AMD is dead in the water

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

probably this is what's going on.

as well as QPI misfits maybe?

also, possibly long-term reliability concerns as well? i mean.. high end xeons are made to run for 20 years straight :P

Probably. This has gone on since X58, where consumer and enterprise have had the same socket.

idk

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

sure.. but a $2000 "enthousiast" processor isnt a very good meme..

i honestly feel like the entire X series of processors is just a rebranded xeon lineup..

The price didn't have to be good just the name :^

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, THE_maverick said:

how is the dual setup working with VR nowadays?  it used to be pretty bad.  also we tried to do this for part of what we do, but most clients got headaches so we have yet to implement it again.

thats the very reason we wont even touch the whole dual stuff, if we'll end up going trough with the VR stuff at all.

we're of the opinion that we either deliver with guarantee, or dont deliver at all.

THANKS!  And to all the contributors as well.  And to the h8rs too, your comments are so funny!!!

no offence, but your thread is kinda stupid, AMD is not dead lol. I was saying the amounts of comments and h8er (i gotta agree with the "haters") are funny

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

no offence, but your thread is kinda stupid, AMD is not dead lol. I was saying the amounts of comments and h8er (i gotta agree with the "haters") are funny

people have been saying "AMD is dead" for years on end.. it's not gonna stop, might as well have some breakfast fun with it.

Radeon RX : sold out worldwide
AMD Ryzen : selling well and reccomended everywhere

AMD/RADEON IS DEAD
ALL HAIL INTEL AND NVIDIA AS OUR NEW OVERLORDS

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

oh man, the chinese accent is strong in this video.... Even as a fellow chinese, it's painful to listen.

@manikyath Ding ding ding you got it. The Extreme CPus by Intel have always just been cut down Xeons. bascially jsut meant to allow people willing to shell out money to buy a Xeon.

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i have equal hate for the endless boat of titans as i do for intel's naming system, maybe even a tad more.

i like the system amd chose for their ryzens.. more or less.. i like the naming system, but they then filled it with meaningless numbers.

meaningless numbers and way too much cpu's in the stacks at most they needed 2 of each one with SMT on and one with SMT off and they would have had a cleaner product stack 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, Tellos said:

@manikyath Ding ding ding you got it. The Extreme CPus by Intel have always just been cut down Xeons. bascially jsut meant to allow people willing to shell out money to buy a Xeon.

sure they have been, but the X series is just an entire series of xeons with a different badge on them, regardless of if they make sense or not.

Just now, leadeater said:

I'm not sure where this goes, spam/troll section maybe?

:o that section exists ?? CPU should be fine lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

maybe, to honor trump, we need a "fake news" section for all negativity towards AMD, and all positivity towards intel and nvidia :D

@manikyath I get that but I think it is more a sign that intel isint sure what to do. It doesint wanna raise core counts on consumer CPUs but it needed to do something it was already working on to seem like it was "Responding." As to the op I donno what he is doing that needs THAT many cores that wouldint benefit from a proper Xeon but ok whatever. Typically msot consu8mers won't get much out of a 2,000 dollar CPU with ass loads of threads or cores. past 12 most Enthusiststs are bascially past what they can max out. So unless your job is running thin clients on scores of PCs on the "cheap" or trying to squeeze contenent creation out on the cheap and want every last mhz you can squeeze out of each Core I don't see it. Even the op admits it's HIS specific set up. 90% of buisnesses woudl be better off calling intel and asking for prices on a Xeon.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

are you just upset because I was right and you need to take like 2K hits in the nuts???  I am also right at this being news, BTW 

are you just upset because I was right and you need to take like 2K hits in the nuts???  I am also right at this being news, BTW 

Are you an NSA agent by chance?

I only ask cause this thread looks like a psy-ops job to me.

And ladies and gents this is how a thread gets locked.

2 minutes ago, THE_maverick said:

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

exactly my issue here :P

and i really miss seeing AMD stickers on HP proliants, i've seen too many intel stickers from G2 all the way trough G9.

Gen10 is getting Naples, had a meeting with HPE last week and they outlined the new servers and Gen10 is getting the new Intel processors and AMD. Coming soon but can't say cos, NDA ;).

#JustBrokeNDAAnyway

1 minute ago, THE_maverick said:

If you are serious about your question, I'll do my best with a brief answer.

Believe it or not, most 3d applications today use DX or similar which benefits from GEFORCE.  Albeit i never said anything about 'gaming' graphics cards, the Vega FE is as late and pointless as their gaming counterparts.

In regards to Epyc vs Threadripper or Xeon vs I9.  Same story, you can most of the time get much better price/performance for what we do if you stick whit the enthusiast grade.  Yep, even at 2K dollars, given the higher clockspeeds and the less expensive RAM, etc... you get a better return for the investment.  

Again, this is my specific setup, but companies larger than ours spend tons of money on getting the Xeons and Pro Cards and they don't even know why other than it says 'pro'.  It is a waste because they don't know what they do.  We also use game development software alongside other things, so yes the best thing we can do is hit it right down the middle.

I feel like that some of these are misnomers.

DX -> CUDA Acceleration

GEFORCE -> CUDA Cores

I have no issue with either of these statements, despite on how much I hate the fact this is true. 

Same goes for the second statement, but I would like to state that even though AMD cards do not support CUDA, they are not "Pointless". They often times provide a much greater IO/$ than NVidia if CUDA acceleration isn't necessary. Unfortunately Matlab and SolidEdge greatly benefit from CUDA, so NVidia has forced my hand for GPU selection for my next build. 

I agree that you do get better price/performance with any type of consumer equipment, but often for medium businesses real-estate is more cost-effective than pure cost. There also isn't the same amount of support for consumer as there is for professional equipment, which the peace of mind and guarantees from the OEM is by far worth the extra price.

The reason why they get "Pro" cards are for driver support to "Unlock" other card capabilities. (Again, it frustrates me, but I somewhat understand) It also has better support than consumer cards. Also, more modern "pro" cards are moving towards ECC memory. 

I understand that your business likely isn't at the stage that requires the "professional" cards, but there are situations that necessitate it. The guarantee that these businesses get with the Xeon and Epyc CPUs is by far worth the price for these larger businesses. 

If your business primarily relies on desktops for employees rather than offloading, I can see how generic consumer equipment would be more ideal. However, an AMD-NVidia setup would be more cost effective than an Intel-Nvidia setup when going with consumer equipment, since it seems that you require CUDA acceleration. Again, you're paying nearly double for the equivalent performance (multicore, since that seems to be the debate here) with Intel's i9 and Ryzen, so much of what you have taken issue with defeats itself. You talk about cost-effectiveness, then you say AMD is dead in the water. If you truly cared about pure cost-effectiveness, you wouldn't even be worried about current generation.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

You need to follow the posting guidelines for the news section, it'll get moved back once you fix it up. Tag/reply and I'll move it back once that's done.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Could you explain the joke to me?

It's lyrics to a song. I quote it whenever something strange is happening and I don't know how to properly respond to the absurdity.

-KuJoe

and AMD

amd options? i'm hype now :P

are they just the high core count numbercrunchers tho?

You need to follow the posting guidelines for the news section.

I did, but since everyone complained you had to follow what they told you.  I get it.  Smart people are always told they are 'too smart', so I'll take it as a compliment.

Just now, manikyath said:

amd options? i'm hype now :P

are they just the high core count numbercrunchers tho?

Nothing really special, just AMD CPU variant like before i.e. DL380 vs DL385. Comes down to workload as to which is the better pick, AMD supports more memory and more PCIe lanes where as Intel has the upper hand with things like VMware/KVM etc and years of fine tuning.