AMD RX Vega reviews

thexzenon
25 minutes ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

when is it coming anyways?

Depends on if you are referring to consumer products or not. Systems with Volta are already being implemented.

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's okay to hang on to the hype train buddy, but once it's off the rails and down the clif you can just let go...

Don't get me wrong, I'm still disappointed, but you shouldn't use wrong data to say you go for the green team.

As always, Vega works out of the efficiency range because AMD got something wrong since the early versions of GCN.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Ryzen is still beating Intel in professional software. 

Depends, which Intel CPU are you talking about? Because the 1700/1800X doesn't beat the 7820X in professional software :P

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

480/580 is faster than 390x and 980.

Nope, the 980 is faster than both the 580 and the 1060, especially if you overclock it (Dunno about the 390X)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Depends, which Intel CPU are you talking about? Because the 1700/1800X doesn't beat the 7820X in professional software :P

Nope, the 980 is faster than both the 580 and the 1060, especially if you overclock it (Dunno about the 390X)

Go through the list of games

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_vega_56_8gb_review,13.html

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

ahhh my 1070 is still somewhat relevant. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Amd needs ti lower the price of all the cards by like 100~150$ USD. Then it would be much more compelling

Given the current situation, people will be lucky to find Vega cards at MSRP.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Lmao. Oh, man. You're such a sad person. Zen is only weaker in games because they need to be retro patched. In the games that have received Ryzen patches, performance is great. Ryzen is still beating Intel in professional software. 480/580 is faster than 390x and 980.

Zen is only weaker because it's an inferior architecture, just accept the truth and move on, if it's hard to accept then at least don't glorify zen as Intel killer, it only kills everything above i5 7500, everything below is somewhat disappointing.

5 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Zen is only weaker because it's an inferior architecture, just accept the truth and move on, if it's hard to accept then at least don't glorify zen as Intel killer, it only kills everything above i5 7500, everything below is somewhat disappointing.

Not sure if troll or *this is against the CoC*

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well. It's just like I feared. Vega is only competing or slightly winning, but at double the power usage and over a year late. The only way I would have justified that power draw is if the 56 was similar to 1080 performance. And yeah yeah, I'm sure people are already on the wait for drivers shit, but I'm done waiting. My build I'm eventually building will have a EVGA 1070, end of story. AMD done fucked up.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

So, it is ok to buy a semi failed product just to keep the company from bankruptcy? What would stop the company from doing the same thing over and over again knowing that the money will be there every time? I'm not saying that it will be better without AMD on the market, on the contrary. The product was nowhere near the hype AMD created regarding Vega. This is what we need to boycott: the hype that AMD is creating regarding one product and then under delivers with no consequences. Remember the game preordering boycott? 

Somewhat disappointing. But from AMDs point of view they can probably sell every card they make to miners, so financially it's going to be a win, which is what they need.  And from our point of view the 56 combined with a 1440p Freesync monitor does look pretty appealing.

I wonder how much they could have lowered the price by if they went with GDDR 5 rather than HBM2?

7 minutes ago, dorin said:

So, it is ok to buy a semi failed product just to keep the company from bankruptcy? What would stop the company from doing the same thing over and over again knowing that the money will be there every time? I'm not saying that it will be better without AMD on the market, on the contrary. The product was nowhere near the hype AMD created regarding Vega. This is what we need to boycott: the hype that AMD is creating regarding one product and then under delivers with no consequences. Remember the game preordering boycott? 

next time quote me.

Most of the hype is created by us not AMD.

All I am saying is if Vega works for you and you are fine with it using more power then go ahead and get it. just don't avoid it at all costs.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

GCN us pretty much at its EoL at this point. It's great for raw compute, but at the powerdraw of SLI 1080s and equal the gaming performance it's a fail. The 56 makes more sense at this point and seems to be the optimal configuration for the Vega arch. Above 56CUs and you get a: bottlenecking front/backend and b: massive power draw increase for small perofmance gain. 

Also, many reviewers have already confirmed that the drivers used here are pretty basic. HBCC is turned off by default, primitive shaders are entirely absent, as is the rasterizer. While it's a good sign that Vega is equal to the competition here (despite the higer power draw) with these things disabled as it means future drivers will improve performance (FineWine in action) it's really clear here that AMD rushed Vega to market with unfinished drivers that have the really important stuff disabled. That makes them look bad on launch days and those reviews are the ones you want to be scoring great numbers in. It's pretty much a repeat of the RX480 launch. Drivers need to mature, then we have Vega on top of 1070/1080. As long as the prices stay at MSRP and don't skyrocket because of miners (first indications are good on that front, Vega can't mine a lot better than a 1070/RX480) it's a good GPU. AMD needs it badly. 

That said, this launch is a disaster. While US folks have some good prices at MSRP us EU folks get jack shit. We can't even pre-order any Vega here, and the stuff that is available is overpriced as fuck. Seriously. Regular Vega 64 for €1199. Get out. 

Ye ole' train

I wish AMD and Nvidia would battle it out like they did with the HD 7900 series and GTX 670/680

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

nvidia plz make the 1070 and 1080 3x faster

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

@The Benjamins Yeah, maybe you are right. Vega architecture is cumpute-centric more than game-centric. I hope those teraflops are real and can hammer the compute tasks, renderings with ease. That interests me more than gaming.

After all the hubbub and excitement, Vega effectively ends up in a performance stalemate with the 1070 and 1080, for about the same price (though more here in Britain, as things stand), with significantly higher power draw. And the GPU's it's competing with were released over a year ago. Still, it's nice to have some competition, if nothing else. 

2 minutes ago, dorin said:

@The Benjamins Yeah, maybe you are right. Vega architecture is cumpute-centric more than game-centric. I hope those teraflops are real and can hammer the compute tasks, renderings with ease. That interests me more than gaming.

Vega 56 is already beating a 1080Ti in Blender rendering, so there's that. 

IMG_3694.JPG

Ye ole' train

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

After all the hubbub and excitement, Vega effectively ends up in a performance stalemate with the 1070 and 1080, for about the same price (though more here in Britain, as things stand), with significantly higher power draw. And the GPU's it's competing with were released over a year ago. Still, it's nice to have some competition, if nothing else. 

May I add that it's doing so with most of its new features still disabled by drivers (rasterizer, HBCC, primitive shaders)? Sure, it's still a half-arsed rushed launch but if it's already on-par or beating the green team I think it's save to say FineWine will start doing its thing in a month or 2-3. 

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

May I add that it's doing so with most of its new features still disabled by drivers (rasterizer, HBCC, primitive shaders)? Sure, it's still a half-arsed rushed launch but if it's already on-par or beating the green team I think it's save to say FineWine will start doing its thing in a month or 2-3. 

Yeah, things will get a little better. But nothing's going to fundamentally change, and Nvidia will be along with something new soon enough (Pascal being, as I say, over a year old at this point).