Intel’s 18 Core Skylake-X Won’t Be Available Until Next Year – 14 & 16 Core Parts To See Delayed Availability?

Mr_Troll

Intel HCC parts to see delayed avalaibility, 18 core i9 7980XE said to be MIA until next year

Intel’s new platform is the very first to feature CPU bifurcation where we’ll see SKUs based on different processor generations launch on the same socket. The Kaby Lake X lineup will be based on the same quadcore Silicon that’s been available on the LGA 1151 socket since last year and will only offer slightly higher clock speeds.

The Skylake-X parts are where things get a little bit more interesting. Here Intel is again bifurcating its lineup by limiting PCIe Gen3 lanes on its Skylake i7 parts to 28 instead of 44. The Skylake-X chips also differ in other ways, perhaps most peculiar is the fact that Intel will actually be leveraging two different CPU dies for this lineup. An LCC (Low Core Count) die and an HCC (High Core Count) die. The LCC die maxes out at 12 cores, while the HCC die maxes out at 18 cores.

All Skylake-X parts based on the HCC die will see delayed availability Intel has told the press at Computex. When exactly they’re going to be available Intel hasn’t announced just yet. Although it appears that these parts will actually see a very significant delay. An Asus representative has revealed that Intel’s 18 core CPU won’t be available until next year.

Intel-Skylake-X-delayed-1.png

Seeing as how the 16 & 14 core parts are based on the same Silicon it’s possible that these processors will also see delayed availability. The 12 core LCC flagship Core i9-7920X will also see delayed availability according to Intel, but will likely launch sooner than the HCC parts

Intel was clearty blindsided by AMDs Threadripper

Just one day after Intel announced its Core X series and X299 chipset AMD came out with its own announcement of enthusiast Threadripper processor and X399 chipset. As you can clearly tell from the name AMD has chosen for its chipset, it’s hell bent on one-upping Intel in the high-end desktop.

To add insult to Injury AMD announced that all of its Threadripper processors will feature 64 PCIe Gen3 lanes and quad channel DDR4 memory support. A clear dig at the fact that Intel’s Kaby Lake Core X series parts will be limited to dual channel DDR4 and 16 PCIe lanes and mid-range Core i7 Skylake-X parts being limited to 28 PCIe lanes rather than 44 like the higher end i9 parts.

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that Intel had always intended to continue its incrementalism had it got the chance. To date and for the past decade we had only seen Intel leverage its LCC dies for its high-end desktop platform. The fact that the company is going to be leveraging an HCC Xeon die for its high-end desktop platform for the first time, nearly doubling the core count of its flagship CPU after years of incrementalism, speaks volumes. And the fact that these parts will see delayed availability tells us Intel was caught off guard and was clearly not ready for AMD’s Threadripper surprise.

AMD announced that the Threadripper lineup in its entirety and X399 motherboards will be available this summer. Assuming AMD plays its cards right in terms of pricing the company could steal a big chunk of Intel’s high-end desktop revenue until its high core count parts are released. At which point we could see AMD counter again. Ever since AMD’s Ryzen launch earlier this year we’ve seen the CPU landscape get more fascinating by the minute and it doesn’t look like it’s going to stop any time soon.

Edit: Linus has some words about x299

Kind of suprised that Intel has nothing ready yet.

Source:http://wccftech.com/intels-skylake-x-core-i9-7980x-wont-be-available-until-next-year/

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93632-Late-June&p=653561&viewfull=1#post653561

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11464/intel-announces-skylakex-bringing-18core-hcc-silicon-to-consumers-for-1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE&t=755s

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

1 minute ago, Mr_Troll said:

Kind of suprised that Intel has nothing ready yet.

I disagree, it looks like Threadripper caught Intel off guard and Intel is scrambling to respond.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Man, Intel seems to have stumbled here. Their lack of a proper response makes me wonder just when it is that we'll see a serious bump in clock speed. People who need Xeon are going to buy Xeon and people who want a fast gaming CPU aren't going to plunk down more money for more, slower cores. I'm looking at buying a new processing machine at some point and I'm not convinced there will be any reason to buy Intel unless Threadripper and Epyc turn out to be busts.

I'd like to see a proper upgrade from my 4790k at some point.

Delayed release and all the crap with RAID keys and other stuff Intel is throwing out like a panicked person is kind of sad. They need to just stop, take a deep breath, focus on innovation again, and bring out a good product in a reasonable time and not some knee-jerk reaction with "We've got bigger! Look at our shiny object instead!"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Linus' video holds true here. Intel was ready to do something incremental again and boom, AMD comes along and rips Intel a new one. Now we have Threadripper with the only difference between SKUs being clockspeed and core count while the rest stays the same. 

Ye ole' train

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Delayed is stretching the truth a bit, more like unplanned product not ready yet but announced to have a competing product and worry about delivering it later.

Truth.^

@Mr_Troll  You must have grabbed that screen shot right after Raja posted or you got it from someone else who preferred that version.  :D

Within minutes of posting, Raja changed it to "later this year" so he must have made a mistake or Intel got into his shit.  xD

Capture.JPG.1f3b8888ab26502fa26a9f06660ab9d8.JPG

Well the original Skylake X slides Intel were showing off early last year topped out at 10 cores again, so it's clear they trying to counter AMD's Threadripper here.

Most likely putting in a lot of work to see which Xeons will work for x299 at decent clocks, and keep a decent TDP. Validation and all takes time after all.

nfiIzCa.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Well the original Skylake X slides Intel were showing off early last year topped out at 10 cores again, so it's clear they trying to counter AMD's Threadripper here.

nfiIzCa.png

Yeah, I don't even understand why Kaby Lake-X and i9 exist. Its such a rushed, unplanned, and overall confusing release

So... paper launch to try to compete for attention against a product that's supposedly hitting the market this summer? Or should they have all the specs defined to be considered even a paper launch?

I haven't understood KabyLake-X at all yet, but I must say that Linus' video made me think about something I wasn't considering: the troubles this platform bring to motherboard manufacturers. It must be much more straightforward to design boards for Threadripper, but also for existing Intel and AMD platforms.

57 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Delayed is stretching the truth a bit, more like unplanned product not ready yet but announced to have a competing product and worry about delivering it later.

Intel is scrambling like crazy here, they have no plan, they have to react. And it doesn't sound like they have done without issues, apart from issues Linus has pointed out there is also the issue of the fact ryzen's 16 core is rumored to be $849 so it probably will be under $1200 which still will be a major undercut of pricing compared to intel, and with thunderbolt coming to Ryzen as well there's even less reasons to go intel

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 hour ago, Number Muncher said:

Man, Intel seems to have stumbled here. Their lack of a proper response makes me wonder just when it is that we'll see a serious bump in clock speed. People who need Xeon are going to buy Xeon and people who want a fast gaming CPU aren't going to plunk down more money for more, slower cores. I'm looking at buying a new processing machine at some point and I'm not convinced there will be any reason to buy Intel unless Threadripper and Epyc turn out to be busts.

I'd like to see a proper upgrade from my 4790k at some point.

In theory, Coffee Lake is in a few months, which is the Kaby Lake replacement.  Though with a new socket and a 6c12t part as the top SKU, but we probably also should have heard some more about it.  (I've seen a few people speculating that yields are bad on 10 nm process right now.)  So it's completely a matter of "we'll see". 

It wouldn't be the first time that Intel has a down cycle while AMD has a big up cycle. My Athlon XP was a damn beast.

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

In theory, Coffee Lake is in a few months, which is the Kaby Lake replacement.  Though with a new socket and a 6c12t part as the top SKU, but we probably also should have heard some more about it.  (I've seen a few people speculating that yields are bad on 10 nm process right now.)  So it's completely a matter of "we'll see". 

It wouldn't be the first time that Intel has a down cycle while AMD has a big up cycle. My Athlon XP was a damn beast.

if Coffee Lake comes out soon and has a 6c12t part that puts the x299 7800x in a odd spot. both will be 6c12t but 7800x only giving extra PCIe lanes for the added cost.

x299 seems like a huge disappointment. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Mr_Troll, your profile picture sums up my feelings towards this occurrence.  

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

28 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Intel is scrambling like crazy here, they have no plan, they have to react. And it doesn't sound like they have done without issues, apart from issues Linus has pointed out there is also the issue of the fact ryzen's 16 core is rumored to be $849 so it probably will be under $1200 which still will be a major undercut of pricing compared to intel, and with thunderbolt coming to Ryzen as well there's even less reasons to go intel

On Intel's side they are lucky they can just do this sort of thing. Since they leverage the dies from the Xeon product range they can just grab the upper tier die that contains more cores and do all the same customizations like usual to create a HEDT product.

It's not even a big design effort at all, to me there are only two issues with X299: Kaby Lake-X and RAID keys etc which are both utterly stupid.

Sad truth is Intel could have been offering these higher tiers of HEDT CPUs for the last two generations but didn't, whether that was due to lack of demand or competition still doesn't change that they could of. Instead a lot of people/business had to buy workstations with Xeons in them when none of the Xeon features were required, we've got plenty of those in my work place. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

On Intel's side they are lucky they can just do this sort of thing. Since they leverage the dies from the Xeon product range they can just grab the upper tier die that contains more cores and do all the same customizations like usual to create a HEDT product.

It's not even a big design effort at all, to me there are only two issues with X299: Kaby Lake-X and RAID keys etc which are both utterly stupid.

Sad truth is Intel could have been offering these higher tiers of HEDT CPUs for the last two generations but didn't, whether that was due to lack of demand or competition still doesn't change that they could of. Instead a lot of people/business had to buy workstations with Xeons in them when none of the Xeon features were required, we've got plenty of those in my work place. 

Given the efforts of Intel to shrink core size and reduce their power consumption, I don't think performance or power consumption will be a big concern, however, it is very unlikely that the X299 platform was even designed with such CPU's in mind.

The engineers behind the cpu are probably ready and willing to take on AMD, but the engineers in charge of the platform are the ones scrambling around to make sure nothing major breaks. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Lol go Intel don't worry a shot load of followers on this forum that wallet you get away with ripping people off.

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Given the efforts of Intel to shrink core size and reduce their power consumption, I don't think performance or power consumption will be a big concern, however, it is very unlikely that the X299 platform was even designed with such CPU's in mind.

The engineers behind the cpu are probably ready and willing to take on AMD, but the engineers in charge of the platform are the ones scrambling around to make sure nothing major breaks. 

It's not really as big of a deal as you might think. On the Xeon side for example the same C series chipset supports all 3 Xeon variant dies and it's no different on the X chipset either. Since the same number of PCIe lanes are on the dies and they are exact feature parity there isn't anything to do.

The chipsets are very much like the HEDT vs Xeon dies, same stuff but with things turned off.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's this that makes me wonder how Itzel is planning on responding to EPYC. AFAIK Intel doesn't have anything applicable with that many cores so they would have to design a new CPU from scratch (aside from architecture of course).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

It's this that makes me wonder how Itzel is planning on responding to EPYC. AFAIK Intel doesn't have anything applicable with that many cores so they would have to design a new CPU from scratch (aside from architecture of course).

Skylake-EP was originally announced to have 28 cores, current rumors are saying that Intel has increased it to 32 cores. On the server side Intel is in a far better position than AMD is.

It's almost as bad as Nvidia who just release products with CUDA cores disabled then just gradually unlock them over time with 'new products'.

For the first time i suppose that meme was right in a flashing way:

Intel inside, idiots outside.

Ugh, Moltres hopefully will trump Articuno this time.

Groomlake Authority