

Yeah i'm extremely impressed & I have all fans doing <1k RPM and my idle temps are in the mid 30's for both my GPU & CPU, and it is currently at the height of summer here in Australia.

Not bad not bad at all. What case?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Isn't the point of the badges to earn them? They're for achievements aren't they?

Half of trading cards required for crafting badges you get by playing game, Rest you can either get by trading or just buying from people who are selling

Badges are to showcase how much you love some game, and to increase your steam level.

Achievements are different, if you are referring to steam achievements earned for completing specific in-game challenge

Finally got PS4 Pro

7 minutes ago, mayu said:

Half of trading cards required for crafting badges you get by playing game, Rest you can either get by trading or just buying from people who are selling

Badges are to showcase how much you love some game, and to increase your steam level.

Achievements are different, if you are referring to steam achievements earned for completing specific in-game challenge

Weird.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I forgot about my goal and bought Drevo Calibur... sigh.

well I achieved 1 goal, after having a driver crash wednesday that cost me 7 hours of mining I did some tweaking to the clocks based on settings that where said to be better for mining the algo's nicehash mines instead of using the settings I found that worked best for ethereum and I started bumping up the power limit from the LOW LOW setting of 60% and managed to get as far as 72% before my UPS started beeping because I was drawing to much power through the battery backup side, doing so increased my system power draw by 65-70 watts from the wall (about 16 cents extra a day on the power) and boosted my hashrate 8-10% in most of the Algo's used by Nicehash and finally achieved an above .001 BTC in a single day so thats adding about a dollar a day in profit.

I only have three tech related goals for "this year". Two are only loosely related to "tech" as the title of the thread means..

1. Build a mining rig (mining them F@H points that is)
  2. Upgrade my fish finder from a cheapo depot unit to a nice unit complete with sonar/gps based custom topo maps
  3. And finally, continue learning how to fly RC helicopters.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not bad not bad at all. What case?

Ncase M1 in Silver. Picked it up cheap second hand, would've happily paid for a brand new one though. Build quality is amazing.

image.png.8ad411e3a88f6d696f233bdff292fdc6.png

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Where do I start... :P Upgrade my networking gear to GB Cisco switches and routers, Build a proper storage server, Upgrade my R710 with 8-32GBs more ram, 8 10k sas HDDs or ssds, 2 X5690s, and a proper rack mounting set. Run new Cat 6e throughout my house (need everything for that :dry:), liquid cool my 480 and my 4790k, get at least 1 new 1440p monitor if not 3, Finish my voodoo build, finish my P4 build, build a proper mining rig, get a proper server rack, new kvm switch, new hotas set (preferably an X56), build new storage for my stuff, clean out my room for new flooring/painting, organize my pc area, start on my HO or N scale setup (ie tear down the old one and start planning), Go to school in September again, etc

And that's just what I can remember offhand right now... :S

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

7 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Do you have other goals such as:

• Buy those things on a 25% APR credit card
  • End up paying thousands of dollar for those things over the course of several years all because you wanted that shiny new thing NOW that does basically the same thing as the shiny thing from last year?
  • Declare bankrupcy, have your assets liquidated and be stuck living on social security checks hand-to-mouth the rest of your life?

I swear nobody saves any money these days. 

Fun story: I save up my money to buy Apple products. Just have had a debit card :). Can still afford new Apple tech. Just a waiting game for me!

Complete my wirecutting plan

so far I only have a wireless MKB and gamepad, next up is a headset and a mouse

Build a dedicated HTPC/server

it will also serve as a torrent box

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm planning on saving up for a Galaxy S7 or S8, either one has all the capabilities I'm looking for in a phone.

Talking about galaxy s7 i just dropped my phone and it's back glass broke

1515144391461-1850323936.jpg

Not really for 2018, but still following goals:

set up a basic sim rig

I stream ETS, ATS, Dirt, Farming simulator, ...  Something basic to mount my wheel and pedals would be nice

Accessories for sim rig

A shifter, 1 or 2 joysticks and possibly a handbrake is something I would like to have also.

Stream for more than 1h per week

Goal is possibly 10+ hours a week of streaming, on a regular schedule

New phone

Got a Zenfone 2. It's doing the job currently but a Oneplus or Pixel is something I looked a lot into. Or zenfone 3

Get a smartwatch

I had a zenwatch 1 but lost it (grrrr). The zenwatch 3 looks awesome but I don't have the budget currently.

last but not least. It's not techie related but still something I want to have done:

Laser operation for vision

I'm wearing glasses since I'm 8 years old. I am now 22 and I think it is the best time to have the operation done.

that's pretty much it!!

GPU Upgrade

I love my 1050ti, got it after saving for months on end in college, but it can't max out most games now even on the low resolution of 720p.  Now I have a job and with volta (presumably) just over the horizon I'm getting me the next gtx xx60 card.

Monitor Upgrade

I'm probably 1 of only 3 people left in the world using a 720p monitor.

PSU Upgrade

Dear lord it's a miracle this thing hasn't exploded yet.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

This year Sony is finally updating their lines with a newer design language. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

I really hope they don't change too much, stuff like the power button/fingerprint sensor is perfect. Their use of soft plastics around the outside of the device would be nice to have changed though. 

And although it wont happen, get rid of the cured edges of the glass so I can use a decent glass screen protector again. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, at least you didn't buy the RS. That car seems like the worst value they've come up with in a long while.

The problem is high demand and low supply, they've been marked up considerably. They used to start at like $34k and now the new 2018's start at above 40. I got mine "used" with 8k miles in 2016 (2016 model year) for 21K... It was a no brainer.

(Plus, it's 2.3T Ecobboost engine is having head gasket problems, while my 2.0 is rock solid)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

God I have alot of thing im gonna have to get. 

Instantly a PSU upgrade is in order, the 300W HP unit inside of my PC is a literal ticking time bomb. After that maybe an NVME SSD for my laptop. Perhaps an A8 3850 to keep my old but trusty PC alive as long as possible. Not so sure if im gonna get the JBL Boombox tho, though it would be kinda funny getting a noise complaint with a bluetooth speaker lol. Ohh and a desk because I need one badly with a monitor as well

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

On 1/3/2018 at 1:48 AM, dizmo said:

-snip-

My goals are liable to change but recently I've been thinking about a few different things:

• Finish cutting cable routing holes in my desk, and using plastic inserts in said holes to route the cables through.
  • Research hardline tubing, and maybe even make the switch
  • Get a set of speakers for my PC
  • Get a cheap laptop, and swap the HDD for a SDD, and use it for forum crawling and youtube videos.
  • And of course: enjoy some videogames, by myself, and with my girlfriend :)
  • Learn some code aswell. 

More HDD space in my NAS.

MOAR RGB!!!!

Maybe a second NAS for the business.

Transition Enza to being more SSD based as far as storage is concerned.

Hunt down a Haswell T SKU quad core for my Alienware Alpha

Surface Studio/2 if it comes out. The Pro 4's screen is a bit too small for me when sketching.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

I forgot about my goal and bought Drevo Calibur... sigh.

How do you like it?

17 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

well I achieved 1 goal, after having a driver crash wednesday that cost me 7 hours of mining I did some tweaking to the clocks based on settings that where said to be better for mining the algo's nicehash mines instead of using the settings I found that worked best for ethereum and I started bumping up the power limit from the LOW LOW setting of 60% and managed to get as far as 72% before my UPS started beeping because I was drawing to much power through the battery backup side, doing so increased my system power draw by 65-70 watts from the wall (about 16 cents extra a day on the power) and boosted my hashrate 8-10% in most of the Algo's used by Nicehash and finally achieved an above .001 BTC in a single day so thats adding about a dollar a day in profit.

Damn that's not bad. Is Nicehash worth it? I seem to remember someone saying that you end up losing a lot of money that way. I really got to get a rig up and running. Especially since it's all profit for me :P

17 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I only have three tech related goals for "this year". Two are only loosely related to "tech" as the title of the thread means..

1. Build a mining rig (mining them F@H points that is)
  2. Upgrade my fish finder from a cheapo depot unit to a nice unit complete with sonar/gps based custom topo maps
  3. And finally, continue learning how to fly RC helicopters.

Haha, I've only ever flown those little mini helicopters and they're such a pain in the ass. The controls are way too touchy. I could see it being fun if they weren't as sensitive though!

16 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Ncase M1 in Silver. Picked it up cheap second hand, would've happily paid for a brand new one though. Build quality is amazing.

image.png.8ad411e3a88f6d696f233bdff292fdc6.png

Damn that looks nice! I love how you can fit so many fans in there. The M1 very close to the top of my want list for an mITX enclosure...until I found something smaller :ph34r:

15 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Where do I start... :P Upgrade my networking gear to GB Cisco switches and routers, Build a proper storage server, Upgrade my R710 with 8-32GBs more ram, 8 10k sas HDDs or ssds, 2 X5690s, and a proper rack mounting set. Run new Cat 6e throughout my house (need everything for that :dry:), liquid cool my 480 and my 4790k, get at least 1 new 1440p monitor if not 3, Finish my voodoo build, finish my P4 build, build a proper mining rig, get a proper server rack, new kvm switch, new hotas set (preferably an X56), build new storage for my stuff, clean out my room for new flooring/painting, organize my pc area, start on my HO or N scale setup (ie tear down the old one and start planning), Go to school in September again, etc

And that's just what I can remember offhand right now... :S

What do you use you server for?

Haha oh boy. Running cable is such a pain in the ass. Worth it in the end, but still.

I had a wicked model train set as a kid! It took up probably 8 feet by 20 feet. The trains were all solid metal, and super heavy. If you got them going too fast and you hit the corner by the wall sometimes it'd fly off and take out a solid chunk. Still remember getting a locomotive that you could add liquid to so that it smoked.

15 hours ago, Noyu said:

Complete my wirecutting plan

so far I only have a wireless MKB and gamepad, next up is a headset and a mouse

Build a dedicated HTPC/server

it will also serve as a torrent box

Where did you find a wireless mechanical keyboard? How do you like it and how long do the batteries last?

I like wireless because of the clutter it gets rid of.

I've always wanted to build a server as well, but I don't really have a need for it; a couple of external drives do the same thing for me. I like the idea of building something like that though.

12 hours ago, Jerped said:

Not really for 2018, but still following goals:

set up a basic sim rig

I stream ETS, ATS, Dirt, Farming simulator, ...  Something basic to mount my wheel and pedals would be nice

Accessories for sim rig

A shifter, 1 or 2 joysticks and possibly a handbrake is something I would like to have also.

Stream for more than 1h per week

Goal is possibly 10+ hours a week of streaming, on a regular schedule

New phone

Got a Zenfone 2. It's doing the job currently but a Oneplus or Pixel is something I looked a lot into. Or zenfone 3

Get a smartwatch

I had a zenwatch 1 but lost it (grrrr). The zenwatch 3 looks awesome but I don't have the budget currently.

last but not least. It's not techie related but still something I want to have done:

Laser operation for vision

I'm wearing glasses since I'm 8 years old. I am now 22 and I think it is the best time to have the operation done.

that's pretty much it!!

A Sim rig would be pretty cool, I don't have the space for such a beast. Haha, is farming simulator actually fun? I should have seen if it was on sale during the Steam sale. If you decide to go with the Zenfone 3, try and get the Zoom model. It's battery is absolutely delightful. It's camera is kinda meh though. I think you're supposed to wait until your late 20's to get laser eye surgery aren't you? One of my friends got it (said it was the best thing he's ever spent money on), but he was 28 or 29 when he had it done, and he said something along those lines.

12 hours ago, bleedblue said:

GPU Upgrade

I love my 1050ti, got it after saving for months on end in college, but it can't max out most games now even on the low resolution of 720p.  Now I have a job and with volta (presumably) just over the horizon I'm getting me the next gtx xx60 card.

Monitor Upgrade

I'm probably 1 of only 3 people left in the world using a 720p monitor.

PSU Upgrade

Dear lord it's a miracle this thing hasn't exploded yet.

You really need to upgrade that 720p monitor, it's 2018!

High is basically as good as Ultra as far as settings go, you don't really gain a great deal.

11 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I really hope they don't change too much, stuff like the power button/fingerprint sensor is perfect. Their use of soft plastics around the outside of the device would be nice to have changed though. 

And although it wont happen, get rid of the cured edges of the glass so I can use a decent glass screen protector again. 

Haha yeah I always thought that was odd. Hopefully they move to stainless steel or aluminium. Titanium would be idea, but let's be real, one of the big companies would overcharge for that like crazy.

You find it necessary? I haven't had a screen protector on my phones for years and I've never had an issue.

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The problem is high demand and low supply, they've been marked up considerably. They used to start at like $34k and now the new 2018's start at above 40. I got mine "used" with 8k miles in 2016 (2016 model year) for 21K... It was a no brainer.

(Plus, it's 2.3T Ecobboost engine is having head gasket problems, while my 2.0 is rock solid)

Yea, up here a few people on the Focus forum have the RS and they've all had mechanical issues. One had to have the entire drivetrain replaced at 58k kilometers. That shouldn't happen. Not only that, but you can get a fully spec'd WRX STI for $10,000 less. The Audi S5, RS3, are all within a couple thousand dollars. Even in Ford's line up, you can get a very well appointed Mustang GT. The RS is priced about $8,000 out of its class.

8 hours ago, silentprototipe said:

God I have alot of thing im gonna have to get. 

Instantly a PSU upgrade is in order, the 300W HP unit inside of my PC is a literal ticking time bomb. After that maybe an NVME SSD for my laptop. Perhaps an A8 3850 to keep my old but trusty PC alive as long as possible. Not so sure if im gonna get the JBL Boombox tho, though it would be kinda funny getting a noise complaint with a bluetooth speaker lol. Ohh and a desk because I need one badly with a monitor as well

Whyyyy NVME :P Just go SATA. Are you going to get an Ikea desk?

8 hours ago, Doomerson said:

My goals are liable to change but recently I've been thinking about a few different things:

• Finish cutting cable routing holes in my desk, and using plastic inserts in said holes to route the cables through.
  • Research hardline tubing, and maybe even make the switch
  • Get a set of speakers for my PC
  • Get a cheap laptop, and swap the HDD for a SDD, and use it for forum crawling and youtube videos.
  • And of course: enjoy some videogames, by myself, and with my girlfriend :)
  • Learn some code aswell. 

Haha, you can probably get a laptop that comes with an SSD for pretty cheap! Just make sure it has 8GB of RAM (or can be upgraded) if you love tabs. I find mine slows down from time to time if I have more than 40 or 50 tabs open.

Any ideas on what speakers you're going to go for? I missed a set of AudioEngine A5's on Kijiji :P Those would have been nice.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

More HDD space in my NAS.

MOAR RGB!!!!

Maybe a second NAS for the business.

Transition Enza to being more SSD based as far as storage is concerned.

Hunt down a Haswell T SKU quad core for my Alienware Alpha

Surface Studio/2 if it comes out. The Pro 4's screen is a bit too small for me when sketching.

Is Enza your desktop? My next build is going to be mostly SSD based. Almost tempted to go RAID0 for game storage....mostly because I can get a killer deal on a pair of 480GB enterprise SSDs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

How do you like it?

Hasn't arrived yet. I don't even need anymore keyboards. I have the most irresponsible keyboard one can own. Why does this keep happening?!?!?!

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I've only ever flown those little mini helicopters and they're such a pain in the ass. The controls are way too touchy. I could see it being fun if they weren't as sensitive though!

They're supposed to be sensitive. That's what lets you do things like this after years of practice:

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME