My stuff won't go obsolete

AshleyAshes
3 hours ago, dsv1999 said:

Your i5 2500 struggles with 4k YouTube? My i5 2320 and 3320M both handle in without problems, can't reach more than 85-90% load. Tested with Chrome and Firefox.

Well, I just rtied right now and it works fine, but I swear there were some issues, though I don't know if  I just had bad timing and windows did some BS in the background..

Been thinking about staying on the same plattform and upgrading to an i7 37XX something, but they are still ridiculously expensive on ebay, so that's not going to happen..

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

32 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Well, I just rtied right now and it works fine, but I swear there were some issues, though I don't know if  I just had bad timing and windows did some BS in the background..

Been thinking about staying on the same plattform and upgrading to an i7 37XX something, but they are still ridiculously expensive on ebay, so that's not going to happen..

The thing is, they're so expensive because they'll do the same thing as the 7700K. Sure you could look at benchmarks where it'll get a few percent higher, but PRACTICALLY, they will be the same. I see a lot of people upgrading because they saw some YouTube benchmark where they got 5 FPS more with a newer CPU and then the person thinks their system is obsolete

That's an F in the profile pic

12 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

The thing is, they're so expensive because they'll do the same thing as the 7700K. Sure you could look at benchmarks where it'll get a few percent higher, but PRACTICALLY, they will be the same. I see a lot of people upgrading because they saw some YouTube benchmark where they got 5 FPS more with a newer CPU and then the person thinks their system is obsolete

And this is also why, in every series of Scrap Yard Wars, aside from getting WORKING parts, the victory is always achieved by the GPU.  So long as the CPU is in the 'good enough' category, it's all about the GPU.  And this is also why I generally buy a new GPU every two years, though the older ones get hand-me-downed through other systems.  As I I currently have it planned, a GPU gets six years service with me, though that's across three machines it'll live in. :P

8 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

First, you're saying UPWARDS of 15-30fps more.  Also, the critical question is, how much more compared to what?  Like, 75fps + 15fps to 90fps for the price of a $300 CPU, $150 for a mobo and $100-$200 for new DDR4 memory. That is a LOT of money for a not so significant improvement, especially when most people have 60hz monitors.  Though say 45fps to 60fps would be a HUGE improvement on the other hand.

Obviously, for some that price is fine, but that seems like a not so great improvement for a $550-$650 or so investment especially when you could put that money towards a GPU and probably see vastly better results.  '15-25% faster' has to be weighed against the cost of getting there and how meaningful the improvement is in a practical sense.

This is why I'm in a situation where, to upgrade my workstation, I'd have to move to at least an 8 core Intel to even feel like I really 'moved up'.  I don't want 15-25% faster, I want 30-40% faster even if it costs me.  I want to go 'Wow, this is WAY faster. :O'

$150 mobo? Try $100 and $70-$80 if you know where to look. $100-$200 for RAM? Ya not everyone needs 24-32GB kits...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

$150 mobo? Try $100 and $70-$80 if you know where to look. $100-$200 for RAM? Ya not everyone needs 24-32GB kits...

16GB in the 3770K system, 32GB in the 4930K system. :)

BTW, do you appreciate the irony of you saying 'Not everyone needs X' after you pitched an entirely new 7700K, mobo, and CPU as a replacement for a 3770k to get '15-25 more frames'? :P  Cause that in itself definitely sounds like a 'Not everybody needs X' kinda situation.

11 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

snip

Congrats on the 2k posts... That's all I gotta say...

derp

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Been trying that for years now, doesn't help. 

Reveal hidden contents

3310.jpg.ed877f8d1871995f49b117e06daf7907.jpg

Yes, that's my actual phone.  It's not obsolete and works just fine, so I keep using it.

Woah don't throw TAHT thing! You might kill someone?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I'm in the same boat. Still rocking my X58 platform from 2010 or 2011 (I believe). The only thing I upgraded are the GPU and the CPU recently.

GPU whise I went from GTX 280 (which died :( ) to GTX 660ti to my current GTX970.

And for the CPU I was rocking an i7 920 until a few weeks back when I got myself a x5670.

just did some benchmarks with my new oc and the Cinebench R15 single core score is at 128. I don't see any reason to upgrade in the near future.

I only upgrade when I have to. I'm still rolling on a 3570K at the moment, and while I plan on upgrading to something in the future, it's not useless at the moment. Not by any means as I still use it for gaming with a decent experience, and my video card is the GTX 970 and it still provides a pretty decent experience at 1080p. Even after I upgrade the hardware, I can see myself building an HTPC with the CPU and GPU for medium to somewhat heavy gaming on a TV. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I only upgrade when I have to. I'm still rolling on a 3570K at the moment, and while I plan on upgrading to something in the future, it's not useless at the moment. Not by any means as I still use it for gaming with a decent experience, and my video card is the GTX 970 and it still provides a pretty decent experience at 1080p. Even after I upgrade the hardware, I can see myself building an HTPC with the CPU and GPU for medium to somewhat heavy gaming on a TV. 

Same boat with the 3770K in my HTPC.  A CPU of that class allows it to brute force video decoding of formats that weaker hardware would absolutely require hardware acceleration to decode.  Frankly, the only way I see that CPU getting upgraded is if/when I DO build a new workstation which will leave me with a 4930K that needs a job.

Once I hand-me-down the R9 390X to my 3770K HTPC, I'm pretty curious how well it'll do at casual 4K gaming on the TV.  Already with the HD 7950 in it, SOME games do 4K readily.  Yeah, no, NOT Crysis 3 on Ultra.  But it's an HTPC running Steam Big Picture Mode, it doesn't do AAA games on Ultra, it does Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, or Screencheats, or Rocket League or other games that are fun, split screen, with your friends on the couch.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, AshleyAshes said:

Does anyone else have this problem?  I see people talking about upgrades all the time even just single generational leaps among Intel CPUs but being ready to throw the last generation into the dumpster ASAP.  I'm in a different boat, I feel like the stuff I have just won't reach uselessness.

My laptop is from 2012, old right?  But it has an i7 2630QM in it and 16GB of RAM, that's a Quad Core 2.0ghz (2.9ghz Turbo) Sandy Bridge  The resolution mind you is only 1366x768 which is the biggest downside but for a laptop that I mostly just use to browse around on the couch while watching TV, it's beyond 'good enough' and I can't justify the cost of replacing it.  Even when the keyboard had failed it was easier to just spend 20 on eBay to buy a new keyboard and replace it.  This also let me ditch the Canadian Bilingual keyboard for the standard US English keyboard. D:

My desktop?  i7 Extreme 4930k that 's over clocked to 4.6ghz.  It'll be four years old come Christmas but it's still going strong.  Oh sure, I put a new GPU in it every 2 years but performance wise, that machine so it's hard to justify replacing the entire system without making a very big leap in performance.  Like, 8 core Intel or 10 core AMD, minimum.  Most other 'upgrades' would cost more money than they're worth.  I'll probably upgrade it's R9 390X to Vega in the fall but that's really the biggest upgrading I've done in sometime, keeping GPUs up to date every couple of years.

Even my other machines, I have a livingroom HTPC that runs an i7 3770K that runs at 4.2ghz and has an HD 7950 in it and it'll get the GPU hand-me-downs from the above mentioned i7 Extreme system.  It's hard to hate the 3770K, that's a rock solid CPU and for video decoding and casual TV gaming it's great.  When the workstation gets Vega, this machine gets the workstation's 390X which'll nearly, but not quite, match the Xbox One X in performance and AMD even backwards ported HDR support into it. o.O

In the bedroom is another HTPC, the lightest used, it honestly does YouTube for all of the two hours a day it gets used.  It's i5 4590 could probably handle THAT job for the next ten years.  It's also technicaly capable of gaming with an HD 6950 (It gets the hand-me-downs from the above HTPC, so it'll get the HD 7950 in the fall.)

Basically, asside from GPUs... I can't justify upgrades to my computers.  I really just can't, with how CPU's have plateaued lately and most games do great on basically 'Any Intel Quad Core' if it's paired with a capable GPU it's just so hard to justify upgrades.

its hard to justify upgrades true

for techies: ehh i go from 2770k to 1700, that good

not a lot of people go 6700k -> 7700k or 6700k -> 1800x

people upgrade their GPUs a lot.

anyone who has second gen i3/i5/i7, they should upgrade. ivy is ok too

haswell+ -> mostly throwing money away if your goal is IPC and not cores.

for non techies though..

they have a hard drive most likely, and what the fuck is defragging? So it would be slow as hell and painful.

if it's a laptop, their hard drive would be dying and by that time the laptop will be 2-3 years old. they'd all go well this laptop is old and its slow as shit let me buy a new one.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My Commodore Amiga 2000 is not obsolete yet , nope not at all , just gave it 2mb fastmem 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

if it's a laptop, their hard drive would be dying and by that time the laptop will be 2-3 years old. they'd all go well this laptop is old and its slow as shit let me buy a new one.

Don't get me started on my laptop. >_>  I got it Summer 2011, but in Summer 2012 I upgraded it's dual core i5 2410M for a quad core i7 2630QM.  (Yup, socketed CPU in a laptop!) this was to give more power for video work in College.  It's been upgraded from 4GB to 8GB to 16GB of RAM.  The MOTHERBOARD was replaced once in early 2014 after there were some issues with recharging.  In fall 2014 I managed to smash my hip and shoulder bag into a stanchion on the bus and broke the screen that was in the bag.  ...So I replaced that.  (I looked, there were no 1080p upgrade options.  THAT woulda been neat!) and I've since replaced the keyboard as well.

Oh and I replaced it's 750GB HDD for a 480GB SSD, then REMOVED the optical drive and used a caddy to install the 750GB HDD into the ODD bay.

Franken-Laptop.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

for non techies though..

they have a hard drive most likely, and what the fuck is defragging? So it would be slow as hell and painful.

Storage speed is still the utmost limiting factor, noobs will upgrade their i3 2368m notebook to an i5 7200u and feel no performance increase because they remain using shitty 5400rpm HDDs leading them to think upgrading is pointless all together what results in parents denying their kids that upgrade they wish so bad xD

*Another big issue is upgrading memory ram thinking that will speed up stuff when you're not even breaking the 4gb barrier yet with your normal workload.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Don't get me started on my laptop. >_>  I got it Summer 2011, but in Summer 2012 I upgraded it's dual core i5 2410M for a quad core i7 2630QM.  (Yup, socketed CPU in a laptop!) this was to give more power for video work in College.  It's been upgraded from 4GB to 8GB to 16GB of RAM.  The MOTHERBOARD was replaced once in early 2014 after there were some issues with recharging.  In fall 2014 I managed to smash my hip and shoulder bag into a stanchion on the bus and broke the screen that was in the bag.  ...So I replaced that.  (I looked, there were no 1080p upgrade options.  THAT woulda been neat!) and I've since replaced the keyboard as well.

Oh and I replaced it's 750GB HDD for a 480GB SSD, then REMOVED the optical drive and used a caddy to install the 750GB HDD into the ODD bay.

Franken-Laptop.

>~< 

im stuck with a core duo laptop.

ive upgraded the ram from 1gb to 3gb and the hdd has been replaced.. not with a ssd but another hdd (needed ssd for something else at the moment)

im going to be getting a new laptop..

soldered in CPU/RAM, but M.2 (sata) ssd. wish me luck 

its a Y series kaby lake, and 8gb.. ill try to make it perform good by installing lubuntu 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Storage speed is still the utmost limiting factor, noobs will upgrade their i3 2368m notebook to an i5 7200u and feel no performance increase because they remain using shitty 5400rpm HDDs leading them to think upgrading is pointless all together what results in parents denying their kids that upgrade they wish so bad xD

yup

pretty sure a m series sandy is still comparable to a u series kaby.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:57 AM, AshleyAshes said:

Does anyone else have this problem?  I see people talking about upgrades all the time even just single generational leaps among Intel CPUs but being ready to throw the last generation into the dumpster ASAP.  I'm in a different boat, I feel like the stuff I have just won't reach uselessness.

My laptop is from 2012, old right?  But it has an i7 2630QM in it and 16GB of RAM, that's a Quad Core 2.0ghz (2.9ghz Turbo) Sandy Bridge  The resolution mind you is only 1366x768 which is the biggest downside but for a laptop that I mostly just use to browse around on the couch while watching TV, it's beyond 'good enough' and I can't justify the cost of replacing it.  Even when the keyboard had failed it was easier to just spend 20 on eBay to buy a new keyboard and replace it.  This also let me ditch the Canadian Bilingual keyboard for the standard US English keyboard. D:

My desktop?  i7 Extreme 4930k that 's over clocked to 4.6ghz.  It'll be four years old come Christmas but it's still going strong.  Oh sure, I put a new GPU in it every 2 years but performance wise, that machine so it's hard to justify replacing the entire system without making a very big leap in performance.  Like, 8 core Intel or 10 core AMD, minimum.  Most other 'upgrades' would cost more money than they're worth.  I'll probably upgrade it's R9 390X to Vega in the fall but that's really the biggest upgrading I've done in sometime, keeping GPUs up to date every couple of years.

Even my other machines, I have a livingroom HTPC that runs an i7 3770K that runs at 4.2ghz and has an HD 7950 in it and it'll get the GPU hand-me-downs from the above mentioned i7 Extreme system.  It's hard to hate the 3770K, that's a rock solid CPU and for video decoding and casual TV gaming it's great.  When the workstation gets Vega, this machine gets the workstation's 390X which'll nearly, but not quite, match the Xbox One X in performance and AMD even backwards ported HDR support into it. o.O

In the bedroom is another HTPC, the lightest used, it honestly does YouTube for all of the two hours a day it gets used.  It's i5 4590 could probably handle THAT job for the next ten years.  It's also technicaly capable of gaming with an HD 6950 (It gets the hand-me-downs from the above HTPC, so it'll get the HD 7950 in the fall.)

Basically, asside from GPUs... I can't justify upgrades to my computers.  I really just can't, with how CPU's have plateaued lately and most games do great on basically 'Any Intel Quad Core' if it's paired with a capable GPU it's just so hard to justify upgrades.

Your equipment is only obsolete if it is no longer capable of meeting your demands. 

My 2010 laptop with an Arrandale i5 (dual core) got a Solid State Drive awhile ago, and is still in service to this day, though with its Radeon 5470, its gaming credentials are less than stellar. Its cpu also got a minor upgrade from the i5-460M to the i5-560M I got from a scrapped laptop. 

Actually, I went from the above laptop to my current desktop with the i5-4590 and GTX 960. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

i thought things not getting obsolete used to be a good thing..

A bit of a bump but looking at the benchmarks for the i7 7820X, which can be 70-80% faster than my i7 4930K, THAT's the kinda thing I'd need to make a meaningful upgrade.  Not spending $400-$600 to inch up one generation and get maybe 5-10%, but to use a CPU for a good long life and get it's replacement at a relatively reasonable price and have that replacement make me go 'Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo, this is so much faster! :3'

...We'll see what the prices are like around Boxing Day.

I just upgraded to a 4770K earlier this year (from an i5-4570). That's a 4 year old CPU and still kicks-ass in gaming today. Needless to say, it saved me a huge amount of money and I will be rockin it for at least another 2 years or more, considering how capable Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPUs still are these days. 

Used to upgrade my GPU once a year, but this time I'm going to sit on the 1070 for at least another year. 

Really don't understand those who upgrade every generation or even feel the need to upgrade from Haswell when all they do, primarily, is gaming or basic use. It is a waste of money IMO. 

My wife is still using our laptop from 2010 which has been running Linux for years and still works great for her needs. I think a lot of the time, what people think they need is very different from what they actually need, and the psychological condition of "must have the latest and greatest" is strong with many. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Used to upgrade my GPU once a year, but this time I'm going to sit on the 1070 for at least another year.

For me, I'm settling into a new GPU every 2 years, but since then GPUs get hand-me-downed from the workstation tot he big HTPC to the smaller HTPC, this means each GPU gets two years life in three machines, for a service life of six years before I'm left to go 'So I guess this goes on eBay for $40?'  Makes it easier to 'spend big' on a GPU if it'll see six years of service life and it's a lot easier than buying three new GPUs for three systems. :P

I believe we're at a point where either:

• Single core performance is approaching its limit and at best, all we can do is small improvements because it's taking tremendous effort to even make 1%
    • I've noticed that a lot of jumps in single-core performance were often the result of a major architecture paradigm change, such as OOE, pipelining, branch prediction, moving from CISC to RISC, and integrating the memory controller into the CPU.
  • Software hasn't caught up to multi-core environments still. That or it can't, because the nature of the software lends itself to being stuck being synchronous (for example, the internet)

There's also the fact that mobile and servers are still the two biggest markets for parts, and they demand efficiency. Trying to squeeze that extra amount of performance without making your part consume a lot of power is probably very tough.

I agree for the most part, although everyone has different needs. In some areas I am still happy enough using 3-7 year old computers/tech, in others I want the best cost effective performance to save me time in tasks, or for the much needed connectivity changes.

I'm still happy with using my old ASUS i7 2670QM CPU laptop from 2011-ish for mobile use, as I don't need anything more powerful at the moment. And it had a blu-ray writer that I installed to it too, for those times when it's needed. But for desktop use, I am in the position where I need and want a better CPU if it brings big enough performance bumps to warrant it. I actually only upgraded Oct last year from an i5 4670K to an i7 6700K for my desktop, and then 2 months ago I upgraded again to a Ryzen 1700, even though the 6700K was OC'ed to 4.7Ghz, having the extra cores and threads is quite a performance bump for me as I make use of the extra threads, some in VM and some just because of multi-tasking. The 6700K isn't going to waste though as it's going to be used either in a portable workstation node 202 style or maybe even in an updated NAS/HTPC in-one system, then my current NAS would be relegated to a backup NAS , still deciding which to go with :D

The 4670K is now my test rig, so won't get used awefully much, but comes in handy if I have visitors that would like to use a computer. My old test rig, a phenom II 1055t is now unused at the moment, but will probably come up with some use case for it sometime. I am not that fussed with graphics cards, as I don't PC game much, so am happy enough to use slightly older cards that are still budget friendly. At the moment it's just a Radeon 7790, but may get an RX 580 if/when they become available or a Vega if cost is low enough. If I was a heavy PC gamer I would probably spend more, but get enough gaming pleasure from an xbox one for FPS/RPG games, and the PC for stuff like civ.

I'm sorry to say that any system pre-2009 out-lived it's usefulness and got dumped, where I live there are no charity tech places around, and got fed-up with looking for somewhere to take them, ebay was not an option as postage problems would be too chaotic for me #villagelife :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Tell me about it I still can't justify getting rid of my 4670k or my wife's 8320 or my laptop with a 4core amd/5450

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I started watching Linus tech tips and other tech youtube channels because I needed a decent work station. Over time I realized that the gamers not only knew the most but where the most honest and pragmatic about true performance/requirements. That was back in the 700 series days I got an i7 and a 700 series and it can can still play hd video on youtuve and edit in photoshop at the same time no problem. Watching 4k isn't an issue either ( i haven't needed to edit any though ) nor doing edits on gigabyte sized images or complex filters. Rendering video and packaging big books in indesign is where performance has finally begun to lack and I think that is mostly the HD I am using ( it isn't an ssd ). Frankly I don't see myself upgrading until this machine dies unless SSD's get even cheaper. As far as I a concerned this is a golden age and unless my workloads performance demands increase I am not upgrading any time soon.

I am in the same boat but I do not hold any high end hardware to my belt. I am only a mere mid-range system user with an Athlon 860K and an R7 360 which is currently two months short of being two years old and is still running like brand new. They are both in perfect physical condition too. In all fairness, I have changed my CPU cooler to a larger and more expensive Enermax ETS-T40 but that was bought used and I will continue to buy used. At the two years of age, I will buy a used R9 270X to keep me going for longer but I probably won't change that for another few years.

I guess it's all down to your needs, I don't need any high end hardware and I will perhaps continue to not need it as I am happy with what I have.

BTW, I am a true believer of valuing things that still work whilst they they can. I will always buy used parts so that they do not simply just go to landfill, many people often upgrade for the sake of it rather than thinking about what is best in the long term cost and effective need of things.

My used parts will eventually pile up into a used PC that I can give to another family member to get the use out of it. No waste here xD

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz