AMD's Wraith Max cooler now available as a separate cooler for $59

Sauce: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-wraith-max-cooler,35098.html

AMD announced that it is offering the Wraith Max cooler on the retail market for $59 with availability beginning today. The cooler snaps onto AM4, AM3+, and FM2 motherboards. Previously, the Wraith Max was only available as a bundled cooler with some Ryzen SKUs, but due to popular demand, AMD opened it up to the retail market.

Well, that, but OEMs also shipped this beast of a stock cooler with their machines.

The 140W cooler provides plenty of cooling capacity for Ryzen overclocking adventures. You can customize the color of the RGB ring with Asus Aura Sync, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light, Biostar Vivid LED DJ, and ASRock's RGB LED tools. AMD also offers the AMD Wraith Max RGB lighting control software (powered by Cooler Master) as a free download. The Wraith Max comes with both a USB header cable and an RGB LED header to control the lighting feature. 

RGB setups just got a whole lot more interesting. The cooler looks nice and performs pretty damn well for a stock cooler. The pricing's a different story though... I mean, it's about as good as a Hyper 212 (at least the previous Wraith was, don't know how much has changed from the previous Wraith alongside the RGB-ification) but that thing costs about $30 less, so you're paying $30 more for an AMD logo and some RGB. I guess AMD was kinda forced to do this by their cooling partners in order for them to not get competition from AMD themselves, but this is a little too much if you ask me. Still, it's a 140W TDP cooler with RGB and an AMD logo, so if you really like the brand and it fits the system you're building I'd say go for it.

Ye ole' train

Or I could buy a cooler that would kick the snot out of it at $60. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Or I could buy a cooler that would kick the snot out of it at $60. 

then do that?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Yeah thats kind of a rip off you can get a cryorig h7 quad lumi

SPECS:

i5 6400

Asus H110i-PLUS

Kingston 8GB RAM

HyperX 3K 120GB SSD

Western Digital Black 320GB HDD

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Design Nano S

Well, neat even though it's more than people hoped for. I get that part that hey are forced not to compete with partners prices. 

Reminds me of MS Surface same trying not compete with partners laptop prices. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I guess AMD was kinda forced to do this by their cooling partners in order for them to not get competition from AMD themselves

Not necessarily. AMD created a unique brand by introducing this mythical unicorn of a cooler and only packaging it with certain SKUs, then they added RGB to it for extra fanboy appeal. They've created demand. People pay $50+ for a used Wraith on eBay. If people are paying $50+ for your product used and you have spare inventory lying around, why not put it out there new and sell it for $60?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

it's about as good as a Hyper 212 (at least the previous Wraith was

My first thought was, just how good was it? We can wait for the usual tech sites to test it against modern coolers and see how they compare. I temporarily used an old wraith on a 14 core Xeon, held in place only by gravity. None of my spare coolers at the time had correct mount. Worked really well!

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

People pay $50+ for a used Wraith on eBay.

Wow, sounds more hyped than the mining thing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What I want to do is mount this on an Intel board. I'm sure it can be done. :3

Oh it can, they make LGA brackets that come with the mounts for AMD coolers.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's low profile enough I might consider swapping it in my build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-CPU-Cooler-Quiet-Fan-Heatsink-for-Intel-LGA775-1156-1155-AMD-54-939-940-AM2-/172629094724?hash=item28317ef144:g:zP0AAOSwA3dYNRCD

Granted, it's a whole cooler, but if you look at the mounting hardware, you'd place that ring for an Intel cooler and then clamp the cooler onto that.

There's cheaper generic coolers on eBay that come with the mount, don't know if you can buy it separately. 

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's low profile enough I might consider swapping it in my build.

If you use the Wraith on an ITX board, you will very likely lose a RAM slot. That's the only special consideration with it.

2 minutes ago, Demonking said:

AMD being anti consumer again these suppose to work on Intel too. AMD being like Intel evil.

They're being anti-consumer by releasing the cooler everyone wanted and not either forcing you to buy either FX 6350 or 8370, or an OEM PC that comes with one?

Cool that they're offering it, but that does seem a little over priced.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

They're being anti-consumer by releasing the cooler everyone wanted and not either forcing you to buy either FX 6350 or 8370, or an OEM PC that comes with one?

It was sarcasm my guy ?

Just now, Demonking said:

It was sarcasm my guy ?

Most people add an /s to the end of that :P

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If you use the Wraith on an ITX board, you will very likely lose a RAM slot. That's the only special consideration with it.

Unless he has low profile RAM.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Don't feed the troll :3

Good point.

lol dumb. Pricing a stock cooler above a 212 Evo / H7 when both are better performers is hilarious. Please AMD, you're finally competitive with Intel again, you're not crushing them to rip off customers.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

lol dumb. Pricing a stock cooler above a 212 Evo / H7 when both are better performers is hilarious. Please AMD, you're finally competitive with Intel again, you're not crushing them to rip off customers.

If thousands of people were willing to pay your a premium for piles of stuff you just have lying around anyway, would you take them up on that deal?

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If thousands of people were willing to pay your a premium for piles of stuff you just have lying around anyway, would you take them up on that deal?

I don't work in sales because I actually have a conscious.

Fine line between profit and fleecing. These things should be no greater than 39.99 and that's being generous with RGB tax.

AHAHAHA

AND RX VEGA's price

AMD is back at again boys. They just never stop screwing up.

After they released the R5 1600, they should have just kept quiet until Zen2... lmaoo

5 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

AHAHAHA

AND RX VEGA's price

AMD is back at again boys. They just never stop screwing up.

After they released the R5 1600, they should have just kept quiet until Zen2... lmaoo

You got early vega pricing? Please share

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

2 minutes ago, Terryv said:

You got early vega pricing? Please share

Thanks for playing