AMD's Wraith Max cooler now available as a separate cooler for $59

54 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

lol dumb. Pricing a stock cooler above a 212 Evo / H7 when both are better performers is hilarious. Please AMD, you're finally competitive with Intel again, you're not crushing them to rip off customers.

True, but the relevant part here is the RGB tax. This might not sit well with most here but if someone's willing to pay for the RGB then they deserve to be ripped off i.e. people paying 30 bucks for a single corsair RGB fan.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

lol dumb. Pricing a stock cooler above a 212 Evo / H7 when both are better performers is hilarious. Please AMD, you're finally competitive with Intel again, you're not crushing them to rip off customers.

212 Evo and H7 are tall AF tower coolers (159mm and 145mm), the Wraith Max is only 85mm high, much more comparable in height to a stock cooler, with the same cooling performance as the 212 and H7.  Also it moves a lot more air over your VRM's than a tower cooler will.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

I was actually searching ebay just a day or two back to see if anybody is selling it. Well I guess i jinxed it, you are all welcome. 

edit: not buying it at 60$ which in € will probably be even more expensive.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

51 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

Thanks for playing

Holy fuck... That can't be real. Especially not the the comments about the monitors.

I refuse to believe that AMD would make such a horrible mistake.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Holy fuck... That can't be real. Especially not the the comments about the monitors.

It's a rumour. If AMD tells us with their all be it crappy marketing that a FreeSync+Vega setup vs GSync+1080(Ti) setup is $300 less expensive than the latter you can't have a Vega GPU that's above 1080Ti pricing.

Ye ole' train

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

It's a rumour. If AMD tells us with their all be it crappy marketing that a FreeSync+Vega setup vs GSync+1080(Ti) setup is $300 less expensive than the latter you can't have a Vega GPU that's above 1080Ti pricing.

You can actually. Read the Reddit thread. The monitor AMD chose for the Nvidia setup (assuming they actually found the correct model) is 600 dollars more expensive than the monitor they picked for the AMD setup (again, assuming the monitors posted in the reddit thread are the correct ones).

So their whole "the Nvidia setup is 300 dollars more expensive" statement would imply that the Vega card is actually 300 dollars more expensive than the Nvidia card. It's just that they hide that cost behind the cost of the monitors they choice.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

IIRC nVidia have higher list prices before release than they are after release too.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I've been really happy with the one that came with my r7 1700

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

29 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I've been really happy with the one that came with my r7 1700

The 1700 didn't come with a Wraith Max, it had a Wraith Spire, a 95W TDP cooler. Wraith Max is for 140W TDP.

Ye ole' train

15 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The 1700 didn't come with a Wraith Max, it had a Wraith Spire, a 95W TDP cooler. Wraith Max is for 140W TDP.

Oh.

Well I've still been really happy with it.  I'm guessing this max is even better

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Oh.

Well I've still been really happy with it.  I'm guessing this max is even better

I believe the max performs similar to a 212 evo

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Oh it can, they make LGA brackets that come with the mounts for AMD coolers.

Anyway to get them separately? Because my LGA775 coolers also support AMD sockets-and the current mounting method is a bit ghetto on LGA 1150....

Edit: I've also got an FX 8350 cooler that I'd like to try on my 4790K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

49 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Anyway to get them separately? Because my LGA775 coolers also support AMD sockets-and the current mounting method is a bit ghetto on LGA 1150....

Edit: I've also got an FX 8350 cooler that I'd like to try on my 4790K.

I don't know if they do.  Granted, you can probably buy one of those $5 cheap knock off chinese coolers that comes with one, but as for selling separately, you'd probably have to check.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I don't know if they do.  Granted, you can probably buy one of those $5 cheap knock off chinese coolers that comes with one, but as for selling separately, you'd probably have to check.

Looking at the mounting bracket it wouldn't work anyway-my coolers use clips for AMD sockets not screws.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Looking at the mounting bracket it wouldn't work anyway-my coolers use clips for AMD sockets not screws.

Yeah, like I said earlier, that bracket comes with the little clips to hook onto.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Ho boy, i was looking at the gammaxx gt but I'm rolling with now

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

15 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Found it on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CPU-Cooler-Fan-heatsink-Bracket-Holder-Base-Forlga775-1150-1156-1155-775-1366-/152425973929?hash=item237d4bc8a9:g:DFIAAOSw-KFXfgqv

That'd really work as a method to use coolers with AMD mounting brackets to my motherboards? Because if so, my i7 will get my Cooler Master Eclipse (currently ghettod by removing 2 of the screws on its LGA775 bracket and adjusting to fit LGA1150 diagonally), and my Xeon X5450 will get the FX 8350 stock cooler (since my Xeon X5450 has a similar heat output at the same clock speeds).

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Cooler Master Eclipse 

jesus, and here i thought the old zalman heatsinks look weird :S

it should work just fine, saw one of the comments from taobao listing claim it took a gammaxx 400 without issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Lol when I read this I was thinking of the Wraith Spire, and I thought "What idiot is going to spend $60 on a Hyper 212 Evo knock-off?" xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

jesus, and here i thought the old zalman heatsinks look weird :S

it should work just fine, saw one of the comments from taobao listing claim it took a gammaxx 400 without issue.

What's even better: I got mine new in its original, unopened packaging, along with a Blue ICE chipset cooler in the same manner for my P5Q Turbo: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RT-UCL-L4U1/

Edit: BTW, look at the Mars, and try to say that the Eclipse is weirder.....

PMSL

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

What's even better: I got mine new in its original, unopened packaging, along with a Blue ICE chipset cooler in the same manner for my P5Q Turbo: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RT-UCL-L4U1/

Edit: BTW, look at the Mars, and try to say that the Eclipse is weirder.....

the eclipse still looks weirder to me IMHO

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Intel wasn't exactly helping themselves when they were selling this pile of rubbish for 40 bucks. 35-203-021CVF-01.jpg

And that was for LGA 2011, i.e. their enthusiast platform.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580