Who needs 4K TVs when you can have an 8K TV.

WMGroomAK

Now that we are beginning to reliably get content and gaming systems that can play 4K content, Sharp has decided to up the ante and will begin to release 8K consumer TVs for the low-low price of only ~$9000.00 USD.  While this is a lot more budget friendly from their first announcement of near 8K displays in 2015 being at $130,000.00 USD, it's still quite a bit of cash...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/01/sharp-ready-sell-8k-consumer-tvs-now-that-we-all-have-4k/

While other electronics companies are just getting to consumer 4K screens, Sharp is once again focusing on the next resolution milestone. Today, Sharp announced its 8K AQUOS televisions will be coming to Japan and China in December, with releases in Taiwan and Europe planned for early 2018.

Ergo, Sharp's announcement blitz today also introduced a company initiative called "8K Ecosystem" dedicated to refining the process and tech of shooting, editing, storing and broadcasting content in 8K. Sharp's new TVs won't make much of a splash if there isn't material that only their screens can show off, and there's very little 8K content in the wild.

It's the same chicken-egg problem that 4K faced at first, though some pressure from outside the industry could nudge 8K along. Japan's telecommunications ministry is pushing for production and broadcasting of 8K technology by next year to ensure systems are ready for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, according to The Japan Times

The planned release is for Japan and China to receive sets in December of 2017 with Taiwan in February of 2018 followed by Europe in March.  I can't find anything on what size of displays these will be, but I couldn't imagine that they would be smaller than 65-inch displays...  At the same time, this either helps to justify those RED cameras or maybe Linus will need to get even higher resolution cameras. :P

Detailed News release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sharp-aquos-8k-simultaneously-launched-in-four-regions-worldwide-300512873.html

Sharp Press Release: http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/170831.html

EDIT:  I guess it'll be starting at around 70-inches from Tech Spot

https://www.techspot.com/news/70822-sharp-announces-70-inch-8k-tv-thoroughly-outdating.html

EDIT 2:  To add to all of the 8K craze, Philips will also be releasing a 32-inch 8K monitor in 2018 to compete with Dell's 8K monitor...  So i guess everyone's 4K equipment is now out of date so if you want to sell it cheap to me, I'll gladly upgrade some of my 1080 and 2160 stuff... xD  As for specs, this one will be a 31.5" IPS panel sporting a 60Hz refresh, 400 nit brightness, 100% AdobeRGB.  Input will be by two Displayport 1.3 cables, but it will also have a USB-A and USB-C connector for a hub and two 3-watt speakers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11806/philips-demos-328p8k-8k-uhd-lcd-coming-in-2018

Philips is the second mass-market brand to announce an 8K monitor after Dell, which has been selling its UltraSharp UP3218K for about half of a year now. The primary target audiences for the 328P8K and the UP3218K are designers, engineers, photographers and other professionals looking for maximum resolution and accurate colors. Essentially, Dell's 8K LCD is going to get a rival supporting the same resolution.

At present, TPV reveals only basic specifications of its Philips 328P8K display — 31.5” IPS panel with a 7680x4320 resolution, a 400 nits brightness (which it calls HDR 400) and presumably a 60 Hz refresh rate. When it comes to color spaces, TPV confirms that the 328P8K supports 100% of the AdobeRGB, which emphasizes that the company positions the product primarily for graphics professionals. When it comes to connectivity, everything seems to be similar to Dell’s 8K monitor: the Philips 8K display will use two DP 1.3 cables in order to avoid using DP 1.4 with Display Stream Compression 1.2 and ensure a flawless and accurate image quality.

It is noteworthy that the final version of the 328P8K will be equipped with a webcam (something the current model lacks), two 3W speakers as well as USB-A and at least one USB-C port “allowing USB-C docking and simultaneous notebook charging”. In order to support USB-C docking with this 8K monitor, the laptop has to support DP 1.4 alternate mode over USB-C and at present, this tech is not supported by shipping PCs. In the meantime, since in the future USB-C may be used a display output more widely, the USB-C input in the Philips 328P8K seems like a valuable future-proof feature (assuming, of course, it fully supports DP 1.4 alt mode over USB-C).

Philips does not disclose whose panel it uses for the monitor, but given that the specs of the Philips 328P8K are similar to those of the UP3218K, it is highly likely that both models use the same panel from LG Display (with whom TPV has a joint venture in China). Meanwhile, Dell’s UP3218K ended up supporting 98% of the DCI-P3 color gamut (in addition to 100% of the AdobeRGB and 100% of the sRGB color spaces), hence, if the panels are the same, the Philips 328P8K may well support DCI-P3 as well. In fact, the company has published a marketing rendering of the 328P8K that displays the Adobe Photoshop CC working under macOS. Apple has been gradually transiting its own devices to P3-supporting displays for some time now and therefore offering Apple customers a non-P3 monitor in 2018 does not seem like a bright idea. So I'd be surprised if we don't see DCI support in the final version.

Edited by WMGroomAK
Additional 8K displays

... This seems like more of a gimmick than anything else. Seriously, it's not like there's a big difference between 1440 and 4k, and now 4k and 8k? Honestly I doubt an average person will be able to tell the difference

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

$9,000 for a 7" 8k is really not that bad of a price seeing how some OLEDs are still that price. 

hmmm thats some crazy, CRAZY PPI

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Still waiting for 4K 24inch monitor beside that Dell monitor that they release a few years back.

I think high-DPI displays is the way forward, like our phones.

Smoother text, more detailed icons, images from camera fit on your screen, not to mention, and this is up to you and you preference, like your phone, reduce the DPI scaling and to make things a bit smaller (say 150% over 175%), to gain more work space.

Seriously, today every display is high-DPI, including laptops, and tablets... except our desktop computer screens, which we interact the most with, and sit up close (well, more so than a TV by a considerable margin)

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:
4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

$9,000 for a 7" 8k is really not that bad of a price seeing how some OLEDs are still that price. 

hmmm thats some crazy, CRAZY PPI

1599691,4175506268081002892960463 to be exact :D

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Still waiting for 4K 24inch monitor beside that Dell monitor that they release a few years back.

Smoother text, more detailed icons, images from camera fit on your screen, not to mention, and this is up to you and you preference, like your phone, reduce the DPI scaling and to make things a bit smaller (say 150% over 175%), to gain more work space.

Seriously, today every display is high-DPI, including laptops, and tablets... except our desktop computer screens

i like my screens a bit on the larger side tbh, 1440p 32" is my main atm, but higher PPI is really nice too, so this size at 4K/8K is what i really want, 1440p was no real increase in PPI over my 27" 1080p

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Seriously, today every display is high-DPI, including laptops, and tablets... except our desktop computer screens, which we interact the most with, and sit up close (well, more so than a TV by a considerable margin)

I guess Philips will be releasing their own 32-inch 8K (275 PPI) monitor if that helps... Still not scaled down to 24-inches, but at least is a higher resolution than 4K (184 PPI) so you are getting a higher PPI count...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11806/philips-demos-328p8k-8k-uhd-lcd-coming-in-2018

27 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

$9,000 for a 70" 8k is really not that bad of a price seeing how some OLEDs are still that price. 

I agree, not bad at all.

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Part of the problem is pixel scaling is rather horrible on Windows. What would you count as "high-DPI" anyway? I'm just tying to see where it all fits in.

The 70" 8k (assuming double pixel dimensions of UHD) works out at 126 ppi.

My current gaming monitor is 24" 1440p is 122 dpi. I find desktop things slightly on the small side at 100%, and hate the look of scaling so wont touch it.

If I had got the 27" 1440p instead, that's 109 ppi and about right for me at 100%.

My laptop is 15" 1080p, 147 ppi. I still run it 100% but it is an eye test. I can't afford to waste pixel area.

I think for high-DPI on desktop to take off, it needs to be REALLY higher. Like ball park double or more of a typical monitor. That would finally provide enough pixel density to allow scaling to work ok, AND the display should allow a good native scaling so that for gaming you can run it at lower GPU output res without looking looking badly scaled. Your requested 24" 4k (UHD) I make 184 ppi, so it is getting there.

BTW on phones, I've seen high DPI displays, and the text does look slightly better, but I don't care. Unless tech has progressed sufficiently since I last looked, you get better battery life at 1080p which is sufficient for anything short of a tablet, and save a ton of power on the driving of the screen.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

50 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

... This seems like more of a gimmick than anything else. Seriously, it's not like there's a big difference between 1440 and 4k, and now 4k and 8k? Honestly I doubt an average person will be able to tell the difference

Not a big difference between 1440 and 4k? It's over double the pixels.. It's quite a clear difference. I can't speak for 4k vs 8k but the difference between 1440 and 4k is huge

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

12 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Not a big difference between 1440 and 4k? It's over double the pixels.. It's quite a clear difference. I can't speak for 4k vs 8k but the difference between 1440 and 4k is huge

Yes the difference is huge, it's over half but with 4k to 8k it feels less of an upgrade, at least for me.

And is there any content actually available in 8k?

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

1 hour ago, Ginger137 said:

I believe at 28 inches (it's 31) you would need to be within 14 inches of the display to notice a difference between it and a 4k monitor 

So I'm definitely not sold on this because a monitor would be around 20-30 inches away for me to actually use and enjoy it at 31 inches anyway. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

34 minutes ago, porina said:

Part of the problem is pixel scaling is rather horrible on Windows. What would you count as "high-DPI" anyway? I'm just tying to see where it all fits in.

For the most part, Windows itself scales perfectly well.

What you are referring are some programs, like Steam, still live in the stone ages and aren't high-DPI aware. This is like downloading a phone app, and it is not high-DPI aware, so your finger cover 5 buttons on the screen and text requires a magnifying glass to read (or the phone scales the app up, and everything is blurry, like how early iPhone apps assume iPhone specific specs, and when the doors opened to iPad all these apps were scaled huge and blurry until the code base was updated for multi-screen resolution and High-DPI aware (to reflect the different screen resolutions)).

This will come with time. Already, many apps have been updated, and even many games.

FileZiila, Office, Visual Studio, NetBeans, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Paint.NET, CCleaner, Photoshop, and many other apps are all high-DPI aware.

BTW on phones, I've seen high DPI displays, and the text does look slightly better, but I don't care. Unless tech has progressed sufficiently since I last looked, you get better battery life at 1080p which is sufficient for anything short of a tablet, and save a ton of power on the driving of the screen.

I think the ultimate goal of phone manufacturer is 1 day battery life. As this is the average battery life of most phone (beside feature phones/dumb phones) since the early days (and the big early days phone, had 30min of battery life if you did calls). The market wants thinner phones, and large display ones. Personally, I agree, but to some extent. I find the phone thickness of 3-4 years ago is fine. Why go thinner, I also want more battery life.

But manufactures will focus on:

• OLED display to help push the battery life
  • Dark/black theme OS (making the OLED consume less battery life)
  • More power efficient SoC

Anyway that is a different topic.

I am not saying 16k on 24inch is a must.. of course there is a diminish return. but 4K on 24inch.. much like 4K powered laptop on their 15inch screens, or devices like the Surface series, look gorgeous and a joy to use due to their higher resolution. When I use my Surface Pro for a while, and then look at my 750$ top of the line 24inch IPS display of 2009, it s like I am looking at a 17inch 800x600 display, where you clearly see all the pixels, and the text is not as sharp and so on.

12 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

it is, and 8k is 4x 4k, but it doesn't look that. movies and such look a little better on 4k vs 1440, but you dont sit down and go "wow, that is 4x better than 1440" Excel and other more static and text based stuff looks cleaner and crisper, but not 4x as much as the lower res, unless your talking about under 1080, which definitely has huge, noticeable steps up.

Point being, 4k looks great, but the difference compared to 8k is not going to look huge. there might be 4x the pixels, but its not going to look that way

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

2 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

There is a huge difference between 4k and 1440p. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Pfff only 9000$, let me get 10 of those xD

/s

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Awesome seeing 8K coming along and steady. Definitely more interested in monitors hence that great pixel density. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

I can't even tell the difference between 1080 and 4k from a distance of 3 meters

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

58 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Awesome seeing 8K coming along and steady. Definitely more interested in monitors hence that great pixel density. 

I could see 8K TVs being very useful in displaying picture slideshows. Throw a bunch of family pictures on a flashdrive, put it into the TV, and start the slideshow. Also, 2d games can also benefit (at today's performance).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

26 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I could see 8K TVs being very useful in displaying picture slideshows. Throw a bunch of family pictures on a flashdrive, put it into the TV, and start the slideshow. Also, 2d games can also benefit (at today's performance).

Sure anything can benefit of very high pixel density until we can no longer distinguish difference without putting our eyes on screen even.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

A couple of weeks ago I looked at some 4k TVs

at a meter away, with a 65", you can just START to see the pixels. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.