AMD RX Vega reviews

thexzenon
Just now, tjcater said:

Surprised that no one is mentioning undervolting + HBM2 OC

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3020-amd-rx-vega-56-review-undervoltage-hbm-vs-core

They just want to sh*t over a problematic gpu launch. I'm not sure but it looks like some fatures are STILL turned off by default. Why AMD? WHY?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

9 minutes ago, Agost said:

They just want to sh*t over a problematic gpu launch. I'm not sure but it looks like some fatures are STILL turned off by default. Why AMD? WHY?

Deadlines promised to investors and a need to just launch. 

Ye ole' train

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

We're waiting for vega (lol it'a a meme) since Polaris launch. Isn't one year enough? They're crippling performance this way.

Moreover, what's wrong with the idle clocks? 850 MHz? wtf?

Just now, Agost said:

We're waiting for vega (lol it'a a meme) since Polaris launch. Isn't one year enough? They're crippling performance this way.

The software is bugged. The clocks showed are different from the actual clocks, Gamers Nexus mentioned it.

Just now, WereCat said:

The software is bugged. The clocks showed are different from the actual clocks, Gamers Nexus mentioned it.

Same idle clocks on Vega FE, which afaik didn't have these bugs

28 minutes ago, Agost said:

18 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

16 minutes ago, Agost said:

It occurs to me that AMD promised more mature drivers at launch this time around, all the way back in like February. Since some of the game changing features are still missing my guess is that they're most likely going to fail on that promise as well.

But there might be some level of strategy here. Take this with as much salt as the dead sea but hear me out: Maybe those features are not switched on yet because they know they're behind the curve so they need em to do a "refresh" when Volta comes out and with that they'll be able to edge out more performance out of Vega (or rather Vega-refresh) in addition to the usual just better process gains.

I know we're all having fun laughing at their incompetence but maybe AMD is competent within their incompetence and prefer to have a middling launch right now than show their full hand today and give Nvidia enough room to maneuver Volta whereas they might be keeping performance gains via drivers in their backpocket to address the future too. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

That has to be the dumbest thing i've ever read. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 hour ago, dorin said:

So, it is ok to buy a semi failed product just to keep the company from bankruptcy? What would stop the company from doing the same thing over and over again knowing that the money will be there every time? I'm not saying that it will be better without AMD on the market, on the contrary. The product was nowhere near the hype AMD created regarding Vega. This is what we need to boycott: the hype that AMD is creating regarding one product and then under delivers with no consequences. Remember the game preordering boycott? 

AMD certainly isn't dragging behind by choice. According to statements made by Raja in the previous year, AMD effectively shut down their serious graphics development in expectance that high-performance gaming was phasing out. When Raja left Apple and returned to AMD in 2013, AMD had been only releasing minor refreshes of the same GPU for the previous 3 years. Raja said that he really pressed AMD to start making graphics development a focus again, but that there was a lot of ground they had to cover to catch up with Nvidia - and that they wouldn't be able to do it in a single GPU generation. The first AMD GPUs released by AMD since Raja returned is Polaris - and Vega's architecture was finalized around the time that Polaris released.

So, Polaris and Vega are both partial steps during the process for AMD to close the gap between them and Nvidia.

Boycotting AMD isn't going to help, since they're already doing what they can to close the gap, and just have to deal with the concessions until they've full managed to do so. AMD hyping their products is likely a necessity for AMD's graphics division to be able to survive financially long enough for them to get back on their feet.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

AMD certainly isn't dragging behind by choice. According to statements made by Raja in the previous year, AMD effectively shut down their serious graphics development in expectance that high-performance gaming was phasing out. When Raja left Apple and returned to AMD in 2013, AMD had been only releasing minor refreshes of the same GPU for the previous 3 years. Raja said that he really pressed AMD to start making graphics development a focus again, but that there was a lot of ground they had to cover to catch up with Nvidia - and that they wouldn't be able to do it in a single GPU generation. The first AMD GPUs released by AMD since Raja returned is Polaris - and Vega's architecture was finalized around the time that Polaris released.

So, Polaris and Vega are both partial steps during the process for AMD to close the gap between them and Nvidia.

Boycotting AMD isn't going to help, since they're already doing what they can to close the gap, and just have to deal with the concessions until they've full managed to do so. AMD hyping their products is likely a necessity for AMD's graphics division to be able to survive financially long enough for them to get back on their feet.

It also isn't in the best interest to the consumer to buy a worse product just so you can "keep them alive". Buy what is good and that certainly isn't VEGA unless you do OpenCL work.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

8 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

It also isn't in the best interest to the consumer to buy a worse product just so you can "keep them alive". Buy what is good and that certainly isn't VEGA unless you do OpenCL work.

There are plenty of people in the position of having FreeSync monitors who need to weigh the pros and cons of buying Vega versus an Nvidia GPU.

In this case, supporting AMD makes some sense, since if not enough people do, they'll be handing Nvidia a monopoly, and we've already had a taste of what happens to GPU prices when Nvidia isn't challenged. Whatever over-spending per value a person might do to help AMD reach their next step in closing the gap, it might be significantly less than what everybody will be over-spending if AMD fails to close the gap with Nvidia and Nvidia gains a permanent monopoly on the GPU market.

Likewise, we have already seen what happens to CPU prices and technological progress when Intel has a monopoly on the CPU market: People were over-paying for unimpressive refreshes with little to no IPC increases, with no gains in core-counts, and with worsening TIM quality.

Boycotting AMD, who is the only competitor to Nvidia, would be boycotting future GPU technological improvements and competitive pricing for everybody.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

I agree 100%. Nobody should buy a product based on how bad a company is doing financially,buy whats good for your interest not for a company especially when these companies don't care about you only your wallet that goes for all of them. Corporations aren't people and they sure aren't your friends,

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

There are plenty of people in the position of having FreeSync monitors who need to weigh the pros and cons of buying Vega versus an Nvidia GPU.

In this case, supporting AMD makes some sense, since if not enough people do, they'll be handing Nvidia a monopoly, and we've already had a taste of what happens to GPU prices when Nvidia isn't challenged. Whatever over-spending per value a person might do to help AMD reach their next step in closing the gap, it might be significantly less than what everybody will be over-spending if AMD fails to close the gap with Nvidia and Nvidia gains a permanent monopoly on the GPU market.

Yes people with Freesync montiors can also care but not even at VEGA 56. Fury/980ti/Vega56/1070 all perform at right around the same ball park and once you move up to Vega 64 you have an overpriced, high power GTX 1080.

That still silly. Ok. Lets buy the overpriced crap that performs the same as last year. Just to support a company that isn't producing a good product at this range. The RX 500 cards are all super good at their pricing. Those are the ones that should be bought. Not these unless you fit some very fine circumstance.

6 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

That still silly. Ok. Lets buy the overpriced crap that performs the same as last year.

But that's precisely the situation that you'll end up in by boycotting Nvidia's only competitor.

Also, boycotting means making an effort to not buy a product to not support the manufacturer - not to simply not buy what is unreasonable.

And maybe I edited this into my previous post before you read it:

Likewise, we have already seen what happens to CPU prices and technological progress when Intel has a monopoly on the CPU market: People were over-paying for unimpressive refreshes with little to no IPC increases, with no gains in core-counts, and with worsening TIM quality.

Boycotting AMD, who is the only competitor to Nvidia, would be boycotting future GPU technological improvements and competitive pricing for everybody.

And when AMD didn't have a response to Polaris, Nvidia jacked up their GPU prices by a lot, and introduced their FE premium charge.

So, the over-paying silliness that you mention is historically proven to be the consequence to having no competitor to Intel or Nvidia. So, by boycotting AMD, people would be ensuring that what you're criticizing would become the only available option for the long-term. The only way to try to ensure that over-priced inferior performance doesn't become the norm is for AMD to succeed enough to continue closing the gap between them and Nvidia.

But that's precisely the situation that you'll end up in by boycotting Nvidia's only competitor.

Also, boycotting means making an effort to not buy a product to not support the manufacturer - not to simply not buy what is unreasonable.

And when AMD didn't have a response to Polaris, Nvidia jacked up their GPU prices by a lot, and introduced their FE premium charge.

So, the silliness that you mention is historically proven to be the consequence to having no competitor to Intel or Nvidia. So, by boycotting AMD, people would be ensuring that what you're criticizing would become the only available option for the long-term.

You appear to not understand what on earth a boycott is. 

Boycott - an act of voluntary and intentional abstention from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for social, political, or environmental reasons.

Me saying don't buy VEGA isn't a protest of AMD. It's saying don't buy a shit product. For god's sake I said to BUY POLARIS. That is a great product. That's what people should buy from AMD if they are gamers.

If anything someone would buy AMD for their patents alone if they got to the point they can't do anything in the market. Who's fault would it be? It sure as hell isn't the consumer for not wanting a worse product.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

So, the silliness that you mention is historically proven to be the consequence to having no competitor to Intel or Nvidia. So, by boycotting AMD, people would be ensuring that what you're criticizing would become the only available option for the long-term.

So basically you want people to put their interest behind in favor of a corporation. Hell no that is some anti consumer trash. you should buy whats good for you not for the corporation. it's not the consumer fault AMD is in this position its their own and we shouldn't bare with a product that doesn't meet our interest for the good of a corporation that doesn't care about you. 

17 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

You appear to not understand what on earth a boycott is. 

Boycott - an act of voluntary and intentional abstention from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for social, political, or environmental reasons.

Me saying don't buy VEGA isn't a protest of AMD. It's saying don't buy a shit product. For god's sake I said to BUY POLARIS. That is a great product. That's what people should buy from AMD if they are gamers.

If anything someone would buy AMD for their patents alone if they got to the point they can't do anything in the market. Who's fault would it be? It sure as hell isn't the consumer for not wanting a worse product.

It is obvious that you either don't understand what a boycott is, or are just tripping over your own words to try to save face over a simple correction - so, seriously, please don't pretense to be teaching anyone else.

Me saying don't buy VEGA isn't a protest of AMD.

A boycott is specifically an action of protest. And if you are boycotting an AMD product, you are boycotting AMD. However, my argument was not that you were advocating for a blanket boycott of all AMD products, so I don't know why you're acting defensive as if I'm giving you crap for having advocated boycotting everything of AMD - because I clearly haven't suggested that you did such a thing.

It's saying don't buy a shit product.

That's not called a boycott, that's called be smart with your money. A boycott is an ideological action. Abstaining from purchasing is not a polar action against a product or company - but boycotting is a polar action against a product or company. You mentioned a boycott.

Get your head together, and don't take everything I say absurdly out of context.

16 minutes ago, Demonking said:

So basically you want people to put their interest behind in favor of a corporation. Hell no that is some anti consumer trash. you should buy whats good for you not for the corporation. it's not the consumer fault AMD is in this position its their own and we shouldn't bare with a product that doesn't meet our interest for the good of a corporation that doesn't care about you. 

No, I argued that people should not boycott a product that has its uses and when doing so will harm consumer interests in the long term. A choice to boycott AMD via boycotting their newest and flagship product would be the long-term anti-consumer choice.

Not boycotting doesn't mean you go out and buy all of their products. Let me direct you towards a dictionary, so that you might learn and understand what you're arguing about: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/boycott

Are you two on Nvidia's payroll or something? Because I find it hard to otherwise grasp how statements could so stupidly become twisted out of context.

It is obvious that you either don't understand what a boycott is, or are just tripping over your own words to try to save face over a simple correction - so, seriously, please don't pretense to be teaching anyone else.

A boycott is specifically an action of protest. And if you are boycotting an AMD product, you are boycotting AMD. However, my argument was not that you were advocating for a boycott of AMD, so I don't know why you're acting defensive as if I'm giving you crap for having advocated boycotting everything of AMD - because I clearly haven't suggested that you did such a thing.

That's not called a boycott, that's called be smart with your money. A boycott is an ideological action.

Get your head together, and don't take everything I say absurdly out of context.

No, I argued that people should not boycott a product that has its uses and when doing so will harm consumer interests in the long term. A choice to boycott AMD via boycotting their newest and flagship product would be the long-term anti-consumer choice.

Not boycotting doesn't mean you go out and buy all of their products. Let me direct you towards a dictionary, so that you might learn and understand what you're arguing about: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/boycott

Are you two on Nvidia's payroll or something? Because I find it hard to otherwise grasp how statements could so stupidly become twisted out of context.

Wtf are you smoking? You kept using the word boycott and I called you on it. I have never said to boycott AMD I said not to buy a shit product, WHICH YOU AGREE IS BEING SMART WITH YOUR MONEY. You are contradicting yourself while trying to say that I am wrong. You said that it would end up boycotting AMD which is NOT what I ever said to do. I'm done here. You are the one twisting language. 

38 minutes ago, Demonking said:

I agree 100%. Nobody should buy a product based on how bad a company is doing financially,buy whats good for your interest not for a company especially when these companies don't care about you only your wallet that goes for all of them. Corporations aren't people and they sure aren't your friends,

Dont worry, amd will sell every card they make even if gamers don't want them. People needing this for professional applications and mining (did you see bitcoin prices today) will have much deeper pockets then gamers and you'll probably be lucky to get one by christmas. Its a 12.5-13 tflop card. That aspect combined with hbm 2 does beat the 1080ti and people who need the compute will buy this up.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

6 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Wtf are you smoking? You kept using the word boycott and I called you on it. I have never said to boycott AMD I said not to buy a shit product, WHICH YOU AGREE IS BEING SMART WITH YOUR MONEY. You are contradicting yourself while trying to say that I am wrong. You said that it would end up boycotting AMD which is NOT what I ever said to do. I'm done here. You are the one twisting language. 

Save it. You must have forgotten what discussion you entered yourself into. Here's a re-cap for you:

2 hours ago, dorin said:

So, it is ok to buy a semi failed product just to keep the company from bankruptcy? What would stop the company from doing the same thing over and over again knowing that the money will be there every time? I'm not saying that it will be better without AMD on the market, on the contrary. The product was nowhere near the hype AMD created regarding Vega. This is what we need to boycott: the hype that AMD is creating regarding one product and then under delivers with no consequences. Remember the game preordering boycott? 

49 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

46 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:
49 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You didn't call anybody on anything. You submitted an argument specifically concerning the merits of boycotting, and are now either pretending to be, or actually are oblivious to it.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Save it. You must have forgotten what discussion you entered yourself into. Here's a re-cap for you:

You didn't call anybody on anything. You commented on the discussion about boycotting.

Jesus Christ. He said boycott the hype not the damn company....

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

dorion advocated not buying a "semi-failed" product as a boycott to teach AMD a lesson, and compared it with not pre-ordering games. Since when do people buy hype with money?

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

May I add that it's doing so with most of its new features still disabled by drivers (rasterizer, HBCC, primitive shaders)? Sure, it's still a half-arsed rushed launch but if it's already on-par or beating the green team I think it's save to say FineWine will start doing its thing in a month or 2-3. 

[Citation Needed]

I would also like to know what you think those features are and what they will do to performance. There is a lot of misunderstanding about Vega right now and I certainly don't want more people just parroting the hype train on /r/AMD.

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You didn't call anybody on anything. You submitted an argument specifically concerning the merits of boycotting, and are now either pretending to be, or actually are oblivious to it.

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

dorion advocated not buying "semi-failed" product as a boycott to teach AMD a lesson, and compared it with not pre-ordering games. Since when do people buy hype with money?

Can we get back on topic please.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/