Windows 7 update broken on some systems

samcool55
10 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I don't get your point.

Default Windows 7 doesn't have any telemetry. This was included in updates after the launch of windows 10.

Therefore, you shouldn't be throwing around the word "ignorancy" when you have no idea what you are talking about in the same post because you lose all credibility.

Understand now?

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

-removed due to smugness overload-

Can you maybe tell is if you have the "give me microsoft products..." whatever checkmark checked or unchecked?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Can you maybe tell is if you have the "give me microsoft products..." whatever checkmark checked or unchecked?

I have the following settings enabled

• Install updates automatically (recommended)
  • Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates
  • Allow all users to install updates on this computer

I do not have "give me microsoft products" option listed. This option only appears if there is Microsoft Office installed with Search for Online option enabled. I don't have Microsoft Office installed on this computer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I have the following settings enabled

• Install updates automatically (recommended)
  • Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates
  • Allow all users to install updates on this computer

I do not have "give me microsoft products" option listed. This option only appears if there is Microsoft Office installed with Search for Online option enabled. I don't have Microsoft Office installed on this computer.

Ok, ty for the information :P

I do have office installed basically everywhere so maybe it has to do with that, i don't know...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Downloading modern Microsoft patches is like downloading bugs and viruses, anyway. I personally wouldn't care if Windows Update wasn't working.

I always use crack windows update to the latest and then turn off updates cuz its useless AF ;)

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Ok, ty for the information :P

I do have office installed basically everywhere so maybe it has to do with that, i don't know...

Can test on a VM. Create vm install win7 and immediately look for updates. If it works, then stop it install office and try again to see if update breaks or not.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Can test on a VM. Create vm install win7 and immediately look for updates. If it works, then stop it install office and try again to see if update breaks or not.

I have a W7 vm and that one updated fine, but it was like REALLY old and had like 100+ updates to go, atm i can't really care updating it and messing with office on it :P

Don't have a W7 with most of the updates either so that's not really an option :/

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I have a W7 vm and that one updated fine, but it was like REALLY old and had like 100+ updates to go, atm i can't really care updating it and messing with office on it :P

Don't have a W7 with most of the updates either so that's not really an option :/

The pic I post with the Win7 update is a clean install, that was about a hour ago. It had 0 updates.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

46 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Default Windows 7 doesn't have any telemetry. This was included in updates after the launch of windows 10.

Therefore, you shouldn't be throwing around the word "ignorancy" when you have no idea what you are talking about in the same post because you lose all credibility.

Understand now?

If you think W7 wasn't collecting any telemetry before W10, then I needn't even discuss this any further.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I usually don't point out misspelled words but I find it funny that you spelled "ignorance" wrong.

Anyway, Windows 7 demonstrably doesn't have anywhere near as much background snooping as Windows 10 does.

I've ran both in virtual machines and logged all network traffic. It most certainly has increased in Windows 7 ever since Microsoft became interested in data harvesting their users, but it's still far less. Plus you can choose to not install the privacy invasive updates on Windows 7.

Windows 7 is not obsolete either. In fact, Microsoft will support it for several years to come. They are trying their hardest to make their support as shitty as possible though...

And is it worth the hassle as MS is making it harder and harder?

Just now, Matu20 said:

Imo it's peanuts compared to W10. The fact i don't need to fight windows update with drivers for my graphics card is already a big win for windows 7...

Or onedrive, or candy crush, or whatever absolutely stupid game windows 10 spams in the start menu by default and always comes back.

That error only happens when the service Windows Update service was disabled manually or by some tweaking tools. Go to services find windows update and set it to manual or automatic and it will work.

Not even worth a thread because some users are dumb and dont know how to google the issue.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

That error only happens when the service Windows Update service was disabled manually or by some tweaking tools. Go to services find windows update and set it to manual or automatic and it will work.

Not even worth a thread because some users are dumb and dont know how to google the issue.

Apart from the fact that it doesn't matter if the service is running or not.

For me on every system i got the error, service was running fine, but the error was still there.

Spoiler

image.png.3c32b94d6251c5fb012c91a9a890f1cf.png

10 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

For some people, yes.

You could argue that using Windows 10 becomes harder and harder with every update too. It seems like every update Microsoft releases for Windows 10 adds more ads, spying, and other things you want/need to turn off.

Using Windows becomes more and more of a chore as time goes on. You constantly have to clean up Microsoft''s horrible decisions regardless of which version of Windows you use these days. It would be great if Microsoft could think of their customers for once and actually try and do things that benefits us rather than themselves.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

For some people, yes.

You could argue that using Windows 10 becomes harder and harder with every update too. It seems like every update Microsoft releases for Windows 10 adds more ads, spying, and other things you want/need to turn off.

Using Windows becomes more and more of a chore as time goes on. You constantly have to clean up Microsoft''s horrible decisions regardless of which version of Windows you use these days. It would be great if Microsoft could think of their customers for once and actually try and do things that benefits us rather than themselves.

True, with windows 10 it's basically another update another setting i need to change to what i want, again.

To give an example, seems like the latest updates messes with how windows boots/shuts down.

?st=jau6022j&sh=772e8798https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7hpdwz/win_10_reenabled_fast_startup_in_the_latest/?st=jau6022j&sh=772e8798

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

Just stop with the ignorancy and boycotting W10. Windows 7 has probably the same amount of background snooping, but done more behind the scenes. Turning on bitch mode for obsolete software is more or less futile and retarded.

Probably ? it means you dont know damn thing.

Use Wireshark on windows 10 and then open simple stuff like magnifier glass, PC Settings, calculator and watch the millions of packets going out of your PC. Why? why is win10 sending illegaly collected data when i open a bloody maginifier or calculator?

Do the same in windows 7 and then come back with proof and repeat the phrase "Windows 7 has probably the same ammount of snooping", then we can talk.

Only people who dug around and tested stuff know the massive spyware of Win10, including keyloggers of your type data, screenshots of what you are doing and everything else they can get their hands on.

All this data is meaningless without machine learning and AI which Microsoft does possess and its using it either for sale, ads or profiling you, which they currently cant do much about, yet.

Tinfoil Alert! One day 10 years down the road when AI research results will be booming and the SJW's have won the governemnt they will come for your arse for what you typed in a private FB chat or forum a decade ago etc, see who's laughing then the tinfoil guy or the guy sitting in unconscious mental bias retraining classes.

There has been an issue with the updater for two years, now this may be a new instance of the issue but it is fairly known by now that post windows 10 windows 7 updates are trash in terms of reliability so I'm not surprise it was broken again.

I haven't updated since prior to the windows 10 virus update

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

27 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

If you think W7 wasn't collecting any telemetry before W10, then I needn't even discuss this any further.

28 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I have a dual boot of Window 7 on my home machine and have spent hours during the initial install painfully combing through all the updates to only install the necessary security updates. It's not hard to watch the network traffic to determine what's taking place afterwards.

There is no telemetry what so ever.

If you still want to claim otherwise, I'll gladly wait for your supporting evidence.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

7 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Probably ? it means you dont know damn thing.

Use Wireshark on windows 10 and then open simple stuff like magnifier glass, PC Settings, calculator and watch the millions of packets going out of your PC. Why? why is win10 sending illegaly collected data when i open a bloody maginifier or calculator?

Do the same in windows 7 and then come back with proof and repeat the phrase "Windows 7 has probably the same ammount of snooping", then we can talk.

Only people who dug around and tested stuff know the massive spyware of Win10, including keyloggers of your type data, screenshots of what you are doing and everything else they can get their hands on.

All this data is meaningless without machine learning and AI which Microsoft does possess and its using it either for sale, ads or profiling you, which they currently cant do much about, yet.

Tinfoil Alert! One day 10 years down the road when AI research results will be booming and the SJW's have won the governemnt they will come for your arse for what you typed in a private FB chat or forum a decade ago etc, see who's laughing then the tinfoil guy or the guy sitting in unconscious mental bias retraining classes.

I'm glad that I am not as obsessed with privacy as you, so much shit to worry about :D

Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

1 minute ago, Hellion said:

I have a dual boot of Window 7 on my home machine and have spent hours during the initial install painfully combing through all the updates to only install the necessary security updates. It's not hard to watch the network traffic to determine what's taking place afterwards.

There is no telemetry what so ever.

If you still want to claim otherwise, I'll gladly wait for your supporting evidence.

I'll just leave it as it is, futile to discuss this any further.

33 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Only if you opted in it would which required you to click a box that said you wanted to send data to MS, so I think you live in a fantasy land.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Only if you opted in it would which required you to click a box that said you wanted to send data to MS, so I think you live in a fantasy land.

And happily.

I was having this issue on a PC I have in my house, was wondering what was going on. Managed to manually fix it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

For some people, yes.

You could argue that using Windows 10 becomes harder and harder with every update too. It seems like every update Microsoft releases for Windows 10 adds more ads.

Where are all these ads people keep saying they are getting on w10? Are they talking about the pre-installed crash crush start menu shit? I've never once seen an ad in w10 across the 6 computers I've had

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

People do know you can set group policies in win10 to stop updates ? Haven't updated since the FCU and nothing resets anymore after updates, so once you set it you don't have to go disable it again after every single update.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)