Ubuntu 18.04 to ship with Gnome Desktop, not Unity

patrick3027

In what is probably the most shocking news in the Linux community for the past three years, Ubuntu has announced it will ditch it's mobile efforts, its convergence shell and Unity 8.

I’m writing to let you know that we will end our investment in Unity8, the phone and convergence shell. We will shift our default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

[...]

We will continue to produce the most usable open source desktop in the world, to maintain the existing LTS releases, to work with our commercial partners to distribute that desktop, to support our corporate customers who rely on it, and to delight the millions of IoT and cloud developers who innovate on top of it.

So it turns out that Unity 8, which was announced something like 5 years ago, is vaporware. Pretty disappointed.

Source: https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

Via: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/ubuntu-18-04-ship-gnome-desktop-not-unity

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

But I like Unity...

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Good. If I wanted a mobile UI by default, I'd be using Windows 8 or 10.

It's not like you are locked into a particular GUI, though, so the question is whether you can easily switch to Unity, and whether someone will develop Unity any further (same as whiners like me could swap out Unity before :P)

I've been using Ubuntu with Unity for a while now and still prefer GNOME, is 18.04 going to be LTS?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

Just now, Satisfoxy said:

I've been using Ubuntu with Unity for a while now and still prefer GNOME, is 18.04 going to be LTS?

Yes.

pretty shocking news

well unity is going the way of windows 8 metro interface... PC users have spoken they do not want a mobile-esque touch first interface while using a mouse and keyboard.

meanwhile I am using fedora 25 with gnome and it's awesome.

I'll update when it comes out.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

i find this hard to believe. I actually like unity now that its mature, and i was looking forward to convergence. It wont bother me to go back to gnome but what does this mean for ubuntu phone?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

what does this mean for ubuntu phone?

It means it's dead.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

It means it's dead.

:(:(:(

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

It means it's dead.

apt remove ubuntu-sdk

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Daring said:

It's not like many people adopted it anyway. It generated less interest than Windows on phones, which is honestly an achievement.

i dont know i think their phones and tablets sold well but got terrible reviews

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Daring said:

It's not like many people adopted it anyway. It generated less interest than Windows on phones, which is honestly an achievement.

I was planning on getting my hands on an android compatible with it at some point. It looked cool, and would open up tinkering possibilities.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Wow this is very suprising! I feel it's Huge, I've always known Ubuntu with Unity... Isn't my distro of choice but DAMN... Sad IMHO, It was the only real shot any GNU/Linux distro had of a solid OSX like ecosystem. Though it has been dead for a while.. I just hurts to see them put the final nail on the coffin. I never hated Unity really... But it isn't my desktop environment of choice either..

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Halleluja.

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i find this hard to believe. I actually like unity now that its mature, and i was looking forward to convergence. It wont bother me to go back to gnome but what does this mean for ubuntu phone?

Ubuntu phone is dead and frankly it was barely ever alive. Everything we've seen up to this point was slow, clunky and buggy all for the sake of forcing in desktop mode and having one interface for both the desktop and mobile versions. If the concept is to ever make a resurgence it must be with an ad-hoc interface and dedicated apps like android.

Besides there was never a real point in the effort of merging the two experiences, switching desktop environment is pretty easy in linux distros - all it takes is to log out and back in with the right de. In fact there were already perfectly functional arm ports of multiple distributions, all they needed to do was create a simple touch oriented de which mimicked the basic functionality of android. Hell I'm pretty sure there are KDE themes that are sufficiently touch friendly for this purpose. And then write apps for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, VicBar said:

Wow this is very suprising! I feel it's Huge, I've always known Ubuntu with Unity... Isn't my distro of choice but DAMN... Sad IMHO, It was the only real shot any GNU/Linux distro had of a solid OSX like ecosystem. Though it has been dead for a while.. I just hurts to see them put the final nail on the coffin. I never hated Unity really... But it isn't my desktop environment of choice either..

Ubuntu was pretty solid back when it ran gnome 2, it just got worse and worse ever since they made the switch. Ubuntu MATE (which uses a gnome 2 fork) is considered significantly better in many ways. I too found unity to be all right, but that's not enough when there is so much choice in the linux world.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can someone explain because I only used Ubuntu for my first time within the past few months. What exactly is Gnome and what's the difference going to be from what Ubuntu has now?

RIP last slim hope for a good phone OS.

I was really looking forward to getting 16.04 on my Meizu 5 PRO.

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Can someone explain because I only used Ubuntu for my first time within the past few months. What exactly is Gnome and what's the difference going to be from what Ubuntu has now?

gnome is a different desktop enviroment from unity. short (and kinda inaccurate) said: its the GUI.

unity basically is everything on this website: https://unity.ubuntu.com/

gnome is basically everything on this website: https://www.gnome.org/

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

https://www.lifewire.com/ubuntu-unity-vs-gnome-2201173

Ubuntu will looks different. Think going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

gnome is a different desktop enviroment from unity. short said: its the GUI.

unity basically is everything on this website: https://unity.ubuntu.com/

gnome is basically everything on this website: https://www.gnome.org/

Oh. I hope it's not going to be some kind of big re-learning experience for remembering where everything is.

Just now, Okjoek said:

Oh. I hope it's not going to be some kind of big re-learning experience for remembering where everything is.

i find that gnome is really intuitive if you have some experience with tech. settings are in logical places imo.