Vulkan and OpenCL to merge into a single "compute graphics" API?!

source: https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-opencl-2.2-with-spir-v-1.2

via: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Breaking-OpenCL-Merging-Roadmap-Vulkan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

OpenCL.jpg+320px-Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png=main-thumb-t-1800-200-lOn8kKfhqfcTcKdt2G

this is one for the history books if it does happen

take note to what the Khronos Group writes in the press release that they had with OpenCL 2.2 release:

We are also working to converge with, and leverage, the Khronos Vulkan API — merging advanced graphics and compute into a single API.”

hello!

PCPer e-mailed Khronos Group to clarify if the interpretation is correct, this was their answer:

The OpenCL working group has taken the decision to converge its roadmap with Vulkan, and use Vulkan as the basis for the next generation of explicit compute APIs – this also provides the opportunity for the OpenCL roadmap to merge graphics and compute.

there are some questions tho ...

OpenCL is not owned by the Khronos Group, but by Apple - is Apple going to sell their rights of the OpenCL API?

Good.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yes please kill DirectX. 

Soo, what now?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Soo, what now?

well, we wouldn't be enslaved by microsoft just to enjoy all the best games

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also Apple released OpenCL to Khronos as a royalty-free open standard. So in effect, they own OpenCL.

Khronos does not own OpenCL - Khronos only maintains it

Apple and only Apple issues certifications and licences

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess that brings up the question of what does ownership even mean?

who's the licence holder? Apple - case closed

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, they only own the name and the logo.

Anyway, this is derailing the topic.

mate, they own everything

here's what Apple says regarding companies who want to implement OpenCL: "Become a Khronos Group Adopter and complete the Conformance Test process detailed on the Khronos Group website." - they mandate who does what

I think the reason why Final Cut Pro X is fast when rendering and exporting is because of OpenCL. Would it make it faster if they merged OpenCL and Vulkan? I hope so. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yay, monopolies for the win! 

Ironically that is kind of the problem with DX as so many games run on it, few option for Linux/OSX (And even some of those aren't that great, only a few games implement it well). But I agree, any sort of Monopoly is bad. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Well, i can't think of a reason why this would be bad soo, do it!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

13 hours ago, Cyracus said:

well, we wouldn't be enslaved by microsoft just to enjoy all the best games

Ahay, cool

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

DirectX being tied in to so many games is a corner stone of windows and one of the reasons we are forced to use it.

Forced? 

DirectX carries the backing of one of the largest companies on Earth. It carries all the support and documentation and experience that comes with it. Using DX means you get access to some actual backend support and extensive testing and everything else. DX is massive and everywhere, but what engine maker is willingly going to ditch it? None. 

Its a pipe dream to think that most people give a shit about Vulkan. OpenCl has more traction. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

DirectX being tied in to so many games is a corner stone of windows and one of the reasons we are forced to use it.

No one forces you to use Windows. If everyone would start to use Linux, then Linux would suddenly be the 'evil' OS.

You can either do something or keep complaining. But complaining will only give you higher blood pressure and maybe a heart attack in the future.

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Yay, monopolies for the win! 

uhmm since it is open-source (correct me if I'm wrong I am too bored to look) that means that it cannot be a monopoly. Anyone can just fork it and create their own thing. On the other hand with DirectX mamma M$ will kill you and your first son if you dare infringe on their patents.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

36 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If everyone would start to use Linux, then Linux would suddenly be the 'evil' OS.

if you've ever used linux you'd know it's evil, but it's like the riddler to microsofts joker. 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

No one forces you to use Windows. If everyone would start to use Linux, then Linux would suddenly be the 'evil' OS.

You can either do something or keep complaining. But complaining will only give you higher blood pressure and maybe a heart attack in the future.

Your point lacks one key element. My argument was I'd ditch windows in a heartbeat if it wasn't for games.

Tell me how to play 100% of games on Linux and I will do a clean install right now.

So no I cannot do anything about it at present.

Oh, that's very interesting. Yeah I wonder how the Apple part will go though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |