Right to repair

Dizzyhat

New Jersey has a push for a right to repair bill that would push tools guides and parts to repair device to shops and consumers.   This would nuke the high repair cost standard that comes with certain electronics and products.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/new-jersey-becomes-the-12th-state-to-consider-right-to-repair-legislation

The problem with the "Right to repair bill" is that it does not actually protect your right to repair your own device because you will always have that right. What it does is force OEMs like Apple or Microsoft to sell repair shops components so that they can get free buisness. And I don't like that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The problem with the "Right to repair bill" is that it does not actually protect your right to repair your own device because you will always have that right. What it does is force OEMs like Apple or Microsoft to sell repair shops components so that they can get free buisness. And I don't like that. 

I think you are correct that you will always have the right to repair, but a bill like this is meant to protect/enhance that right by making sure you can actually exercise it. Earlier devices, such as pre-computer cars, CRT TVs, appliances, were easy get spare parts for, even from 3rd party sources. Thus historically you not only had the right to repair, but also the ability to do so. This has been changed by how specialized parts have become in phones, ultraportable laptops, consoles, and even cars and appliances.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

to sell repair shops components so that they can get free buisness.

So the repair shops get free business? I don't understand what you mean by this statement... Can you please elaborate on what you meant here.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

It might not nuke those high prices though. There's nothing there that says how much the OEMs have to charge for the said components. And you know what will happen? The original price of said items are going to go up to counter the costs associated with providing those parts. You're punishing the many to satisfy the needs of the few. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i wish europe already adopted the right to repair, with the watchdogs actively suing company's not obeying the law.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

How will you enforce your "right to repair your own device" if you can't legally buy a component? This is not a "problem" with the law, it's what makes it useful in the first place. How is it "free business"? Do you think repair shops don't have to work somehow simply because the parts can be bought new instead of having to strip them off of donor boards? Would you say that of a car repair shop? If you said car repair shops should have a stack of dead donor cars to strip parts from because selling them new components would be "free business" you'd be laughed out of the room. Have the same respect for people who repair devices you use every day.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

So the repair shops get free business? I don't understand what you mean by this statement... Can you please elaborate on what you meant here.

Its not about giving repair shops free business. Its about making sure that parts are available for consumers to repair devices in general. Right now for an average consumer their only choice is to bring it back to the manufacturer, who will probably charge significantly more than the "part plus labor plus profit margin" would suggest it should cost, partially to encourage you to just buy a new device instead, or bring it to a tech shop who may be using substandard parts. If the parts are available for purchase, then yes the repair shops would likely get more business, but only because they would be charging closer to what a non-inflated repair cost would be. If companies don't want repair shops to get business in that case, then they just have to charge a competitive price on the repair service that they offer.

To be clear, I don't personally have a position on whether this is the "right thing to do". I'm not sure that every product you buy implicitly comes with the ability to get repair parts for it, and that companies should be forced to make repair parts available for purchase. But a car or TV bought in the mid/late 20th century was way easier to get parts and repairs for than devices that are released now, and people who argue for the "right to repair" see that as harming their right, specifically because they can't exercise the right. A right that can't be exercised is akin to not having that right at all. These "Right to Repair" bills seek to return the situation closer to how it was with prior devices.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

It might not nuke those high prices though. There's nothing there that says how much the OEMs have to charge for the said components. And you know what will happen? The original price of said items are going to go up to counter the costs associated with providing those parts. You're punishing the many to satisfy the needs of the few. 

Competition would ensure that doesn't happen. And if OEMs try to collectively hike the prices artificially, they'll be in violation of current antitrust laws.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, brwainer said:

But a car or TV bought in the mid/late 20th century was way easier to get parts and repairs for than devices that are released now

Couldn't a reason for this be that most electronics these days are a lot more advanced/smaller?

47 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Couldn't a reason for this be that most electronics these days are a lot more advanced/smaller?

That is absolutely true, and that is one reason why you can't get third party parts that are as good or better (see: aftermarket car parts) as the original. A cynic will argue that tech companies are taking advantage of this to monopolize you into only getting complete new products. 

Another aspect that should not be ignored is that supply chains are complicated. It is simple and easy to say "just make more parts and don't put all of them together into whole devices" but each part has a different lead time (how long it takes from placing an order to getting the part) and are made in different batch sizes. Apple is considered the master of supply chain management because they are able to get almost no buildup of stock happening. This applies to both stock on the shelves, which is what most people think of, but also stock of parts to make new devices, and stock of raw material to make the parts. In such a finely tuned system of parts management, to say "make extra parts for spares and stock them up to sell for repairs" is not trivial. 

I don't know the specifics of the right to repair laws that are being considered, in New Jersey and elsewhere. Specifically I don't know for how long after a product is released they are required to be able to sell parts. If its longer than the product is sold for, I can see that being a major pain. If you tell Apple, who changes products annually, or a car manufacturer who might use a certain part for 10 years in a row but another part on only a specific model and year, that they have to have repair parts available for 3 years after production ends, that is a major logistical hurdle. If they make too little, they have to go back to the old production tooling and restart a production line - very expensive. If they make too many, then that part takes up space for a long time, possibly after consumers stop using the product.

Based on these issues I am not sure where I stand on the matter. It depends on how the laws are written, which I have not studied yet. Overall I believe in the right to repair, but am unsure about the implementation.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Competition would ensure that doesn't happen. And if OEMs try to collectively hike the prices artificially, they'll be in violation of current antitrust laws.

Unfortunately that's easy for them to step around, They just make sure their repair shops are paying the same inflated costs as the generic repairers.  Money always flows back to the biggest corp, just like shit always flows down hill.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

52 minutes ago, brwainer said:

That is absolutely true, and that is one reason why you can't get third party parts that are as good or better (see: aftermarket car parts) as the original. A cynic will argue that tech companies are taking advantage of this to monopolize you into only getting complete new products. 

Another aspect that should not be ignored is that supply chains are complicated. It is simple and easy to say "just make more parts and don't put all of them together into whole devices" but each part has a different lead time (how long it takes from placing an order to getting the part) and are made in different batch sizes. Apple is considered the master of supply chain management because they are able to get almost no buildup of stock happening. This applies to both stock on the shelves, which is what most people think of, but also stock of parts to make new devices, and stock of raw material to make the parts. In such a finely tuned system of parts management, to say "make extra parts for spares and stock them up to sell for repairs" is not trivial. 

I don't know the specifics of the right to repair laws that are being considered, in New Jersey and elsewhere. Specifically I don't know for how long after a product is released they are required to be able to sell parts. If its longer than the product is sold for, I can see that being a major pain. If you tell Apple, who changes products annually, or a car manufacturer who might use a certain part for 10 years in a row but another part on only a specific model and year, that they have to have repair parts available for 3 years after production ends, that is a major logistical hurdle. If they make too little, they have to go back to the old production tooling and restart a production line - very expensive. If they make too many, then that part takes up space for a long time, possibly after consumers stop using the product.

Based on these issues I am not sure where I stand on the matter. It depends on how the laws are written, which I have not studied yet. Overall I believe in the right to repair, but am unsure about the implementation.

Wow I got to say I agree with every point you made. Thanks for showing both sides of the story here.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I like that. I dont want to use shoddy chinese reject components or poorly built replacement parts. 

I want oem at a price i can afford and repair myself. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

how do you repair your device if you dont have access to the parts?

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

sure ..

that's why they tell you: "you lose the warranty if you remove this sticker" or that sticker, or this one over here, or that other one over there

also, how about you don't actually own the thing you bought, you only bought the licence to use it

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

sure ..

that's why they tell you: "you lose the warranty if you remove this sticker" or that sticker, or this one over here, or that other one over there

In a lot of countries, those stickers are all bark and no bite, totally unenforceable. Depends on where you live of course, but invalidating a warranty by removing those stickers is illegal in many places.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

In a lot of countries, those stickers are all bark and no bite, totally unenforceable. Depends on where you live of course, but invalidating a warranty by removing those stickers is illegal in many places.

there are countries and different laws or even lack of law

for example, I don't recall in my country a law that prohibits or enables removing/breaking the seals to void the warranty of the products - the sellers will always deny you the warranty claim if they see a broken seal

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

there are countries and different laws or even lack of law

for example, I don't recall in my country a law that prohibits or enables removing/breaking the seals to void the warranty of the products - the sellers will always deny you the warranty claim if they see a broken seal

In a country where no law exists, the company can pretty much get away with it. You'd have to sue them to set precedence in case law, based on some other consumer protection law, or you'd have to convince government to make a new regulation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That's some of the stupidest shit I've read in a while.

As someone in the repair shop world. It's a tough business model because things aren't made to be repaired. They are made to be replaced. You're forced to spend $700 on a new phone when the repair should only cost $30-$100. You can open a lot of these phones, but the chance of breaking something else in the process is 1000%.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

6 hours ago, ttam said:

You can open a lot of these phones, but the chance of breaking something else in the process is 1000%.

Not true.  We repair phones quite often where I work, and - while it is possible to damage something in the process - it's quite rare.

People still believe that laws are made to help the citizens? The big corporations are laughin'

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Certain companies, like Toshiba could have benefited from this. Toshiba didn't want to support devices past the 1 year manufacturer warranty, so they wouldn't produce or provide any manufacturers support to anyone, even repair shops, after the 1 year warranty.

If people want their devices to be cheaper to support, they have to take care of them. Don't cheap out and skip the phone case for their $700 phone. Get a surge protector for their brand new desktop. Don't drink coffee while using their laptop on a bus in NYC traffic. Purchase legitimate antivirus.

From my repair experience, I'd say that 98% of all issues are preventable. The rest are the hardware failures and software glitches you cannot do anything about. Apple wants to charge an arm and a leg to repair your device? $350 for a screen. Well, that $35 case doesn't look so bad, now does it?

The only thing I wish this to expand upon is the specifics of warranty. Certain laptops have warranty stickers but the manufacturer says you can open it and expand RAM and update HDD. Well, why put a warranty sticker over the screw?

The issue isn't about manufacturers trying to screw over its consumers. The issue is the idiots that blow up their shit, then try to claim its the manufacturers fault.

Case in point? The guy with the bent i7 7700k CPU because it didn't get inserted properly before closing ZIF Arm. Or the guy who installed new RAM and his device won't turn on any more (but he didn't use any anti-static precaution because that part is a myth only........). Not manufacturer's fault, yet people get mad if they have to pay for their own mistakes.

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

And I don't like that. 

Why? Now repair shops have to skower ebay and alixpress for replacement parts that <<might>> work that the chinese steal off the assembly lines.

If this bill passes, OEM will have to SELL the components (not give them away) and give the schematics to repair shops so they'll be able to repair more efficiently and cheaply.

The bill started with farmers suing tractor manufacturers for the ability to repair their own tractors. (something about selling them cheaply and making the money on services) So the your own right's also there.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

11 hours ago, ttam said:

It's a tough business model

Too bad. Adapt or fail. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)