PUBG breaks half-a-mil simultaneous player record, overall second after DOTA

Nicnac

Now if PU would only get off his ass and release 1PP Squads.  3PP games are cancerous and need to go away.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Hope they can optimize it and get the piss poor performance out of alpha state.

2 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Wish they optimized the game already, it runs like crap it has potential but the player base will remain small if it remains unplayable.

Yes because 500k simultaneous and the second most played game on steam overall it's still small

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Arokhantos said:

Wish they optimized the game already, it runs like crap it has potential but the player base will remain small if it remains unplayable.

If you expect it to run on a potato PC, you're in for a significant disappointment.  Even after they "optimize" it (assuming they know how to, and it's not clear they do), I wouldn't expect it to run as well as a polished up AAA game does.  They just don't have the manpower to do that.

You're gonna have to throw hardware at this game or reduce its settings down quite a bit to get high frame rates.  I expect it to be that way for quite some time.  Further, it's not clear that the code they're using on the server side is really well-tuned for 100 simultaneous clients.  The game play seems to get quite a bit snappier as more and more folks get killed off.  That would imply there's some more server work to be done.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, jasonvp said:

If you expect it to run on a potato PC, you're in for a significant disappointment.  Even after they "optimize" it (assuming they know how to, and it's not clear they do), I wouldn't expect it to run as well as a polished up AAA game does.  They just don't have the manpower to do that.

You're gonna have to throw hardware at this game or reduce its settings down quite a bit to get high frame rates.  I expect it to be that way for quite some time.  Further, it's not clear that the code they're using on the server side is really well-tuned for 100 simultaneous clients.  The game play seems to get quite a bit snappier as more and more folks get killed off.  That would imply there's some more server work to be done.

Well given their sales one could argue they're already approaching AAA budget. They might not choose to invest that back into the game and might just call it an indie success but you really can't use the "struggle indie dev" card on the same news article about being the second biggest damn game on steam.

-------

Current Rig

-------

34 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Anybody else still doesn't gets this game? The premise doesn't seems all that compelling to me, just something a GTA V modder would have come up with for example. Maybe I'm waaay off but it seems like a popular push-back reaction to modern FPS titles and their completely stunted innovation for now years: people are so desperate to play a decent shooter than they'll take even a mediocre one with a somewhat clever mechanic just as long as it's new and not just another Re-skin of Battlefield or CoD.

It was originally an arma 2/3 mod if i recall correctly so your right in a way that its seems like a mod for a game rather than a game itself

How is a 5820k @ 4.2 ghz and a gtx 1080 a potato........ game does't even look that impressive but runs like crap.

I'm not calling your machine a potato.  Just that it's not going to be well-optimized to run on potatoes, is all.

And if you want to liven up the game, PU has said publicly that Re-Shade is perfectly legal to use with the game.  Obviously you have to be mindful of which effects you add, as some of them will adversely affect your frame rate.  But a little goofing around and you'll have a much better looking game overall.

8 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Now if PU would only get off his ass and release 1PP Squads.  3PP games are cancerous and need to go away.

FPP ruins the game for me :P I like the 3rd person aspect of PUBG just feels like it was made for it. Also FPP looting/driving makes me feel ill xD 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

FPP ruins the game for me 

So you like your crutch.  Got it.  GG.

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Re-Shade

Is life.

10 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

You are doing something wrong... The game is perfectly playable, read 60 fps, at mid-low settings on a Pentium and 1050Ti.

9 minutes ago, tsk said:

Hope they can optimize it and get the piss poor performance out of alpha state.

Could get better but would hardly call it piss poor. See above.

Game looks like it should run on a potato with 60 fps but it does not.

Honestly I feel the issue it the Arma engine then the PUBG code itself. it is a DayZ clone (in development wise)

anyone know how well Arma 2 or 3 runs?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, jasonvp said:

Before being a dick read my entire post, its not that I can't play a FPP shooter... I mean when I want to play a FPP shooter I buy a game made for it. Also the camera, loot and driving animations are so janky in PUBG it genuinely makes me feel ill. Especially driving that is cancer.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Honestly I feel the issue it the Arma engine then the PUBG code itself. it is a DayZ clone (in development wise)

anyone know how well Arma 2 or 3 runs?

PUBG is using UE4. It has nothing to do with Arma anymore. Player Unknown (the person) made a popular Arma mod and turned it into a standalone game.

Meanwhile at COD..700. No, not 700k players. 700, and they're all playing TDM.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

PUBG is using UE4. It has nothing to do with Arma anymore. Player Unknown (the person) made a popular Arma mod and turned it into a standalone game.

really? it still has that "great" Arma/Dayz feel.

I like pubg but it does feel like it still needs a lot more work.

Pretty nice milestone, a lot of my friends absolutely love this game. They'll play for hours upon hours, deep into the morning. Waking one of my buddies up for work the next morning can be a real PITA 9_9

I haven't played it yet, but it's high up on the list of games I'll get once a new PC is built that can run it!

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think you should mention this only applies to steam games, there are other "big" games that aren't being tracked (to point at the big ones, LoL and WoW aren't on the list).

It will probably never release. Why would they? They can charge the same amount and they can excuse bugs with "it's early access".

I'd have thought it was obvious it was the highest on Steam. It's still a milestone even though it's currently only on one platform. It'll definitely release, since it's going to console, and iirc the dev has said it'll release in November.

43 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Anybody else still doesn't gets this game? The premise doesn't seems all that compelling to me, just something a GTA V modder would have come up with for example. Maybe I'm waaay off but it seems like a popular push-back reaction to modern FPS titles and their completely stunted innovation for now years: people are so desperate to play a decent shooter than they'll take even a mediocre one with a somewhat clever mechanic just as long as it's new and not just another Re-skin of Battlefield or CoD.

I don't think it's desperation as much as it is just something new and fun to play. It looks like a blast. Now, granted, you might not find it fun, but clearly a good number of people do. Not every game is for everyone ;)

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well given their sales one could argue they're already approaching AAA budget. They might not choose to invest that back into the game and might just call it an indie success but you really can't use the "struggle indie dev" card on the same news article about being the second biggest damn game on steam.

Sales =/= the ability to ramp up investment, especially if it's happening over a very short period of time. You can't just go out, buy an office, have a full staff with all the equipment they need in a few weeks time, or even months if you want to do it properly.

6 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Someone sounds salty...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I play this game every day at 100 fps. What the hell are you even talking about? 60 fps feels fine in this game...

Some people aren't the sharpest tool in the shed and like to run everything maxed out and expect to get 60 fps just because they have decent hardware... Pretty sure if most of the people complaining about performance go play Argo then PUBG they'd love the fps they get in PUBG

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

really? it still has that "great" Arma/Dayz feel.

I like pubg but it does feel like it still needs a lot more work.

Says UE4 when you load it up :P

Generally I agree, my point is against those that say its unplayable. Its certainly not

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Someone sounds salty...

Not salty in the least.  Third person perspective is a crutch, plain and simple.  As soon as that crutch is kicked out from under people, the game play changes significantly.  No more corner peeking, nor more cliff/roof peeking, none of that garbage.  It becomes entirely about aiming and who has the better gun play skills, not who can corner-peek better than the other.

Yes, the game needs some work in 1PP.  The scale of things is still all off.  And driving is a bit of an adventure until you learn how to look further way from the vehicle while driving.  But 1PP is the only way I play now unless I'm in a squad.  And I still don't understand why PU didn't release the 1PP for Squads yet.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Haha yes what fools! *turns down his settings from ultra*

lol but Argo I really unplayable even at the lowest settings.... my 1070 struggles to keep a constant 35 fps

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

lol but Argo I really unplayable even at the lowest settings.... my 1070 struggles to keep a constant 35 fps

my 470 at 3440x1440 runs around 45 FPS on low settings.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

game just doesn't like me then q.q

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

The fuck is Argo?