PUBG breaks half-a-mil simultaneous player record, overall second after DOTA

Nicnac
8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Anybody else still doesn't gets this game? The premise doesn't seems all that compelling to me, just something a GTA V modder would have come up with for example. Maybe I'm waaay off but it seems like a popular push-back reaction to modern FPS titles and their completely stunted innovation for now years: people are so desperate to play a decent shooter than they'll take even a mediocre one with a somewhat clever mechanic just as long as it's new and not just another Re-skin of Battlefield or CoD.

Actually, Player Unknown was the lead developer for the infamous Arma 3 mod 'Battle Royale'. So it is something a modder would have come up with lol. The mod is a whole lot of fun for messing around in, though.

2 minutes ago, Serin said:

Don't get it. PUBG is just a (somehow) worse version of ARMA 2/3 wasteland mod.

(See above) It's actually based on his (Player Unknown's) Arma 3: Battle Royale mod lol

8 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

it is fun and popular due to its uniqueness. I  don't know of another game that plays like it.

It plays like minecraft hunger games ^_^ 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

8 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Console and PC release will be simultaneous so actually it should explode again. I know console players are eager to play. I have ~200 hours on it so I'm not hardcore but its fun and addictive, even with its poor optimisations, single map and server instability.

Plus at release the number of maps will increase from 1 to 3. Which is huge imo. Would add loads of variation to gameplay.

the cancer of using a controller on that game what will it have aim assist how is that gonna work with snipers its gonna be horrible 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It does has a familiar ring to it:

LOL.. really ok so in COD you choose your loadout before the fight. you dropped in fully equipped and the maps are TINY!  you also have respawns.

Really bad arguement its a completely different game. Please next tell me how PUBG and Wow are basically the same game since you loot and its 3rd person. 

Thats also like saying oh CS:Go, Overwatch and Quake are all the same game because you run around with a gun. The core dynamics of each game and the style of play is completely different. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Vernw3 said:

the cancer of using a controller on that game what will it have aim assist how is that gonna work with snipers its gonna be horrible 

you mean i won't be walking around a field and just die from a KAR in a bush.. hahaha you have my interest :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

LOL.. really ok so in COD you choose your loadout before the fight. you dropped in fully equipped and the maps are TINY!  you also have respawns.

Really bad arguement its a completely different game. Please next tell me how PUBG and Wow are basically the same game since you loot and its 3rd person. 

Thats also like saying oh CS:Go, Overwatch and Quake are all the same game because you run around with a gun. The core dynamics of each game and the style of play is completely different. 

Oh you consider getting just a basic weapon at the start an innovation? Cause I remember that shit from the late 90s with Quake.

Or is it the no re-spawn thing until the round is over, again going back all the way back to Counter Strike?

I applaud them for putting together all of these elements together in a cohesive game mode. It's still not all that interesting, I'm glad you're enjoying it but I am so far not impressed, nothing you've said compels me to try.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Actually, Player Unknown was the lead developer for the infamous Arma 3 mod 'Battle Royale'. So it is something a modder would have come up with lol. The mod is a whole lot of fun for messing around in, though.

(See above) It's actually based on his (Player Unknown's) Arma 3: Battle Royale mod lol

Close enough, been a couple of years since I wasn't bored to death with ARMA's various mods.
Its interesting how such an old concept can pop up and gain almost instant popularity. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Oh you consider getting just a basic weapon an innovation? Cause I remember that shit from the late 90s with Quake.

Or is it the no re-spawn thing until the round is over, again going back all the way back to Counter Strike?

I applaud them for putting together all of this elements together in a cohesive game mode. It's still not all that interesting, I'm glad you're enjoying it but I am so far not impressed, nothing you've said compels me to try.

you don't get it, you get ZERO weapons.. not a basic one, nothing. and the RNG means you can't just go to the same weapon spawn and get the same one you never know what gun you'll get, find a sniper doesn't mean you'll find a scope. find a SMG and next find a 8x scope. its adapting to what you can find and movign between area's without getting rekt. 

Its closer to Insurgency than CS if you want a FPS comparison. 

CS:GO before the round starts you buy your weapons and than play you choose what you want/can afford. there is no rounds. once you dead you out. its start all over again. Even the plane that you choose when to jump out of is different each time. car spawns are random. Its never the same game twice EVER. think Diablo but 1 life only. what makes it stand out is you have no idea where the other 99 players are and on a map its size means you have to constantly be on the look out. 

sorry man but there really is no other mainstream FPS like it, Yes a few mods but this is the first Stand alone FPS like it.

no one is making you buy it, if it doesn't appeal to you thats fine but don't go attacking the game saying its just a mod or doesn't do anything new or is boring cause its none of those.  

Redstone:

Obsidian:

4 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

you don't get it

No I do not, I've been saying. Get over it already.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

you don't get it, you get ZERO weapons.. not a basic one, nothing. and the RNG means you can't just go to the same weapon spawn and get the same one you never know what gun you'll get, find a sniper doesn't mean you'll find a scope. find a SMG and next find a 8x scope. its adapting to what you can find and movign between area's without getting rekt. 

Its closer to Insurgency than CS if you want a FPS comparison. 

CS:GO before the round starts you buy your weapons and than play you choose what you want/can afford. there is no rounds. once you dead you out. its start all over again. Even the plane that you choose when to jump out of is different each time. car spawns are random. Its never the same game twice EVER. think Diablo but 1 life only. what makes it stand out is you have no idea where the other 99 players are and on a map its size means you have to constantly be on the look out. 

sorry man but there really is no other mainstream FPS like it, Yes a few mods but this is the first Stand alone FPS like it.

no one is making you buy it, if it doesn't appeal to you thats fine but don't go attacking the game saying its just a mod or doesn't do anything new or is boring cause its none of those.  

OH WOAH! Random spawns? That's such a sick new feature.. totally not ripped from all the other KoTK/Zombie Survival games. Fucking Unturned (yes, blocky Zombie survival shitbox in Unity) has that feature. 

The game itself plays very similar to Minecraft Hunger Games from what I've seen, not a new concept by any means. 

Think about it - find weapons, battle to the death, and eventually have a deathmatch. 

idk

8 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Haha yes what fools! *turns down his settings from ultra*

I just got the game last week.  Pretty sure I'm gonna be running it at 1080p, weird stuff happens when you try to run it at 4k.  Like menu's not scaling and getting cut off badly, lol.

Based on how the graphics looked, I was expecting the Fury to eat it up.  That's not what happened at all.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Just now, Phate.exe said:

I just got the game last week.  Pretty sure I'm gonna be running it at 1080p, weird stuff happens when you try to run it at 4k.  Like menu's not scaling and getting cut off badly, lol.

Yeah i'm running it ultrawide xD 3440x1440. The interface hasn't been a problem except for character customisation (menu covers character preview when there is looooooads of screen real estate left). A minor gripe as thats literally the only time iot fucks up. Gameplay, lobby and settings menus it does fine at 3440x1440

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yeah i'm running it ultrawide xD 3440x1440. The interface hasn't been a problem except for character customisation (menu covers character preview when there is looooooads of screen real estate left). A minor gripe as thats literally the only time iot fucks up. Gameplay, lobby and settings menus it does fine at 3440x1440

I'll have to take a screenshot when I get home.  The entire top and bottom of the settings menu's get cut off at 4k, so I can't even get to the "confirm" button on the menu by mouse.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

its not about the idea or that, this is the first game in a long time I actually shit my self in, it requires a lot of thinking a head and not just running around gunning people, The complete lack of a hud and radar means you need to find the person shooting you. its got nothing to do with playing a decent shooter or that its a damn good game, and the only one of its kind that had done it right, Yes Ark and H1 have there versions of it but its their game modified to this mode, this game was built for it and it pulls it off damn well. 

The big thing to remember by making it a stand alone game they reached a wider audience. IE i've never had ANY interest in H1 or dayZ so you tell me they have a cool game mode thats "PUBG" and I'm still not buying the game when its already put me off, I own ark and have Zero interest in its mode because its still the same game and i've already not enjoying that game. 

Urm I mean I played before without hud and radar certain games/mods, also PUBG it's 3. person which is kinda silly for such game, though I've seen there's a 1. person mod. Personally wouldn't pay for such game/mod call it whatever, I would see it more like free to play. Same here though, the H1 and dayZ was just meh. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

One of those games where I'm really not sure if I want to play it or not.  It's fun to watch YT-ers play it, but I feel like I'm never going to get very far if I play it myself because I don't have enough free time to learn all the spawn locations and map layouts and such.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

It's your settings that are wrong. You need to lower your view distance a bit if you are struggling. You're CPU bottlenecked.

I figured as much from what other people said

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

Man I keep hearing about this game, and all I can think of whenever I read the title is "That sounds like a horrible name."
For a while I didn't realize the creator was named PlayerUnknown, so I thought it was just called "Player Unknown Battlegrounds"  as in "The battleground is unknown to the Player" which didn't help.

Given that the name of the game is based off the user name of the creator makes it even worse.  It would be like me making "Jito463 Batttlegrounds".  It seems rather lame and self-promoting (and a bit narcissistic, to boot) .

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Given that the name of the game is based off the user name of the creator makes it even worse.  It would be like me making "Jito463 Batttlegrounds".  It seems rather lame and self-promoting (and a bit narcissistic, to boot) .

Agree there. think i really does need a new name. love the way people say it. Pub...G, i just keep calling it Pug. but its a nicer name than "Dude you need to buy Arma and get the Player Unknown Mod" :P

Redstone:

Obsidian:

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

It will probably never release. Why would they? They can charge the same amount and they can excuse bugs with "it's early access".

Because will the release it'll be on Xbone. Also they promised to have it released within a year or less. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

its not about the idea or that, this is the first game in a long time I actually shit my self in, it requires a lot of thinking a head and not just running around gunning people, The complete lack of a hud and radar means you need to find the person shooting you. its got nothing to do with playing a decent shooter or that its a damn good game, and the only one of its kind that had done it right, Yes Ark and H1 have there versions of it but its their game modified to this mode, this game was built for it and it pulls it off damn well. 

The big thing to remember by making it a stand alone game they reached a wider audience. IE i've never had ANY interest in H1 or dayZ so you tell me they have a cool game mode thats "PUBG" and I'm still not buying the game when its already put me off, I own ark and have Zero interest in its mode because its still the same game and i've already not enjoying that game. 

This honestly suprises me a lot, as it looks and feels exactly like arma, wish they would do more with the UE4 engine, or hell Imagine EA (And never ever thought I would say this as I hate them so damn much) bought it and PUBG2 comes with Frostbite engine.. that would be pretty damn insane!!

look at the games you listing, they were each the first of there kind (Except Overwatch, thats just TF2 but polished and its understandable as TF has been abandoned by the devs) they not sheep they people wanting to play some of the "freshest" games around, if all they play is the latest COD and talk about how amazing it is, those are sheep as that game does NOTHING new and the sheep still buy and play it. 

Undertale, first of its kind? Are you high? FNAF is the first of its kind? What?! I'm also pretty sure CSGO was not the first of its kind either. PUBG is in no way original either.

I'll just assume you're relatively new to gaming and move along.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Undertale, first of its kind? Are you high? FNAF is the first of its kind? What?! I'm also pretty sure CSGO was not the first of its kind either. PUBG is in no way original either.

I'll just assume you're relatively new to gaming and move along.

Something tells me at least a few hundred thousand people are also as inexperienced given it's popularity. Such are things really there's not much to be done but it's actually starting to make sense to me: we just cannot see it with the fresh eyes many gamers have at this point in time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 hours ago, YedZed said:

You'd think as a teenager I'd have more time... Lol no, 12 hour school days...

That never stopped me. ;)

12 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Personally wouldn't pay for such game/mod call it whatever, I would see it more like free to play. Same here though, the H1 and dayZ was just meh. 

It cost me £20 and I've got over 200 hours on it and I'm not bored. I've paid £50-60 for triple A titles that have gotten old in less than half that time. Why on Earth should a popular game be free? The low cost is very reasonable imo + its still in dev. Right now its fun and still only has 1 map. 2 more are in development and I can't wait.

Btw so far 200 hours for £20 = £0.1/hour. I'd say I definitely not my money's worth and I'm not done yet.

If this was free it would have to make money somehow and would probably be flooded with pay to win/micro transactions