Tech Goals for 2018?

dizmo
22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I was looking at that one too, I like the customizable front and rear panels. It's not quite the right form factor for me though, as it still takes up a lot of desk space. Unless they make some kind of killer stand to hold it upright.

I know! Originally I was going to get the Firewolfy Mi6, but I think I'm going to go with the Louqe Ghost. I love the idea of being able to alter it's size as needed for additional cooling or adding storage. Plus it's super small.

I know Josh spaced the holes in the case so it could be adapted to any standard VESA mount, so mounting it to a monitor is totally feasible. Plus it stands up by itself, it's how it's designed to be so you don't choke the CPU or GPU.

The Ghost is nice, but so damn expensive. I looked at it and they wanted $500 AUD. The Dan A4 is a similar size & only half that cost :/ and they have a water cooled edition coming out soon apparently. It'll be cool to see JayzTwoCents water cooled build in the Ghost though.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

You're right. I see the light now. #360ultrawidemasterrace

#360ultrawidestackedthreehighmasterrace*

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Ncase M1 in Silver. Picked it up cheap second hand, would've happily paid for a brand new one though. Build quality is amazing.

image.png.8ad411e3a88f6d696f233bdff292fdc6.png

How were the standard PSU cable lengths?

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

How were the standard PSU cable lengths?

Too long for everything. Most are probably twice as long as required. Just can't see because they're sort of zip tied out of the way up the top lol.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Just now, Virus__ said:

Too long for everything. Most are probably twice as long as required. Just can't see because they're sort of zip tied out of the way up the top lol.

Ah ok... custom cables it is.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Ah ok... custom cables it is.

Yep! I'm thinking green & white custom length from Cable Mod, unless I feel like doing my own, which is probably more hassle than it is worth. Would be fun though.

@dizmo what would be nice is is you could get a decent looking case for the phone or some kind of bumper. I've dropped this one once and that sort plastic banding look horrible. It really doesn't help it'd simply grey plastic painted silver either.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

Yep! I'm thinking green & white custom length from Cable Mod, unless I feel like doing my own, which is probably more hassle than it is worth. Would be fun though.

I wish @CableMod could see into the future and send me perfect length cables so I don't have to wait to get the case to measure, lol. I'm going to do black and grey since that's the color of all the components sans RGB.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

What do you use you server for?

Haha oh boy. Running cable is such a pain in the ass. Worth it in the end, but still.

I had a wicked model train set as a kid! It took up probably 8 feet by 20 feet. The trains were all solid metal, and super heavy. If you got them going too fast and you hit the corner by the wall sometimes it'd fly off and take out a solid chunk. Still remember getting a locomotive that you could add liquid to so that it smoked.

Server right now is a VM server for multiple things. Games servers, specific file backups, etc... 

Yeah if you've never done it before :P I re-cabled my old schools labs last year so I have some experience doing it properly :)

Oh wow. That sounds awesome. Sometime in the future when I have my own place I want to build myself on of those amazing garden train sets throughout the yard :D 

Spoiler

a-lovely-train-track.jpg.c0e60d139f495ad2c1708c0941a506ad.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.bc70a0c525474b9b92765d7ced186586.jpg

5a5033df34776_General_view_Bekonscot.thumb.JPG.21d4f468a29c126f09ed0789fc127b92.JPG

3656ae90c92ba0905c77b9ddbf3f5e3f.jpg.c28daa95c98ea08287af29c4317709c2.jpg

New_Orleans_Botanical_Garden_Train_Set.jpg.a8bd93159eb820fd58e0a26dba0a367e.jpg

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

10 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I wish @CableMod could see into the future and send me perfect length cables so I don't have to wait to get the case to measure, lol. I'm going to do black and grey since that's the color of all the components sans RGB.

That sounds awesome. Yeah I have to do the painful thing & measure and figure out how I want to route cables lol.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

That's not too bad. Clearly you live somewhere with a nicer climate than where I am

It's -1oF where I am right now. It's a micro helicopter, and I have a heated garage :)

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Three is vastly superior.

Haha, you know, I really wish I'd bought another one of the P2214H's. The woman I bought it from had 20 or 30, all brand new in the box, and they were 1/3 of what they retailed for.

1 hour ago, Xirhanna said:

@dizmoThanks!  I was planning on a GTX 1060, an AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, Asus Strix B350-F, Corsair Vengeance LPX and just another monitor like the one I already have so they match. :D

Your build is going to look a lot like mine! I'm looking at getting either a 1400, 1500x or 1600 (have lines on all three, just have to barter and take the one that's the best deal), a GTX 970 or R9 390, and some kind of RAM. RAM's pretty expensive, but I found a guy selling 2133mhz sticks pretty cheap. I just don't want to mess around with OCing it so I might look for something else.

I'm the same way! matching monitors are a must.

Your build's pretty unique, did you start with a prebuilt and slowly upgrade?

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

VESA mounting.......

If only my Samsung or ASUS monitors were VESA.

I'll never, ever buy a monitor that isn't VESA.

1 hour ago, Legendarypoet said:

Absolutely. I got it in 2007/8 and it's just as awesome now as it was then. I don't use it to its full potential anymore. I used to have a metric ton of layouts, but over the last 10 years it's all been committed to muscle memory. I couldn't ask much more from it. Dreading the day it dies because I'm sooooo used to it. There's nothing to replace it.

It's that old? Impressive. Do they not make it anymore?

If you've gotten 10 years of use out of it, that's pretty good.

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Why not make my first and potentially last (maybe I'll post more later in the year but im not sure) post for 2018 about some aspirations that are tech related...

-snip-

Still thinking about leaving? Don't do it :P

Have you ever tried overclocking RAM? How difficult is it? I have a line on 2133mhz RAM but since I'm now getting Ryzen, I want something faster. Do you find 8GB is too limiting? I was hoping I could get away with 8GB instead of 16gb :P

What made you get the Silencio? Seems like a bit of a downgrade.

I find that m.2 drives are often a few dollars less than their 2.5" counterparts. Have you checked out Reddit? There's some steals that go through there pretty frequently if you keep an eye on it. I've been so tempted to try using a 120GB SSD as a cache drive for a 1TB HDD. I'd still have an SSD for Windows and games though...possibly one for each.

You wouldn't go up to 1440p? If you upgrade your card, you should easily be able to run it. I've never owned a really nice monitor, and next year I fully intend to buy one; I just don't know if it's going to be 4k, ultrawide, or 1440p. I guess we'll see what comes out in the later half of the year. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

Both cards, my CPU (which averages like 60-70 cents a day at a cost to run of 9 cents a day and my old gaming laptop that has broken hinges on the display, a failing SATA Controller and a few other issues so I retired it to mining use only makes about a 1 (CPU and Gaming laptop earn a $1.80 per day by themselves) so the laptop basically covers the electricity costs on the desktop (about a dollar per day) and a portion of the CPU covers the laptop (25 cents per day) so ALL the money earned by the GPU's is pure profit. as you can see the 1080ti's are far and away the MOST efficient pieces in my setup but it's still making money on every level, laptop makes a profit of 3 times what it costs to run it and the CPU makes a profit of 6-7 times what it costs to run it (over having it basically idle in the system, since it HAS to be running to some extent regardless just for the GPU's to run, the GPU's (including the power draw of the rest of the system) are making 10-12 times what they cost to run (note all these "x times" numbers are PROFIT AFTER ELECTRIC COST), the GPU's also have the highest yield being nearly 10x the rest of the parts in raw earnings of BTC which is WHY you need GPU's if you want to make any real money mining, weaker the rig, slower you earn, I hear Ryzen 7 CPU's can do like 2+ dollars a day by themselves, might get one of them if I decide to setup a second rig. Right now I need to get through Tax Season and see how much money I have left after paying taxes.

Hmmm interesting. You can mine with CPUs as well? If they can actually add $2/day I might consider doing that and 4 GTX 1070s. They can be found used from time to time for about $450.

56 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

I know Josh spaced the holes in the case so it could be adapted to any standard VESA mount, so mounting it to a monitor is totally feasible. Plus it stands up by itself, it's how it's designed to be so you don't choke the CPU or GPU.

The Ghost is nice, but so damn expensive. I looked at it and they wanted $500 AUD. The Dan A4 is a similar size & only half that cost :/ and they have a water cooled edition coming out soon apparently. It'll be cool to see JayzTwoCents water cooled build in the Ghost though.

Oh man don't tell me that! Though, I'd have so much stuff plugged into it it'd look like my monitor had dreads.

I'm sure it'd stand upright all right, but a base would just be a lot more secure. I wouldn't want to risk it tipping over. If they ever made an upright stand, there's a high probability I'd buy one of their cases.

They're that much there eh? Were you looking at their Kickstarter campaign? I know they were tacking on something like 20% or 30% for VAT. I refused to pay it, since as an International customer I'm not subject to it. They said it was something to do with how his country handles Kickstarter campaigns. I imagine it'll be $230ish US for a case and a top hat.

There was something about the Dan A4 that bothered me but I can't remember what...

17 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

@dizmo what would be nice is is you could get a decent looking case for the phone or some kind of bumper. I've dropped this one once and that sort plastic banding look horrible. It really doesn't help it'd simply grey plastic painted silver either.

Yeah, I hear ya. You're not a fan of the OnePlus cases? They don't look that bad.

1 minute ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Server right now is a VM server for multiple things. Games servers, specific file backups, etc... 

Yeah if you've never done it before :P I re-cabled my old schools labs last year so I have some experience doing it properly :)

Oh wow. That sounds awesome. Sometime in the future when I have my own place I want to build myself on of those amazing garden train sets throughout the yard :D 

Reveal hidden contents

a-lovely-train-track.jpg.c0e60d139f495ad2c1708c0941a506ad.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.bc70a0c525474b9b92765d7ced186586.jpg

5a5033df34776_General_view_Bekonscot.thumb.JPG.21d4f468a29c126f09ed0789fc127b92.JPG

3656ae90c92ba0905c77b9ddbf3f5e3f.jpg.c28daa95c98ea08287af29c4317709c2.jpg

New_Orleans_Botanical_Garden_Train_Set.jpg.a8bd93159eb820fd58e0a26dba0a367e.jpg

Haha, they make garden trains? I guess they're better for dryer climates. That'd be so cool though!

10 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

It's -1oF where I am right now. It's a micro helicopter, and I have a heated garage :)

It was -44C where I am last week ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

It's that old? Impressive. Do they not make it anymore?

If you've gotten 10 years of use out of it, that's pretty good.

They've got a smaller one now. I've got no interest in it. The lack of number pad and extra 10 keys is just too much of a reduction.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hmmm interesting. You can mine with CPUs as well? If they can actually add $2/day I might consider doing that and 4 GTX 1070s. They can be found used from time to time for about $450.

you definitely can, the coins you can mine are pretty limited to like 1 maybe 2 coins. most people just get the cheapest low power CPU they can get and put all there money into the GPU's, which makes sense if you think about it, if you can get a 70 dollar CPU and put that 200-210 extra a 1700 would cost you into your GPU's you'll see a higher return with the GPU's, but if you are building a rig that doubles as a gaming rig then you can use the CPU to earn an extra.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

-snip-

Reply to: 

"My goals are liable to change but recently I've been thinking about a few different things:

• Finish cutting cable routing holes in my desk, and using plastic inserts in said holes to route the cables through.
  • Research hardline tubing, and maybe even make the switch
  • Get a set of speakers for my PC
  • Get a cheap laptop, and swap the HDD for a SDD, and use it for forum crawling and youtube videos.
  • And of course: enjoy some videogames, by myself, and with my girlfriend :)
  • Learn some code aswell. 

Haha, you can probably get a laptop that comes with an SSD for pretty cheap! Just make sure it has 8GB of RAM (or can be upgraded) if you love tabs. I find mine slows down from time to time if I have more than 40 or 50 tabs open.

Any ideas on what speakers you're going to go for? I missed a set of AudioEngine A5's on Kijiji :P Those would have been nice. "

Plan on going for the logitech fidelity 2.0s. I think they look really nice, and I rarely have more than 3-4 tabs open at a time to be entirely honest. My girlfriend will also sometimes have tons of tabs open like that, I just don't like using applications in that manner :P 

26 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What's fucking stupid is that my dad has a lower end version of my curved sammy. His has VESA mounting points.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I bought mine because I really didnt have the cash for better ones. Also, my first monitor was purchased before the whole VESA mounting solution became bigger. I did find however a mounting solution for mine and other Acer panels that adds VESA compatibility. Which I might employ. Im thinking of doing some major cable management of my desk and that could be and upgrade that helps with that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh man don't tell me that! Though, I'd have so much stuff plugged into it it'd look like my monitor had dreads.

I'm sure it'd stand upright all right, but a base would just be a lot more secure. I wouldn't want to risk it tipping over. If they ever made an upright stand, there's a high probability I'd buy one of their cases.

They're that much there eh? Were you looking at their Kickstarter campaign? I know they were tacking on something like 20% or 30% for VAT. I refused to pay it, since as an International customer I'm not subject to it. They said it was something to do with how his country handles Kickstarter campaigns. I imagine it'll be $230ish US for a case and a top hat.

There was something about the Dan A4 that bothered me but I can't remember what...

Haha, yeah it was this I remember Josh did a video on it, looks pretty epic imo. But I hear you a nice machined aluminium or a nice wood vert stand would look sick & compliment the elegant looks of the case.

image.png.6828a822e63505ed95dc2224ef041fd8.png

Yeah, our dollar is weak against the Euro, but that was with both top & bottom expansions, base case was still like $300 shipped tho. Bit too much for my liking.

Ah that's fair, I like the Dan A4, but it's still too expensive for what it is, it could at least have an ODD slot like the Ncase imo. Kinda why I think the Ncase is perfect, has so much usability, but it's only like 12 litres? Which is nothing. Then again I went from a Fortress FT03 which was about 3x the volume heh. If I do, do another ITX build i'll probably get another Ncase I think.

Finish  my custom 32bit TTL computer before the end of the year. 

Hopefully get a C compiler and OS running. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Legendarypoet said:

They've got a smaller one now. I've got no interest in it. The lack of number pad and extra 10 keys is just too much of a reduction.

Same price too I bet eh? Yeah, with something like that I'd definitely at least want a full sized keyboard, especially at that cost!

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

you definitely can, the coins you can mine are pretty limited to like 1 maybe 2 coins. most people just get the cheapest low power CPU they can get and put all there money into the GPU's, which makes sense if you think about it, if you can get a 70 dollar CPU and put that 200-210 extra a 1700 would cost you into your GPU's you'll see a higher return with the GPU's, but if you are building a rig that doubles as a gaming rig then you can use the CPU to earn an extra.

Interesting. I really need to think about what I'm going to do. I think an old LGA1150 motherboard with a Pentium is probably the best bet hey? I wouldn't be mining on my gaming rig, they'd be separate.

1 hour ago, Doomerson said:

Reply to: 

"My goals are liable to change but recently I've been thinking about a few different things:

• Finish cutting cable routing holes in my desk, and using plastic inserts in said holes to route the cables through.
  • Research hardline tubing, and maybe even make the switch
  • Get a set of speakers for my PC
  • Get a cheap laptop, and swap the HDD for a SDD, and use it for forum crawling and youtube videos.
  • And of course: enjoy some videogames, by myself, and with my girlfriend :)
  • Learn some code aswell. 

Haha, you can probably get a laptop that comes with an SSD for pretty cheap! Just make sure it has 8GB of RAM (or can be upgraded) if you love tabs. I find mine slows down from time to time if I have more than 40 or 50 tabs open.

Any ideas on what speakers you're going to go for? I missed a set of AudioEngine A5's on Kijiji :P Those would have been nice. "

Plan on going for the logitech fidelity 2.0s. I think they look really nice, and I rarely have more than 3-4 tabs open at a time to be entirely honest. My girlfriend will also sometimes have tons of tabs open like that, I just don't like using applications in that manner :P 

Nice! Logitech makes pretty good speakers. My dad has a set that shake the entire house. He got them for $50 because the guy was moving, couldn't find the remote, and it was nearing the end of his garage sale.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

What's fucking stupid is that my dad has a lower end version of my curved sammy. His has VESA mounting points.

I hate Samsung for that honestly. Their monitors, while having nice panels, are hideous and poorly designed. Too many of them have no VESA mounts, glossy plastics, etc.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I bought mine because I really didnt have the cash for better ones. Also, my first monitor was purchased before the whole VESA mounting solution became bigger. I did find however a mounting solution for mine and other Acer panels that adds VESA compatibility. Which I might employ. Im thinking of doing some major cable management of my desk and that could be and upgrade that helps with that. 

Yeah for sure. Monitor arms! I think everyone should use monitor arms, they're great. I bought my roommate 3 arms for Christmas, it freed up sooo much desk space.

58 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

Haha, yeah it was this I remember Josh did a video on it, looks pretty epic imo. But I hear you a nice machined aluminium or a nice wood vert stand would look sick & compliment the elegant looks of the case.

image.png.6828a822e63505ed95dc2224ef041fd8.png

Yeah, our dollar is weak against the Euro, but that was with both top & bottom expansions, base case was still like $300 shipped tho. Bit too much for my liking.

Ah that's fair, I like the Dan A4, but it's still too expensive for what it is, it could at least have an ODD slot like the Ncase imo. Kinda why I think the Ncase is perfect, has so much usability, but it's only like 12 litres? Which is nothing. Then again I went from a Fortress FT03 which was about 3x the volume heh. If I do, do another ITX build i'll probably get another Ncase I think.

If the case was more popular I'd almost consider designing one myself :P

That stand looks pretty sweet! I'd probably have put it on the opposite side and had the cables running down the back of the arm, or better yet into the arm and then you can feed them through a pass through in the desk...

Yeah, I might have a pretty huge hate for visible cables.

I thought about getting the FT03 Mini before all these awesome ITX cases came out. I liked how it had a minimal footprint.

I also like the Caselabs Bullet BH4. For an mATX case, it's pretty small. Plus it has windows to show off all the money you've sunk into the compute box.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting. I really need to think about what I'm going to do. I think an old LGA1150 motherboard with a Pentium is probably the best bet hey? I wouldn't be mining on my gaming rig, they'd be separate.

for you with no concern about power costs get whatever is the cheapest CPU that will work is

not sure if this is tech-related, but be job-ready as a software dev (or any tech job really) before summertime. honestly i doubt it'll happen though 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

A Sim rig would be pretty cool, I don't have the space for such a beast. Haha, is farming simulator actually fun? I should have seen if it was on sale during the Steam sale. If you decide to go with the Zenfone 3, try and get the Zoom model. It's battery is absolutely delightful. It's camera is kinda meh though. I think you're supposed to wait until your late 20's to get laser eye surgery aren't you? One of my friends got it (said it was the best thing he's ever spent money on), but he was 28 or 29 when he had it done, and he said something along those lines.

Yeah FS is really fun, even more with friends if you can. I've got my own dedicated server setup with my roommate and we enjoy playing a lot :D

The zoom model has a better battery and front facing camera, while the normal model has more RAM, more network compatibility and is a bit smaller.

The age you friend mentioned was probably related to waiting until the late 20s to be sure your sight is not still diminishing over time. I haven't changed my glasses for the last 4 years so I think I will be fine :D  I want to schedule an appointment for an evaluation in the coming months.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Whyyyy NVME :P Just go SATA. Are you going to get an Ikea desk?

Well I need my storage man, I currently have a 1 TB HDD in my laptop for storage. Ill be also slapping an NVME drive for the boot and everything will be glorious. And yeah more than likely, the best desk that my wallet can afford straight from ikea :P 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!