Vulkan and OpenCL to merge into a single "compute graphics" API?!

On 5/17/2017 at 2:26 AM, zMeul said:

Khronos does not own OpenCL - Khronos only maintains it

Apple and only Apple issues certifications and licences

Well they sould have sent another email asking about that, i doubt Khronos would announce by itself the unification of VK+OCL  without license aproval.

Either way if Khronos is the API maintainer what does the license say? is it preventing them from merging OCL as the compute part in VK? we need clarification on what type of licensing they have too, otherwise we can just asume this or that.

11 hours ago, zMeul said:

hmmm

I'm thinking more in the way of using OpenCL to accelerate the physics engine, much in the way nVidia uses CUDA to accelerate PhysX (depending on the implementation)

there could be all sorts of things that Vulkan doesn't do natively but could be offloaded to a compute API

Vulkan (and even OpenGL) already has compute shaders that can be used to do this. Likewise you can run OpenCL and Vulkan shaders side by side and share data back and forth (you just have to manage them manually which is a pain). OpenCL isn't a physics engine in itself though so either way you need to build up a physics engine atop it.

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

as far as I'm aware, MS is working into introducing serious compute into DirectX

they also bought Havok

DirectCompute is already a thing and is available in DX11 and DX12 similar to OpenGL/Vulkan compute shaders. If they've got an updated version of DirectCompute coming down the line that's cool and all for DX11/12 devs, but it's already lost to OpenCL on the greater market. A prebuilt physics engine atop DirectCompute would be nice for DX game devs though.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:44 AM, zMeul said:

have you read the title and the contents of the OP? please do - OpenCL has everything to do with it

now and for the last time: OpenCL is not open source - open standard does not mean open source

Have you ever heard of a nice word called context? Look it up: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/context

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

6 hours ago, yian88 said:

Well they sould have sent another email asking about that, i doubt Khronos would announce by itself the unification of VK+OCL  without license aproval.

Either way if Khronos is the API maintainer what does the license say? is it preventing them from merging OCL as the compute part in VK? we need clarification on what type of licensing they have too, otherwise we can just asume this or that.

for us it matters not

if Kronos can and will join the two APIs then they have a deal with Apple