How often do you upgrade?

Whenever I feel the need to

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Had my current setup since late 2012, served me perfectly and still does :) only changes I have made have been going from 8GB to 16GB RAM (which I only did about 9 months ago) and switching my pair of GTX 560 Ti's out for a HD7990, and also switching from a 720p monitor to a 1080p monitor with freesync. Still haven't gotten round to purchasing an SSD so still rocking my boot drive as a Seagate Barracuda from 2007. My next upgrade will be switching out my AM3 platform for an AM4 one for Ryzen which I am looking to do next year once they go down in price a little, and also purchasing an SSD in the next few months (around black friday/cyber monday) . 

Prior to my current system I had a Q6600 and a pair of GT 9600's which I got in 2008 so going off that my upgrade cycle is around 5-6 years before I change most of the system. I usually carry parts across builds, haven't done a complete new build.

When i need more Power. Last Upgrade was ftom 2500k and gtx670 to my current stuff.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I used to upgrade my phone every two years, but then Sprint did away with their 2-year contracts, so I don't know when I'll decide to buy a new phone.

As for my computer, my current trend is a new one every 5 years or so, but that was mostly back when I'd have to wait for the newest hand-me-down: my dad would get a new PC, so he'd give his old one to my older sister, and I'd get her old one. But I also had my old computer for five or six years before I got my current computer, which I've had for two years so far. But since this one isn't a $600 budget computer like my old one, I'll probably start doing incremental upgrades with it in a couple years or so when I notice it can't keep up as well.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

For most things not for a while. CPUs I usually wait a few gens before an upgrade. For gpus I look into the next generation, but usually got for the Gen after. For example, I have a gtx 970 right now, I'm looking at 1080s and 1080tis, but I'll probably end up jumping on a 1180(or whatever) later. 

17 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Eh. I have both an iphone 6 through work and an HTC10 of my own.

All I do with either phone is text, email, browse, and stream music or video occasionally. I don't game on my phone (no time!), have never had waterproofing be an issue, and don't have billions of tabs open. The only real noticeable upgrade the new phones have is faster charging and somewhat better cameras, which is nice, but not $700 nice. I'm far from a phone power user though, so for me, I only upgrade phones when the old one starts glitching or won't hold a charge. As long as I can email/text/browse without impediment, I'm happy.

Thank you! We are one in the same. 

New phones are nice, but not $800-1000 nice

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

17 hours ago, ErrantNyles said:

felt like "I spend a good amount, but only once every several year" then moved to "It's better to resell things before they get too much old, and reinvest in a new build"

That's a good way to look at it. I've always thought of my hardware and tech stuff to be worthless as soon as purchasing them. I've never sold my old hardware or an old phone or anything like that 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Phone, till the fucker breaks, and I usually'll buy a budget phone or a couple year old flagship anyways. (Such as I did with both the iPhone 5S and Samsung Galaxy S5).

Laptop, anywhere from 4 to 8 years.  I'm keeping my current laptop at least till I'm done with college.

Desktop, I upgrade what needs to be upgraded once I hit the limit with said product.  This time, it's my CPU, next time, it'll be my GPU.  My storage is starting to get a little full, so I might end up picking up another hard drive soon, all depends.  But I don't actually rebuild my whole system.  I try to bring over what I can to save money every time.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

11 hours ago, mutedcurmudgeon said:

For most things not for a while. CPUs I usually wait a few gens before an upgrade. For gpus I look into the next generation, but usually got for the Gen after. For example, I have a gtx 970 right now, I'm looking at 1080s and 1080tis, but I'll probably end up jumping on a 1180(or whatever) later. 

I'm thinking my next gpu will be the 1180 or the 1280, if the naming stays consistent. The ti's are nice, but in my mind I'd rather not wait for the end of the generation. I bought my 1080 almost a full year ago. I imagine the 1170 will just edge out the 1080ti similar to the how the 1070 did the 980ti. 

I live between h town and the coast. One love, brother

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Phone is prettymuch every 2 Years

Desktop (pff whats an upgrade) I sold my internals cos im poor

Laptop, im never ever ever buying another one

phone pretty much never, I still have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I don't see the point in buying really expensive phones because I barely use mine unless I'm on a trip. Most of my friends message me on Discord instead of texting. 

desktop I usually replace most of the parts every 4-5 years. I try to re-use as much as I can, that doesn't mean I'll get desperate though. if my HDDs/case/cooling are aight I'll keep them. 

laptop I'll never upgrade til it's dead. I have a small little notebook with a dualcore and I upgraded it from 2 to 4gb of RAM, and added an SSD, works great for light browsing and taking notes. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

My HTC One X lasted 4 years. So expect the S7 Edge to do the same. 

PC was a bit different. 3570K to 2700k then to 5820K. CPU is sorted for a good while but the 2700K was bit silly since 6700K was due for announcement. Would have been a much better boost to do that. But can't really argue with getting a Rampage V Extreme for £200 so along came the 5820K. 

GPU was GTX 650 Ti boost > GTX 660 > GTX 660 sli > GTX 980 > GTX 980 sli. Sorted unless there's a single card that is significantly faster.  

Going to upgrade PC maybe 2 years from now. Maybe even go ITX. All I really play now is, BF4, PUBG, BDO and FH3. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Phone: 4 years

Desktop: Every 2 years a new CPU or GPU (except something dies)

Laptop: Sold it to buy a GTX 1060

Mobile Phone - 2-3 years

CPU/MOBO - When I can afford a worthwhile upgrade

GPU - Never upgraded yet.

Storage - When I need

Other - When I need/can afford

Laptop - Not upgraded. Due after 6 years (year from now)

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

On 6/30/2017 at 4:20 PM, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

Dude! I also have the DX4860. I have the one with the i3 2120. Upgraded to an i5 2400. The case is kinda small, so if you do that idea, I'd make sure that 1080Ti would fit.

Wow nice haha. Yeah I would not really buy a new case but the light button is broken off and I want more drive space so I'm thinking of a Corsair 450D

On 6/30/2017 at 1:01 PM, Kenan Krause said:

I usually build one and then slowly add things onto it for around 3-5 years, or when something happens like something breaks and as if I fell I should build a new one I use the old parts like a hard drive or a Power Supply but for me its kinda a mix between Upgrading and then Building a new PC

Ah, I see you're a fellow build recycler.

but yeah, I upgrade parts within my system as needed assuming I can afford it, my RAM has been through about 3 builds now, as has my power supply and HDD. I've got an aircooler in the mail so I can finally make use of the overclocking capabilities of my motherboard. (As well as learn how to OC a processor on modern hardware) My case is 11 years old and still going strong.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Gaming/Workstation the core system not very often....gpus a lot though.

phones every 2-3 years

Servers whenever local datacenters/businesses swap out

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

On 30/06/2017 at 0:53 PM, DutchTexan said:

How often do you build yourself a whole new system vs how often do you incrementally upgrade hardware?

On the same schedule as when I buy new underwear. I use it till it's falling apart and replace when needed.

So every 4-6 years.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:53 PM, DutchTexan said:

How often do you build yourself a whole new system vs how often do you incrementally upgrade hardware?

3 years for a GPU upgrade (GTX 760 to GTX 1060), 3 years and counting regarding the CPU and MB (i7 4770K), 3 years and counting on the RAM (8GB DDR3-1600), BUT an upgrade to 16GB is planned and would be bought now if funds allowed, 3 years and counting on the SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 120GB), BUT an upgrade is planned here too. The CPU I see doing me for a good while yet, especially as to upgrade I'd have to upgrade the CPU itself plus the MB, and the RAM, and that would be a major expense obviously.

If I had the money to burn... I'd upgrade every time something better came out, just cause... Upgradeitis is a disease people, tell your friends!

On 6/30/2017 at 9:01 PM, DrMacintosh said:

damn thats way too long for me 

Indeed... Over the last ten years, I've had like fifteen different phones... Although, in my defence, I did buy most of those phones outright and then sold them all off when I went to a new one. 

Being primarly a laptop user, I rarely upgrade that often. I bought a new laptop a few months ago and that was to replace one that I bought back in 2012. As long as my computer is still meeting my needs, I won't upgrade.

I had my first computer(P4 w/ integrated graphics) from 2006-2012. Then I built my first rig which was a PIIX4 965 and a GTX 560. 

I've upgraded the CPU(4670k 2014) and the GPU(R9 380 2016) once so far. I've also bought a MX300 525GB as well. Plan on upgrading to R7 1700 sometime this year because I'm going to need more cores and ram to multibox several eve online accounts at once. Might end up getting a new GPU as well if the 380 doesn't have enough vram to handle it.

I would say I upgrade when I think it's needed. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

11 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

I'm thinking my next gpu will be the 1180 or the 1280, if the naming stays consistent. The ti's are nice, but in my mind I'd rather not wait for the end of the generation. I bought my 1080 almost a full year ago. I imagine the 1170 will just edge out the 1080ti similar to the how the 1070 did the 980ti. 

I live between h town and the coast. One love, brother

Ayy, good stuff man, I'm up in The Woodlands, but I'm currently away for school up in College Station. Always fun to see other Texans on here.