AMD is dead in the water

AMD proved today to suck beyond belief: only 16 core processor, no pricing information, vega demos were not good.  Sad, I was really hoping to stay away from Intel and Nvidia but sadly AMD decided to shoot itself in the foot today.

Credible news source: AMD itself!

they are not just wait a little and it will get better also not news format 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Please get this moved. This includes no source, no quotes, is highly subjective, provides nothing useful to the news section, and does not promote intelligent discussion, but rather is designed or put in such a way as to create heated arguments.

It violates too many of the news section posting guidelines.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

if not for Ryzen CPUs

we will still be stuck with expensive Intel CPUs

also the RX480/580s are all rounder GPUs in terms of price to performance vs the GTX 1060

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

if not for Ryzen CPUs

we will still be stuck with expensive Intel CPUs

also the RX480/580s are all rounder GPUs in terms of price to performance vs the GTX 1060

lol I know right,, Lets also completely gloss over that AMD is the Total supplier to the Console market, and that the R5 line up has made two entire tiers of Intel redundant not to mention the R3 range is going to really kick up the Budget market (as if the R5 1400 Didn't do a good enough job) 

I agree with the above posts, this thread is pretty pointless and VERY misinformed. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Hilariously, they announced the 16/32 Threadripper CPU ages ago. EPYC is the 32/64 chip. 

Bit annoyed about no consumer Vega, but it was expected. 

Heh... "Only" 16 cores. Even with running a personal UnRaid pentesting server, I hardly ever fully utilized 16 cores (2x E5-2680s). It's a superniche area, and not releasing pricing isn't the end of the world considering that it is launching within the next month. We'll see how Vega turns out.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

6 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

uhhh what

the 480/580 is good for compute but on par/behind the 1060 6GB in games at a little bit of a lower price 

they're selling a fuckton because of the good compute performance - people who mine ETH and other cryptos are building rigs like crazy

but this has left lots of people without GPUs - there are very little 580s in stock anywhere. 

the 1060 6GB has sold many more units, look at steam hw survey

idk

You see, they're dead in the water with Vega. Polaris is still going, Ryzen is doing great, but by the time Vega is actually in stores Volta will be out or ~1 month out at which point why would you get Vega?

Vega being late is pretty much due to HBM2 being delayed, but the failed marketing campaign (remember Poor Volta? lol) isn't helping either. It's late, way behind the game and the way AMD promotes it makes it look trash.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

uhhh what

the 480/580 is good for compute but on par/behind the 1060 6GB in games at a little bit of a lower price 

To Quote "On Par" "Lower Price" 

that to me sounds like a brilliant card and exactly what @dragoon20005 was saying. If you can get 1060 performance for cheaper Hell yeah. 

@lots of unexplainable lag I'll agree with you there, With Nvidia about to drop more bombs, Enjoy the sucsess of the RX5's and get ready for the next round. Personally I'm enjoying nvidea having the Top tier but having to keep the mid range prices true as AMD is now on par with them :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

22 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

they are not just wait a little and it will get better also not news format 

it IS news format.  I summarized the stream and linked to it.  The stream is directly from AMD, so it is credible.  I know you probably want some Fake News but this was done as per forum rulez.

Just now, Not_Sean said:

To Quote "On Par" "Lower Price" 

that to me sounds like a brilliant card and exactly what @dragoon20005 was saying. If you can get 1060 performance for cheaper Hell yeah.

Removing half my quote to push your point isn't what I wanted to happen, but okay. 

At the moment, due to the crypto boom, the RX580 has skyrocketed in price - it's higher for an 8GB 580 than a 6GB 1060. 

idk

18 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

@THE_maverick Might you expand a bit as to how you came to that conclusion with specifics?

Sure.  Intel showed their dick size and even gave pricing.  AMD was afraid to even do so for a reason: they could not not compare to Intel.

Also, as far as Vega, they have delayed it so long and not really showed off its powers that by the time it is out Volta will be released (confirmed by Nvidia earlier this week).  So they cannot compete for that market either as they can't produce those gpus cheap enough to move them.  

Specific enough for you?

3 minutes ago, THE_maverick said:

it IS news format.  I summarized the stream and linked to it.  The stream is directly from AMD, so it is credible.  I know you probably want some Fake News but this was done as per forum rulez.

No, it's not.  You posted a link to the stream and gave a (heavily biased) opinion.  That's not news.

Just now, THE_maverick said:

Sure.  Intel showed their dick size and even gave pricing.  AMD was afraid to even do so for a reason: they could not not compare to Intel.

Intel gave no spec for the higher end chips at all. 

It's like a fucking face off - each team is waiting for the other to draw their gun out. 

idk

28 minutes ago, THE_maverick said:

only 16 core processor

oh gee.. only 16 cores, how will we survive?

you know that anything more than 12 cores on an intel costs more than AMD's R&D budget right? if AMD manages to push their "threadripper" into professional markets at a significantly lower price, they just might make it into HP proliants again.

Just now, Jito463 said:

No, it's not.  You posted a link to the stream and gave a (heavily biased) opinion.  That's not news.

fox news is technically news as well..

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

oh gee.. only 16 cores, how will we survive?

you know that anything more than 12 cores on an intel costs more than AMD's R&D budget right? if AMD manages to push their "threadripper" into professional markets at a significantly lower price, they just might make it into HP proliants again.

Like a 8-bay nas powered by ryzen?

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Intel gave no spec for the higher end chips at all. 

It's like a fucking face off - each team is waiting for the other to draw their gun out. 

Intel's dick is so big they gave pricing.  AMD was so scared they did not.  So no, it is not a face-off when one team knows how much better they are to the degree that saying 2000 dollars for a processor does not even hold any hesitation to it.