What is your opinion about LTT's new style?

It's terrible. It went from genuinely interesting and still entertaining to random humour. Personally it stated with the "Like if you want to see..." crap a year or two ago and just got progressively worse. 

Hardware Canucks has a far better format even if they are cringy in parts and their voices are incredibly annoying to me. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I do hope it's a temporary "trial" in terms of style for their videos and general presentation, I understand and appreciate they need to make a few clickbaity meme filled videos for drawing in new viewers every now and then but for those who have been watching since let's say 2014 or so that we would prefer them to keep up quality rather than pushing polished turds in our faces

I like it, videos can get extremely boring when someone's just talking in front of a camera.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I like the style of video they have just now, it's entertaining and still packed with information.

That being said I think it's lost the personal touch of old LTT videos. The "walk in the rain" video about intel was the most real video he put out in a long time, and it wasn't until seeing that that I realised that we don't really see that style anymore.

New videos feel really scripted, and honestly I think the channel is at it's best without being scripted. Its more engaging when it feels natural, but I guess that's the issue with have such a large team. There's no way you could make so many videos without having scriptwriters to take a lot of the load off of Linus I understand that, but when doing that it feels less "Linus Tech Tips".

Clickbait tites and thumbnails? Sure I don't care as long as the video is good.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

1 hour ago, Tartanskittles said:

New videos feel really scripted, and honestly I think the channel is at it's best without being scripted. Its more engaging when it feels natural, but I guess that's the issue with have such a large team. There's no way you could make so many videos without having scriptwriters to take a lot of the load off of Linus I understand that, but when doing that it feels less "Linus Tech Tips".

Just want to point out that the "walking in the rain talking about Intel" was very much scripted, or at the very least he had a bunch of keywords written down to remind himself of what to say. You can see him look at his phone before and after finishing sentences at several points in the video.

1 hour ago, thegreengamers said:

I like it, videos can get extremely boring when someone's just talking in front of a camera.

I don't agree.

I think a video gets boring if:

1) There are some glaring issues like the speaker being very nervous (and showing it), not talking clearly, technical issues, or things like that.

2) The subject isn't interesting to me.

I think a lot of people Linus are trying to appeal to are in the latter category. They do not watch Linus' videos because they are very interested in the architectural differences between Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake. They watch to see Linus as well as random memes which they think are funny, like Linus dropping something.

Edit:

I am not saying that one category of viewers are superior to another, but there is a clear distinction between different types of viewers, and they will want different things. I think Linus is trying to figure out how to cater to as many people as possible but it will result in some category of viewers feeling abandoned and neglected.

I started feeling neglected a long time ago and as a result I stopped watching LTT (except for every once in a while). For every person like me that stopped watching because of the new direction the channel is heading, 10 more people started viewing for the same reason.

6 hours ago, emosun said:

even though it was prefaced with me agreeing that his newer style is better. god I'm getting real sick of people who skip and skim posts

Explain why you repeatedly mentioned clinical and cold then and how I am skiping and skiing posts? Maybe if you made your points more concise people wouldn't have that problem with your posts. 

From long time ago their video style changed from tech video/unboxing and some form of immature humor to "LOL!! WTF DUDE!! CHECK THIS OUT I GOT THIS 10000000 DOLLAR PC NOW AM I COOL OR NOT???!!!!! SAY IM COOL!!!!" 

And their videos are not that even informative anymore. Feels like ads with stupid jokes. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

22 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Just want to point out that the "walking in the rain talking about Intel" was very much scripted, or at the very least he had a bunch of keywords written down to remind himself of what to say. You can see him look at his phone before and after finishing sentences at several points in the video.

It's of course a good thing to have talking points to keep the video on point. With the new version the entire script is written out and pretty much read word for word, and I feel like that has changed the general feel of the videos.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

9 hours ago, jcw150 said:

Do you watch the entirety of gamers nexuses videos? He is quite good at the detail but for me is such an uninteresting person to watch and listen too.

Kinda agree about LTT as you can tell they are quite uniformed when watching the WAN show.

This is an important distinction and shows many styles exist:

1) People that goof around while they're still talking about the tech they love: Linus, Austin, Kyle, etc.

2) People that talk tech and some details but are just kind of casual: Jay, Paul, Salazar, Techdeals, etc.

3) People that get extremely technical but can overwhelm with info: Wendell, Tony from OC3D, Gamers Nexus

List goes on. Watch who you like I don't really care. But Linus has always been dancing between group 1 and group 2. He's leaning more on 1 lately and that's fine with me as long as we don't go back to gpu pizza oven levels again.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The videos are more lighwieght but they still contain the same amount of information from what I'm seeing. I mean, look at the Nvidia drivers video(the one about nvidia downgrading gpu performance). In the past, they would have never been able to make such a thorough review but now they can since they have more members in the team so they can afford to throw in a few memes. Also, Gamer Nexus is 99% plain information, so the majority of viewers would not be interested, as it adresses a very niche audience. Personally I am ok with the new LTT style as the information is made more accesible to the audience and it makes people who are not as interested in tech to be drawn in (personal example: a friend of mine started watching LTT after I told him about it and he is not so interested in tech but he likes Linus's style and now he begins to get more and more drawn into tech) .

Another day, another thread opened to complain about LTT's videos. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you are looking for a more technical and serious YouTube channel try Level1Techs, I enjoy new LTT but I do think sometimes the editing gets a bit over the top. However, to stay profitable and earn enough money to live and grow a business you have to make changes. LTT has changed and if you really don't enjoy it then don't watch it, its the only way for them to truly know if the changes they are making are for the better.

The point where I unsubscribed was when they plastidipped a whole computer... why?

Whenever I watch their reviews it feels a bit half assed IMO. All of their videos feel like they are declining in quality (content wise). Their topics seem rushed and testing seems flawed in some cases. Rather than make a video a day I think they should have uploaded every couple of days. It feels like tgey got sucked into the pewdiepie paradox.

Though it's not unique to ltt, I got sick of all the RGB this and $7000 that. A video covering expensive products is fine and all, but it gets boring after a while.

It almost feels like their channel is promoting a level of pc eleitism with the type of products they feature on their channel on a regular basis. But again, they aren't the only channeo that does this.

I did like their video on the quantum computer though, I found it interesting.

I'll stick with GN, HWunboxed or Pauls HW for reviews.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed are too dry for me. With GN especially, because his videos tend to be long and very detailed, I never make it more than halfway through no matter how interested I am. I immediately search to see if Jay, LTT, Bitwit, or Science Studio have done a video on it because they're more entertaining and/or concise.

I like light-heartedness and entertainment in my educational videos. Personally, I like LTT the best, but it often feels to me like they're having trouble coming up with real content (recent examples include the wall mounted computer, the razer toaster, cheapest PC case, and the Apple game console), so many of their videos lack any seriousness at all. It's fine to have videos just for fun on occasion, but to me it feels a bit too frequent.

6 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed are too dry for me. With GN especially, because his videos tend to be long and very detailed, I never make it more than halfway through no matter how interested I am. I immediately search to see if Jay, LTT, Bitwit, or Science Studio have done a video on it because they're more entertaining and/or concise.

I like light-heartedness and entertainment in my educational videos. Personally, I like LTT the best, but it often feels to me like they're having trouble coming up with real content (recent examples include the wall mounted computer, the razer toaster, cheapest PC case, and the Apple game console), so many of their videos lack any seriousness at all. It's fine to have videos just for fun on occasion, but to me it feels a bit too frequent.

I think they should make more builds and computer part reviews.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

29 minutes ago, JDE said:

I think they should make more builds and computer part reviews.

I agree, and maybe use builds to illustrate how certain cases and hardware work together, like what can or can't fit, or if motherboard X will prevent cooling option Y from being mounted at the top of the case, or are the cable openings in good places for motherboard Z's cabling, etc.

I, personally, get very little value out of their super high end builds or crazy-for-the-sake-of-crazy builds. I like to think most of their audience are budget-conscious gamers like myself. Sure, sometimes fun to watch the crazy-for-crazy builds, but there seems to be more focus on that kind of content from all the tech channels, not just LTT, like $1000 processors, dual $1000 monitors, 1080 Tis in SLI, and a full custom loop with hard tubing and other stuff most of us will never use. I like to know about high end gear, but I care much more about stuff I can actually afford and justify purchasing.

16 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Someone has said exactly the same thing every single year.

Heh... it kinda feels that way, doesn't it? :P

It's always funny to me when I see people "hearken back to the days before dick jokes." Please, show me when those days were. Linus has been making dick jokes and sexual innuendos since day one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - most people have rose colored glasses when thinking back on our old content. And in some cases, these complaints come down to the viewer changing as much as they come down to changes with our actual content.

Now, with that said... in this case I do agree that we have changed a lot over the past 6 months. Some of that is by design, and some of that is just a learning process. We have five new writers on staff as of this year. Most, if not all of them, had never written a full-on tech video in our style before they started here. So I think it should be pretty obvious that there will be a growth process - maybe they're adding too many memes, maybe they're adding too many dick jokes, but they're learning and they're getting MUCH better. I'm incredibly proud of the work that every single one of our guys is putting in because, in the long term, the diversity of opinion and interests is what will make our content continue to improve and continue to serve our audience day in and day out. So yes, there will be some growing pains, but we're focusing on the long term here, and to be honest we're already seeing massive, massive improvement.

Similar thing goes for our editing staff. We have the old guard, but we also have new faces who are learning. And with these creative roles we don't want to put people in a box and say "this is the form of our videos, you must do x y z and never experiment." Sometimes these experiments lead to incredible results, sometimes they fall flat. But it's an important step in the process that I do not want to unnecessarily stifle.

13 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Kinda wished they did more of the Linus Walks stuff.

Because I can really tell that many people like that sort of video, especially with Linus walking in the rain on the streets of Taipei while talking about his concerns with X299 and then doing the same at a zoo but about the current iPad Pro and its 120Hz display 

"Always leave them wanting more"

It's a great series and we don't want it to get stale - we're saving it for truly impactful topics so that you guys continue to enjoy them in the long term :) 

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Their big projects now revolve on the expense for the wow factor, and not for something unique.

I really don't know how you can try to claim that 16K gaming, Sleeper PC, Project Orhtrus (which we had a world exclusive on), and the Taiwanese Recycling showcase video aren't "unique" projects or videos. Feels like you're framing reality to fit your narrative rather than actually basing your judgement off of the content that we're releasing.

The whole point of our channel is to take technology to the extreme and do something that the average viewer couldn't do on their own, whether that's getting a cool experience or tackling a huge project.

10 hours ago, Tartanskittles said:

90-95% of our videos have been scripted for the last 3 years. As mentioned above, we have some relatively new writers on staff so there are some growing pains, but that should be a short term issue.

Linus Tech Tips has been scripted since before 1 million subscribers.

The Razer toaster video was the final nail for me, I've unsubbed. that was such a cringy video, this comment summed it up perfectly for me.

"Please go back to your roots. The new 8K camera doesn't fix garbage content."

-Reese Russell

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, nicklmg said:

really don't know how you can try to claim that 16K gaming, Sleeper PC, Project Orhtrus (which we had a world exclusive on), and the Taiwanese Recycling showcase video aren't "unique" projects or videos. Feels like you're framing reality to fit your narrative rather than actually basing your judgement off of the content that we're releasing.

The whole point of our channel is to take technology to the extreme and do something that the average viewer couldn't do on their own, whether that's getting a cool experience or tackling a huge project.

16K - Eyefinity and NV Surround with more money thrown at it by way of GPUs and monitors. Just 8K gaming scaled up.

Sleeper PC - Not really unique. It's actually a fairly generic idea that just doesn't get that much lime light.

Orhtrus - Again, not really a unique idea. You built a PC, in a PC case. A small PC case. So fucking original. It's not like you guys designed your own case.

Quite frankly, treating those as being unique or original requires lying to oneself or living under a rock.

And none of those are nearly as interesting as whole room watercooling, or doing projects that the average viewer could learn. Instead of doing things viewers can't simply because they can't afford it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

16K - Eyefinity and NV Surround with more money thrown at it by way of GPUs and monitors. Just 8K gaming scaled up.

Sleeper PC - Not really unique. It's actually a fairly generic idea that just doesn't get that much lime light.

Orhtrus - Again, not really a unique idea. You built a PC, in a PC case. A small PC case. So fucking original. It's not like you guys designed your own case.

Quite frankly, treating those as being unique or original requires lying to oneself or living under a rock.

And none of those are nearly as interesting as whole room watercooling, or doing projects that the average viewer could learn. Instead of doing things viewers can't simply because they can't afford it.

To each their own I guess! I wish you all the best in finding content that you enjoy :) 

@nicklmg The video about the wall-mounted PC is a perfect example why things are clearly different and not how they used to be.

A lot of time and work went into it, multiple days and a LOT happened between the idea and the end result.

Why didn't you guys took the time to film more of it and make like 2-3 episodes out of it?

The impression i got from the video was basically everything quickly thrown together to keep it all as short as possible and to finish it asap. It felt very rushed...

There was even enough for a few cliffhangers! But nope, it all got thrown in a 6-7 minute video + a few ads and that was it then...

Compare that to the ultimate DIY desk pc build you guys did recently, similar idea but video wise completely different execution. You could easily call the wall one the Ultimate DIY wall-mounted pc and cut it in multiple parts, but that didn't happen...

I mean the video isn't bad, you still put time and effort in it and it shows but, there's imo no love anymore in them... When are you guys going to do something stupid again? :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I wished they did another crazy project.

And then do it in a similar style as how the Mighty Car Mods duo does it.

It's gonna be MAAAAAAD.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

TBH from watching LTT videos on daily basis (especially during the Vessel "era"), I am watching LTT videos really rarely these days. The last two that I've watched were quantum computer one and revisited 16K one. I found those to be really good videos, the rest of the new ones, not so much. 

Also, since we are criticizing everything, I really dislike when Linus and Luke are (trying) doing DIY builds by themselves (eg. case mods, speakers etc) because in the end in 99% of the cases the end result will look like shit. Let's just remember fire hazard server room disaster. I understand that Linus told that he was doing the server room insulation because he likes to do those kind of stuff. I perfectly understand, HOWEVER, FFS hire professional. On the other hands, there were some projects where they had help from outside like from Linus's father in desk build and it ended up being a good looking project. To summarize, if they know what they are doing (eg. PC builds) they usually make a good video. If not, just hire someone who knows their shit.

Why does these threads even exist? It won't change a damn thing, and nobody really cares about your rant, is just eagerly wanting to put their rants as well to get some likes and this goes until Linus ends up addressing the issue and making every one happy so in 2 posts later the mods close it and that's it.... it changed bloody nothing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)